Answered

trueplay for Android?

Userlevel 1
When is trueplay being released for android? ?
icon

Best answer by Max P 12 November 2015, 10:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

135 replies

Hi, totally understand why for now no trueplay on Android, however in an Android predominant house the last functioning ipad which had trueplay working now has the feature removed from the sonos app as its a very early one.

Can I humbly suggest that even a poorer version on android would be better than nothing. Two suggestions, one is a more involved method to normalise the mic before trueplaying (eg challenge response) Im sure the clever tech guys could come up with some method. Two just give us the option to trueplay, but allow manual tweaking of the result. Three (sorry!) even just balancing the playbase+surround speakers would be incredibly beneficial, without changing the sound envelope. Sorry if these have been suggested before. I feel passionately about this!
The Sonos app for android is free, so it's hard to put a discount on that. If you're expecting a discount on the speakers themselves, how would Sonos know whether you're going to use an android or iOS. If you got a discount for using android, would you then owe Sonos money if you controlled the system with iOS?
What sonos has to do it´s clearly specify that with Android you can not balance a pair of speakers...

or make a discount for android...

shameful
What sonos has to do it´s clearly specify that with Android you can not balance a pair of speakers...

shameful

Not sure what balancing a pair of speakers has to do with it? Also, Android users already get the same discount iOS users get for non-working lock screen controls and no ability to connect to Sonosnet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
huh?

shameful
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They have stated MULTIPLE TIMES that they CAN NOT do Trueplay on Android phones because Android isn't consistent on its microphone vendors. They have tried and tested units multiple times and Android proves to be too difficult to get consistency.

I assume you must have given away your old iPhone - but I would suggest picking up some old one cheap (just turn on wifi no phone service needed) or have a friend with iPhone come do the calibration for you.
Userlevel 2
As a 10 year iPhone user, I switched to a Google Pixel 3XL this fall and have no plans on returning to iPhone anytime soon. Last year I spent $2,400 on Sonos speakers. Tonight I discovered that I can no longer tune them because I am not using an Apple iPhone. That is either a pure disregard for your customers or you are saying TruePlay isn't really necessary (unless you're an iPhone user). While I love the sound from my Sonos speakers, they do have a great deal of limitations compared to a much cheaper bluetooth system (i.e. no way to play sound from other applications like bluetooth can). I was willing to work around those limitations, but this TruePlay discovery has a sting to it. You make a Sonos app for my $1,000+ premium phone, but you're not willing to include tuning capabilities unless I am an iPhone user? Either TruePlay is a Sonos feature or it's an Apple iPhone feature. Which is it Sonos?
Yamaha tuners come with a plugin mic with a long cord for this purpose. Simple low cost solution. It wouldnt be that hard to convert that mic to connect to Sonos system. Doesnt have to be a full phone. Would be well under 100 dollars. It doesn't have to look pretty. You only need to use it once (or when you rearrange furniture).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Or latency trueplay is going to be dependent on a uniform and reliable sound via microphone. If microphones have different sound characteristics it's impossible to utilize them unless calibrated for each and every one.
Assuming the issue is latency, why not just scope it to devices which report the "android.hardware.audio.pro" feature? Devices which report this will have the lowest input/output latency and it's enforced by the certification suite.
maybe sonos should consider a simple mic setup that could plug into a speaker in future designs. I had an amp that had this type of feature. I think forcing users to use mobile devices for an in-home setup is very lame.
Given the prices of sonos systems I dont think its unreasonable to add a dollar or two's worth of electronics to a very setup.

Which is probably why you aren't running a $1B audio company, lol.
Userlevel 2
maybe sonos should consider a simple mic setup that could plug into a speaker in future designs. I had an amp that had this type of feature. I think forcing users to use mobile devices for an in-home setup is very lame.
Given the prices of sonos systems I dont think its unreasonable to add a dollar or two's worth of electronics to a very setup.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you read this thread as to why that has not been possible.
TruePlay for Android is very important.

I am sure Sons doesn't want to be known as only supporting proprietary devices.

Maybe Sonos can make a dedicated Andoid controller or "approve" a few devices from major manufacturers such as Samsung.

NJSS
Sonos has in the past made a dedicated controller.

What I am suggesting is that they either:-

1. Test & approve a number of Android devices; and/or

2. Produce a dedicated Android controller, which could be based on an existing Android device.

Supporting Apple devices exclusively is a retrograde step.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, let's cool it on the antagonizing posts and try to stay on topic. I understand wanting to add to the discussion but let's try to get along here. I just deleted a couple posts that weren't going anywhere nice, please try to keep things in line.

Thanks!

Here's another reminder not to attack or antagonize other users. If this continues we will have to lock this thread down and make sure it doesn't spill into other or new threads.

@Insertuernamehere, Chris' post was to Catfoot who had just mentioned that he had an iPhone 7 he could borrow but it wasn't supported for Trueplay. As of today it is supported.
______

We know there's a lot of interest on getting Trueplay working on Android phones. We don't have any new details on that front to share as many of the same challenges that we first ran into continue to exist. If we have any news we'll make sure to let everyone know, but for the moment we'll keep making sure to let the team internally know that it's still a big request
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
iPhone 7 is now supported so catdoot is in luck since he has a mate with an iPhone 7.
Why can't you use your Sonos with android. It is a one time calibration and you would be hard pressed not to have a friend to borrow their iphone for 10minutes. It's very much a ridiculous statement. Just as much as the shares are plummeting for a privately held company that has absolutely no accuracy. Just outright over the top statements and how would you expect to see responses to such nonsense.

Great point. So I borrowed my mates iPhone 7....

Why would you do that unless you're soft in the head or just trying to be difficult for the sake of it?

It's called sarcasm Stuart.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Both
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Why can't you use your Sonos with android. It is a one time calibration and you would be hard pressed not to have a friend to borrow their iphone for 10minutes. It's very much a ridiculous statement. Just as much as the shares are plummeting for a privately held company that has absolutely no accuracy. Just outright over the top statements and how would you expect to see responses to such nonsense.

Why would you do that unless you're soft in the head or just trying to be difficult for the sake of it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I agree.
Don't bother Chris. In all honesty, I shouldn't have either.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, let's cool it on the antagonizing posts and try to stay on topic. I understand wanting to add to the discussion but let's try to get along here. I just deleted a couple posts that weren't going anywhere nice, please try to keep things in line.

Thanks!