Answered

I can't play music from YouTube Music

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

108 replies

You may want to try a reboot of your router, followed by a reboot of your speakers. 

I’ve stopped my Youtube Premium account (up to six month and you keep your data) and used my Amazon Music account (included with premium) hoping Youtube or Sonos will care one day...

I have the same problem! 

Hi everyone, anyone found a legit fix for this? Ive racked my brains for 3 hours on Sonos customer support. If they make you do all the connectivity, dont bother coz it is not that for the same logic that other music services work perfectly, tried Amazon and Google Music. I am not getting access denied error but Unable to play song, not encoded correctly, but the very second I try again it play so def. not an encoding issue else it would never play it

Hey, this exactly happening to me too. Songs are skipping and getting the same messages although not the same experience with Spotify, soundcloud for example. 

Will this be solved soon?

Hi everyone, there’s an update that went out today that should make some big improvements here. Please test out YouTube music and let us know if you’re still having this encoding error come up.

Hi - Yes. Still have the error coming up in Sonos app. I can go to Google and look at activity and it shows the songs (videos though) as being played for the short period before it errors in Sonos. So the Sonos app is attempting to talk to YouTube Music, get’s a connection and link, then get’s an encoding error as it is a video it is hitting and not YouTube Music (therefor the encoding error).

All other aspects of the YouTube connection are positive in Google. 3rd party apps shows the Sonos app has permissions for YouTube Music.

There are so many rabbit holes to follow, but it looks like the Sonos app is sending the wrong call to YouTube and getting a “Vidio” response rather than a “Mp4/Music encoding” response and can’t play it.

It would be appreciated if you could respond ASAP.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same problem here.   Also a YouTube premium member..   I tried to do an Artist Shuffle on Leonard Cohen.    It seemed to play everything from 2 albums but not any of the others..  it almost seems like a licensing issue from YouTube for 3rd party streamers but what do I know?    I hope they can resolve it soon.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I take it back..  Doesn’t seem like a licensing issue anymore.   What tracks will play when seems totally random.   It will play tracks it was just unable to play and then not play other tracks that it was just playing..    Seems pretty sure to be a Sonos bug now.

Sad it still hasn't been fixed and no word from Sonos. I just found YouTube Premium also gives Google Play Music access which is working for me in the Sonos app, so I'll run with that for now. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey. I contact both Sonos and Google about Youtube music service. Unable to play ‚track name’ access is denied. This seems to be Google and Youtube Music issue. They got all info about issue also gave them link to this forum and Google team promise to contact me back whitin 24-48 hours. Other services like Spotify Amazon Tidal work without problems.

It may be a Google/YouTube issue but it still seems like something Sonos should be figuring out with them directly instead of users having to do it.   It must be affecting everyone isn’t it?

Any other similarities?   I’m in Canada..  it’s happening to USA customers as well?

Clearly Sonos is not doing anything about this.  Sonos, your app does NOT work with youtube music properly.  It keeps saying “youtube music unavailable currently pls try again later” everytime i request for a song through google assistant with my Sonos Move, but if i play it through the app it works.  The sonos app is clearly not exchangin authentication properly with youtube music when using alexa to authenticate.  Pls do something about it as your device is already overpriced and does not work as advertised!!

Hi @DJ Trix.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

At this time, customers can upload their locally saved tracks to YouTube Music and stream them on Sonos for free. To stream the entire YouTube Music catalog on Sonos, customers need a premium account. That said, we’re always evolving the listening experience with our partners over time.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Hi Mark- The information you have posted is not correct- I have YT Premium family membership and nothing in this thread helped me to stream music that was not part of my uploads. I experience the same “connection lost” error reported by others.

Same issue for the last few days YT :(  premium family plan.

@Sur Realist : Perfect !! It works perfectly now !! Thank you for your help !!

This issue has not been answered and the update did nothing. 

Badge

Just got this email from Sonos Support:

Hi there,

Thanks again for contacting Sonos.

We wanted to follow up and ensure that your case was resolved. If you need anything else, simply reply to this email and let us know that you need help. If all is well, keep an eye out for a follow-up survey shortly.

Thanks,
The Sonos Team

Is this a joke? They’ve done nothing… I’ve replied to them how disappointed I am. Wondering if they’ll get back to me...

Badge

hoping Youtube or Sonos will care one day...

I actually think Sonos DO care. I’ve had them on the phone twice running diagnostics on my system. I really think the problem is with YouTube. And the question is if THEY care which I’m inclined to think they don’t. I was told the “access denied” is also served if Sonos logs into YouTube Music and cannot find the track in question. Someone else in this thread wrote something about YTM consolidating the tracks from an artist from multiple channels into one (what ever a channel is?). This sounds more likely to be the root cause than Sonos relaying out account info to YTM.

Badge

Any other similarities?   I’m in Canada..  it’s happening to USA customers as well?

I’m in Denmark… just got an update in my twitter dialog with Sonos support. They want to know if the supporter I spoke to on the phone tried setting up one of their test accounts on my system. He did but was prompted to provide info from the iPhone attached to the account(!). No one knew anything about that :-)

Same problem here,  premium family plan.

I have now listed my Sonos stuff on buy and sell site, the races is if some one buy my stuff or Youtube/Sonos can get it to work first.

I have the same issue with GPM and YTM and also have a Family account through YouTube Premium.  Will periodically start to play something but then cut out.  Can never click on a song and have it play from either YTM or Google play.  The only way I can play music is if the music is on my phone directly, in “My Library”.  Sort of defeats the purpose of paying for streaming though!

Help!

Google gave me 2 weeks free even though I didn’t ask for anything yet since the issue is still unresolved. But there are so many changes in youtube these days I’m pretty sure they are to blame and know it.

Got the same problem. YTM Family. 
my work around is to play using Airplay from the YouTube music app. Though, I want to use the Sonos app for better controls. 

https://youtu.be/-k2QLoRSAAQ

Some times i can play some music, maybe interesting error.

still no resolution in 2020….

Userlevel 1
Badge

I wonder if we could get someone from Sonos to actually chime in on this thread?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I also have YouTube premium family plan..   I wonder if it’s related to being on the family plan?