Answered

Anyone else experiencing severe APP LAG & slow loading/refresh with S2?

Show first post

163 replies

I’m just wondering if it’s a DNS issue? Maybe someone else will chime in here from the UK, if they use both BT and Spotify and can ‘kindly’ do a similar Artist search.

Anyhow it seems to be working okay here.

Here’s what I am seeing … I still am not noticing any significant delay. Seems almost instant to me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The multi-service search (which is junk IMHO, desktop single-service search rocks for so many reasons) is subject to issues if one of those services is slow. In order for someone to reproduce your issue, they may well need the same combination of services as you have.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Artist selected makes no difference - always same delay 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Search in artists for Scott Walker using magnifying glass and then by browsing/ selecting Spotify and then searching 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Expanding on this - the results on my system are returned as follows : Amazon (non- subscription) hype machine qobuz then Spotify.   Given that the direct Spotify search is quick, it seems that there is a delayed search across other platforms ahead of Spotify search.  This did not used to Be the case

@IJN,
So can you give a sloooow search-example, so I can try it here.

Note that the servers that Sonos has been told by Spotify to connect to are different servers than the Spotify app itself. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

So what appears to be happening : if the search is focused on a specific streaming service - lets say Spotify - different ways of doing this - through S½ apps Browse function (music notes) / select Spotify/ search artist album - or using Mac controller (which can’t do cross platform searches) - the results are instant.  Similarly by using Spotify app directly.  However using the magnifying glass icon to do a cross platform search very recently appears to have been corrupted and hangs seemingly for ever when searching 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi Ken 

Here’s the latest : Sorry - once more.  What I wrote about using browsing and then searching is generally true and returns instant results if a new search artist / album is requested which has not previously been requested using the magnifying glass - all very strange

I use BBC Sounds, but don’t use Qobuz - but maybe it’s one one of the streaming services that I don’t use, that are holding things up. Try removing the services perhaps one at a time and see if you can pinpoint the culprit. I just checked the Sonos Services Status Page HERE (just in case) and that’s not showing any reported issues with any of the services however.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Sorry - ignore the last post - I can’t seem to replicate what I’ve written ie there doesn’t appear to be general search function within browse only suggestions based on search history.  Not sure what I must have been looking at 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Would someone try searching with the pan streaming service search magnifying glass instead of the browse search and see if for them the search is slow .  Thanks 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Just founded something interesting - I have always searched using the magnifying glass symbol which until recently returned results quickly - this searches across multiple streaming services with which I have an account - this is now taking much longer than previously.  However if I use the browse function and select a Spotify account the results are instantaneous- therefore for some reason it’s the functionality of the search function across several streaming services which is now very slow compared with pretty much instant previously. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Just re-read your reply - it’s not confined to slow Spotify searches -Qobuz  and BBC sounds eyc also slow to return results 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

If I search from the Spotify app using the same iPhone or via voice pretty much instant play.   The issue re app occurs with both S2 and S1 with discreet Sonosnet systems and discreet internet accounts / routers .

reached out to Sonos help and submitted a new diagnostic from today’s house.  Travelling to the other two early next week so picking up from there and submitting further diagnostics.  I’ve had Sonos since 2010 and no issues previously.  Also yesterday used old redundancy iPhone 6 running older iOS software and still same issue.  Very strange that this happens in four distinct locations even when using controller devices which are unique to those locations 

I just tried ‘The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway’ and it was less than a second for Spotify (and other services) to show that Album from Genesis in the results list.

Now in a different property using S2 this time.  Same issue even though totally different Sonos household and different router.   Searching within S2 app just hangs bit can play immediately if search from within Spotify app.  Matters not if I use my iPhone which has travelled from one home to this or an in unit iPad controller which is only used here 

No one else seems to be complaining about this, so maybe speak to either Spotify Support, or Sonos Support. It will be the Spotify servers that are returning the results, I presume.

I only use their Spotify Free service here and that gives an almost instant return. Amazon Music and Deezer, which I subscribe to, seem almost instant aswell. 

Can you perhaps give one, or two, search terms, Artist/Album etc. that you are searching for and I will happily check again, but ideally you will still need to speak to the Support Staff - I would expect to see more complaining about this issue, if it was a wide-spread issue.

Since the controller is talking to the app running on the speakers, unless there’s an issue with the controller device talking to the router, it shouldn’t make any difference which controller you’re using.

I’d suspect a duplicate IP address issue at first blush, although DNS issues can’t be ruled out, there are a lot of things involved with network events such as a search.  This is why a diagnostic submitted within 10 minutes, followed by a call to Sonos, who has the ability to read them, is helpful. We peons on this forum don’t have access to that hard data. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Now in a different property using S2 this time.  Same issue even though totally different Sonos household and different router.   Searching within S2 app just hangs bit can play immediately if search from within Spotify app.  Matters not if I use my iPhone which has travelled from one home to this or an in unit iPad controller which is only used here 

Now you just need to call Sonos support, and give them that diagnostic number. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Submitted diagnostic 90385481

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Just eliminate potential cause being Private Wifi address - toggled on / off /on - no difference to performance in either setting 

I’ve also a Hue system, and run a wired network. Voice commands and iOS devices are working without any delay. Have you tried to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem on at least one of these systems, and called Sonos Support to discuss it? It’s entirely possible that they might see something in the details of the diagnostic that those of us who don’t work for Sonos can’t see. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

..,and the issue seems the same whether using S1 (one household with one legacy Play 5) or S2 (three other households).