We want SONOS App dark mode back!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

163 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
How is that a step forward? Now Playing is now black, but it return Rooms is even more white then before, while the rest of the screens remain untouched ( and thus white).
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
If that’s hard at work I’d hate to see what happens if they are taking it easy.
That is a really underwhelming update, I was expecting far more, I guess it shows the quality of the developer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Wow you peeps are wonderfully encouraging! Sonos clearly went down a blind alley with version 8. This is a step back in the right direction and they are looking for feedback before making further changes. The big usability fix of the navigation is there and very welcome and other changes are afoot, as per the release notes.

Charges to consumer software takes time and sometimes has to be done in smaller steps than even the developer would like. There is no need to be so dismissing, is there?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Obviously it is somewhat better now.... But glad to see they promise more improvements....

The now playing screen is better in black but it looks so bland. Wouldn’t mind so much if it wasn’t for the fact I remember the app used to look very nice in the previous version. Can’t really remember exactly what it used to look like however, does anyone have a screenshot?!

The contrast between Spotify and Sonos is massive. You have to say that Sonos doesn’t look ‘clean’, it sadly looks amateur!
Sonos market themselves as a premium product so I don’t think anyone should hold back from being critical if it doesn’t live up to expectations.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hello all

It's great to see so many responses to this topic about improving the quality of the Sonos app.
There were many topics on the forum started by others about this issue as well.

The Sonos team has made a welcome improvement to the Now Playing screen. Now it is good. Easy to look at close up or at some distance, in dim or bright ambient light.
In my opinion the dark background looks like a quality product, designed for what we use it for.

Please make all the rest of the pages in the same style. The product can look well made, consistent and finished.
Once it's all tidy, please keep it that way.

Thanks to Sonos for the improvements, and thanks forum users for your responses.
Badge
To all who suggested to get Sonopad .. Thank You! I love it only 1 minute in. So much more intuitive I figured everything out in under 30 seconds and the background is not only easier on the eyes but better. Also has some great features Sonos never had. They are Fantastic with their speakers but the app programmers need to go to work for Google.
Googled this to see if I was alone in my hate of the new app.. thankfully not. Sonos there are way more users who are upset than are posting here (I know several) so please fix this fast. For now checking out SonoPad and holding off on my desires to buy the new One until you guys show that you are listening.
I don't currently use the Sonos phone app but I remember the artwork overlay from when I did and I have to agree that was a nice feature. Does Sonopad do that in their app?
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I absolutely hate the new interface. The dark one was much more appropriate when one is using SOnus in a party or diner party - or just a dinner at home. I loved Sonus for the old interface, but if this doesn’t change, I am going to sell all of my Sonus units on eBay and move to a system with a better interface. Alexa et al may not have such good sound, but the UI is so much more important. What do you all recommend?

You mentioned that here

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/show-some-courage-sonos-withdraw-the-new-app-6791584?postid=16154138

Oh, and here

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/the-new-ui-user-interface-for-ios-released-in-10-2017-is-a-step-backward-6791513?postid=16154137

You might want to invest in some Sonos gear, i've heard it's pretty good.
The bright background on new SONOS app release is not an improvement.
It's too bright in a dark room, intrusive, hard too see in a light room, and it eats my battery.
Don't like it.

Users speak up. If enough people ask, maybe the app developer will listen.

Brighter is not better.
Please give us back the dark background theme.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Don't Sonos take any notice? I haven't found a single comment that likes the new app, and even accounting for reporting bias (unhappy people complain more), that has to mean something. It's gone from hero to zero in one update.

I like the new app. It logically arranges things instead of the mish mash approach ofnthe previous incarnation. Much easier to use.

Maybe I am a very strange and oddly behaved Sonos user in that I listen to music instead of exercising my overblown sense of entitlement that the world should conform to my ideals about a screen and how dare companies not bend to my will.

Now then, if you whined and whinged about the behaviour of the queue, aka something sensible to critique, then your world would be a much happier place that much quicker. Or do you think the queue behaviour is perfect for you?

Update, just fine, problems with the queue, still there.
My Sonos requested that we did an update last night. Quite surprised about the change with the display and some of the layout. It would be useful if there were more options to re-arrange the layout to personal preference and change the background colour. I find this extremely bright and would imagine this will prove difficult for those who suffer from Dyslexia. More flexibility to suit bespoke requirements is required.
Badge
Another vote for the dark UI experience... combined with the artwork background (and intuitive navigation) from the pre-8.x app.

Sorry to those who have adapted to the new UI, but I am tired of hearing the cursing from those around me (and me too) when the app takes them to somewhere they didn't expect or want to be.

Has anyone else noted that the (dark) UI reached from the settings option looks largely unchanged from the pre-8.x app?

Suggests even more to me that the room/music navigation experience was someone's bright (sorry) idea and makes the app appear more disjointed than it should be.

Cheers!
The "Dark" mode won't use less battery power than the regular mode. The backlight on the LCD screen burns the same brightness no matter what pixels are masking it. Reduce your brightness as a whole if you mistakenly think having a dark image on your screen makes any difference.
What's going on at Sonos? White skinned app, an age-old macOS app and Alexa gimmicks. They are suddenly giving me lots of reasons to switch to Apple pods next year.
Badge
I also want the option to chose a dark theme. Shouldn't be that complicated to offer that.
I wonder how 8.x on Android would look like with activated color inversion?! :8

https://support.google.com/accessibility/android/answer/6151800?hl=en
Badge +1
Give us options to use our preference.
In this age of time this is not difficult to implement !:?

Agreed... I can totally understand that the space required to provide flexibility may be restricted on the players, but that's not the case for all modern controllers. Any half-way decent piece of modern software usually allows the user to tailor important aspects. I haven't 'upgraded' to the latest version, but even v7.1 is a nightmare on Android phones and tablets in a room with low lighting. It's hard to believe that any professional software designer could have come up with this, but then I don't think that UI issues are Sonos's forte...
I just won’t use it like this. I use the Spotify app primarily which has issues but at least it doesn’t BLIND me! What were Sonos thinking ??!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
The outcry over this app is not quite like we have seen before. I do agree that there are issues with it relative to the previous but I do not struggle with it half as much as others do.

Allow a bit more time to see how Sonos responds to the feedback. They have said that they are taking it on board. So let’s wait and see.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Ok. Let’s wait to see what the future actually holds. No point in speculating.
Can I roll back the update to get the dark skin back?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I had tried a while back but no universal search was its big issue for me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
While I like the idea of the navigation at bottom (reminds me of older Sonos apps), I do think going back to version 6 they have put no thought into the landscape tablet mode. It’s just a spread out version of portrait mode. They are missing a lot of opportunity to make it a much more functional interface (as can be seen in the old version on desktop). I think there priorities continue to be elsewhere but landscape mode has so much potential.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Other than the search bar at top not being a universal search. I find the desktop to be the perfect landscape view.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
With low power no-name tablets being so low cost nowdays (£50 isn't uncommon), maybe it might be worth Sonos considering buying in the hardware and selling a dedicated controller again with software they can write to maximise the potential of its larger screen. They can continue to write for the IOS / Android a more generic app. I could then forgive it looking like it does on my Ipad :-)

I'm not exactly a fan of winding up with a house full of - now even more advanced - remote controls again. Even though that appears to be the trend. Who didn't wind up with a Philips hue physical controller, if only to make sure the cleaning lady can turn the light on? :)

If they'd take tablets into account upfront, instead of an after thought, it shouldn't be much of an issue to support. Heck they already did/used to. And the same goes for supporting a dark mode (although it probably should be the default), switching the colors around a bit isn't exactly a big deal.