Dead spots on CR200

• 14 November 2009
  • 312 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

312 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
I recently discovered my CR200 had a dead spot too. I contacted SONOS and I am in the middle of getting a replacement via an RMA.

I discovered my dead spot when I tried to use the CR200 to set up a logon for the new music service, wolfgangsvault. The area on the CR200 where the on screen keyboard appears was dead for a number of the letters I have in my user ID and password. Using the PC controller allows me to access that music service. I feel fortunate that I found the problem with the CR200 when I did. Up to that point I had had no problems using the CR200 for other functions.
Userlevel 2
Similar to other users here- the 2nd line on my touch keyboard "ASDFGHJKL" (and that band, I can't select anything) suddenly appear to have been mineswept, just this morning... Rebooted and Factory reset - no luck.

I brought mine in UK in Feb 2010 and now I live in Copenhagen. Which SONOS support do I contact UK or DK to request a RMA?

Thanks in advance, AT
Userlevel 2
My first controller developed this fault a couple of months after purchasing it. Sonos replaced it last March. Now this one has gone the same way. I contacted Sonos last Saturday and the replacement arrived today; just need to send the defective unit back now.

However I did ask them 'if the defective issue with the controllers had been resolved yet'. Their response was "We don't have any information regarding Controller's issues" - em!

Good service anyhow, even if I have probably been given a company line answer.
Userlevel 2

I purchased two cr200's last august(UK).

Is it just me, or are nearly all the posters in this thread in the UK?

/g
Userlevel 2
Hi
I purchased two cr200's last august(UK).

The one upstairs started playing up approx 6 weeks ago with the same issues as previously posted.

I sent Sonos an email yesterday and they replied today asking for my contact details for a new one to be sent to!

I was astonished that they didn't ask when or where I purchased it, if it had been damaged etc etc.

Then I stumbled onto this thread today that explains everything.

Just waiting for a reply now.

Regards FB

ps my other cr200 is absolutely fine at the moment, as it is clearly a hardware fault is it unreasonable for Sonos to offer a replacement for items out of warranty?
Userlevel 2
Well the replacement turned up today (I sent the old unit back two days ago - that's a quick turnaround!).

Naturally being Sonos equipment setup took about a minute, and I'm all up and running again.

An exemplary service experience; thank you Sonos. Here's hoping that the return of these units doesn't dent your bottom line too badly.

Cheers,

/g
Userlevel 2
Same thing happened to me on Thursday evening (in UK). 20 odd days left on warranty. Second fifth of the screen unresponsive. Contacted Sonos (Live Chat, thank you Frank !). Email from Sonos EU first thing Friday, provided credit card details for advance replace, new CR200 delivered 09:30 Monday morning.

Exemplary RMA service.
Userlevel 2
Sorry for any confusion about which components to return with regards to a CR200 RMA.

You need to only return the CR200 controller itself. Please do not return the cradle or power cord/adaptor.

Doh! Too late! (me reading your reply, I'm not suggesting your reply was tardy) Here's hoping I get the cradle and gubbins back with the replacement!

/g
Userlevel 2
I'm having the same problem. It started a few days ago but there are dead spots around the screen. Very annoying and it seems there are quite a lot of people with the same problem.

Should I contact Sonos UK directly to get a replacement or should I go the shop where I bought it?

Thanks for your help.

Phone Sonos on 0808 234 6596

In my experience they're always busy but they will sample your phone number and phone you back - the process from there is pretty straightforward.

The courier picked up my CR200 to return it to base today, so looking forward to getting a replacement.

Cheers,

/g

p.s. not trying to stick the boot into Sonos, but surely all these replacements must be costing a pretty penny!
You should contact Sonos directly.
Userlevel 2
I'm having the same problem. It started a few days ago but there are dead spots around the screen. Very annoying and it seems there are quite a lot of people with the same problem.

Should I contact Sonos UK directly to get a replacement or should I go the shop where I bought it?

Thanks for your help.
Userlevel 3
Sorry for any confusion about which components to return with regards to a CR200 RMA.

You need to only return the CR200 controller itself. Please do not return the cradle or power cord/adaptor.
Badge +1
A question about the RMA process - particularly aimed at UK users.

Some of the documents I received said "DO NOT RETURN MAINS CALBLES", but the final document said I should return the "CR200 with cradle", so what exactly do they want? The CR200, the Cradle, but, with the transformer? And the cable that plugs into that? The whole shebang? I'm guessing that the first message was really referring to the ZP line, but don't want to end up returning the cradle and not getting replacement.

Thanks in advance.

/g

Not sure if I did the right thing or not, but I simply took the new unit out of the box and replaced it with the old unit. I didn't remove the new cradle or cable from the box as I was happy the issue wasn't with my "old" cradle or cable (especially as they were new in January.
Some of the documents I received said "DO NOT RETURN MAINS CALBLES", but the final document said I should return the "CR200 with cradle", so what exactly do they want? The CR200, the Cradle, but, with the transformer? And the cable that plugs into that? The whole shebang? I'm guessing that the first message was really referring to the ZP line, but don't want to end up returning the cradle and not getting replacement.

I spoke to Sonos EU when my CR200 dies, and was told to keep mains cables and cradle. I did however get a new cradle (and mains lead) with the replacement CR200. This was about eight months ago, so things may have changed. Personally, I wouldn't risk returning the cradle, but maybe someone from Sonos (who read these boards) will illuminate...

T
Userlevel 2
A question about the RMA process - particularly aimed at UK users.

Thanks in advance.

/g
Badge +1
Add me as well, bought three CR200's in January had to return one last month, dead spot at the bottom of the screen.

RMA process worked fine with no complaints, simply put the old one in the new one box and returned it.

Replacement is a little iffy though, requires more pressure to activate at the bottom of the screen than the top, so may well indicate a similar problem as the old. We shall see!
Userlevel 2
Bought mine in Jan and needed a replacement CR200 about 6 weeks ago. Mine also suffered the lack of responsiveness across the bottom.

I contacted Sonos and had a replacement next day - superb service.

It is annoying when you pay good money and things go wrong, however I'm much less disappointed when the vendor responds in such a positive way and resolves my problem so quickly.

If only all suppliers were as customer focussed.
Userlevel 2
And another one here - purchased almost exactly a year ago in the UK. The area above the "Music Menu" and "View Queue" (and W in an alphabetical list) is completely dead, so you can't select the bottom album in a list, and you can't hit "repace queue" (making using it very difficult!).

So, a day later: top marks to SimplySonos for pointing me in the right direction for getting a replacement unit, and to Sonos EU/UK for having a very polished returns process. the old 'un is going back next tuesday - looking forward to a functioning replacement.

Cheers,

/g
Userlevel 2
And another one here - purchased almost exactly a year ago in the UK. The area above the "Music Menu" and "View Queue" (and W in an alphabetical list) is completely dead, so you can't select the bottom album in a list, and you can't hit "repace queue" (making using it very difficult!).

Oh well.

/g
Userlevel 2
Another one to the list. My CR200 died a couple of weeks back. Same issue with dead spots at the bottom of the screen.

Simply Sonos gave me a number to call, new unit received the next day and I sent the old one back a few days later by courier all paid for (need the RMA for that).

So....extremely happy with the service not so happy that this seems to be a common defect. Is it software? Doubt it, given the policy to replace the units so readily. I think Sonos need to announce something here.

I was told that my new unit has it's own 12 month warranty. Obviously, hoping this problem won't occur again...and certainly not after 12 months!
Userlevel 2
Add me to the list - me too. I bought my CR200 in August 2009, only noticed couple weeks ago that I could no longer type the letter "L". Now the bottom left is acting up as well.
Sent a mail to Sonos France, got a reply within minutes agreeing I had a defective unit and it will be exchanged. Hopefully I can get a new unit sent before sending the bad one back. Although I do have a CR100 and iPhone as backup...
My biggest concern is that the new one will eventually also have the same issues...
Userlevel 2
yep, very quick. have got a response regarding replacement from support already 🙂 thanks for the reply rephlex
Badge
My CR200 has just developed this problem :(

The unresponsive area is a band across the screen. It prevents me from selecting the 2nd track on an album. But on all screens the same area of the screen in ineffective.

Pretty dissapointed to see its a common fault too.

Can anyone who's had theirs fixed reassure me that it doesn't reoccur ?

I'm presuming I have to go through support to get this sorted, as I've been browsing the forum and can't find any fixes ?

Cheers

So far, so good with the new one.

Yes, go through support, the response I had was super-efficient.
Userlevel 2
My CR200 has just developed this problem :(

The unresponsive area is a band across the screen. It prevents me from selecting the 2nd track on an album. But on all screens the same area of the screen in ineffective.

Pretty dissapointed to see its a common fault too.

Can anyone who's had theirs fixed reassure me that it doesn't reoccur ?

I'm presuming I have to go through support to get this sorted, as I've been browsing the forum and can't find any fixes ?

Cheers
brianf67,

These are user forums. Other than suggesting that the user contact SONOS support directly, SONOS does not comment on service related issues.