Dead spots on CR200

• 14 November 2009
  • 312 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

312 replies

Userlevel 2
Sonos' service is very good, let's not abuse it.

I said "almost tempted to send back". Resisting the temptation isn't an abuse of anyone or anything.

Besides, I would fully expect to incur costs for wasting Sonos' time if I were to return an item that is still functioning entirely correctly.

The temptation to return the unit stems from the suspicion that the unit will yet fail, but once it's outside the guarantee period. Sod's Law and all that. If it's going to fail, I would rather that it happened today, not tomorrow.
Userlevel 2
I'm almost tempted to send back the other CR200, too. It has a serial number indicating that it, too, is from the suspect manufacturing run, so it's probably only a matter of time before that unit also fails.
Sonos' service is very good, let's not abuse it.
Userlevel 2
One of my CR200s is the latest victim to fall prey to the dreaded paralysing touch-screen virus.

I sent the unit back to Sonos today after receiving a new controller at the end of last week.

The new unit has a slightly updated Sonos logo and the silver finish is more metallic in appearance than on the old unit.

I was surprised to find that I could return the old controller under warranty. I purchased my 2 CR200s as soon as they hit the market, so I expected the guarantee to have expired a while ago.

I'm almost tempted to send back the other CR200, too. It has a serial number indicating that it, too, is from the suspect manufacturing run, so it's probably only a matter of time before that unit also fails.
It's also frustrating that nobody from Sonos ever answers questions about this problem. It clearly is a problem still and can't possibly be down to the originally "dodgy batch".
Badge
It would appear that despite best efforts this problem is not down to an isolated manufacturing batch.
Userlevel 2
Reading these posts are most interesting as I've just been to the Hi Fi shop where I bought my Sonos system to return the CR200 remote yet again.
This is now the second time Ive had to do that.
Bought the system in Jan this year the CR200 developed dead spots in July after very light usage replaced in a couple of weeks via the store no arguments. The new unit again used no more than a few dozen times (located in the bedroom) developed the same fault about 3 weeks ago one row dead now that's spread and all but the top and bottom lines are dead.
I have eight zones controlled via Two CR100s two Ipads and an android phone and with this two CR200.
The CR100s were bought cheap from e bay and work just fine mainly in the hot and steamy bathroom by contrast the CR200 has been subjected to next to no use and just sits in the cradle in the bedroom.
The store gives really good service and quick turnaround but after paying £280 for a dedicated branded controller I expect it to work for years not just 6 months or so.
I was toying with the idea of buying another CR200 for the living room as the design feel and look of the thing is great and is easy for visitors to use but after this no way I would rather buy an additional I pad.
The Sonos system itself is great and is one of the most used of all the gadget purchases I have ever made getting almost constant use.
But it is being let down badly by this piece of badly manufactured crap.
Userlevel 2
Having bought a CR200 two weeks ago, I am concerned that the problem is not identified or fixed yet. Did SONOS give an official statement that the issue has been identified and corrective action has been taken?

Thanks

hdtvpower
:rolleyes:
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
The Sonos system in itself is great. I have four zones and will be adding another two shortly. I show it off to all my friends and regularly sing it's praises but this controller just let's it down and unfortunately let's down Sonos more so.
+1

We have 14 zones, 6 CR100s and 2 CR200s. When we got the CR200s my wife was all for replacing a couple of the CR100s as she liked the touch screen. But we held off when the faulty screen issue came to light.

Neither of our bedside CR200s get anything like the use our (wall mounted) CR100s get, but both have failed within the extended warranty period, while the good old CR100s soldier on!

My CR200 failed first (it gets more use) and was quickly replaced by Sonos and the replacement is still fine. My wife's CR200 failed about a month ago and has been returned to Sonos, its replacement is due here anytime.

I hope our replacements last, but I have a niggling worry that they will fail outside of the warranty period as they do not get that much use. Time will tell.
Davy mate I totally understand where you're coming from. I've been lucky so far in that my CR200 which was supposed to be in the "faulty batch" is still OK, but I've been put off buying another CR200 as it's dented my trust in them reading about problems still happening.
Userlevel 2
Well I've just received my 6th unit. Let's not pat Sonos on the back too much for their customer service; if they hadn't extended the warranty on the CR200, they may well have been faced with a lot of court cases under the 'Sale of Goods Act'.

This remote is, in my opinion, utter rubbish. I treat all of my equipment with the greatest of care and the last two remotes have hardly been used, since I bought an iPad twelve months ago. Maybe that is the problem, not enough use.

My 6th unit is still in its box, untouched and there it will remain. A total waste of £200.

The fact that Sonos are still sending these units out is also a disgrace. I've had faulty units replaced with faulty units one after the other and when the two year warranty is up, we'll be saying aren't Sonos wonderful for extending the warranty. No, it's rubbish. That's the least they could do and they are still off loading these remotes on to us.

The Sonos system in itself is great. I have four zones and will be adding another two shortly. I show it off to all my friends and regularly sing it's praises but this controller just let's it down and unfortunately let's down Sonos more so.

They, Sonos, need to stop trying to kid us with all this talk of a faulty batch etc etc. Just be trueful with your loyal customers. A bit of honesty goes a long way.
I must say, it seems quite odd that there are so many repeat victims while so many of us have yet to experience this failure at all.

I hope there's not some type of behavior that can induce the failure, since none of us appears to know what that could be, and I'd like to keep the three CR200's I have working. My wife will go to another room to retrieve a 200 rather than pick up a 100 sitting five feet away.
I'm on my 7th replacement CR200 as of last week
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
My second unit just failed (1st was replaced less than 6 months ago).

I'm in the same position. My replacement unit has stopped responding to touches on the bottom of the creen where "music" and "Done" are.
Userlevel 1
Badge +8
Just received my 3rd unit yesterday too. I hope this one will last longer!
Again, excellent support from Sonos as usual, but really hoping the dead spot issue is definitively solved.

It arrived right on time because before putting the new unit in service I upgraded my system to 3.6 using the old remote and at the end of the process I was asked to click "done" ("Terminé" in French) at the bottom of the screen and this was not possible because the button was in the dead zone. Hard buttons are not operational at this stage so the controller is now stuck in this position and I will return it to Sonos in this shape!

Cheers,
Crilo
I have just recently received my 3rd unit.
The other 2 units were having dead spots as well (starting perfectly, getting worse after some months ....)

Anyway, the support and shipping time was excellent - thank you 🙂
Hmm, might be too easy: because everybody will get it eventually, sooner or later?

Yes you might be right. It might be that some people are using it a lot more than others and so they break quicker for them.
...why certain people are getting this problem multiple times?

Hmm, might be too easy: because everybody will get it eventually, sooner or later?
Maybe some people just didn't notice yet, because they don't use certain functions of the controller?
It is strange that the same people are getting the problem over again. I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong honest 🙂 but it might be worth Sonos looking into why certain people are getting this problem multiple times?
Userlevel 1
Badge +8
My CR200 that was replaced in january just started to misfunction again! (lowest part of the screen unresponsive).
Sent mail to support let's see if the warranty still applies.
It is very disappointing that replacement units have the same issues as originale ones.
I think that if Sonos did not develop the Apple and Android controllers they would be in a very bad situation with a totally unreliable controller!

Let's see the support feedback.

Anyway, for Christmas I will get a Samsung Galaxy S wifi as secondary controller...

🙂
Userlevel 2
My second unit just failed (1st was replaced less than 6 months ago).

Given that there is clearly a manufacturing failure with this device, it seems unfathomable, that they are a) still selling it and b) have not yet developed a replacement which does not suffer these issues.

Jules
Userlevel 2
Exactly the same problem here after about nine months of very moderate use except I'm not impressed with the (non) response from Sonos. Problem reported to them on 5th October, have yet to receive any response at all. I guess it will have to be a phone call and a hope that they sort a replacement rather more quickly.
Userlevel 2
If sonos keeps up their good service like they did till now, they will give you a new unit by then (a cr300 ???) ;-)

I personally prefer my ipad & iphone for controlling, but my kids most of the times take the cr200, and because of the large amount of money i paid for it, i hope it won't break down again after my rma will be in place.

Fingers crossed, but still, i hope sonos can give repair details for those who are willing to do the repair themselves if this ever happens again within lets say 5 years, and warranty is out of reach ...
..like all the others.

Sigh..
that's why I'm afraid there won't be enough replacement units left when Sonos decides to stop the production.
Userlevel 2
After about 1 year of very moderate usage, my cr200 shows the same problem like all the others, the complete bottom row doesn't react to touches !
I just started the RMA procedure, but I was wondering if sonos can't tell us what exactly goes wrong. I'm afraid that these problems will keep ocurring even after the extended warranty period. Maybe it's something you can repair yourself easily, being an electronic diy'er ?

Luckilly i still have an ipad, iphone, ipod touch and an android htc lying around to operate the sonos. 😉
Same here.

Replacement CR200 arrived yesterday, very good support and fast, too.

But the main damage is done:
My confidence is shaken badly.
After all those reports I downright expect the replacement unit to be faulty.
(First controller was only 6 months old and always handled with care)

And will Sonos be able to honor the extended warranty promise?