Answered

Connection to Spotify was lost

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

125 replies

This has nothing to do with wireless interference. They work perfectly fine if I stream a radio station from tuneIn but don’t work when using Spotify premium. When I press play I get an initial low hiss then it stops and says the stream can’t be played. 

Thanks Kyle, I think my problem may have been in the network. The Play 3 was connected to the 5Ghz router network via my iMac which had an outdated Sonos controller. When I started and updated the controller it was only linked to the Play 3. I selected the 2Ghz network on the iMac and all 3 speakers appeared and Napster service now remains on the iPhone. Thank you for your help. 

Hi @rhalrm. Thanks for posting.

I have taken a look at your diagnostic and I do see interference present on the Sonos system. To assess where this may be coming from, would you be able to hardwire the Sonos player directly to the router and let me know if the audio plays more reliably?

Hi Adam, thanks for the reply.

I have had the ethernet cable connected a couple days now and the problem is still happening multiple times a day. I first tried just with the cable and then with the cable but also disabling wifi on sonos but the problem continued with both.

Diagnostic number: 1342149632

I have at least fund a solution for my problem, or more a workaround.

It seems that Sonos doesn't work well on a mesh network, where there are a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network. If one off my speakers are on the 5 GHz and the rest of the speakers are on the 2.4 GHz, then Spotify stop working.

My workaround.

I divide my network in two differences SSID, one network for Sonos and others devices, that only can function with 2.4 GHz, and one network for 5 GHz.

Now everything works, including Spotify.

Hope it helps.

😀

I have the same problem. 

I can't play any Spotify track from the sonos app (connection lost error massage), neither from the Spotify app selecting the Sonos from the device screen: after I select the Sonos, it says "connecting..." but after some seconds it fails and the Sonos disappear from the device list. 

I'm having this issue in last few days, after almost a year of no problem at all. 

Can you solve the issue? 

I’ve got the same problem. I have two play 3 speakers. They updated recently through the s2 app and now I can’t  play any Spotify.  I can’t stream Spotify from the s2 app or the Spotify app.   I’m hoping there will be a fix soon. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Chiming in that I’m also having Spotify issues the past few days. I will get random song skips, and occasionally it just stops. Nothing at all has changed in my system. I caught a message on my phone that said “connection to Spotify was lost” during one of the skips. Doubtful it is the wireless connection (but I guess shouldn’t rule out completely) as I have Fios in a 1,400 square foot condo and all speakers within 15 feet of my router. 

FIOS isn’t the issue, that the connection between your router and the outside world. In the vast majority of these cases, it’s the connection between the speaker and the router, which boils down to wifi interference or possibly duplicate IP addresses, which should, in a proper router,  get fixed in a 24 hour lease renewal, but doesn’t always happen, for a variety of reasons. 

Thank you for the update.That is certainly odd.

I would recommend additional network diagnostics. Moving forward, I think it would be best to give us a call during operation hours so we can proceed with troubleshooting live.The tools our agents have available to them will be more helpful in this case.

I’m not convinced of your assumption. Different streaming services have differing tolerances for interference, where one will play without issue, another will stutter and stop. It’s certainly worth taking a look at the possibility. 

But ClausN does suggest submitting a diagnostic, as well, since his conclusions (and mine, in concurrence) are merely based on anecdotal discussions, and the knowledge we have of common issues in Sonos use. Surely hard data provided to, and analyzed by, Sonos would be much more useful than assumptions provided by users who have mere experience. 

I have been having these “connection lost” with trying to get Spotify to play on Sonos. Its totally annoying! Never had an issue before but its been doing this for a couple of days now, thought it was just me but see that its more widespread. 

Same here! Really annoyed by this, I’ve been rebooting everything since an hour !! Sonos cannot still link to Spotify… 

https://status.sonos.com/

I got the same issue now and only with Spotify. Other services work fine. Submitted diagnostics (929590551). 

Doesn’t work from either Sonos or Spotify app to Sonos. Spotify alone works fine. 

I too am having Spotify connection issues now. But Pandora works 100% of the time!  I had my Sonos working with Spotify for nearly a year now with no issues.  Not sure what changed several weeks ago.  After reading through all the community reports and tried uninstalling, reinstalling, and reauthorizing using my PC and Android, still cannot get Spotify to work. Diagnostic number 359449923. Please help!

Badge

We have also been having this issue playing Spotify in recent weeks.  It will either say “Connection to Spotify was lost” or “The song was not encoded properly”.  In the former case, mid-song it will jump to the next one; in the later case, it will skip the next song in the list and move to the one after that.  Very, very frustrating..  

Badge

We have also been having this issue playing Spotify in recent weeks.  It will either say “Connection to Spotify was lost” or “The song was not encoded properly”.  In the former case, mid-song it will jump to the next one; in the later case, it will skip the next song in the list and move to the one after that.  Very, very frustrating..  

And:  Your confirmation number is: 1891547473

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @David49, thank you for the update.

I’m glad that it’s working and yes, Sonos can only connect to the 2.4 GHz band from the router with issues connecting to 5 GHz.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out. 

The community is here to help.

@Petros_ Unplug your Sonos speakers from power, then restart your router. When the router has fully restarted, power up Sonos. Restart your controller (phone/tablet/pc etc).

If you use IPhone ensure you have given Sonos access to “local network” in privacy settings.

Same here 5 years strong every work day not issues.  Time to press the revert button over there.  Terrible as it plays throughout my office and my patients and i just love how it skips 5-6 times an hour.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 8:33 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'Baba O'Riley' - the connection to Spotify was lost.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 8:33 AM Pacific Time
Unable to browse music

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 8:51 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'Midnight Rider' - the song is not encoded correctly.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 8:56 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'Way It Goes' - the connection to Spotify was lost.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 9:13 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'Changes - 2015 Remaster' - the song is not encoded correctly.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 9:17 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'Looking for Revenge' - the connection to Spotify was lost.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 9:28 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'Maggie May - Remastered Version' - the song is not encoded correctly.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 9:31 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'All Day and All of the Night' - the connection to Spotify was lost.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 9:44 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'One Kind Of Solomon' - the song is not encoded correctly.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 9:49 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'Brazil' - the connection to Spotify was lost.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 10:02 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'Stay High' - the song is not encoded correctly.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 10:07 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'Secret Preference' - the connection to Spotify was lost.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 10:17 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'Beast Of Burden - Remastered' - the song is not encoded correctly.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 10:23 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'Weekend Friend' - the connection to Spotify was lost.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 10:37 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'Cry On Me' - the song is not encoded correctly.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 10:41 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'Somewhere in Between' - the connection to Spotify was lost.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 10:44 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'Jessica WJ' - the connection to Spotify was lost.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 10:44 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play the selected item.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 10:58 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'Unwind' - the song is not encoded correctly.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 11:01 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'The Boys Are Back In Town' - the connection to Spotify was lost.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 11:11 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'Good Old Days' - the song is not encoded correctly.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 11:17 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'Fresh Squeezed' - the connection to Spotify was lost.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 11:29 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'Needle and Thread' - the song is not encoded correctly.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 11:35 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'Repeat' - the connection to Spotify was lost.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 11:47 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'No Giving Up' - the song is not encoded correctly.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 11:52 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'One' - the connection to Spotify was lost.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 11:54 AM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'One' - the connection to Spotify was lost.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 12:55 PM Pacific Time
Unable to play 'Born in the U.S.A.' - the connection to Spotify was lost.

YES THIS MANY TIMES.

Remind me why I spent £4K on a petulant child, the child is called Sonos, my original children CD Hifi and Yamaha sound bar just played and didn’t have random hissy fits, is this now because I won’t go to S2 that my S1 system is why my kit is bunking? 

funny my 20 year old arcam amplifiers aren’t as flakey as your kit 

Sonos app keeps stating connection lost from Spotify. Is there a fix to this issue?I have tried from my iPhone and MacBook Pro. Both will not connect 

It started working again later yesterday. Seemed to be a temporary outage? Not sure what happened, since Spotify was working on its own, and I tried Sonos radio for a bit and that worked too. I could play spotify on the speakers just fine in the afternoon though.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Sonos Spectator, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community and let me help you with this. First, I need you to know that using S1 or S2 should not cause you any trouble. Can you please submit a diagnostic and reply to us with the confirmation number to further check on this for you? Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

Today suddenly my sonos speakers lost the connection to spotify of some reason, and I am not able to solve the problem. After reinstalling (also clean installs) sonos and spotify apps on my windows laptop and on my pixel phone I am still not able to play from spotify. It plays on my phone or computer, but doesn’t connect to any of my sonos speakers. Sometimes the devices appear in the spotify app on my laptop and always on my phone. But still they doesn’t connect. I don’t know if it is due to spotify or sonos but I seek a solution. So far I couldn’t find any.

Userlevel 2

Our system very frequently has the connection to Spotify was lost error. It drives us nuts. I ran diagnostic 622566166. If you can help us resolve it we would be very grateful. 

This is obviously a problem sonos needs to fix. I too only have this issue with spotify. I have called in a few times, tried several "fixes", and the problem is still ongoing. The last call I was told sonos is working on a known issue with no eta.