We want SONOS App dark mode back!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

163 replies

I AGREE too. SONOS please bring back BLACK UI colour option to iOS app. Give us the option of both colours or more! White is to bright and bad for eyes at night !
Please put it back the way it was until you come up with a truly funtional upgrade. The white background is really annoying.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
It's a shame when you've spent nigh on £2k on audio gear it can all be ruined at the flick of an update. Tried going back to 7.4 but lose a lot of setting options.

I wonder if us Android users chuck enought money at the the Sonospad developer he could do an Android version?.
Userlevel 1
Another vote for 'Back to Black'...
Userlevel 3
Doesn't Sonos realize that people listen to music at home in the evening? And with PLAYBAR, people are watching TV, often in a pitch black room. Now I'm looking into a tablet-sized flashlight. When we have get-togethers, we have the iPad set to stay on the whole time Sonos is playing, so folks can see what they're listening to. With the white background, the Sonos app is a major atmosphere-killer at a party. For movie viewing, it's an affront to the eyes.
Hell yeah. Dark mode is much better.
Adding my voice to the NO LIKE the new white background. Please either change it back to a black background or give us the option to change it.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Cross posted from another thread - I made the mistake of telling Google Store to update the Sonos app. Once the app updated it self and all my speakers were upgraded, I found the new UI to be terrible and not have dark backgrounds, among many other issues. I uninstalled the 8.0 app and found an apk mirror for Sonos 7.4, I reverted back to 7.4 for android to get the original, useful UI back that also has the wonderful dark backgrounds and a host of other things. No issues so far... 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge
It's not just the glaring white UI that's a change for the worse. It's more clunky example: the icons along the bottom add nothing but clutter and less ease of use. Another peeve - using Google Play Music, If I am listening and want to search for another song or album, I have to go to a different page, do a search, then return to what's playing. In the old version it was all on one page.
Userlevel 1
Bright mode be gone! Seriously. In times where everyone nags Apple to finally bring a proper dark mode, Sonos thinks it’s a good idea to go bright and on top kill the dark theme as an option?
And who did those icons at the bottom? Music app 2013 much?
The white background Is way too bright and very annoying! Please give us the option to change it back to black! I use Sonos a lot in dark environments and the new background is distractibg. I didn't personally think there was anything wrong with the previous version. I was horrified when I opened the update!?????
The previous app was much better. Background, general navigation and room switching have all taken a big step backwards. Do your designers actually use the app? Sonos hardware is too good for you UI to be this bad. Please consider rolling back to the previous app until you can launch a real upgrade.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
The white is only beginning of the abomination of this new roll out. Bring back list view.
I absolutely hate the new interface. The dark one was much more appropriate when one is using SOnus in a party or diner party - or just a dinner at home. I loved Sonus for the old interface, but if this doesn’t change, I am going to sell all of my Sonus units on eBay and move to a system with a better interface. Alexa et al may not have such good sound, but the UI is so much more important. What do you all recommend?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
TBH, I can tolerate the fact that there’s no new features and they’re harder to find, if only it wasn’t so butt ugly! Bring back the black!
Userlevel 2
My 4 Ipads are mounted on walls and at night they light the rooms, making it impossible to sleep in the same room when the App is open. Please give us a background option.
Its so bright on my tablet. How can one relax with the lights dimmed. I might as well be holding a flashlight. Good thing I use Spotify's app.
Userlevel 1
So the first update (8.1) - nothing. still only white. i am using my rdp session on my server with the desktop controller, and the color inversion in my phone so i don't get crazy after 2min at night browsing music in the Sonos App.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yeah an update to this new unintuitive and horrible white theme - I thought...

But nothing, no improvement at all!

That's it for me, after many disappointments I definetly won't buy any new Sonos gear...

Sonos just got worse with the years, no more audible support, disabling the usability, only horrible white theme...
I hate changes!
No, wait, I hate changes which are not improvements!
And a 6" smartphone screen at night (or actually, at any time of day) in glistering bright white with a little black line here and there - that is NOT an improvement!

Give me black back, or I am done buying new Sonos gear and will settle for running down what I have before walking away and hating Sonos forever after. They are not unique anymore, in case they have forgotten.
Agree with all, why not an option Black or White?
Userlevel 1
The bright background on new SONOS app release is not an improvement.
It's too bright in a dark room, intrusive, hard too see in a light room, and it eats my battery.
Don't like it.

Users speak up. If enough people ask, maybe the app developer will listen.

Brighter is not better.
Please give us back the dark background theme.

The dark background is never coming back. Supernova mode is the only option. Get used to it - or try Denon, Bose, or Samsung. If you still have your solar eclipse goggles, you could try those - but I'd still limit the time spent looking directly at the app.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Does have its uses. My daughter needed a bright backlight for her tissue paper coloured windows from school. First thought.... the new Sonos app! Perfect. Bright as a beacon, just the ticket!

Still looks terrible though.
Userlevel 3
Badge
#BRINGBACKTHEBLACK
Badge +1
The "Dark" mode won't use less battery power than the regular mode. The backlight on the LCD screen burns the same brightness no matter what pixels are masking it. Reduce your brightness as a whole if you mistakenly think having a dark image on your screen makes any difference.
OLED uses less power on black because black is literally off.