Dead spots on CR200

• 14 November 2009
  • 312 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

312 replies

Badge
Mine (less than 2 months old) has just started losing sensitivity towards the bottom.

At the same time, it has developed another problem: When in the charging cradle, with motion sensor set to be off when in the cradle, unit turns on 8 seconds after turning off. I've had to disable the sensor completely. I've contacted Sonos, and I'm waiting for their answer.
Userlevel 2
Whilst my replacement hasn't got a screen issue (yet?), I now can't seem to use the motion sensor feature at all. If I activate it, the unit never sleeps and the battery drains within an hour or two.
Anyone else had the issue?
Not really willing to RMA the replacement considering took more than a month to get the replacement...
Userlevel 2
Well I now have a dead spot right on the play/pause button of my replacement CR200. I didn't receive an email about the extended warranty, but at this stage, I don't care, I want my money back.

For the price I paid for a remote control, I don't expect to have to send it back for repair/replacement twice within 9 months.
I've had the email and am impressed that Sonos are going to extend the warranty to 2 years 🙂

I've had my system for 8 months or so now and have mostly used the CR100 so am now going to use the CR200 all the time to see if I have one of the faulty units or not.
Userlevel 2
I'm sorry Mike C, either you have a "small number" of potentially affected units, that were manufactured during a specific time period, that you can recall and exchange for good units or that number is not small and you don't know how many units may or may not be affected.

Fair play, Sonos have extended the warranty and for that they should be applauded, but in my own case, I have already had two faulty units and now having received the email, may well have a third and all within an eight month period. Somewhat annoying as when I started the process of requesting my third unit and asking the question, has the dead spot issue been rectified' to be told only three weeks ago, "We don't have any information regarding Controller's issues".
Thanks for the reply, sorry if I overlooked some of the plainly available info, I know how annoying that is :)

Fingers crossed mine either dies sooner or not at all!
Userlevel 3
I received an e-mail, was this sent to all CR200 owners or just ones with controllers with certain serial numbers?

[COLOR="Blue"]-> As mentioned in the top level announcement, the email was sent to specific registered CR200 owners.

http://forums.sonos.com/announcement.php?f=12

If you have a registered CR200 that falls within the identified manufacturing period then you should have received an email notification of the extended warranty[/color]

If it was just for potentially affected controllers, why do you not do a replacement program?

[COLOR="Blue"]->If your CR200 is functioning normally then no action is required on your part. If you have a failure please contact our Support team to verify the failure for replacement.[/color]

I for one am concerned that my controller might develop a problem just after the (albeit extended) warranty expires! Can I ask for a non-affected replacement unit rather than wait for a failure?

[COLOR="Blue"]-> If you have a registered CR200 that falls within the manufacturing period specified then you are currently covered under the extended warranty. We will continue to monitor the issue going forward and address it if it persists. Although the data that we currently have indicates the extended warranty will protect your investment.[/color]
Can we have clarification from Sonos on this?

I received an e-mail, was this sent to all CR200 owners or just ones with controllers with certain serial numbers?

If it was just for potentially affected controllers, why do you not do a replacement program?

I for one am concerned that my controller might develop a problem just after the (albeit extended) warranty expires! Can I ask for a non-affected replacement unit rather than wait for a failure?
Userlevel 2
Important information for Sonos customers

Dear Valued Sonos Customer,

We have recently discovered a potential issue with a small number of Sonos Controller 200s (CR200) manufactured within a specific period. As a registered owner of one of these controllers, we wanted to let you know right away and inform you of our decision to extend your warranty.

Okay Guys, work this one out then. My first CR200 purchased in January of this year, developed this fault after a few months. Presumably I had one of the aforementioned "small number".

Sonos replaced it. The second CR200, developed the fault, again several months later. Presumably I had been sent a second one of the "small number"

Sonos replaced it. I have today, received the email from Sonos, detailing the extended warranty. So it looks like I may have in my possession, a THIRD one of the "small number".

Rest assured, good service or not from Sonos, if this one develops the fault, I will be less than pleased.
Userlevel 2
Wow now I am confused, my controller had this screen fault and was replaced last week. I have just received the e-mail about the extended guarantee. It seems from what I am reading that only people with controllers in a certain batch got this e-mail. So does this refer to my old CR200 or does it refer to the new one they have just sent me?

By the way, I did return the controller and the power supply, I got a new controller and power supply back, but the e-mail was confusing about that.
Userlevel 2
Hi

I purchased 2 controllers in Aug '09.

The one I use 99% of the time developed the problem after approx 8-10 months.

Sonos swapped it no fuss.

I now have moved my other one downstairs as I use it the most - hopefully if this is also faulty it will present itself sooner rather than later.

The serial no. 000000000

I don't know if this info will be removed by the moderator but I hope it helps?

Cheers

Edit: In the interest of privacy, I removed the serial number. Unfortunately, I cannot remove the serial number from any search engine caches that may have already scraped the forums. --buzz

FB
Userlevel 2
I'm a bit concerned by this.

I purchased mine in August last year but have only just started using it. :o

Does it degrade with use or over time?

If Sonos know that a particular batch are faulty they should recall the batch not just increase the warranty by 1 year. Knowing my luck it will fail just outside warranty.
You would think that it would be in their self interest to publish the serial number range, or at least provide a web page where one could enter a serial number and get a verdict.

Who feels ready now to go out and buy a new CR200 with the knowledge that there is a blighted batch floating out there somewhere? A CR200 here costs the equivalent of $US540. I would be expecting a device that lasted beyond two years for that, so a one year extension to the warranty is a poor deal IMO.

I have had one fail already, and if screen fails in an important area it is an immediate brick.

Is there any assurance that the dud units have been completely cleared out of the wholesale and retails chains? In all countries?

Without a list, or facility such as above, how can we be sure?
Userlevel 2
If you have a registered CR200 but did not receive an email notification then your CR200 does not fall within the identified manufacturing period."

I haven't had the e-mail, so either my anti-spam defences ate it or I'm in the clear; hopefully the latter.
It would be helpful to know serial numbers in order to assess the likelihood of eventual failure of a unit.

They have updated their notification with the following:

"We have already sent an email communication to our customer’s that have a registered CR200 that are within this manufacturing period.

If you have a registered CR200 but did not receive an email notification then your CR200 does not fall within the identified manufacturing period."
.[indent] Although I am now confused. I did get an email, as quoted by Funnybuckles above. Is this the email that indicates I have a CR200 within the dud range, or was there a more specific email, which I didn't receive, identifying a particular CR200 with the
extended warranty?

[/indent]OK, scrub that last paragraph. 😮 I read the letter more carefully. I have the email, so I do have one of the affected units.
Userlevel 2
We have recently discovered a potential issue with a small number of Sonos Controller 200s (CR200) manufactured within a specific period.

It would be helpful to know serial numbers in order to assess the likelihood of eventual failure of a unit.
Userlevel 2
I've just returned my CR200 and got a replacement very quickly. All very painless and testament again to the quality of the customer support Sonos provides.
Userlevel 2
Important information for Sonos customers

Dear Valued Sonos Customer,

We have recently discovered a potential issue with a small number of Sonos Controller 200s (CR200) manufactured within a specific period. As a registered owner of one of these controllers, we wanted to let you know right away and inform you of our decision to extend your warranty.

Specifically, a single area or areas of the touch screen may be unresponsive to normal touch usage. The reported failure rate, while low, does not meet Sonos quality standards. Therefore, Sonos is extending the product warranty for your Sonos Controller 200 for an additional year at no cost, in the event it fails in this manner.

If your CR200 is functioning normally then no action is required on your part.

If you are experiencing a defective touch screen, simply contact our Customer Service team and they will process your return.

www.sonos.com/support/contact

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Sincerely,

The Sonos Quality Team

==========================

[Mod] Go here for an updated version of this Sonos announcement
Sonos should fix up their RMA form letter as it is still confusing.

From earlier in this thread:

Sorry for any confusion about which components to return with regards to a CR200 RMA.

You need to only return the CR200 controller itself. Please do not return the cradle or power cord/adaptor.

But the RMA form letter still seems to indicate that the cradle is to be sent into Sonos.

I have rec'd the email again as below:

Dear Customer

Your returns request for the following item has been authorised.

RMA(Returns Materials Authorisation) Number: XXXXXX
Item Code: SNSCR200UK1
Item Description: Sonos Controller CR200 with Cradle
Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXXX

Please return your faulty item (ONLY ITEM MENTIONED ABOVE) to the address below for replacement:
Userlevel 2
Thanks Sid
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hello,

I have edited your post to remove the order and serial number information. Please follow the instructions provided in the email to contact the company that will pick up the product.

To arrange collection, please contact our courier Citylink on 01442242444 quoting the following details:

Account Number: XXXXXX
Company Name: Computers Unlimited
RMA Number: XXXXXX
Userlevel 2
Thanks David

I have rec'd the email again as below:

Dear Customer

Your returns request for the following item has been authorised.

RMA(Returns Materials Authorisation) Number: XXXXXX
Item Code: SNSCR200UK1
Item Description: Sonos Controller CR200 with Cradle
Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXXX

Please return your faulty item (ONLY ITEM MENTIONED ABOVE) to the address below for replacement:

Computers Unlimited
The Distribution Centre
Unit 6A Handley Page Way
Old Parkbury Lane
Colney Street
St Albans
AL2 2DQ
United Kingdom

The above item(s) will be collected at our cost.

To arrange collection, please contact our courier Citylink on 01442242444 quoting the following details:

Account Number: XXXXXX
Company Name: Computers Unlimited
RMA Number: XXXXXX

Terms of this return:

All items are securely packed.
Where items are small or likely to sustain damage in transit, they should be placed in appropriate protective outer packaging.
The RMA(identified in the subject line) reference must be prominently displayed on the outside of all packaging, but should not damage or mark the original packaging.
Any items not displaying an RMA number will be returned to sender.

This doesn't look like a returns label to me??!

Am I going mad?
Userlevel 2
Hi funnybuckles,

I sent a note to our RMA department to respond to your RMA. They should respond with you shortly.

Thanks for your patience!
Dave C
Sonos Support
Userlevel 2
Hello

Received my replacement CR200 today

I see I need an Electronic returns label?

Do sonos email that out seperately?

I don't appear to have a prepaid label in any of my correspondance.

Anyone shed any light on this?

Regards

FB
Userlevel 2
Me too - had mine replaced about a month ago. Support line didn't ask many questions, got the sense it was a recognised problem. RMA very quick and efficient. New one fine so far. Looks like there have been quite a few though!

fleckers