We want SONOS App dark mode back!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

163 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What would be benefit of sonos made controller vs a dedicated cheap tablet?
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
What would be benefit of sonos made controller vs a dedicated cheap tablet?

The line of thought may be why bother with tablet mode when (almost) everyone has a phone in their pocket.

Tbh im of this mind.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Well to be honest, there shouldn’t be any benefit in theory. That’s if the phone / tablet app was as it as it could be. However Sonos has apps for IOS and Android and has to cater for multiple OS versions and screen sizes, etc. As above, I suspect that Sonos has catered for the lowest common denominator. Use is not made of larger screens or landscape mode. Writing for a dedicated Sonos controller would be easier when the hardware was known and locked down. Small tablets are so cheap these days, it probably Could be made for less than a Play 1.

Andrew
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I had tried a while back but no universal search was its big issue for me.

My initial thoughts as well. However the Sonos ‘universal search’ is also limited and the SonoPad search engine has some benefits over Universal search that made me change my mind about it.

Universal search does search across multiple libraries, but you have to manual select artist, track, album, etc. to find what you are looking for.
The search function on SonoPad works differently; first you select the library you are interested in (on local network, Deezer, Radio, etc) and once you key in your search string it search within that library for artist, album, track, composer, etc all at once and shows the result under artist, album, track, composer, all in the same view. I’ve found that really useful, actually more useful than the Universal search especially for classical music.

I hope one day these two search functions will be combined to a real Universal search.
Unbelievable that they would take away the dark mode?!?!?
They obviously don’t use their own app in the bedroom?!?!?
Userlevel 2
Seriously? This is the fix? A black background on the now playing screen but still eyeball destroying white on all the other screens? It’s still bland with small album cover artwork. As Keeper said above, I’d love to see the results if you were taking it easy. Such a disappointment. Here’s a hint, look at the SPOTIFY app and do that, or better still, just bring back the version before this mess, you know, the one that worked well and looked nice, just saying.
Userlevel 2
Yes yes yes Thank you so much for the latest update. Black is back!
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Wow you peeps are wonderfully encouraging! Sonos clearly went down a blind alley with version 8. This is a step back in the right direction and they are looking for feedback before making further changes. The big usability fix of the navigation is there and very welcome and other changes are afoot, as per the release notes.

In terms of color they may be trying a little bit to get out of that blind alley, but for the navigation they stubbornly keep pushing forward with a flawed concept. Because the product managers believes in it. As a result the now playing screen is suddenly a cluttered mess or worse (on smaller screens)..

The contrast between Spotify and Sonos is massive. You have to say that Sonos doesn’t look ‘clean’, it sadly looks amateur!
Sonos market themselves as a premium product so I don’t think anyone should hold back from being critical if it doesn’t live up to expectations.

Fully agree, the way they deal with design is plain amateur hour. Case in point is indeed the Spotify app, where the now playing screen is a breath of fresh air in comparison with Sonos 8.3.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks for the feedback everyone. We hear you, and I completely understand your frustration. Sometimes the app can be too bright. Turning the screen brightness definitely helps, but it's not the same.

We've been sharing with the development team so they can look into this. I don't have any specifics to share, but I want to assure you that this is just the start of the new app. You'll see it improve in a number of ways as we go. As soon as there's any word we can share with you all, we'll let you know!
+ 1
The bright background on new SONOS app release is not an improvement.
It's too bright in a dark room, intrusive, hard too see in a light room, and it eats my battery.
Don't like it.

Users speak up. If enough people ask, maybe the app developer will listen.

Brighter is not better.
Please give us back the dark background theme.
As has been stated before, Sonos reps read each and every post in these boards, so yes, they are listening.

And they constantly provide feedback to the development teams. Your voices are indeed being heard.