Answered

trueplay for Android?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

135 replies

World Phone Market Share 2015

IOS:: 11.90 %

Android: 84.60 %

You would think that Sonos would find a way !!!
Yes LHC , I understand the issue of the varying devices. Somewhere there is a solution. But my decision would have been to get people working on the largest market share first by concentrating on just those Android devices that met their requirements for commonality.

Total world Iphones: 151 million units - Total world Samsung Android phones : 300 million units,- Other Android manufacturers: 460 million units. I understand where you are coming from.

This is just MHO
Why do I think if bestday were an iDevice owner, his "decision" would be to get the easiest implementation out to the public first, and work on the hard one later? Just a hunch.
I can accept the reasoning that there are too many Android devices to make the True Play run the way they want. Makes sense.

However, what doesn't make sense is that there is "no" Android devices supported. No one is expecting Sonos to come out with a new feature and support a wild amount of devices.

It would make far more sense, if they released True Play for the select top tier Android phones on the market (which probably number around the same, as all of the iDevices currently supported). This is the same as the PC market, where you need a certain level of hardware to run certain programs. Some is supported, some is not.
Badge
I could always embarrassingly ask to borrow my mates iphone.
Do that, it is a one time requirement unless you change the location or configuration. Toggling it on/off later at any time does not need the apple device.

thanks for your helpful answer....:8
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
"We will continue to explore the use of Android for Trueplay tuning, but can't confirm that it will be supported in the future."

Any new on progress on this front please?
Badge
Wow, I'm very disappointed Sonos doesn't support TruePlay on Android devices. I just bought two Play:3's and two Play:5's only to find out it's an iOS only feature? Not acceptable. Glad I bought from Amazon - all 4 are getting returned.
I'm a new Sonos customers and have so far been very impressed with the product. One of the selling points however was the ability to use Trueplay and adapt sound to my environment. I'm very disappointed to find that Sonos doesn't support Trueplay for Android users.

I understand that the variation in Android devices makes it harder to develop software across the board but many other companies have achieved just this. Sonos has a reputation as a quality brand and I would expect it to be working hard to offer the same service to all its customers. Not giving any attempt at a roll out date for android is frustrating. Are they just not going to bother? It would be nice to let their customer's know!
Ok so I don't own an iphone, if I buy a second sonos to set up a stereo pair will they work together to get truplay or will I still need a friendly iphone user to visit the house and log on to my system?

You can most certainly pair your speakers and use them without any Trueplay tuning. Trueplay is an optional enhancement, it is not a requirement to use your speakers. You can also borrow an iOS device for Trueplay tuning. Even better, you only need to do it once and the tuning remains in place (as long as you don't move the speakers, of course).
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You can set up a stereo pair no matter what device you use to control Sonos.

TruePlay tuning requires an iOS device to be done. The TruePlay feature is not present in the Android app. Creating a stereo pair won't make TruePlay be possible with the Android app.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Truplay is ONLY available on iOS for the reasons that have been explained multiple times before.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Did you seriously just call iOS a niche product. It has been extensively explained hay android devices have too many different microphones to be able to support.

Why don't you buy a discounted obsolete iOS device or get one from a person trashing to setup your trueplay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
..and before you say they could certify high sales versions. Sonos stated they tried that and there was tremendous variation in the microphone between phones even of the same model. Android suppliers have tended to use too many various vendors to supply parts.
Sonos needs to add support for Android for its Truplay feature. IOS is becoming an increasingfly more niche player in the market and will continue to see its share decline. You can't tell me that there aren't Android models available that offer as good or better audio detection capabilities. Sonos could list an approved, even if a beginning small subset of supported handsets, or even issue a caveat, use at own risk. Currently I own a Pixel handset by Google. Its far and away the best phone I've used or compared against, I hate to see Sonos paint themselves in a corner by supporting only a IOS. Its not the best for their own future. Heck, I love the Sonos product line, but if I were starting from scratch, I might just purchase a Google Home, some Chromecast Audio devices and pick the speakers I want to use. The Google Home with Chromevast Audio functions much like Sonos. And its barely getting off the ground. Sonos will have to up their game to stay extremely competitive, This doesn't entail only backing a one trick pony like IOS.

In the investment world it's no secret that Sonos have been guilty of falling asleep for the last few years, and resting on their laurels a bit while everyone else has played catch up. Their unique selling point is no-longer unique, and that's a big problem for Sonos.

Sonos have been cutting jobs and shares have plummeted in recent years. It isn't a good scenario for the company.

The suspicion is that they simply can't afford the resources to develop for Android.

Amazon Echo technology / Google Chromecast + Bluetooth speakers is pretty much leaving Sonos in the shadows.
..and before you say they could certify high sales versions. Sonos stated they tried that and there was tremendous variation in the microphone between phones even of the same model. Android suppliers have tended to use too many various vendors to supply parts.

That's a poppycock excuse because the microphones in various iOS devices are not the same either.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So you tested huh?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They are different between devices but the same within each model - that is the difference no matter what you want to hear.
Knowles Electronics, AAC, Analog Devices, Goertek etc all supply microphones to iOS devices....they certainly don't always use the same components; manufacturing doesn't work that way. It's dependent on supply chains, availability and stock. Half of them are even rebadged and there's no way to know the originating manufacturer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You seem to know a lot more than Sonos who actually tested devices in their lab for more than a year.

In the investment world it's no secret that Sonos have been guilty of falling asleep for the last few years, and resting on their laurels a bit while everyone else has played catch up. Their unique selling point is no-longer unique, and that's a big problem for Sonos.

Sonos have been cutting jobs and shares have plummeted in recent years. It isn't a good scenario for the company.

The suspicion is that they simply can't afford the resources to develop for Android.

Amazon Echo technology / Google Chromecast + Bluetooth speakers is pretty much leaving Sonos in the shadows.

Shares plummeting? Sonos is privately held.

And I thought you sold your Sonos. Why are you still stalking your ex-girlfriend?

Shares? Sonos is a privately held company. They have no shares. Care to try again?

Privately held companies still have shares, they are just traded privately. Sheesh.

Privately held companies still have shares, they are just traded privately. Sheesh.

So, no answer for why you are still stalking your ex-girlfriend? She's over you, dude. Let it go. 🙂

Shares plummeting? Sonos is privately held.

And I thought you sold your Sonos. Why are you still stalking your ex-girlfriend?

I sold my Sonos "home theatre" setup but kept my Play 1's.

Try again.

I sold my Sonos "home theatre" setup but kept my Play 1's.

Try again.

So you are staying with the girl you hate? Wow, it's worse than I thought.
[quote=jgatie]

I still have Sonos speakers - the 7 update piqued my interest and I actually came here looking for reviews (amongst other places). But all I can find is people complaining about

No Android support
No iPhone 7 support
No ability for users to control channels themselves (still)
No ability to play Spotify Podcasts (still)

So basically confirmed my logic in selling it 🙂