Answered

Anyone else experiencing severe APP LAG & slow loading/refresh with S2?

Show first post

163 replies

The system gets the streams straight from the internet. For your phone to connect the system your network is needed. Which is where the interference could come in…….

Yes but why is it only the Sonos app, or connecting to the Sonos system has this issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Maybe get it to do a slow load and submit a diagnostic? If you post the number here or call Sonos with it they may be able to tell more.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hmmm, my 2 Canadian Cents (so not much value) … on my Desktop or Laptop (Windows) loads fairly quickly and is snappy when I want to make changes. When I use my Lenovo Tablet (M10 Plus) a year old, Oh Sweet Moses, … it sometimes won’t add zones. Searching Google, I deleted all active Widgets on my tablet Home Screen and Icons I really don’t need that bad but were nice to have and S2 was better. The 2 Year old Samsung Tablet I have confirmed I was on the right track as it was faster than my newer Lenovo Tablet. Bottom line for me is that while SONOS wants us to move to newer devices that support future processing the current Tablets don’t have the horsepower to do this. 

Ken. Thanks for your response. I checked and all my wifi components are on 5G so would the blacklisting help?  My guess is that is to keep it off the 2.4 band. I do think it’s all about interference because I still use the matrix that Sonos says isn’t used any longer. The matrix does show a lot of noise / interference. Also, the poor performance with high resolution sources is troubling along with the inability to really do airplay consistently without a lot of errors. Any further advise would be awesome because I am figuring the blacklisting would only insure 5ghz which all are already on 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi - thank you for your observation.  My issue was - eventually diagnosed by Sonos - is that somehow two of my four homes had infected each other so both was seeing not only its own speakers but those in the other home too and clearly they were many miles away on a different network.   Everything was left unresolved when searching.,,,

Had factory reset everything to solve.

S1/S2 Agnostic since issue affected both equally 

Ken. Thanks for your response. I checked and all my wifi components are on 5G so would the blacklisting help?  My guess is that is to keep it off the 2.4 band. I do think it’s all about interference because I still use the matrix that Sonos says isn’t used any longer. The matrix does show a lot of noise / interference. Also, the poor performance with high resolution sources is troubling along with the inability to really do airplay consistently without a lot of errors. Any further advise would be awesome because I am figuring the blacklisting would only insure 5ghz which all are already on 

I don’t see any information in the Sonos matrix as I’m using the Plume WiFi - do you have a Sonos device wired to the LAN then and are you using SonosNet at the moment? 

I’m not sure if this has always been the case or not - don’t think so- but if I perform a search for say Beatles - typing initially “be” will quickly return search results across all streaming platforms with which I have an account- will include, in all platforms , the Beatles alongside other “be artists such as Beach boys and the Beastie Boys - I can therefore in my streaming platform of choice select the Beatles and it’s immediately populated by all albums etc.

very bizarrely, if to the initial “be” search criterion I now add “a” ie “Bea”, the results diminish with less showing across fewer platforms and if o continue to the “Beatles” it now takes seemingly forever to load - this did not used to be the case. 

So this is what I see if I search for ‘Beatles’ using the S2 App on an iPhone XR (see attached)…

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi …thanks - I don’t get that - yours works logistically and the options become less and quicker as you hone down with more letters. Mine stutters and restarts the search. 
 How do I do the Gif screen shot ? 

Hi …thanks - I don’t get that - yours works logistically and the options become less and quicker as you hone down with more letters. Mine stutters and restarts the search. 
 How do I do the Gif screen shot ? 

I really don’t doubt what you’re seeing, but anyhow, I simply record a screen-capture video and then use an App called ImgPlay to convert it to an animated.gif (other Apps are available) - The only issue is the upload limit here in the community is 5mb - so the quality is affected greatly with such a small file size limit, but usually when compressed to 10fps enough detail can be shown to demonstrate the issue in the finished uploaded file.

However, moving on, it would be more interesting to see if you get the same issue with an Android mobile controller and also, you could perhaps consider shifting the local system (whichever one you’re nearby now) over to perhaps a mobile wireless connection instead, particularly if you have a decent 4G/5G LTE connection available to the Home environment and see if eliminating the BT connection improves the matter. It’s also still worth trying a different DNS in the router configuration pages, thats if BT routers allow that?

Yes. I have two Sonos connects. Maybe that’s it. They are Ethernet connected. The matrix shows a decibel figure and some color coding. Fri. Those two things plus the way they are positioned you can see what is connected to what and how good the connection is. 

That’s a bizarre assumption that the CS rep made. I don’t even know how the Sonos controller could “see” across different networks. That particular case has been an issue for lots of people who run different networks in their own home. To be able to see across distances where the networks aren’t even in the same place seems….well, ludicrous. 

But I’m glad that a factory reset solved the issue….but I really have to think it was something other than what they told you. Just doesn’t add up, to me. 

… oh and ‘yes’, the blacklisting suggestion was just to perhaps put all (or some) Sonos products onto the Orbi 5Ghz WiFi band as that band is less penetrating/quicker (more localised) and you could then also use the DFS WiFi channels etc. and hopefully avoid your neighbouring WiFi signals, but it really depends on what devices you perhaps have in your setup. 

Your Sonos matrix is not going to be that helpful if running all on your WiFi signal. It’s geared for use with SonosNet …and the more modern Sonos devices are not using its full features these days anyway. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi thanks once again.

I wasn’t suggesting that you doubted what I see; the purpose of uploading similar video was to demonstrate to the community/ Sonos what the issue is.  There are a number having similar issues on various threads but probably small relative to all users.  Don’t think the solution has ever been bottomed.

My son came over yesterday and the issue is the same with his recent Android. 
I’ve no means of moving the router to 4/5G unfortunately (there are back up devices available on some ISP packages but I don’t have one here).

Yes. I have two Sonos connects. Maybe that’s it. They are Ethernet connected. The matrix shows a decibel figure and some color coding. Fri. Those two things plus the way they are positioned you can see what is connected to what and how good the connection is. 

Ah our posts crossed - I have a few questions and a suggestion.

Have you tried running your setup with no Sonos devices at all cabled to the LAN? If not, then I would certainly give that a try, as Sonos has greatly improved in this area. What also would help is, if you can cable the Orbi satellites back to your Orbi Primary Hub. I accept that’s not always practical, but worth doing if you can.

Next ensure any ISP provided router is bridged (or better still put in modem mode, if that mode is supported) and that its WiFi adapters are disabled. 

I would then reboot all and let the system settle for a day or so and see if things improve.

Hi thanks once again.

I wasn’t suggesting that you doubted what I see; the purpose of uploading similar video was to demonstrate to the community/ Sonos what the issue is.  There are a number having similar issues on various threads but probably small relative to all users.  Don’t think the solution has ever been bottomed.

My son came over yesterday and the issue is the same with his recent Android. 
I’ve no means of moving the router to 4/5G unfortunately (there are back up devices available on some ISP packages but I don’t have one here).

Could you not switch a couple of the speakers temporarily over to a mobile hotspot - just simply add the Hotspot WiFi network to the ‘existing’ Sonos Household via ‘Manage Networks/Update Networks’ and then switch off the local router - note however you need a separate controller and hotspot device (eg: iPhone Hotspot and iPad controller). Just something you could try (perhaps?) to see if the issue was related to the BT network.

Mind you, I would have expected more people to be openly complaining about this matter if that were the case. I’m surprised people have not chimed-in here from the UK, as there must be quite a few who use Sonos on the BT network - but I guess it could just be one of your accounts with the MSP’s you have installed as controlav suggested earlier.

You could also maybe try removing each/all the music services and re-adding them back, one at a time, to see if you can perhaps pin-point the issue down to one specific MSP.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Anywhere I can get instructions on how to fix or reserve IP’s? I have  one main AT&T router which has fiver optic 250+ speed and then two Ubiquti routers elsewhere in the house. They have different names with all the SONOS speakers and amps using the Ubitqutis.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi Ken - thanks for your many suggestions.  I’ll try hotspot as last resort since everything set as wired through boost to router.  I’m going to another home with Sonos /BT in two days so I’ll see if have same issue there - that will rule out issues with individual networks etc 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Whilst it may seem incredulous rather than ludicrous, it is factually correct!  When I submitted diagnostics for both errant homes, he was reeling off speakers by name which were part of the other and vice versa.  I have moved speakers around my various locations and possibly added one without a factory reset - that may mean it brought with it the baggage of other speakers from the other location.  I don’t know how but I do know what the Sonos guy saw because he was able to read out the speakers by name, not all of which were in that location.  If safe sex is always practised, there’s no risk of STI transmission.  If i took a risk (not intentionally) of not taking protection by factory resetting, then I see it as perfectly possible for the cross contamination to have happened.  But I don’t know what happened for sure, I’m only speculating why.  But the effect of whatever happened was very real and correctly diagnosed by the Sonos guy.  

Anywhere I can get instructions on how to fix or reserve IP’s? I have  one main AT&T router which has fiver optic 250+ speed and then two Ubiquti routers elsewhere in the house. They have different names with all the SONOS speakers and amps using the Ubitqutis.

If using Ubiquiti WiFi then this link might perhaps be useful to you too…

https://github.com/IngmarStein/unifi-sonos-doc

I also have this note for Unifi access points…

1. Uncheck “Enable multicast enhancement (IGMPv3)”. 
  2. Do not check “Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data”

…and I’ve seen other users here in the community mention the following;

• In the Settings tab, click Wireless Networks.
  • Click Edit next to the network SSID.
  • Expand Advanced Options.
  • Uncheck Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data.
  • In the Settings tab, click Sites.
  • Disable Auto-Optimize Network.

I hope this helps.

That’s absolutely fascinating. And counter to the way I understood the software to work. Thanks for the followup.

Badge

I would like to add my concerns. It seems to have gone worse recently- Nov 2022. It seems to struggle to produce my recent playing history. In S1, i deleted this function, but cannot with S2.

As I am not suffering short-term memory loss so this is a completely useless function, in any event. I would much rather be reminded that Ii have not played Album X in the last 2-years, or similar. Sonos is collecting data for no useful reason.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I know it’s odd, and contrary to my understanding too, and had the Sonos guys baffled until they took a deep dive look at the diagnostics.  But simplistically, back in the day when all that seemed to be needed was to press two buttons on a speaker to add another speaker, I can see how doing that, to a speaker that already had the speakers in another network in its memory, might somehow bridge two networks (like a continuous daisy chain)  Now, every time I add new “new” speakers, I never know what to expect and it always seems different to the last time (if it in fact can find any speakers to add, as was my other experience on this thread).  For interest only, it was always my fear in another location where I have two holiday rentals adjacent to each other, and they used to share one internet with two Bridges (later Boosts) creating two Sonosnets, that one day a guest would somehow contaminate the separate networks, when a large group was renting both.  They never did, and I now have separate internet accounts, but a couple of occasions I’ve stayed in a different apartment to my previous stay, forgotten to reset my phone controller, and blasted music in the other apartment below!  Early days of introducing Airplay speakers when sharing the same internet across two apartments also potentially had challenges, since the guests could see all airplay enabled speakers on the common internet network!

I would like to add my concerns. It seems to have gone worse recently- Nov 2022. It seems to struggle to produce my recent playing history. In S1, i deleted this function, but cannot with S2.

As I am not suffering short-term memory loss so this is a completely useless function, in any event. I would much rather be reminded that Ii have not played Album X in the last 2-years, or similar. Sonos is collecting data for no useful reason.

Are you not able to switch this off in the Sonos App ‘Settings/Data & Privacy’ by switching off ‘Use Personalization Services’ and hiding the recently played list in the ‘My Sonos’ tab?

My guess would be that the router never released the IP addresses to Sonos speakers that had since been removed from the WiFi network, or something of that nature.  Thus the router was displaying ‘ghosts’ of your speakers, and your actual, speakers, app, and diagnostic didn’t know any better. 

Did Sonos CS have you ever do a reboot of your router?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

They asked me to do so which I did in one home - that led to the second nightmare in that my particular router BTSuperhub2 couldn’t see any speakers when rebuilding the network.  Hours on the phone with Sonos, switching this setting or that setting on or off. All to no avail, with everything always crashing.  Solved by digging out the router’s predecessor which could find the speakers to enable rebuilding of Sonosnet from scratch with factory reset speakers.

HOWEVER, in the other errant home, I’ve had issues with the router not being able to connect to the internet when there’s been a power outage etc.  So I was reluctant to, and resisted the instruction.  Instead, I factory reset and rebuilt upwards from the Boost upwards without resetting the router.  Easy and now works perfectly (only slight issue was the controller seeing the two new Beam Gen2s, but having to do something additional (can’t recall what now) to complete their set-up.

I’ll shortly be adding ERA speakers to all locations - hope without Sonosnet that this will not be another problem waiting to happen.

(I’m pretty au fait with most things Sonos, having been a relatively early adopter (2010) and having bought thirty or so speakers, most of which are still in use). I usually know how to solve issues of drop-puts/ set-up etc but this “ghosting” baffled me!