We want SONOS App dark mode back!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

163 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
It would be really cool if we could have an IPad / tablet version that looks less like...

And a bit more like, oh I dunno ... this ?

The bottom one was done by an amazing company called Sonos.

No comparison, really ! :D

Andrew
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
It would be really cool if we could have an IPad / tablet version that looks less like...

And a bit more like, oh I dunno ... this ?

The bottom one was done by an amazing company called Sonos.

No comparison, really ! :D

Andrew

Andrew as many know I have defended the notion that the current app is usable while not better than the previous. I have managed with it ok. However, your simple comparative pictures though make the most compelling case. The older version is certainly a better and more appropriate interface for multiform use. Any objective assessment would come to that conclusion. The former approach gave you a more holistic dashboard - a clear sense of where you are and options for your musical experience.

I recognize that Sonos for whatever reason wanted an interface that followed Spotify, Apple and Deezer. But it really is not necessary and no one in Sonos has really provided a logical reason why it is.

So its a New Year and I do recognize that Sonos is trying hard to grow its business and please new and existing customers. Its a tough ask. I have decided to now support those calling for a reversion to an interface without a navigation bar. It is the better approach. Again I can use the navigation bar as I use both Apple Music and Deezer so I am comfortable with it. In the end though Sonos should not ape for the sake of aping and change for the sake of it. This is not a change for the better in terms of a multi room set up.

I do not think having a visible navigation bar at the bottom even on Now Playing screen really fixes anything.

So after much discourse I will support reverting from the navigation bar. While I will live if this does not happen I am a big man who can change his mind and support the right thing.

Sonos please recognize that you are not a regular streaming service but a multi-room set up. You offer a different value proposition and should have a software experience that supports it in the best way and the navigation bar approach is not it. It really isn't.

I don't know the full scale of your limitations but give deep thought to the way forward. Leaving pride aside.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone. The team has been hard at work incorporating your feedback to the Sonos app and 8.3 is now available. For details on what's changed, take a look here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Since I spend 99% of my time on the now playing screen fixing it has solved most of my glare problem. I'd like the other screens fixed too but I'm happy to see what we got.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I'd like to have the option dark and light. For now its Sonospad...
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Just downloaded Sonopad again. Man what a relief to my eyes again. Nice dark colors, pfew....

Thanks for the reminder!

I've played a bit with Sonopad some years ago, at that point I was missing too much functionality to make it my primary controller. But now it's a serious alternative for the official Sonos app.
I'm pleased to see Sonopad evolved to a very capable Sonos controller. And I love the consistency of the app over the years; where Sonos seems to change their app for the sake of change, Sonopad actually improved the functionality of the app.

I did some testing with Sonopad on my iPad Mini and Sonos app on my wife's iPad Air2. Sonopad is at least as fast running on the older iPad, but also for most daily activities I do with Sonos, I need equal or less buttons to press.

Very nice, I removed the Sonos app and I'm now formal user of Sonopad!
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I have requested some updates to the Windows PC version. I guess I will take that back and just ask to not touch it, LOL
Userlevel 2
As others have said. Simply give the option of white on black or black on white. It can't be that hard can it? I updated on my work phone to test it out, needless to say I won't be updating it on my own phone.
Also, why now does it scroll across the artist and track info of what you are listening too? Before it was simply written down in smaller lettering. It's always a step backwards isn't it?
Oh, and the artwork is smaller now, and there is no nice silhouette effect in the music queue, how is that better?
Userlevel 3
Sadly, sonopad is only for Apple products. Anyone know something for Android phone? Need a useable controller, the original one is now terrible!
I agree with everyone for all the reasons provided. Making the awfully bright white background the only choice after being dark for so long was absurd!!!
Like many others I HATE the new white background. The latest update is definitely not an improvement. I signed up so that I can voice my opinion. Please at least give the option for a black background.
completely agree!! Please bring back dark skin. white background is a beacon of light in dark room.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I know this isn’t a hotline to Sonos, but re the above, I think some indication would be nice.......

Sonos, are you listening ????

It should be a source of some embarrassment that some of your users are now looking to 3rd party apps to control your hardware!
I also prefer the black background. White is too bright.
I am not a fan of the newest Sonos app for iPhone. In its efforts to simplify things, they’ve done the opposite. My biggest gripe is the bright white eye sore background. It has the same look as current iTunes app, which I also hate. Most album art looks terrible against it. Using the app at night is murder on my eyes. PLEASE make a dark mode ASAP. Good thing is that for the years I’ve been a Sonos customer, they’ve always listened to their customers. I have no doubt they’ll do the right thing. They always do.
Userlevel 3
I agree!
Userlevel 3
Sadly, sonopad is only for Apple products. Anyone know something for Android phone? Need a useable controller, the original one is now terrible!

Just google 'Sonos 7.4 apk' and install the old version again

Thanks for the tip. However, once a user installs the older version, they'll be nagged to update forever. That reminder will be in their notification shade for eternity. If they turn off reminders, they'll miss all their other app updates and will have to check for updates manually and do them one by one, skipping Sonos. Reverting to a previous iOS version is even worse than Android. If you install the previous version (from a pre-8.0 backup), Sonos will nag you relentlessly until you update.
So glad to discover that I'm not the only one who feels this way - I use AirPlay Mirroring from my iPad to show the Sonos UI on my large screen TV and the glaring bright white UI is a super buzz kill in my living room. Please add a toggle to select light/dark modes for the UI!
Flattliner- it's not a whining sense of entitlement- this isn't government doll or free restaurant meal coupons. We've all paid thousands of dollars for hardware and expect the software to be well vetted and beta'ed before release- and well serviced. Plus- it goes beyond our needs- most of us love Sonos and want to ensure it lives on and prospers- caution and warning to any business that has a development team and executive management that evolve into "Yes Men". Focus your energies there.
The bright background on new SONOS app release is not an improvement.
It's too bright in a dark room, intrusive, hard too see in a light room, and it eats my battery.
Don't like it.

Brighter is not better.
Please give us back the dark background theme.

I agree, plese bring back (or add an option) the dark background for my controllers. Only the white one is horrible!
Userlevel 2
Pull your finger out SONOS. Nobody likes your ‘update’. I’ve given up with it now and just use the SPOTIFY app directly instead. Much easier on the eyes.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I don't know what else to say except they just don't care about what anyone thinks. How this app got released even though people were complaining vehemently on the beta forum boggles my mind. Unless you go with "they just don't care".

Steve
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Allow a bit more time to see how Sonos responds to the feedback. They have said that they are taking it on board. So let’s wait and see.

It's as TheHellers says. This app shouldn't have gotten past beta, let alone go through several updates without any of the issues being addressed.

And given the extent of the backlash, Sonos response of planning to make some changes in future versions, doesn't sound like much of an acknowledgement or commitment to address the laundry list of issues.
Userlevel 3
Hi everyone. The team has been hard at work incorporating your feedback to the Sonos app and 8.3 is now available. For details on what's changed, take a look here.

Thanks and kudos to Ryan and the Sonos team. The new black Now Playing screen is a huge step in the right direction. I'm looking forward to seeing the next round of improvements!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The wife offered to loan me one of her CR-100s when she heard me fussing about the white screen hurting my eyes. Don't laugh, I took the CR-100 and it is a big improvement for night use.