Answered

Anyone else experiencing severe APP LAG & slow loading/refresh with S2?

Show first post

163 replies

Thanks for the reply but, as others have said, it doesn’t seem likely to be an interference issue. I’ve done the interference checks others had noted and the same speakers worked perfectly well on S1 without an lag issues. 

Same problem - takes what feels ages to load just the app. Got significantly worse over the past month or two. FIX THIS PLEASE. Incredibly annoying

My Android app loads in a couple of seconds, as does my wife’s iPad app.  There is nothing to fix.  Please see the comments already made on this thread by @Airgetlam .

This thread is over 2 months old now with a handful of posts.  Past experience suggests that when a genuine bug crops up affecting even a small proportion of users, there are dozens of posts within an hour or two.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

In fairness to BT, they do have a large market share so not u surprisingly will be the subject of a fair number of issues.  Not sure alternative providers are any better or worse. 

I won’t say this isn’t an issue, the app is slower these days when booting up and reconnecting to all devices.

That being said, all your complaints point to a network issue on your side. Likely some sort of wifi interference , but without more specifics, that is just a guess. The next time you boot up your system, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Thank you once more.  I’ll try with an Android controller over the holiday period when we have visitors.  Unfortunately we are an Apple eco system household(s).   Given I have no issues when using my MAC controller (Sierra) seems to point to an iOS issue (used in various forms by other controllers).

I hear what people say about BT (and other ISP) routers being a potential issue but I’ve discounted these for the time being since the router models are common in every household and functioned perfectly until a month or so ago.

(The other strange aspect is that the search results return those for Apple Music and Hype Machine almost instantaneously but not for my principle subscription service of Spotify. 

Ken’s earlier post about checking ‘Private WiFi Address’ is probably a good one.

As stated, I’ve not had this experience, and I’m also 90% Apple, with two iPads, an iPhone, and two Macs in use. For S2. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Further piece of information - each household uses voice enabled speakers on Sonosnet Boost setup.  The same routers are also connected to Philips Hue via Hue Bridges wired to the routers.  Voice commands for music and lighting work perfectly with no real delay.   The lag appears to be confined to when  using iOS devices.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

..,and the issue seems the same whether using S1 (one household with one legacy Play 5) or S2 (three other households).

..  worked hard on this and other Sonos issues. Excellent network in my house, the best, actually. All other streaming platforms are working perfectly well.

The tone of your response is pretty bad .. “it’s your loss”.  I’m your loss. 

I’ll treat the Sonos hardware as a wireless speaker system and dump your app. 

Good Bye. 

This looks like an old thread but the problem still exists for me.  Ive got 15 zones containing 22 devices.  On an Orbit mesh network in a city environment.  When I look at available Wifi networks there are between 19-23 available.  I know I have interference.  That is what I figure is causing my App Launch to App Usable massive delay.  As others have pointed out, opening the app and waiting 20-40 seconds for it to become responsive is VERY long especially if the music came on loud or in a wrong zone…  Airplay is rough as well.  Trying to play a high resolution (TV or QoBuz) source via airplay ALWAYS causes dropouts.  Trying to play same high resolution sources to ALL ZONES also causes constant dropouts.  My Orbi network is back haul connected via Ethernet and is probably one generation old (RBR50 Router) so still very capable.  I have called in to Sonos support countless times and if I get someone (usually during business hours) that isn't worthless, we kind of arrive at the fact that I have a LOT of interference on all channels.  This is something I have not been able to figure out how to get around.  My ultimate conclusion is all the delay in the app becoming functional after being initially opened is attributable to either 1, all the local interference OR 2, the fact that I’m on a MESH network.  Not sure if SONOS likes Mesh or if there is some configuration I could manage that would improve the network’s performance.  Right now though, using the Sonos app is horrible experience and I try to manage everything through Alexa - which is much more responsive than the native SONIOS app.  .  

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have experienced the same app loading lag and have had a few SONOS speakers simply disappear from my system. I unplug, reboot every few days which temporarity fixes it. This ALL started when I began using S2. S1 worked flawlessly for years. My feeling is S2 coincided with SONOS dumping the abillity to play Apple Music and the roll out of their own competing streaming music service. It’s like the app is now so larded down that it just takes a while to load and has glitches. 

This is exactly the situation where setting reserved IP addresses would help. The router keeps losing track of IP addresses. Setting up reserved IPs would help that router from ending up in that state again, and keep that annoying delay/dropping from happening.

It would be easier to point the finger at Sonos and their S2 software, and wait for a ‘bug fix’, but it is a local router issue, and not something Sonos can address. 

I use FING to search my local network and I can see each of my SONOS products has their own IP address. I do have 55 IP addresses in my system….perhaps that is too many.

I’ve also a Hue system, and run a wired network. Voice commands and iOS devices are working without any delay. Have you tried to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem on at least one of these systems, and called Sonos Support to discuss it? It’s entirely possible that they might see something in the details of the diagnostic that those of us who don’t work for Sonos can’t see. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Just eliminate potential cause being Private Wifi address - toggled on / off /on - no difference to performance in either setting