Support Windows 8 RT for Surface Tablet and Windows Phone 8 for Mobile Devices

Badge
This is not a full windows 8 platform but will work new surface tablet and Samsung and others plan to use this OS which is not fully windows 8 compatible. It would be very helpful if sonos would support this as the tablet looks promising.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

941 replies

Badge
What is this "We're not at liberty to discuss...." crap. Look there are 900+ people who like the idea and figuring that they would or have purchased parts of the Sonos system and let's say that each one spent $500.00 on it. That's about $450,000.00 in sales... I think not making a windows phone and rt app is an huge oversight to say the least... Who else is with me?
+$3,000 in and SONOS won't support Win 8? Man this really stinks!
Badge
Oh for gods why is this taking so long? I went in to Best Buy last week and ever laptop on sale, is running windows 8. At our office they're migrating to Windows 8 and Surface Pro's. Does any working at Sonos give a damn about their customers?
"Under consideration" Really? Why not be honest and say 'get lost' because that how it sounds.
I am switching from iPhone 4 to Nokia Lumia 1020 (and I am a Sonos user) but where is the Sonos Controller for Windows Phone 8.x?! Please, publish it soon!
Please Sonos, just a little hint at the future would be better then 'under consideration' and the future looks good. Is one being developed and a proposed timescale is all we are asking for. Should I start to look outside of Sonos for a controller or should I wait for an official app to be released?
Userlevel 2
Dear John, dear Sonos. It would really be nice if you published the win phone version very shortly. My whole family has switched from android to win phones (and we still like them) and we are really not happy that we have to wait this long for the win phone app. We bought our phones a year ago ... Even if win phone is just 6 percent of the mobile market, just calculate how many customers are disappointed by the missing Sonos win phone app. You could persuade quite a big number of people to buy Sonos, but without app? Thanks for publishing the app soon.
Userlevel 1
Moderator and/or others at Sonos....can we get an update? Surely this has moved from "consideration" to actual development or near release, right?
Dear Sonos, I've just bought my first Sonos Play:5. I'm a Windows Phone /RT user. Really disappointed I can't get the software on my phone. Please, Please, Please release a Win8 Phone App and RT App
Considering buying my first Sonos product, the Connect Amp, but I'm hesitating due to the lack of support for WinPhone8. Not keen on the idea running a third party app or being dependent on borrowing my wife’s iPad 😞 Starting a PC up for this is out of the question! Only WinPhones authorized on my job, and I really like my Lumia 920... Everything else about the Sonos systems feels and sounds just great!
Still under consideration, we need to get some more people in here!
I switched to WP8 from Android and i am disappointed with the available Apps for Sonos. I will rather sell my Sonos speakers before buying a Sonos controller / Android tablet for remote control
I need a proper Sonos app for my Windows phone too. I have it on all my laptops and iPhone but the 3rd party app just isn't up to the job!
Badge +1
I keep checking back to see if the Windows 8 app is ready, but I still see they are only supporting iPhone and Android. It doesn't make sense for me to have a speaker on my balcony unless I can control it out there from my phone. Come on support people, stop delaying this and get us a Windows 8 application for our phones.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Considering buying my first Sonos product, the Connect Amp, but I'm hesitating due to the lack of support for WinPhone8. Not keen on the idea running a third party app or being dependent on borrowing my wife’s iPad 😞 Starting a PC up for this is out of the question! Only WinPhones authorized on my job, and I really like my Lumia 920... Everything else about the Sonos systems feels and sounds just great!
I bought a connect and a play 5 a couple months ago. I thought I could live with the Phonos app, my wifes android phone and my PC. It is more of a pain in the ass then it is worth. The Phonos app is ok but not stellar. My wife's phone isn't here all the time. I rarely fire up my PC anymore since I have a Surface RT. My Sonos system is getting little use since if I need to use a PC I can use the one connected to my sound system. Seems you can get almost full price on Ebay for Sonos gear so I am thinking of listing them.
Where's the Windows Phone and Surface/RT app cant be right its still not available. Why do Sonos ignore the Microsoft users ?
Userlevel 2
@John M If I understand you right - you are now looking into developing an Windows Phone app right? I just spend 1100€ on a Sonos soundsystem only to find out it does not support me fantastic Nokia Lumia 1020.
Seems like it's 'under concideration' here forever. Windows is not a small platform! It's not only RT devices, but full windows 8 touch enabled devices will also benefit from a 'touch' friendly controller. I have a acer W700 tablet and Samsung Ativ AIO, sure the controller runs in desktop mode. But it's a pain if you want to control sonos with touch... We pay premium price for a premium product, so why not support windows mobile & RT devices?
I get that announcing release dates is dangerous, but I don't see the risk communicating to your customers what your support plans are. Would be good to know the platforms for which you are developing (Win8 Apps, WinRT, Windows Phone 7.x, Windows phone 😎 as Apps do guide some of our purchase decisions.
I just purchased a Windows Phone, replacing my Android... I've got a dream that Sonos will announce the app before the deliverydate..... Come on Sonos! You guys are the boyscouts, let's deliver!
Waiting for WP8 app and Windows 8/RT. Honestly make a Windows app already given the huge market share then port it to WP8. How hard can it be...
Userlevel 2
I have a Sonos player that I am considering selling since there is no Win8 RT or Windows Phone 8 support. If there were WIn8 support I would definitely keep what I have and buy more. Please write apps for Windows 8 RT and Windows Phone 8.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have a Sonos player that I am considering selling since there is no Win8 RT or Windows Phone 8 support. If there were WIn8 support I would definitely keep what I have and buy more. Please write apps for Windows 8 RT and Windows Phone 8.
I have put mine on craigslist for this reason. If I don't get a buyer there, I will put them in ebay in next week or so. I have waited too long for Win 8 support and I am not going to change my phone and tablet just to use my Sonos. I know the Win OS and it allows me a lot more control of my devices and network, than IOS or android would ever conceive of letting me have. Android and apple tablets are glorified media devices. A Win8 RT tablet is a media device and a functional computer.
Userlevel 1
John M....it's been some time since we last received an update...where are we on this? We are nearing a substantial new windows 8.1 release, have had several updates to windows phone and yet we are still without a first party sonos app on either platform.
Userlevel 1
Everyone, another way to request the Windows Phone 8 app is to download "Where's My App" from the app store and submit a request for the app. That at least puts it on Microsoft's radar as well.
Userlevel 2
Hello Hello, Is there any update on this? Has anyone at Sonos actually looked at how crappy the android app on a kindle fire looks? Never mind how bad it works, or more to the point doesn't work........ Yes I'm a victim of the infamous Feb 2013 update. For God's sake release a Windows metro app…..
Badge +18
John M....it's been some time since we last received an update...where are we on this? We are nearing a substantial new windows 8.1 release, have had several updates to windows phone and yet we are still without a first party sonos app on either platform.
Hi Kenneth, There's nothing new to announce at this time. I understand that everyone is keen to know more but I don't have anything I can share at the moment.