Dead spots on CR200

• 14 November 2009
  • 312 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

312 replies

Userlevel 2
My first CR200 developed this problem after about 3 months: it had two "dead" spots in the upper-right corner and middle of the screen. Reset and factory-reset did not fix the problem.

Sonos support was very cooperative when responding to my problem and shipping me a new controller.

Now, roughly 3 months later, the new controller is showing the same problem: a "dead" spot in the worst possible location, the bottom-middle where the "play/pause" button is located.

I suppose it's back to Sonos support to get a third controller. Based on my experience and others, it does seem that there is an inherent design or manufacturing flaw with the touchscreen. I am wondering if I can "downgrade" to a CR100...
Userlevel 2
I was thinking this too. Although from what more experienced members say on this site, Sonos do a lot of testing of their products before they are released, so hopefully, as you also mentioned, these were from a bad batch.

Lets hope its just a bad batch. I notice tho that the deadspot CR200s is spread all around the globe.
Userlevel 2

I am slightly concerned however that this may indicate a general build problem with CR200 controllers?

I was thinking this too. Although from what more experienced members say on this site, Sonos do a lot of testing of their products before they are released, so hopefully, as you also mentioned, these were from a bad batch.
Userlevel 2
Thats odd. My CR200 (as of yesterday) now have a 'dead zone' down at the bottom of the screen. I can't use 'Music menu', 'View queue' or the i. The arrow far left at the bottom works tho. I haven't used the CR200 for a few days and all of the sudden its suffering from this deadzone problem. I've tried resetting the controller to factory defaults and removing the battery for a few hours but its still acting funny. This controller is ~1 month old. Do I need to get a replacement unit?

Edit: The CR200 in question was roughly 5 months old I see looking at my products in my profile. I've been in touch with support and have received a RMA number. Good thing I have a second CR200 😛
That's funny - this has happened to me too. I treated the controller really well - no scratches, bumps, drops etc..

Fortunately as everyone else has said, the support is good and a new unit has already been shipped out to me.

I am slightly concerned however that this may indicate a general build problem with CR200 controllers?

Or maybe all of us have had controllers from a bad batch?

It's a good job this happened after 3 months, and not 13!
Userlevel 2
Also this thread that I started,

http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=15965

I had treated my CR200 really carefully, but it developed the fault after only a couple of months. Resets do not solve the problem, or at least in my case they didn't. Sonos replaced the unit no problem and they will send you out a new one before they get yours back. You just have to phone them and give them your credit card details - if you don't return the faulty unit then they will bill you. Quite understandable considering the cost of the remotes.
see this thread: http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=15184
Userlevel 2
I think I'm suffering a similar problem; I can't use the 'L' button. What to do?
Userlevel 2
I am not sure if this is related, but two screens on two controllers have become unresponsive in particular zones.

I don't think this is software.... more like a hardware problem here.
Badge +9
just out of curiousity...though you can't grab the slider... can you still tap above or below it a few times to make it move?