Answered

Anyone else experiencing severe APP LAG & slow loading/refresh with S2?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Ever since we took the plunge for S2 (including upgrading/purchasing 6 new Sonos unit for S2 compatibility) it’s been a real mess (system stability and WiFi issues)! 

The iOS version of the S2 app is very slow to load, lags almost always, and has a terrible screen refresh rate compared to ANY iOS app we have in the household.   Now 20-40 seconds might not seem like long for an iPhone/Pad app to load/refresh, but if you’re trying to get some quick control over the volume or switching songs this is a STUPID amount of time! 

S1 was almost instant across all platforms and apps.  While I realize Apple can take some blame for issues with iOS apps, why is S2 slow on PC and Amazon Fire (Android) devices as well?  

I’m guessing I’m not the only one, but Sonos sure seem slow to address this no matter how many times I’ve reported it to support. 

Anyone else think this degrades the Sonos experience beyond the obvious annoyances (especially compared to the hundred or so other apps we use with NO lagging)? 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 January 2021, 00:23

View original

163 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The system gets the streams straight from the internet. For your phone to connect the system your network is needed. Which is where the interference could come in…….

Yes but why is it only the Sonos app, or connecting to the Sonos system has this issue?

Because Sonos requires inter-device communication on the local network to work correctly, and sadly many routers can’t do this correctly.

The system gets the streams straight from the internet. For your phone to connect the system your network is needed. Which is where the interference could come in…….

Yes but why is it only the Sonos app, or connecting to the Sonos system has this issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

3 years later…still an issue. Not an ‘interference’ problem. Music always streams fine, it’s the app connecting to the system that has the delay. Sonos says it’s an issue they’re working on. Some day?

One of the most frustrating things with the S2 app is its slowness. Specifically, when moving from one track to the next in a playlist the details of the new track don’t appear, sometimes until halfway through the song. 

Sounds like a bit of network issue, or an issue between the Controller App and the speakers, as the ‘now playing’ screen updates almost instantly here with the selected track details and the Album Art takes a second, or so, after the track begins playing.

See attached example screen-capture, as I manually select each one of the tracks in a queued playlist…

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Using what service? I do not recognise this - I’m using Spotify.

Badge

One of the most frustrating things with the S2 app is its slowness. Specifically, when moving from one track to the next in a playlist the details of the new track don’t appear, sometimes until halfway through the song. 

Badge

Thanks @106rallye - yes..I dont mean to suggest the App is  necessarily the problem.. but the connection of the App/phone/network through to the devices on the network.  ..

I have now connected an ethernet cable to one device, and also followed other suggestions including reserving ip addresses for the devices…. and the time for S2 to recognise the system and connect has reduced…. its now about 7-10 seconds...for the first device to appear, and then others slowly pop up..  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If the Bridge worked well for you, you could pick up it's successor, the Boost, while it is still available - it is out of production.

Your statement “its the ability of the Sonos app to connect to the Sonos system” might be read as if it puts the blame on the app. Remember the app is running on your phone, that needs to mak the connection to your network and down the line to your devices. The problem could also be the connection between your phone and the network.

Badge

I am having the same issues @kassey22000 after buying new kit and moving from S1 to S2.  Constantly being asked to search for system as my app cannot find system.  Happens on iphone and macbook

instantly plays anything on each room (loaded playlist for example) if manually started from the device so agree its not wifi connection to router of room components - its the ability of the Sonos app to connect to the Sonos system. Only difference I have between old and new is that my S1 system was an original Sonos system that used its own wireless mesh and needed an ethernet connection (or bridge) to work.  When this was upgraded to remove need for bridge, the ethernet connection remained…. When I upgraded I commissioned the new system without ethernet connection from router to devices…. So wondering if its wifi connection.  Was going to try reconnecting an ethernet but new devices not near to router now….

I’ve also been experiencing this lag in the app for some time finding all the system components upon launching the app.

I recently went into my router settings, and reserved/assigned  specific IP addresses (vs dynamic assignments by the router) for every Sonos product in the system (which is a considerable amount of Sonos Products, I admit). . My experience so far is an immediate and considerable  improvement in load time and listing all the products in the system. 

I’m not suggesting this may work well for everyone, but time will tell for me. So far, I have completely closed the app several times, and upon opening the app, I am currently down to 5-6 sec for finding a system with over 24 components! Let's see if this lasts! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Ubiquity Access Points - you access them from either a controller (Cloud Key or built into a Ubiquity router) or their App. There might be ssh access too but I think [it has been years] it must be enabled first.

You really need to visit their forums and your account page there: https://account.ui.com/

Userlevel 2
Badge

Ubiquiti Unifi 6 I think. They may be access points.

Maybe this will assist? …

Thanks! I’ll check it out….

Maybe this will assist? …

Userlevel 2
Badge

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Ceiling flush? I see a wall mount, “Dream Wall” but no ceiling mounted ones.

Which Ubiquity routers do you have? 

How could they all be on the same IP address?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Anywhere I can get instructions on how to fix or reserve IP’s? I have  one main AT&T router which has fiver optic 250+ speed and then two Ubiquti routers elsewhere in the house. They have different names with all the SONOS speakers and amps using the Ubitqutis.

You need to go to the Ubiquity router’s DHCP Settings page and set the static/reserved IP addresses there.

Maybe?  https://community.ui.com/questions/USG-DHCP-Reservations/4841af19-d873-47b0-afba-262a0a97cf97

192.168.1, 192.168.100…...I’ve tried everything and can no longer get into my router. I used to be able to easily access my router’s login….no longer…..

The router login address details, including any default username and password are usually printed somewhere on the router itself.

Problem is that my Unifi Routers are mounted ceiling flush (not taking them down to look at the back of them). I have always been able to access them at 192.168.1.1. No longer. 

Anywhere I can get instructions on how to fix or reserve IP’s? I have  one main AT&T router which has fiver optic 250+ speed and then two Ubiquti routers elsewhere in the house. They have different names with all the SONOS speakers and amps using the Ubitqutis.

You need to go to the Ubiquity router’s DHCP Settings page and set the static/reserved IP addresses there.

Maybe?  https://community.ui.com/questions/USG-DHCP-Reservations/4841af19-d873-47b0-afba-262a0a97cf97

192.168.1, 192.168.100…...I’ve tried everything and can no longer get into my router. I used to be able to easily access my router’s login….no longer…..

The router login address details, including any default username and password are usually printed somewhere on the router itself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The Ubiquity forums are going to be where you get the access issues sorted too.

So many thousands of possible addresses guessing won’t help. Maybe a network scanner like nmap could find the router and get you the IP to try.

RFC 1918 specified a private address space of IPs reserved for internal networks:

• 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255 (10.0.0.0/8)
  • 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255 (172.16.0.0/12)
  • 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255 (192.168.0.0/16)
Userlevel 2
Badge

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Userlevel 2
Badge

If using Ubiquiti WiFi then this link might perhaps be useful to you too…

https://github.com/IngmarStein/unifi-sonos-doc

I also have this note for Unifi access points…

1. Uncheck “Enable multicast enhancement (IGMPv3)”. 
  2. Do not check “Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data”

…and I’ve seen other users here in the community mention the following;

• In the Settings tab, click Wireless Networks.
  • Click Edit next to the network SSID.
  • Expand Advanced Options.
  • Uncheck Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data.
  • In the Settings tab, click Sites.
  • Disable Auto-Optimize Network.

I hope this helps.

Thanks! I’ll go do this as soon as I can….

If using Ubiquiti WiFi then this link might perhaps be useful to you too…

https://github.com/IngmarStein/unifi-sonos-doc

I also have this note for Unifi access points…

1. Uncheck “Enable multicast enhancement (IGMPv3)”. 
  2. Do not check “Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data”

…and I’ve seen other users here in the community mention the following;

• In the Settings tab, click Wireless Networks.
  • Click Edit next to the network SSID.
  • Expand Advanced Options.
  • Uncheck Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data.
  • In the Settings tab, click Sites.
  • Disable Auto-Optimize Network.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I spent many hours on the IP address issue and was never able to pin it down to a Sonos or router problem. Both looked to be doing exactly what was expected.

Still things didn’t work, particularly at updates or power fail/restore times.

Setting the static/reserved IPs solved my issue.

Number of clients supported should be addressed in the router’s forums but unless it is junk it should happily support at least a /24, about 250 devices.