Lower minumum volume level

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

143 replies

Yes, even if I would have the ambient mode on. I don't like to have that when I play music however since less music is distributed through the Play5s as compared to the soundbar and the crisp in the Play5s is uncomparable to the soundbar. Its just not as premium of a sound. When thinking of it, isn't it a bit strange that the ambient mode redistribute the sound among the speakers in this way.. 🙂
Hi,

I'd like to bump this tread. Got 2x Play 5, a Playbar and a sub installed this July and it is really annoing not being able to play music on a low "background" level the way I could with my old "analogue" system. In fact it is so annoying that I would hesitate buying all this if I knew at the time (all things comsidered it takes a bunch of money to buy this). Please can Sonos consider checking out if this could be made right?

Many thanks!

Rasmus
Can I just make sure I understand this? You put surrounds on 'Ambient' for music play, you put the volume slider to zero then tap once on the volume bar to edge it up the minimum amount. And that is too loud for background music?
Hi,

I'd like to bump this tread. Got 2x Play 5, a Playbar and a sub installed this July and it is really annoing not being able to play music on a low "background" level the way I could with my old "analogue" system. In fact it is so annoying that I would hesitate buying all this if I knew at the time (all things comsidered it takes a bunch of money to buy this). Please can Sonos consider checking out if this could be made right?

Many thanks!

Rasmus
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You guys saying the "issue is getting worse with time" -presumably you are saying the minimum volume is getting louder?

If this is the case why not use a noise meter (Best use an iPhone or iPad as Sonos already have calibration data for those). Select a track from your library and measure the SPL background and with your track playing - Note the location of your phone and orientation relative to the speaker and the time of the track.

Do this every few weeks to see if you can actually measure the issue getting worse.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Don't know how or why, but it seems that the issue is getting worse with time... :@
I know, yesterday I've opened a case at sonos, let's see! Maybe we all should, so it gains visibility within sonos!

Yep, they replied back that they will forward it to their R&D team as feature request!

As we all knoe how this works, such feature request require a big number of customer requests!

I encourage you all to open a ticket at sonos support, its straight forward! Just emailaddress and description. https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/ask

Together we might be able to get this changed!!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Don't know how or why, but it seems that the issue is getting worse with time... :@
I know, yesterday I've opened a case at sonos, let's see! Maybe we all should, so it gains visibility within sonos!
Userlevel 3
Don't know how or why, but it seems that the issue is getting worse with time... 😠
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
yeah same here, low volume steps just too loud. Use several Sonos setups in different places to get to sleep(play1, 3 ,5 etc all too loud). Control by Macbook,iphone/ipad app, first step from 0 is just "boom, on". Switched loudness off, bass and treble to minimum, doesn't help.:(
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yes. I did that.any response from them?
Yes. I did that.
Userlevel 1
Badge
It doesn't look like they're actively participating in this forum. Has anyone tried to raise a ticket with support and refer to this thread?

Rgds
HELLO SONOS: Can you please fix this issue!? What's up with ignoring so many people/customers with the same issues?? This has been an issue and a tread for more than 2 years now. It's simple, So get on with it - pls. Also- how very kind it would be to respond thoroughly to the remarks in here. People spend a lot of time and energy addressing these issues, the least you can do is to acknowledge your customers and answer. Thank you.
Me too. Bought a Play:1 for my bedroom to use sleep function. Unfortunately, lowest volume is to loud indeed. Please fix
Userlevel 1
Same for me here. Lowest volume is still too high (at night working at my desk). I suggest that rather than having a linear scale/progression, the volume follows some exponential curve where it progresses very slowly at lower volume and much more at higher volume. In my understanding this would conform the ears perception (dB) of volume.
http://www.rfcafe.com/references/popular-electronics/images3/understanding-decibels-nov-1958-ppoular-electronics-2.jpg
I bought Play 1 for my bedroom. I also find minimum volume (1%) level bit too high. Music can also be heard at hallway through closed door.

That's a bit weird that someone said that alarm at 27% is fine. If I'd to use that, it would also wake my neighbours up. I guess at 5% it would wake up anyone that has normal hearing. So there are probably some differences between units (or sevices, I'm using Spotify).
I am new to Sonos with two Play 1 units. I also find the minimum too high. For starters, try reducing the current minimum level 3 - 6 db. "Bothering support", on this issue I feel is called constructive criticism, a way for concerned companies to improve products. I really like the products but why not make improvements. Please don't rest on the past successes. Remember the customers who do not complain typically do not return.
I found this thread and I have the same problem that the minimum volume is too high.

@Sonos, Is there a hardware limitation through an analog volume control IC or is mixing done completely done in software before D/A conversion happens. If later, it shouldn't be too difficult to fix that in software?

Cheers
Roland
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
It's too loud but it doesn't stop you sleeping? How can it be too loud if you fall asleep listining to it.

Is tweeting an effective and useful channel of communication with anything? Wouldn't an email been rather better?

I assume you will get your alternative products on a trial, learning from your past mistakes, to see if they meet your volume criteria. Please post back what you decide upon, especially for the saving of groups.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I agree the lower minimum is extremely difficult to control and is way to loud some usage. I don't think this requires huge engineering! Quite easy to implement
Some customers are impossible to please and are better left to leave and go bother another products support staff.

Until I see that Sonos becomes more interactive with its customers when it comes to issues and feature requests, I will nnot invest anymore of my money in this platform, and for that matter, if I enjoy the other two products I ordered, I am definitely on my way out.

I agree that Sonos could be more responsive/interactive than what they are - but good luck in finding any other make that is as responsive, let alone more so.
Userlevel 1
I am a new user of 4 Sonos play 1 speakers. I am having the same issue. The volume is slightly too loud for me at night at its lowest setting. Keep in mind that loudness of volume is a bit subjective -- so this is probably fine for others but for those of us who have posted, it is a true problem. I wake up with a headache listening to my play 1 at its lowest volume.

I am seeing such important feature request on this forum go for many years without solutions or acknowledgment. Some companies have a policy that if a feature can garner a certain amount of votes by the users, it goes in the Queue for implementation. Salesforce is one such company. The problem here, is that Sonos remains completely quiet while these feature request go from year to year, and it thus leaves dissatisfied users with no alternative but to conclude that Sonos does not listen to its customers. That is, unfortunately my impression.

The other day I tweated with Sonos about another important feature request that has been out there for more than five years (the ability to save group settings) and their position is that they don't comment on possible features for the product. The reaction I had was to immediately go ahead and ordered a Samsung and Google Chromcast to compare for possible replacement. I am a new user and I should not have been given reason to want to search for an alternative at this early stage. I was planning to purchase another 6 play ones to complete my setup, and now my wife doesn't want to incur that expense after noticing that the feature requests are being ignored. She hates the fact that she cannot save group settings, for example, and for me, I need the lowest volume to be lower.

Until I see that Sonos becomes more interactive with its customers when it comes to issues and feature requests, I will nnot invest anymore of my money in this platform, and for that matter, if I enjoy the other two products I ordered, I am definitely on my way out.
Look, I specifically mentioned it was too loud for the listening scenario in our case, what more do you want from me? Honestly, I can't see why you would even care, if the situation is not a problem for you. The product obviously works well in the majority of cases for the majority of users. No one is denying this. Perhaps my following comments seemed broad brush but my intention was always that the issue was situation specific.

Unfortunately, no product is perfect for everyone, and one thing I can objectively say is that our previously mentioned Logitech unit has substantially more granularity at the low end than the Play 1. This is particularly noticeable between the Play's 0 and 1 volume setting. For us, and apparently others given the basis for this thread, this makes the product unsuitable for this purpose for us. Who knows, maybe our units are just different, although I feel like the QA on these would be tight particularly given the ability to do stereo setups, so I find this unlikely.

This is not an attack on the product, or Sonos, or you. It is simply our experience. If it's viable for this functionality to be tweaked in the product, then I'd love for this to be on Sonos's radar. If we don't make these comments, how will they ever know that this is an issue for some of their users? If they are unable to do anything about it, or choose not to, that's fine. The only reason I'm even here, or found this post in the first place, is because I did my 6 monthly search hoping someone had found a workaround for this exact issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I've had my Play 1 in my bedroom for 2 or 3 years and the Radio (BBC 5 Live) plays me to sleep every single night. Radio comes on with an alarm at level 27 and I am more than happy with the volume level.

I did buy this Play 1 as a direct replacement for an alarm clock radio so my experience makes your statement factually incorrect (proud pact unusable for those of us who bought it for this purpose).
There seems to be a lot of negativity around this issue but I'm going to add my 2c just to confirm that there are others out there struggling with this.

We've had our Play 1 for about two years now, it was set to replace our older Logitech Smart Radio for quiet 'off to sleep' listening. We were attracted by the Google Play Music support. Unfortunately the Sonos unit has sat unused for the vast majority of this period and we are still to this day using the Logitech instead.

The minimum volume level is quite simply too loud for this listening scenario in our case, and as others have mentioned already, the scale is dramatically tilted towards the loud end, where granularity is far less important. On decreasing the volume, it really feels like there should be another step or 5 before complete silence hits.

If this is not a problem for your particular scenario, then great. But it undeniably makes the product unusable for those of us who bought it with this specific purpose in mind. I otherwise love the unit, so my disappointment is doubly so as it's truly a great product otherwise.

I've been hoping for an update that might help with this for ages now. I know it's a somewhat niche request so my hopes were never that high. Sadly I suspect we will have to look for an alternative solution.