Sonos controller problem on iOS 9.3.5

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

129 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
There are no legal issues here, just engineering tradeoffs. As SonoPad shows, one can publish apps to the Store that work on old iOS versions. I don't know what hoops have to be gone through to do this mind you: I am a n00b iOS developer myself.

As a general rule, 3rd party apps like SonoPad and my own don't care which Sonos system software you are running: they continue to work on new ones, and we try to keep them working against old systems (even though it is expensive to test this, as we need to keep N systems un-upgraded to do so).

The official Sonos controllers do not have this philosophy: they require players to be running firmware versions that match the controllers. While this makes sense for options such as Setup and Upgrades, for regular playback there is no technical reason for this (see: 3rd party apps). This is their decision, with unfortunate side effects when the decide to stop running on older platforms. They could make the old apps go into "safe mode" if they become too old for the player firmware and become playback-only (like the PC/Mac apps have permanently become), but they chose not to: instead the apps refuse to run.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14

One certain way to avoid the update chaos is to just switch off all sonos devices, sell if possible, and switch to another user-friendly system.

Something which you refuse to do, even after your frequent and repeated complaints. So despite the fact you pimp the long extinct Squeezebox every chance you can, it seems you just can't give up on Sonos.

I never mentioned the other system - you did! Thanks.

My complaints are frequent because Sonos presents these updates without warning. I don't need recently played - so why must I update?
Userlevel 2
Argh. If I don’t add new speakers and other equipment or need truetone and other stuff my system would be perfectly fine with version 9xx of the firmware and controller for iOS 9.3.5 for example.. I have payed for the hardware so I should have the choice to upgrade firmware and controller etc. Or NOT. It doesn’t say on the box that the system will only function for xx software releases. What happens when Sonos add some crazy feature that my play 1 doesn’t support ? Do I have to throw it out !? I really don’t care about the new features. My system performed fine in October So please let me have the option to downgrade to that combination of firmware and controller versions. !!
Badge
I have the same issue. I was using my old iPad iOS 9.3.5 just for Sonos music until this last update. This is a little disappointing, but guess I'll just have to use my iMac or iPhone 😠
Understand you should not upgrade but when you have a family doing it, we have no choice. it is costing me more in devices to use the system than all the equipment. I have 11 zones, 4 CT100's, 4 iPads for starters. i only want to press play. 10 years down the drain. Not happy

My complaints are frequent because Sonos presents these updates without warning. I don't need recently played - so why must I update?

Once again - YOU DON'T HAVE TO UPDATE!!!!!!!

There was guy here who kept his system at 4.0 for years. Nothing forced him to update, and nothing is forcing you.

I would happily not have updated my Sonos software. Where was the choice? I woke up this morning and suddenly my iPad won’t talk to my system. Using older hardware as a controller is a perfect use of older hardware. I don’t want it burning up memory on my phone. My iPad 2 was dedicated to Sonos.
Userlevel 1

There was guy here who kept his system at 4.0 for years. Nothing forced him to update, and nothing is forcing you.

I would happily not have updated my Sonos software. Where was the choice? I woke up this morning and suddenly my iPad won’t talk to my system. Using older hardware as a controller is a perfect use of older hardware. I don’t want it burning up memory on my phone. My iPad 2 was dedicated to Sonos.

Totally agree. Sonos could have sent an email to its customers sayin to turn off updates and older devices weren’t supported.
Same problem here, and I am seriously p***ed off having just bought 2 Sonos Play 1 speakers to be controlled by older iPads. I can appreciate that hardware and software evolve and the oldest stuff cannot be supported for ever. I also appreciate that Sonos can have no control over customers upgrading iOS without considering the consequences. However, surely Sonos should have issued a bulletin to warn what would happen. The fix is simple. Sonos should reinstate the previous version and call it Sonos Legacy. No updates, no support, leave as is. I will then be happy and may continue to invest in Sonos.

I'm afraid you are not going to be happy, because Sonos is not going to reinstate the previous version as Sonos Legacy. Time to invest in another multi-room system that maintains backwards compatibility with outdated versions of mobile operating systems. Good luck finding one.
Badge
How can this happen ? why would you think it acceptable that customers should replace working telephones in order to carry on using an expensive sound system. This is a really poor product management.
Userlevel 1
It has become apparent that Sonos is entirely comfortable to instruct their "Help Desk" to imply need to purchase another Apple Inc device, but pointedly does not recommend Sonopad or Sonophone in their long winded (but not useful) response to this issue. Ironic.
Meanwhile, not everyone will have the foresight to look on this forum.
I rarely complain, but this time I am mad! Just wrote to the Help Desk again, for what it's worth.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Sonos this is ridiculous. I want give any warning. Device auto updated the app. Now I've a useless device on my wall. You shouldn't stop anything working for older devices. Sure perhaps they won't be able to access all features of new app, but stop messing with people's systems.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I would like to offer SONOS another big thumbs down 😠 for offering updates that say nothing about the fact they will be a downgrade to peoples systems (once again).

I join the many people whom have been duped into "upgrading" with some generic upgrade notes of to the effect of ...system upgrades & bug fixes...

It's a real pain in the backside that SONOS keep killing off controllers (even if they are ageing), it can't be that bigger deal to leave these things in the app store in an older version (like many companies do) or offer reduced functionality or an elegant reduction of functionality over time (eg core functionality that doesn't depend on third party services).

In my case its just the old iPad that I have as a controller for the kids / guests etc to put on a bit of music, skip tracks or adjust the volume but not having it will be a real pain in the backside.
I'm forced to now having to source yet another suitable replacement controller (money I would have preferred to spend on SONOS equipment) just to solve a problem that I did not have until my system was "upgraded"

Whilst older iOS devices may no longer be supported by Apple (and may offer reduced functionality as such) they still make a passable single use controller for SONOS systems in selected applications. All controllers (like may third party services and devices) are enablers for the SONOS system, Please stop killing them casually!.

I can appreciate these may not be many peoples primary controller, but they have a use.
As an early adopter of SONOS I have recommended SONOS many times, as for the most part SONOS has improved the functionality of the system but these system downgrades make it increasingly harder to recommend the product.

Surely SONOS can appreciate the difference between offering customers functionality upgrades and system downgrades, and the customers need for choice in the later case to concur what is being gained outweighs what its being taken :?
Yeah, I received no communication regarding any update breaking functionality either. This was either a hand-in-glove arrangement with Apple or, most likely, just a poorly managed execution of discontinued support for legacy hardware. Communication should have been clear, with instructions on how to prevent it.

It still seems ludicrous to me that Sonos could not spend the small resources required to maintain a legacy App that would provide basic functionality and port service updates from their "full fledged" app to the legacy variant as service interfaces evolve. Worst case scenario, they maintain support for the 3-5 most used services and abandon the rest, though this seems like it would not be necessary if they are just porting interface code.

As I told customers service, brand loyalty is only as strong as a brand's loyalty to its customers. I have sang praises for Sonos for years. When asked why Sonos is worth the premium, the simple answer has always been "Because it just works and works well." Sadly, I can no longer say that.

For what it's worth, Sonopad seems to work fine...at least for now.
Userlevel 2
This is crap. I am an authorized SONOS dealer and have installed many, many systems. I personally have 4 iPad 2's for my own system that are now useless. It brings to mind one of my favorite sayings "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT". SONOS; listen to your customers. This is obviously a bonehead move and one that could be handled entirely differently. Customers have to resort to using a 3rd party application - SERIOUSLY?
I join the band of very unhappy Sonos users with an older IPad that runs perfectly well with no need for me to spend hundreds of £'s to replace it.
New features in Sonos are of no interest to me - if I wanted to stream music there are many good quality speakers I could buy to do this..... I just want to play my own music collection as I used to be able to do & the reason I bought Sonos in the first place..... Wake up Sonos you are loosing confidence of your original & loyal customers
Some of the responses in this thread are arrogant & insulting to people who have invested in the Sonos product in good faith & are suddenly unable to use the system!!
Userlevel 1
It is a bit weird. Sonos did give decent notice for the death of the CR100 (although some still missed the memo), but for the gutting of the Desktop apps and the dropping of iOS 9 there was zero notice. Not even in the update message itself.

Been in the IT consulting business for twentyfive years and have an iPad I use as an AV Control 'appliance' (9.3.5) that stopped working, as well as an old Samsung TAB, another Samsung Tab 3, a LG tablet, and a Lenovo Tablet all that stopped working with Sonos, while other apps and products work just fine with these devices which are in excellent condition. I've always used 'older' devices as appliances strategically placed around the house, why not? Why should I have to buy new hardware every year or two to run Sonos speakers - LOL! Between Sonos not maintaining older software for at least some basic controls, in addition to forcing original purchasers like me to get an ID to update (class-action lawsuit...) I've stopped recommending the product and have had to tell folks to stay away.... (I used to promote the Sonos product over so many other options over the years to clients, neighbors, friends, etc) People are seeing how this company is behaving since it has gone public. Need I say more?

SPREAD THE MESSAGE
SonoPad is THE answer for iPad 9.3.5 users to control Sonos devices. How the Sonos crowd, with such great hardware for sound, could let themselves be humiliated by a smart German app maker in this manner is beyond my comprehension. Hochmut kommt vor den Fall, I predict. Axel M.
Userlevel 2
Normally I do not make posts expressing my dissatisfaction with products because it does not do any good or change the end result. This is one of those times when it will not change anything, but I am irritated, and I want to express it. I own 6 ipads, three of them are Ipad 2’s that will no longer work with Sonos. I try to never use the word hate, but I reserve that word for Apple because they are the most arrogant company I have every dealt with in my 58 years of being alive. The only reason I own the Apple ipads is because I love the LaunchPort charges and sleeves I have scattered throughout my house, and the fact that I basically I only use them to control Sonos, Thermostats and RadioRA2. I have a $ 30K distributed audio system comprising of over $ 6K in Sonos connect, connectamps and subwoofers in 10 zones. The fact that I cannot use my original Ipad2’s and I have to buy new units to control my Sonos system is ridicules and unfair to Sonos customers. I am not technologically or financially challenged but I should not have to spend $ 1,800 (3 iPads x $ 400 + $200 LaunchPort sleeves) just to continue to use the $ 6K worth of Sonos equipment I own.

I also agree with the hundreds of other posts in different categories complaining about the constant Sonos App updates. When I first starting using Sonos 4 plus years ago you could do anything in the App on the main page by pushing a few buttons. Now you must push 5 or 6 buttons on multiple pages to accomplish the same task. I own a technology company, so I am not some old guy complaining about having to learn something new, I am complaining because you are not making the user experience better by forcing me to push more buttons. In this case, change does not always equal better, and it should in a company with your history and experience of making innovative products. Although I do not put Sonos in the same category as my dislike for Apple, I do think you are arrogant, and that attitude is not going to serve you well in the long run.

Sonos can certainly figure out how to support older software on IOS products that Apple does not support. You could easily keep multiply older versions on your website for your customers to download outside the Apple App store. Let’s be honest, you do not want to do it. Sonos could also figure out how to let people keep an older version of the software they like better, and not force them into a new skin. I realize that this is a complicated issue and I could not possibly be aware of all the challenges Sonos is faced with, but I think there was a better way to handle it.
I have the same issue. Sonos in their infinite wisdom have decide to no longer offer the sonos controller on IOS 9.3.5.
This is surely not acceptable. Why do Sonos not give users the choice of whether they upgrade or not? This is the response I have received from Sonos.

Thank you for contacting Sonos. My name is Eon, and I'll be helping you with your iOS question.

The reason we don't give an update for devices on iOS 9.3.5, is that Apple does not support those devices. The devices on iOS 9.3.5 hardware architectures and a less powerful 1.0 GHz CPU that Apple has deemed insufficiently powerful enough to even run the basic, barebones features of iOS 10, iOS 11 or iOS 12. Due to this, we had to follow in suit, just like other companies that make apps with Apple, too stop giving updates since Apple stopped supporting devices.

Also, if we're to keep updating iOS devices on 9.3.5, there will be an issue that they will start to struggle to handle what we require from them a few due to the hardware and software architecture age.

Do you happen to have another device that you can use Sonos with?

We will pass along to the development team, to make sure that there is some kind of warning message if, there will be a type of iOS or OS limit or end of support message for customers.

If you have any other issues, please don't hesitate to give us a call or reply back to this email.

I have replied to Sonos and an waiting for their response.
So why don’t you just limit the functionality for old controllers like iPad and iPhones. All we need is basic functionality !! Or do you have a secret agreement with Apple to force user to upgrade the hardware ?? The sensible way to treat you customers is to let them choose if and when they want to upgrade their systems. ??

They have done this, but they can't do it forever. Controllers in the past have had limited functions with some older mobile OS versions. For instance, 10.0:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/software/release/10-0

Operating systems iOS 9 and Android 4.4 are now partially supported by the Sonos App. Devices running iOS 9 or Android 4.4 can still browse, search and play music using this version of the Sonos app. Less common tasks like adding new speakers, modifying music services, or setting up a new Sonos system require Android 5.0 or higher, or iOS 10 or higher.

It seems there was a big cutoff for this particular release, because there are no older OS versions that are partially supported.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14

So why can't I switch off the blasted Update Icon/item ?
Userlevel 2
Badge
My iPads stopped working yesterday with Sonos, bit of a bummer as I have a few around the house for automation all nicely dressed in Launchport charging shells. Went to eBay this morning and picked up some used Mini 2's to fix the issue. To be honest my Mini's were dead slow and sometimes almost useless running iOs 9.
Actually, an earlier poster is right about the work-around. Use iTunes as your controller - it works fine with the Sonos speakers. I also do direct stream of my radio stations and Spotify and Amazon from their apps. It is not as convenient as the one stop app, but it does allow me to use my perfectly functional iPad as a controller for my sound system.
Same problem here SONOS give us the option or create app for an older version of iOS we unable to keep on replacing or controllers you speakers already expensive if you like us to keep on using the Sonos system give us the option to use our old controllers !!!!
We not getting any Sonos supposed to our community it's All about keeping the vendor (apple) and Sonos numbers up ??
Same problem that’s really cheap shot from Sonos.....