A linux controller is needed.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

258 replies

Userlevel 3
Should be easy to port if there exists one for mac already!
Yup, you would think so 🙂. This is certainly true for most libraries I think, but the (closed off/proprietary) graphical shell of OSX is somewhat of in issue. There's no real hardcore 3d graphics going on, so that shouldn't pose too big a problem I guess. Maybe some of the Sonos developers can shine a light on here?
Userlevel 3
Hi, 4.1 works fine with wine look at my German post. http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=35458 Howto: rm -rf ~/.wine-sonos ~/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs/Sonos* WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-sonos wine wineboot WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-sonos winetricks -q msxml3 dotnet40 tahoma WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-sonos wine ~/Downloads/SonosDesktopController41.exe -- enable Emulate a virtual desktop (Winecfg Graphics tab) -- WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-sonos winecfg cd ~/.wine-sonos/drive_c/Program\ Files/Sonos/ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-sonos wine Sonos.exe Regards, FwvG
It is needlessly slow though.
After Sonos merged my comment with others like it, I am amazed at the wide popularity of this idea. I am guessing that one barrier to doing this is the wide variety of Linux offshoots which exist. Should they do it for ubuntu, debian, slackware, redhat, fedora, or Suze, ...? The list goes on and on. What they do not reckon with is the wide core of fanatic Linux users who DO program (reacting to several opposing comments). Sonos, if you could figure out some core which you keep as proprietary, and surround it with an Open-Source wrapper, in short order there would exist variants for every Linux in existence whose devotees also own Sonos. I would certainly try to do my bit for Slackware/Puppy Linux. Alternatively, you might consider placing the Windows controller software as Open Source. If that were to be done, I bet the community could and would produce a family of Linux controllers in short order. And it might relieve you of a burden which you now bear and which soaks up needed funds. Since the controller software is not a profit center, this makes a lot of sense. I think it might require a technical contact point, as opposed to how many people are working now on controllers? What do you think Sonos?
After Sonos merged my comment with others like it, I am amazed at the wide popularity of this idea. I am guessing that one barrier to doing this is the wide variety of Linux offshoots which exist. Should they do it for ubuntu, debian, slackware, redhat, fedora, or Suze, ...? The list goes on and on. What they do not reckon with is the wide core of fanatic Linux users who DO program (reacting to several opposing comments). Sonos, if you could figure out some core which you keep as proprietary, and surround it with an Open-Source wrapper, in short order there would exist variants for every Linux in existence whose devotees also own Sonos. I would certainly try to do my bit for Slackware/Puppy Linux. Alternatively, you might consider placing the Windows controller software as Open Source. If that were to be done, I bet the community could and would produce a family of Linux controllers in short order. And it might relieve you of a burden which you now bear and which soaks up needed funds. Since the controller software is not a profit center, this makes a lot of sense. I think it might require a technical contact point, as opposed to how many people are working now on controllers? What do you think Sonos?
Yes, I hope that Sonos doesn't fail to see that releasing the source would mean more sales of their hardwareitems.
Userlevel 1
Badge
A Linux-controller would definitely be welcome. We have not one single Mac or Windows-PC in the house and are therefore completely dependent on our Android phones. Which is the third best solution in any case.
+1 to a Linux Sonos controller. Since it already runs on Android and Mac OS, where is the difficulty for a Linux native controller? I would buy more Sonos products (e.g. the Sub), but for the frustration of seeing my wife control the music from her (Windows) laptop when I can't. Exploring more Linux-friendly alternatives now.
Would be great if we have this on Linux!
I reckon they need this in their roadmap. As a developer myself, its certainly in mine.
I kindly ask Sonos to release a Linux Controller as soon as possible. I am pretty sure it's not a technical problem, it's more a strategic and political issue. !! Who of you wants to develop new sound hardware and start competition with Sonos? Let's make it similar but better. Please contact me for serious inquiries. +1 for competition!
I kindly ask Sonos to release a Linux Controller as soon as possible. I am pretty sure it's not a technical problem, it's more a strategic and political issue. !! Who of you wants to develop new sound hardware and start competition with Sonos? Let's make it similar but better. Please contact me for serious inquiries. +1 for competition!
I'm agreed with you, that this isn't a technical problem. They are afraid that someone can find the source code off the sonos devices.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I wonder why nobody at Sonos seems to bother to even notice this thread
Userlevel 1
It has gone on way too long for them to respond to the request now. A Sonos weak point is customer service. Use your tablet, iPod, or smartphone for a controller if you have such a device.
There is clear interest from Sonos community. Even if they have no plans for GNU/Linux, it should be fairly easy for them to embed a web UI on to their box. This thread has grown too long with no interest from Sonos. They have no sense of customer support or community management.
Userlevel 2
We need a Linux Controller !
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos, Please give us a Linux controller. Can someone at least acknowledge us?
Userlevel 3
There was a response by "official rep" Gordon M about 7 months ago, stating " Our product management team is aware of the demand for a Sonos solution on Linux." It would be great if there was at least some response after all this time?
Userlevel 3
Badge
We have no recent update neighter about a linux native solution, neither about an alternative solution like the one described here: Web Service provided by a new kind of brigde.
It would be grate, if Sonos has a Linux Controller
I agree, we need as controller for linux. This shouldn't be too difficult to do since there is already a controler for Mac and Android. I guess the reason we don't have one is not technical.
Userlevel 1
Badge
There is a project called Rahim's SoCo that is python based. Does anyone have any further information on that?
Worked for me. Although, the app runs slow and there are graphics issues (flickering). wine1.6+ is required - on Ubuntu, this can be installed by using wine's ppa (http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu)
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hm.... seems there is another possibility. I have installed android in a virtual box and can now control my sonos from linux. I followed these instructions: http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/03/01/how-to-run-android-apps-in-linux-with-androvm/ However, I manually had to enter the IP addresses of my zone players and I am using one of the free android widgets rather than the full controller.
Userlevel 3
Mind you that while all these android etc remarks are good workarounds, but in no way are a valid substitution for an actual client. It is slow, can break easily (see the whole wine-version discussion for example) and is genearlly more fuss. That's why this topic is here: a native linux controller is a good idea.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I agree with you, and I also think it's quite ironic that Sonos, who use Linux as the operating system of choice for all their systems, cannot (do not want to) provide a native Linux- controller. However, in the meantime for me the Android-solution is better than none at all because I really hate having to control the system with my smartphone.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hey Sonos! Any new updates? SONOS, I know you guys are aware but that's like me aware that bad things happen in other places in the world, or are you guys aware and planning on getting a client for us? I really hope you guys are not ignoring us.