A linux controller is needed.

Userlevel 3
A linux controller for the Sonos system is really needed. A basic controller shouldn't be that hard to create, so even if the userbase is smaller then for Windows there shouldn't be a cost-reason to not do this. The strength of Sonos is ease-of use, and a user that -for instance- prefers Ubuntu will be left to use his/her phone.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

258 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Sonos, please create a native client for Linux! Or a good Webinterface, then the whole issue about which Linux is gone as well, and then the Windows and Mac clients can be decommissioned as well. With Windows XP soon running towards it's end of support (8 april 2014) more people might start using Linux. Reasons enough to start an HTML5/CSS3 version of the Controller.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Just found Janos, a Java based Sonos controller which worked direct on my Ubuntu 12.04 system. https://sourceforge.net/projects/janos/ Not yet feature complete, but it works!
Userlevel 3
Just found Janos, a Java based Sonos controller which worked direct on my Ubuntu 12.04 system. https://sourceforge.net/projects/janos/ Not yet feature complete, but it works!
If I see it correctly, it hasn't been updated for a year: does it even work with an update sonos system? anyway, I did try this one some time ago and while it does work 'in a pinch', it wasn't any better then using a wine or phone version, so while a valid workaround (thanks for mentioning it) not a real option: an actual up-to-date, nice looking client from sonos would be expected nowadays. and it is rediculous that for such a "it just works" // "out of the box" // "user friendly" system we have to jump through these hoops.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
The site has been updated last april, but the product only long ago. But ... it works. Would be so nice if they would continue development this platform independent controller.
I use a PC with Widows 7, but many of my friends still have PCs with Windows XP. As you know that OS becomes obsolete when Microsoft stops updating Windows XP, next April 2014. Eventhought my friend's older XP PCs are old by today's standards, they still function well, and they are planning to change to Linux Ubuntu, instead of trying the often futile update to a more demanding OS, such Windows 7. and pity the thought of buying new PC with < choke > Windows 8. I feel that it's well about time that your company offers a SONUS app through the Ubuntu Software Center, established long before the Apple app store was a figment of Steve Job's imaginatiion. Come on, what are you waiting for?
The day they create a native linux version ill buy one connect:amp for my bathroom. Though I dont think I want to expand my system further if they do not support us with linux. I only have linux on my home server and I do not plan to install windows just because sonos fancy that...
maybe it's all been said but I think this is a great idea for those of us ditching our mac/windows machines and going linux. please either develop the desktop controller application for linux or release the api so that someone else can do it for us. thanks.
Userlevel 1
Badge
The wish for a Linux-controller is clearly there, still, of the top twenty-list in the 'ideas' - section the topic is the ONLY ONE without any status notification. Shame on you, Sonos.
+1 vote for Linux controller. Perhaps there's still this stigma against Linux that it's for a selected group of nerds, but with the rise of amazing Linux desktops and their use by casual users, there is clearly a need for a Linux controller. I think releasing the API would be a great alternative.
Please think about it. People that use Linux based distros, usually are the geekest among their firends. And they are the onces that friends consult on technology based products. So If a geek has Sonos and is very happy because he can run it on his linux base computer, he will highly recomend it. 🙂
Give us a web interface at least.
Guys, I can't believe that you want to ignore us. We are the 99 percent!
Guys, you cannot just ignore the linux community.
We are the 99 percent and we are requesting a solution!
Do something please
+1 to a native client
+1 to a native linux client
native client or web interface, please
I was considering buy one of these but no way if there isn't a controller that works on linux.
No official reply after a year ? 😕
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Maybe we should start using social media to get them to move!
Userlevel 1
Maybe we should start using social media to get them to move!
Maybe if it were revealed that Sonos has chosen to ignore customers it would have an impact.  What would be the best way to employ social media?  Sounds like a revolution to me.  I am ready.  Perhaps this sort of prodding is in order.  Wake up Sonos and respond to your existing customers.
Userlevel 3
I did pick up a comment from a sonos employee (kinda off the record, on another forum, ofcourse not an official reply).

Basically (paraphrasing and translating): it's a real small percentage and even they mostly use iOs or Android. They try to focus on "complete user experience" improvement.

Kinda felt like a nice big middle finger for linux users.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Have you seen this video, a guy is creating a nice HTML5 sonos controller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Dke5LsTF0

I have twittered about it on @Baseneelco so please retweet to get Sonos moving, because I think that it is Sonos who should develop a webcontroller like that.
Userlevel 3
Have you seen this video, a guy is creating a nice HTML5 sonos controller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Dke5LsTF0

I have twittered about it on @Baseneelco so please retweet to get Sonos moving, because I think that it is Sonos who should develop a webcontroller like that.

Maybe, but that's a bit besides the point here, isn't it? While a webcontroller might be a functional workaround for Linux users, the fact remains that as long as the focus for controllers is on native apps, it is rediculous that there is none for Linux.

So I consider it somewhat a bad thing to focus on this, at least in this topic which is especially trying to get attention for a Linux Native client. Sonos will go and point to these initiatives as 'valid alternatives', and keep focussing their effort (new features etc) on other platforms.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Don't agree with that. If Sonos would just create a good HTML5 webapp, we're not forced to use windows or ios to use an official controller any more.

With a web controller, responding like native apps, the need for a (Linux, windows, ios) app is gone and Sonos could focus on bringing the best functionality to all platforms.

It is also showing that the lack of Sonos response on either topics is a shame, a shame that they don't respond and that users are now starting their own controllers. Which in itself is great, but should not be necessary.
Userlevel 3

...but it seems you do agree by calling it "either topics" that they are different topics, and that's all I wanted to focus on: it is a different topic, so while a good thing in/for itself, it is a different thing. I was mainly focussing on the fact you point out: user-created, and I agree with you sentiment!

The problem I have is that if it is not a Sonos app, but an 'aftermarket' app, it will never be as good as a Sonos app, at least in some ways (for instance new features, as Sonos obviously will have an advantage in an earlier start). 

So while it might be a solution for some, I think it is not the best solution. that's an opinion of course. But apart from that opinion, it will give Sonos something to point towards in topics like this: "no, we don't need to do something for you, you have a workaround!"

Sonos needs to release a stable, usable, up-to-date API for controlling OR implement something themselves. As long as they don't do that, it's all just workaround to me.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

The problem I have is that if it is not a Sonos app, but an 'aftermarket' app, it will never be as good as a Sonos app, at least in some ways (for instance new features, as Sonos obviously will have an advantage in an earlier start).
agree with you. That's why I say it is a shame it comes this far. A real Sonos app is a better solution, the rest is workaround, just as you mentioned.