Dead spots on CR200

• 14 November 2009
  • 312 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

312 replies

Welcome to the forum.

Does Sonos plan to phase out the controllers?

The Control/CR200 has recently been discontinued. It is slated to be dropped from the lineup at the end of the month.
While I am pleased that I am not the only one with the same CR200 controller problem, it is truly disappointing that Sonos did not have better quality control on the manufacture of the controllers, given the price. My 1st controller was replaced by the local agent when the bottom screen menu was no longer active. I was told that there was a poor batch of controllers. Now my replacement controller has the same problem. While I will arrange for a replacement I think it would be cheaper just to buy a mobile phone just to use as the controller. Does Sonos plan to phase out the controllers?
Userlevel 2
Update
this morning i recieved an update from SONOS, the standard RMA reply saying that the product is under warranty - at no point in the e-mail did it apologise or reply to my request of a refund. I replied as it stated to in the e-mail asking thme to answer my questions and then i got an error e-mail back saying it had not been processed correctly.

I looged onto the sonos website and replied via the support area.

Lets see what happens next - my guess is nothing,

I will keep you all posted.

Regards

Matthew
Userlevel 2
Just an update on my dead CR200

I posted to sonos helpline informing them i had done the pre checks, power off, different areas of the screen as this is my third controller yet they still replied asking me to carry these procedures out.

That was on Tuesday, they responded with the auto response and then i replied on Wednesdsay requesting a refund as i have lost confidence in the kit. Even after having chased it up on Friday and requesting a response to that post i as yet have not received anything from SONOS.

My confidence is dropping by the second!

Come on SONOS!

Matt
Anyone else still experiencing problems with the controller?
I've merged your post with this much frequented thread.
Userlevel 2
I am now on my third CR200 and this one has now developed dead spots on the screen. I have contacted the support department and have requested a refund. After three controllers i have lost my faith in the product - i am still awaiting a response so lets see what happens. They also offered no compensation for the previous disruptions which this problem caused me!! Come on SONOS sort yourselves out.

Anyone else still experiencing problems with the controller?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Update to my issue with 4 faulty CR200 controllers. I did log with Sonos support and was going to update back to them when I returned from Singapore but noticed they had closed the issue as resolved which it most definately was not. Below is my response back to Sonos support - no response yet !!

Hi XXX
I noticed that you closed this fault log prior to recieving my e-mail 29/4/2012 (posted below). Please reopen and respond

To update you I have just returned from my Sonos agent in Singapore who replaced all 4 faulty controllers with new sealed box units. I have always dealt with the dealer in Singapore as sadly the Sonos global support model doesn't reach Indonesia when it comes to physical support. My dealer in Singapore really have had enough of dealing in these faulty controllers, however the only service they can provide is to replace with new which they have done in my case but they now refuse to stock the CR200 at all.

This brings me to my next question, I have 4 new controllers as of yesterday with full warranty but now Sonos have issued a statement to say they are discontinuing, so what happens if they break down again bearing in mind I have invested 4 x 650 SGD in purchasing originally. What is the plan from Sonos ?

I would like to ask why Sonos has stayed virtually silent on the CR200 failure, I know the spin is there was a faulty batch but all the controllers I have replaced over time (and there were many) all came from different batches and so the spin doesn't really wash with any of the Sonos owners who have some knowledge of this type of software/hardware quality control lapse.

I can understand that you may not want to respond to these awkward questions so please feel free to elevate my e-mail as you see fit. I will be updating the Sonos forum quite soon as there are many people waiting to see what happened when I went to Singapore and also what feedback I get from Sonos as a company re the faulty CR200 situation. I can tell you that Sonos has disappointed many long term followers and purchasers of your product by the lack of response and ownership of this issue
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
Just to close the story on my experience above. My replacement controller duly arrived a couple of days ago.

It is of recent manufacture: the date of moulding of the back cover (marked inside) is 01/12. Like others have commented, the shipping note says "Sonos Control Refurbished", but I am almost 100% certain it is brand new, as there are no signs of any wear on the power connectors and it is pristine inside and out. No doubt the "refurbished" statement allows Sonos to keep their options open, but I suspect that in most cases it is cheaper for them to supply a new unit than to refurbish a returned item. Until stocks run out, that is...
Userlevel 2
Hi, I have been having the same problem. On playing radio, the stop button doesn't operate. But the line below does - so back, Music, view queue and i all are fine.
I just rang Sonos in Europe (Germany) and the helpful man took my details, said they would send an email about replacing it. Also confirmed that it's a bit of a known problem, nothing I could do about it, the only answer is a replacement, which they will organise.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
I wonder if we may be starting to see a shortage of replacement controllers, following the announcement of their discontinuation?

I have just reported my 2nd CR200 for a dead spot ... when I followed the web link to process the RMA, the webpage said "No matching stock replacements are available at this time". A trifle worrying!

I have emailed Support requesting an explanation, and will post again when I hear from them.

Update on my previous post:

I received an email back from Support asking me to re-try the link, and saying that they had "had an issue which would give the error" I saw, and which they had now fixed. They gave no clues as to what the error was - it could have be as unremarkable as an IT glitch or stock record error, or it could have been a real lack of replacement stock. I doubt I'll find out.

Anyway, the RMA link worked this time and my replacement controller should now be on its way.
Userlevel 2
I have always been so chuffed with my Sonos system. Nothing but minor issues. But now the CR200 has packed up! The Music Menu, View queue buttons are unresponsive. I tried removing the battery, turning off, etc Then made the mistake of doing a factory reset. Now it won't go past the "next" option. So I have a non-working CR200. It is nearly 2 years old so hopefully Sonos will be understanding and not hammer me on cost.

I have just received a FOC refurbished control. I must say I am very impressed with Sonos. I know there will always be the worry that the Control will fail again, but the company have resolved the issue for me with minimum pain.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
I wonder if we may be starting to see a shortage of replacement comtrollers, following the announcement of their discontinuation?

I have just reported my 2nd CR200 for a dead spot, that controller being a replacement for my first one that failed for the same reason. I received a standard RMA email from SONOS Support by return (with no other comment from them) But when I followed the web link to process the RMA, the webpage said "No matching stock replacements are available at this time". A trifle worrying!

I have emailed Support requesting an explanation, and will post again when I hear from them.
Userlevel 2
My replacement CR200 has just experienced a dead area. My local shop sent the previous one away and Sonos were happy to replace it for a 'new' one. Very frustrating that it has happened again especially as I hardly use it. Considering the quality of the other Sonos products it's surprising they haven't sorted this issue out yet (when I said hardly use it I mainly use the Sonos software on my iPad or PC - might just ask for a refund on the CR200)
Userlevel 2
I have always been so chuffed with my Sonos system. Nothing but minor issues. But now the CR200 has packed up! The Music Menu, View queue buttons are unresponsive. I tried removing the battery, turning off, etc Then made the mistake of doing a factory reset. Now it won't go past the "next" option. So I have a non-working CR200. It is nearly 2 years old so hopefully Sonos will be understanding and not hammer me on cost.
Hm, spotted an issue with my CR200 a few days ago. Sounds oddly similar to other posters: dead "forward" and most of the "play" button area.

I mailed support, not had a response yet. I thought it was hardware, but not so sure now.

If I go to a system menu, the whole of the bottom "item" can't be selected. Only the very left edge of the touch panel seems to work. However, in "playing" screen, the "back" button is fine. Keyboard is OK up to the first few pixels of the "c" key. Anything right of that is dead.

Which leads me to think it's a software issue. The dead area is exactly the size of a list item in a menu, and the width of the dead zone changes depending which screen you're on. That can't be hardware unless it's to do with the screen drivers (?)

Would love to see the source code and a diff between last update and latest...

Maybe an invisible UI element on top of the menu which is handling touch for you.

Weird.
Userlevel 2
Hmm, nobody contacted me after my post about Sonos wanting $100 to repair my dead-spot CR200. Maybe they don't read the forum all the time and/or there are different regional policies. If anybody else has a current dead-spot CR200 and is being told there will be a repair charge I'd be interested in hearing.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Foxtrot1972, maybe they do read this forum from time to time, if so it's time they started listening to their customers, which hopefully they did in your instance
Userlevel 2
A very quick update on SONOS wanting to charge for a replacement. I have had an email from a member of SONOS staff in the Netherlands in response to my post. They have confirmed that this is a mistake and asked for the all the details in order to sort it out. The CR200 is covered by an extended warrnaty if the fault is diagnosed as "dead screen" syndrome.

The email address I have on the Forum is not that attached to my registration so some detective work has been undertaken to contact me. Needless to say I am pleased about this and that they have spotted something was wrong and made an effort to rectify it. Let's hope the replacement when it comes lasts a bit longer this time.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Personally I wouldn't pay them a penny, it is a defective product and they know it is defective. The batch thing just doesn't wash any more and from other postings I have read they are even trying to send out repaired CR200's as replacements and even they break so there is a major problem with the product and it should have been recalled. Not sure about the legal implications but they most certainly have a moral obligation to their customers. People by their products in good faith the product has been tested and is defect free and they should reciprocate in the same way when the product is defective by replacing free of charge or money back
Userlevel 2
As ive said in another thread, i will use sale of goods act if i was in your posistion, i certainlly wouldnt pay £95 to sonos, when they have caused the situation by not acting positivley over the cr200 dead spot issue.
Userlevel 2
A question for any UK users. I got my forst CR200 in December 2009 and in August 2010 had to get a replacement due to dead spots. The replacement has now gone the same way - had been dying for a bit before I got around to reporting it.

Sonos want to charge me £95 for a replacement (incl shipping and VAT). Quite frankly I don't think this is on for something that is clearly a product that has had such a troubled history - and is being withdrawn. Has anyone else been asked to pay towards a replacement - and did you pay it?

Thanks.
Userlevel 2
My replacement CR200 has just died now as well with the same touch screen problem. I have notified support, let's see what they say. 😞
Userlevel 2
Badge
BarryM if Andrew Schulert is a co-founder of the Company there is even more need for him to placate his user community, his conflict of interest goes against all good company governance and explains why he has kept so quiet.
It's a real shame that Andrew Schulert has not taken the opportunity of addressing this via the forum and really does not send a very good signal to the user community regarding product quality within Sonos as a company.

He may be conflicted. Although he is VP of Quality now, I think he was VP of Development when the CR200 developed.

In my Company heads would have rolled by now and a statement of apology issued with 100% commitment to resolve first time or recall all of the product if they cannot keep that commitment – shame on you Sonos.

If you are calling for Andrew Schulert's head that's not going to happen any time soon. Sonos is privately owned, and Andrew Schulert was a co-founder.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Well I have finally had to admit defeat, I will be contacting my Supplier today to try to finally get shot of all my CR200 controllers and no I will not be replacing with iTouch, I will use my CR100’s until they die. As reported I had two CR200 which had already crashed and burnt and the introduction of 3.7 has finally killed my other two. As reported by other people on this forum when trying to upgrade the next button on the bottom section is unusable so no upgrade can take place and no way to cancel the upgrade.

I actually work in the development of software products and this entire CR200 farce absolutely smells of bad product testing and even worse quality control, the story about the bad batch is also a smokescreen.It's a real shame that Andrew Schulert has not taken the opportunity of addressing this via the forum and really does not send a very good signal to the user community regarding product quality within Sonos as a company. The hidden agenda here I think is just to keep quiet and people who bought CR200 controllers will eventually get fed up and go away, then they can remove from the market, they know that people will not spend the money legally challenging their very clearly inferior product.

I contacted Sonos support early last week but as expected got no response to this sensitive subject, seems like it has all gone in the too hard basket. To all the people who think Sonos are a great company because they replace their faulty products very efficiently, that is called keeping the peace. In my Company heads would have rolled by now and a statement of apology issued with 100% commitment to resolve first time or recall all of the product if they cannot keep that commitment – shame on you Sonos.