Latest Sonos App - Do not Upgrade

Userlevel 5
Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 5 replies

Just upgraded to the latest, new and improved Sonos app on my mobile phone (iPhone) and it has led to my losing my complete music library which is on a NAS.

After some discussions with support, they confirmed that this option is not available - only the commercial streaming services (and it does recognise Plex) are visible and accessible but no proprietary My Music Library.

Allegedly this will be rolled out in a future iteration, but no timeframe provided.

Beware if you are considering upgrading

150 replies

iPhone user here. The black app could see my Play 3 briefly when I forced a check for updates but my Play 3 after that update and my Roam and Play 1’s… all of my speakers can’t be seen by the app now.

Spotify sees them fine but not the app.

Tried the support live chat because the uk support number was perma engaged and got told no one available end chat.

Having sat through the S1/S2 fiasco where my not even old original play 5 got obsoleted, this seems like another giant misstep by Sonos.

If it’s going to be a few months to get the features back can Sonos provide iOS users with the older version of the app (the one that worked). 

Badge

Just upgraded to the latest, new and improved Sonos app on my mobile phone (iPhone) and it has led to my losing my complete music library which is on a NAS.

After some discussions with support, they confirmed that this option is not available - only the commercial streaming services (and it does recognise Plex) are visible and accessible but no proprietary My Music Library.

Allegedly this will be rolled out in a future iteration, but no timeframe provided.

Beware if you are considering upgrading

My app just got upgraded and now I’ve lost the old TuneIn and my created “station” that allowed me access to my turntable through a Raspberry Pi setup. 

Since they upgraded the app my YouTube music isn't working properly? If I load a random "my supermix" play mix it shows a list of songs but when I click on it it plays something totally random and also won't let me edit the playlist.

I totally agree.  The new update has ruined local library, alarms, sleep timer …. Everything I used to use … and I can’t roll back either …. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

No longer have access to my music library on my NAS via the Android app after the update automatically installed.  Simply astounding.  

Uninstall it and download the last version from March from one of the apk mirror sites 

My album art is missing on my android, for my music library tracks, and the three dots, where the sleep timer used to be accessed comes up with “Unable to load Some information is missing from this content”

I just fixed Radioplayer (Canada) by removing and re-adding it to the list of “my Services”. Worked right off the bat. It was a bit easier to do on the PC app.

That said,

I do like the new PC app for creating playlists and shuffling. Before, it would shuffle, or un-shuffle. It would always shuffle the same, and restore the original order if you shuffled again. Now I can shuffle repeatedly, and get a more random order. It is great when you put several tracks from an artist at a time in a large playlist, and don’t want to play them sequentially.

Badge

Since updating to the new Sonos app on iOS, I can’t access my sub to increase or decrease the bass?

I can’t add tracks to playlists or clear playlists or individual tracks?

Sonos should not be releasing a half finished app without first warning people, at least give the option to roll back to the previous version. 

It goes without saying that this will severely damage the Sonos brand. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi All,

Since the return of fundamental features (like, call me crazy, accessing and searching music on my NAS) seems to be months away, I reinstalled the previous Sonos app from APK Mirror. Everything is back and working fine. For those with Android, it’s probably the best solution.

Userlevel 1

This ‘update’ is beyond words. In my 40 years of computer experience, I have NEVER seen such a huge failure.

So much loss of functionality and also a visual disaster. I valued SONOS a 9 out of 10, but now a 3 !

I think I will move to another product, when the old app doesn't work anymore.

I don't believe in complaining. Here happened so much incompetence. The only thing they are capable of is returning to the old, but most probably to protect an imaginary thing, they won't.

I've re-installed the latest apk on my android.

Let see how long it will keep working 💪

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Apparently no one working at Sonos uses their own products or they would already know the dog crap they're putting out. Or....they just don't care. Keep your eyes on media in the upcoming days because they've seen what's going on.

I’d suggest that the only way to make our feedback heard at Sonos is to leave poor reviews in the App Store (for iOS users at least). 

Same as aswooi, the ‘old’ (and free!) TuneIn service seems unavailable for the new version of the Sonos app - only the TuneIn(new) can be added.  Who pays $9.99/month to listen to live radio???

I’ve added RadioPlayer, but it’s behaviour is inconsistent: sometime works, other times states an ambiguous error.

Music Library is available as one of ‘Your Sources’, almost as an afterthought.

Sonos marketeers say they have updated the app after listening to their users.  I can’t imagine many people have asked for this setup...

The Sonos radio free tier has basically all of the content that tunein has afaict so if you don’t like the new tunein you can try that. If you have custom radio links saved these don’t work though, at least not for me. The really annoying thing about Music Library is that it can take a long time for it to load and sometimes requires a force close for it to appear again.

Thanks Bumper: Ill try that...

Has broken Idagio streaming, a disastrous upgrade - wish I’d read this thread first :)

Badge

Sonos says its controversial app redesign took ‘courage’. I think it's reckless to remove one of the most important features. For me the NAS function was the reason to choose Sonos. Also with the upgrade from S1 to S2. If Sonos persist in this recklessness, there will never be a new Sonos again for me. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sonos says its controversial app redesign took ‘courage’. I think it's reckless to remove one of the most important features. For me the NAS function was the reason to choose Sonos. Also with the upgrade from S1 to S2. If Sonos persist in this recklessness, there will never be a new Sonos again for me. 

Being courageous didn't mean having to reduce functionality.

Guess it takes some courage to release an upgrade without adequately testing it. As they say, all software undergoes User Acceptance Testing, just sometimes it is after release

Userlevel 1

Yah...I have  everytime connection loss when opening app..."can t find Sonos'..takes a minute...😡...like why??

I ve removed it, and downloaded the previous app as an APK, installed it...working great again!

Maybe in a few months when Sonos has their shit together with the latest 80. App I may try again...and if its still wonky I ll switch back😀

Not to mention missing features and a lousy layout

Android user here. Upgraded app cannot find my speakers. I just get Error:1000.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Right now there is no basis for a class action. However, when they lock us out of the apk versions android users have downloaded (and eventually they will)  we will have the harm needed to go after them. 

Userlevel 2

My phone updated automatically, so I set my tablet to not update as I wanted to keep the old app. I just found out that  it has now updated so I've lost all the functions I wanted. Beyond frustrating 

Userlevel 1

I left a " nice " 1 star review on Play store, not too friendly, lol.

Maybe more should do so,  so that they will hire somebody to make a "simple" working app for a system that costs thousands of dollars..

Otherwise I m done with Sonos...there where always some issues ( ....why...???).

But this is it...and knowing them...this will take several months, they dont seem to care....

Userlevel 1

New app is a shocker if you rely on NAS for music.  The removal of search and alphabetical selection make it virtually unusable.  I wasn’t going to upgrade but IPad did it automatically.  SONOS should allow S2 app to be reinstalled until they sort out the new one.  Removal of features in the upgrade is really unfriendly.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

All sonos victims should contsct their local media outlets with this story. Lets see if we can get these fools stock to crash. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I reinstalled the old S2 Android app from APK Mirror, but it eventually auto-updated to the newest version. I reinstalled the S2 version again and turned off auto-update. Hopefully, that will work so I can keep using version S2. I use a NAS for all my local music, so the new upgrade is a disaster.