Sonos controller problem on iOS 9.3.5

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

129 replies

just after the most recent Sonos App update i can no longer use the Sonos App on an older Apple iPad. According to the the App i need to update my OS, but Apple is no longer updating the OS of these older iPads. Is it possible to revert to an older version of the App? if not, why would you make you App incompatible with an older device that i only use to play music on Sonos?
Badge
Same problem here, have a couple of wall mounted iPad 2s, not great, although I don't expect support for such devices to last forever, a heads up would have been appreciated. Instead we get an updated support article with many devices an OS versions culled.
It was just yesterday that I experienced the problem with my iPad operating iOS 9.3.5. I’ve read all the information here and it seems like Sonos should be able to support an older version of their controller. Now I’m supposed to go buy a new iPad which otherwise works perfectly for me? I don’t think that this is a good way to do business.

Apple does not allow you to maintain two versions of an app, you can put up legacy versions, but they must remain as is. The problem with legacy versions is eventually the firmware on the Sonos units is out of sync and the old app stops working (usually after 2-3 firmware releases). On top of that, even if it were possible, changes to codecs, security, authentication, etc. will cause streaming services to eventually stop working. There is just no way for Sonos to support multiple legacy versions of both software and hardware in a customer friendly way because, given the fluid nature of streaming standards, the hardware will ultimately cease to operate.

The true culprit in all of this is Apple. Apple's forced obsolescence policy causes Sonos to abandon an iOS version an average of two years sooner than for Android. So it appears Sonos is willing to stretch out the support when possible, but that is not Apple's way.
Do not bother with the SONOS folks. Download the SonoPad app from the App store. Problem solved.
Badge
Just finished a call with tech supp regarding the iOS issue. Fellow admitted there are a plethora of phone calls concerning the situation. However, casually sluffed it off as "use another device" or "update to a newer iPad" .
Also admitted the auto update feature is on by default. The more relevant and somewhat ignorant situation is not being able to revert back to the previous sonos version!!
Userlevel 2
Badge
just downloaded sonopad (£3.99) and it seems to be working ok . It's a bit of a faff on but I do have my system back .
Get Sonopad from the App store. It works and you don't have to tear you hair out with the SONOS people.
Userlevel 1
Sonopad Sonopad Sonopad - the solution to the IPad 9.3.5 iOS issue. A solution I shouldn't have had to pay $A5.99 to get but it neatly solves the issue. I'm not sure that the SONOS people fully appreciate the hostility that arises when they make perfectly good IPads useless for their (otherwise) excellent product. And then try and justify it with the gobbledegook in this thread. Simply leave a workable version in the Appstore. Disappointed to be treated so shabilly as the family has 3 similar IPads and Minis. Mr Sonopad will be reaping a well deserved bonus. pp
Why can’t Sonos make the older version of their app available . Although my iPad still works, my iPod running 9.3.5 doesn’t. I feel conned by Sonos into having to replace my iPod if I wish to use that as a controller. :@
I was going to buy a Sonos system as a present for my son in his new home but not now 😉
Userlevel 1
[quote=Smilja] If you don't have other mobile devices you won't be able to manage your Sonos system, starting with not being able to enter the room settings.
Better than NOTHING, which is what Sonos has left us with by not making an older controller app version available for those of us with older devices.
I have always used automatic update as all the apps suggest - guess that was stupid. Now I cannot use my sonos from my old IPAD which is where I want to use it. This is really a poor decision by Sonos in my opinion. I don't care if I do not have the newest and best - it was working just fine. I bought all these speakers and had them integrated with my IPAD both with the TV and through Sonos but now I have to either purchase new hardware or go back to the great old days with multiple controllers. Bad decision that should be corrected.
Being someone who deals with software that runs on both Android and iOS, I can assure you that this is a result of the change by Apple, not something that Sonos wants to do. As soon as they can no longer get support from Apple on the code base, they're in a bad position, and must stop supporting that particular version of the operating system. It's Apple who's out to get your money....
Funny, other app developers and other companies have no problem adapting -only sonos has! How hard is it to create an App to connect and play?! This i simuler to say "Microsoft propriatory attitude" - nothing else!
Suggest ppl head over to trustpilot and leave a "review".
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Funny, other app developers and other companies have no problem adapting -only sonos has! How hard is it to create an App to connect and play?!
This is factually untrue: there are plenty of apps that no longer work on obsolete iOS versions; Spotify, for example [1]. Developers like Sonos want to take advantage of features only available in later iOS versions, and Apple does not allow legacy versions of apps to coexist with newer ones in the App Store. So, how do you propose that developers work around this?

[1] https://support.spotify.com/uk/using_spotify/system_settings/spotify-system-requirements
Userlevel 2
The one answer I can give you to one of your questions is that the third party dude doesn't have a legal department (and investors/stockholders) giving them specific legal requirements.
Are you suggesting that Sonos is at risk of legal liability for producing a legacy application or 3rd party dude for that matter? That's a bit of a "stretch". Kudos for creative reasoning. 😃
I totally agree. I downloaded Sonopad for £3.99 which works well, so I'm still using my older iPad. I think a head's up from Sonos would have demonstrated more 'Customer Care' whatever their reasons for discontinuing support for IOS 9.3.5.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
It is a bit weird. Sonos did give decent notice for the death of the CR100 (although some still missed the memo), but for the gutting of the Desktop apps and the dropping of iOS 9 there was zero notice. Not even in the update message itself.
Userlevel 1
It is a bit weird. Sonos did give decent notice for the death of the CR100 (although some still missed the memo), but for the gutting of the Desktop apps and the dropping of iOS 9 there was zero notice. Not even in the update message itself.

Been in the IT consulting business for twentyfive years and have an iPad I use as an AV Control 'appliance' (9.3.5) that stopped working, as well as an old Samsung TAB, another Samsung Tab 3, a LG tablet, and a Lenovo Tablet all that stopped working with Sonos, while other apps and products work just fine with these devices which are in excellent condition. I've always used 'older' devices as appliances strategically placed around the house, why not? Why should I have to buy new hardware every year or two to run Sonos speakers - LOL! Between Sonos not maintaining older software for at least some basic controls, in addition to forcing original purchasers like me to get an ID to update (class-action lawsuit...) I've stopped recommending the product and have had to tell folks to stay away.... (I used to promote the Sonos product over so many other options over the years to clients, neighbors, friends, etc) People are seeing how this company is behaving since it has gone public. Need I say more?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I think we get the message Every_TDH and no need to like your own posts either. Class action lawsuit? Also please name another system that can do all that Sonos does and still supports all its speakers. I think most supported controllers that work are way more than a year old. Blame the tablet manufacturers for not releasing firmware upgrades maybe or ditch android tablets as the support is rubbish, my 5+ yr old Surface works fine as does our 10 old pc and my daughter's well used IPhone 6.

So you've stopped recommend recommending Sonos, that's fine , I've worked in it over 30 years and learnt never too take advice from IT "consultants" ?
Dear Sonos, I have loved the kit that I have in the USA for the last three years (Play 1, two Ones, Playbar, Sub and connect) and bought my 84 year old dad in the UK a One and a Connect in February 2019. He has an older iPhone and iPad and has just today experienced Sonos turning off the app (on ios9.3.5) this afternoon. I am extremely frustrated as he has over six hundred pounds worth of kit in his house which is now dead electronics. No notice for the switch-off. How can this happen?
Dear Sonos, I have loved the kit that I have in the USA for the last three years (Play 1, two Ones, Playbar, Sub and connect) and bought my 84 year old dad in the UK a One and a Connect in February 2019. He has an older iPhone and iPad and has just today experienced Sonos turning off the app (on ios9.3.5) this afternoon. I am extremely frustrated as he has over six hundred pounds worth of kit in his house which is now dead electronics. No notice for the switch-off. How can this happen?Apple has ended support for 32 bit devices and asking all developers to write their Apps for the 64 bit platform only. Sonos has little choice, but to move forward. Your 84 year old Dad will perhaps begin to see the end of support for other Apps on his device. The UK Banking Apps may soon not be supported on iOS 9.3.5, just as another example... Barclays Bank is already one such App. Some companies may make their older App available for a while, but eventually they will likely stop their support too.

It’s nearing time for your Dad to update.

This was announced two years ago in March 2017 ... so some warning from Apple was provided...
https://appleinsider.com/articles/17/03/28/apple-seemingly-ends-support-for-32-bit-devices-with-ios-1032
I have an 3rd Gen iPad from 2012 running IOS 9.3.5. Sonos shrugged and gave up supporting my ZP100 on this device without warning but SonoPad came to the rescue and works fine. I'd certainly think twice about investing any more $ in Sonos hardware when they are so cavalier about supporting their customers' investments in their products.
I'm a late comer to this party - one of those parties that you don't want to be at!

Same pattern as many contributors - we use an old iPad 3 (running iOS 9.3.5 because Apple won't let it have anything more modern) purely to run our Sonos system. But not any more, as this simply stopped working yesterday evening: no warning, just a rather rude error message basically telling me to "get with the beat, Baggy" (Jungle Book). Thanks for nothing.

We're just about to move in to a new house and will be designing our music system from scratch - up until yesterday Sonos was a shoo-in for the lot, but no longer. A company that treats its customers with such distain and arrogance can't be trusted and doesn't deserve several thousand pounds worth of business. Shame, really, as it's very good (when it works).
You're missing the point - it's not about continuing to use a seven year old iPad (although it's a shame to throw out something that has no faults other than simply being old), it's about Sonos's thoughtless and arrogant attitude to its customers (as echoed by many contributors on this string) that is steering me to look for alternative solutions. Until Sonos pulled this stunt I was perfectly happy and wouldn't have dreamt of looking elsewhere, but now I am. Perhaps Sonos feel that they have a near-monopoly and so are behaving in the way monopolies tend to?
Why don't Sonos just leave an old version on Appstore ?.. Philips do that to support their users. !!!

Because the controller is part of a integral system of software and hardware, and the old versions stop working after 2 or 3 updates to the hardware.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

One certain way to avoid the update chaos is to just switch off all sonos devices, sell if possible, and switch to another user-friendly system.

That's a bit over reaction lol . Less dramatic way is to segregate your system similar to the people running the cr100. Details are in this thread https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510/index1.html

Or just embrace the updates, buy new hardware regularly (new phone and iPad (pro) every year or two) .