Support Windows 8 RT for Surface Tablet and Windows Phone 8 for Mobile Devices

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

941 replies

Finally a good alternative, no more waiting for Sonos. http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-audio-receivers-dars/samsung-shape-m7/4505-6470_7-35828433.html
Userlevel 1
Never thought it would happen, but I fell head over heals in love with the new Lumia 1020. So I've been messing around with some of the integrated music features MS offers and they're not half bad. I'm not leaving SONOS as it's still head & shoulders above the MS offering, but if you force your customers to try other products, there's a chance they'll leave you. I'd rec'd SONOS get an app out fast or watch another streaming company do it.
Finally a good alternative, no more waiting for Sonos. http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-audio-receivers-dars/samsung-shape-m7/4505-6470_7-35828433.html
The Samsung system has an app for iOS and Android only. So please explain how it is a "good alternative" to Sonos not having a Windows 8 app?
Userlevel 2
Just sold my iPad on ebay and will be getting a Surface 2, I hope the Sonos for Windows RT will be available this year.
you can stream directly from your phone using Bluetooth or NFC, also WP8 and windows 8 app will be available before the end of the year. source Samsung.com
ok, just bought 2 (!) Play:5 with a controller for almost 900€. Nice try, but not fully satisfied with the sound of the Internet Radio - tried several stations with high streaming rates - and I would not listen to a classical piece with closed eyes. However, my main focus is background music and for that's it's ok - even if the price seem too high for that. The Software is a bad joke if you use Surface RT and the app for Windows Phone 8 is poor too (e.g. Sonos favorites not available). Following the ignorance of Sonos re that (12 months and still only wishi washi statements) I made a decison today: I decided to not bet my HiFi future on Sonos and send the equipment back as I'm still within the 30 days.. I use Nokia Lumia 925 and Surface RT and happy with it. This seem to be the future.
Baloney. I've been all over Samsung.com and have read every article on this product. There is nothing anywhere that says a Windows 8 app is coming. I call BS.
Jumping the Android ship and will be replacing my devices with MS equivalents. Thats phones and tablets. The only thing missing is Sonos support for these devices and their operating systems. Please make it a priority. Thanks.
Userlevel 1
Meanwhile WP8 reached 9% marketshare in Europe !! Please launch a WP8 Sonos client (beta) soon !!! thanx.....
Hi I use the sonos app on surface pro without a problem but when can we expect news for a windows phone app? I have sonos on all three levels in my house and am getting tired of not having an official app to use the thing to its full potential. Why the delay, Windows is a growing platform seems crazy its not getting the attention it deserves
Userlevel 1
Badge
ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Hi, I still cannot believe that this is taking so long. It's impossible to believe that you don't have sufficient demand from users on Windows 8 RT and Windows Phone 8 to justify what is a simple port of your existing app. At this point it's looking like I'll be ditching my Sonos for something supplied by a company who will value, listen to and support their customers.
Hi, I still cannot believe that this is taking so long. It's impossible to believe that you don't have sufficient demand from users on Windows 8 RT and Windows Phone 8 to justify what is a simple port of your existing app. At this point it's looking like I'll be ditching my Sonos for something supplied by a company who will value, listen to and support their customers.
Yeah, like that other multi-room , fully synchronized audio system that has a Windows 8 controller . . . Oh wait. There isn't one.
I will not buy any more sonos products until they show support for Microsoft products. Would love to buy a couple of the new S1s or S3s but want to control them from my phone.
I am orientating for a new flexible music system. Sonos of course was first on my list. When looking for a wifi network in my home, three SONOS network pop up from my neighbours 🙂 I want one controller, preferable my smartphone. Looking for a SONOS app in my store I couldnt find one there. Googling for the app pointed me to this forum. I can't believe what I am reading here. This topic is so old and no progress is made at all. Windows 8 and Windows Phone are on the market for a long time. In the Netherlands its market share is above 10%. I cant believe such a big company has no support for it. It gives me the impression that this company doesnt take its customers too serious, or it thinks it already has enough customers. In both cases I dont want this product anymore. I really love my Windows Phone, dont want to switch to Android. So looking further. Not supporting Windows, I still cant believe it. Its crazy...
As a news user to Sonos, I was disappointed that there was no Windows Phone 8 app. We do not use Android or Apple in our house, so using our Sonos is much more difficult than it should be.
Seriously. I NEED THIS
Userlevel 1
Yep seriously, this has gone on so long without communication, Windows Phone has only been out for over 3 years now...
Come on sonos, how hard can it be?
Any updates sonosteam?
Bluesound or Sonos ... that depends on who delivers an app first.
I have four Sonos components in my house and still have to use an old iPod touch to control them as both my Lumia 920 and my Surface RT are not getting adequate support. This is really poor and something I did not expect when I decided to go for Sonos as my main entertainment solution. Equally poor is their lack of feedback or update in this discussion. Windows Phone 8 and WinRT are around for quite some time now and I am sure it's not rocket science to create an app for these platforms. Most likely I would have picked another brand/solution if I knew this before and now I am are seriously considering putting my 3 Play5 and my Connect on ebay, too, as I use is less frequently since I have the Lumia.
This is a great heads up. Thankfully I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Difficult to justify a premium product if I'm assured a sub par experience at best. Oh well...I'm sure someone else would be willing to make an effort at earning my business....
Actually I think the more crucial point is two or three years ago Samsung wasn't a threat to Apple.... How soon before Samsung is eating Sonos' lunch? I'm going to guess in relatively short order considering Samsung actually listens to their customers
Have you played with smartglass yet? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess no.
For those of you with the Surface RT, I have 3 words for you. Remote Desktop Connection... Turn that on, and you can control your Sonos from your Surface RT exactly the same way you would do it from your desktop or laptop Windows app. On top of that, you can run ANY app that you have on your PC from your surface. Not a native app, but should tide you over till Sonos decides to announce something.
Yes, Remote Desktop is a great stop gap solution...for you're using something briefly...but its still a compromised experience. Um....I thought Sonos was about a better than average experience? Is it unreasonable to expect a native app? If they're aiming for average, how do you capture a premium? I don't have to pay a premium if I'm happy with average.... whiskey, tango, foxtrot...over.