Volume Randomly Increasing to Max

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

114 replies

For me the update for Spotify didn’t fix the bug!

Playing with the Sonos app doesnt give a problem. But when I play music from the Spotify app on my Samsung S8 (even after the laste update (Version 8.5.32.889, Netherlands, Europe) the volume goes suddently MAX!

Im curious if I am the only one.

Badge

I wonder if it's been fixed on Android but not iPhone, or if I'm kidding myself it's been fixed at all

I’m guessing you have contacted Sonos and submitted a Diagnostic so that they can verify which device asked for the volume to be ramped up? If not, I think its worth doing ‘cos it keeps them in the loop and perhaps puts pressure on Spotify if it is them. I found Sonos really helpful with this.

I posted these a couple of times but it's no longer immediately obvious to me how to contact them (I have in the past).

23rd October 2019 48662544

28th October 2029 1434685313

Anyway, I'm now pretty sure Android is fixed, for me at least. From your experience, it seems Spotify still have to fix iPhone.

This ought to be a big deal for both Spotify and Sonos if they are losing sales

I wonder if it's been fixed on Android but not iPhone, or if I'm kidding myself it's been fixed at all

I’m guessing you have contacted Sonos and submitted a Diagnostic so that they can verify which device asked for the volume to be ramped up? If not, I think its worth doing ‘cos it keeps them in the loop and perhaps puts pressure on Spotify if it is them. I found Sonos really helpful with this.

Badge

I’m suddenly experiencing the same MAXIMUM SONOS VOLUME on my 2 Sonos Play5 [Gen1] using Spotify. If I wasn’t deaf before, I sure as hell am now! It’s happened twice … and I won’t have it again … so my much loved Sonos devices are firmly switched off until I can be sure of avoiding a repeat episode. I’ve used Sonos boxes these for years without problems, so I’m really missing them.

I’ll look at limiting the maximum Sonos volume [as suggested elsewhere in this thread although even random 50% volume could be problemmatic], and I’ll also submit a Sonos diagnostic. Unless I can get this fixed, I’ll be ditching Sonos or Spotify or both hard as I’ll find that! My planned purchase of a Sonos Move is also on hold!

I contacted Sonos who asked me to send a diagnostic … said they can identify the device causing the volume change …. unfortunately I’d switched my speakers off, which meant that the trace had gone. Sonos were helpful anyway … pointing out it was time I scrapped my old bridges and asking me to resubmit a diagnostic if the MAX Volume issue happens again. Meantime, setting my MAX VOLUME = 50% should reduce the impact of any recurrence. I’m back in business thankfully!

Hi Podra,

It would be interesting to know if you have the latest version of Spotify. Version 8.5.32.889 seems to have fixed it for us on Android, but I need to do more testing. We were out all day Christmas shopping, but it was fine this morning.

If it's fixed we might think of another Sonos purchase to celebrate! We have really old stuff

Hi I have really old gen1 Sonos kit too. My partner have the latest version of Android Spotify 8.5.32.889 …. but I was using my iPhone when I experienced the MAX VOLUME problem -   Its on version 8.5.31.989 - that seems to be the latest available for iPhone, but perhaps there’s another version in the pipeline. Good luck with the shopping!

Badge

I’m suddenly experiencing the same MAXIMUM SONOS VOLUME on my 2 Sonos Play5 [Gen1] using Spotify. If I wasn’t deaf before, I sure as hell am now! It’s happened twice … and I won’t have it again … so my much loved Sonos devices are firmly switched off until I can be sure of avoiding a repeat episode. I’ve used Sonos boxes these for years without problems, so I’m really missing them.

I’ll look at limiting the maximum Sonos volume [as suggested elsewhere in this thread although even random 50% volume could be problemmatic], and I’ll also submit a Sonos diagnostic. Unless I can get this fixed, I’ll be ditching Sonos or Spotify or both hard as I’ll find that! My planned purchase of a Sonos Move is also on hold!

I contacted Sonos who asked me to send a diagnostic … said they can identify the device causing the volume change …. unfortunately I’d switched my speakers off, which meant that the trace had gone. Sonos were helpful anyway … pointing out it was time I scrapped my old bridges and asking me to resubmit a diagnostic if the MAX Volume issue happens again. Meantime, setting my MAX VOLUME = 50% should reduce the impact of any recurrence. I’m back in business thankfully!

Hi Podra,

It would be interesting to know if you have the latest version of Spotify. Version 8.5.32.889 seems to have fixed it for us on Android, but I need to do more testing. We were out all day Christmas shopping, but it was fine this morning.

If it's fixed we might think of another Sonos purchase to celebrate! We have really old stuff

Badge

Thanks Ryan,

That update was 4 days ago but Spotify hadn't updated. I've got 8.5.32.889 now and I'm getting more optimistic it's a fix. The "widgety thing" is up, but the volume hasn't maxed out (yet).

Thanks for the support here.

There have been Spotify/Sonos problems mentioned on here for several years. Is this the first fix?

I've ONLY suffered for, I guess, 6 weeks. Would it be churlish to suggest it's taken a ridiculous amount of time for Spotify to get their act together?

(Maybe there have been different problems)

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

There’s a new Spotify app for Android available today, version 8.5.32.889, which should resolve this issue for people who have trouble with the volume ramping up when using Spotify direct control. If you’ve been having this issue, please make sure to update your Spotify app and test it out.

If it’s still giving you trouble, let us know!

Badge

Diagnostics

23rd October 2019 48662544

28th October 2029 1434685313

Badge

I’m going to switch off my phone for a while and only use the laptop, then report back :)

Good idea! That might be equivalent to me using my old controller that sonos used to sell.

If I use it to restart streaming from a Spotify playlist then I have no problem, unless I subsequently go to my phone.

If/when that widgety thing starts on my phone then the volume will go maximum eventually, even without starting the Spotify app

I’m going to switch off my phone for a while and only use the laptop, then report back :)

Badge

Oh, that’s interesting! I use the laptop most of the time to control Spotify, but yes, their Android widget randomly crashes and restarts. No idea whether it’s equally bad on an iPhone.

Hi Bjørn

Thanks for the reply.

It does look like the Spotify widget but it's not on my home screen. I swipe down for various android settings and it's below that

Oh, that’s interesting! I use the laptop most of the time to control Spotify, but yes, their Android widget randomly crashes and restarts. No idea whether it’s equally bad on an iPhone.

Badge

I've noticed it seems to happen to me at the same time as the the small Spotify button menu appears the top of the android swipe down menu. I don't know the terminology. Maybe Spotify Connect.

So far swiping this away every time it appears seems to eventually stop it happening - at least until the next time I launch Spotify.

Time will tell if I'm right about this.

I can confirm it started a few weeks ago. It doesn't happen if I launch Spotify songs only using my old Sonos controller. But if I then use my phone, even without launching Spotify, it happens when Spotify Connect pops up

Happening to me too.  Have submitted a diagnostic, ID 1722275228.

Thanks Ryan.  As annoying as it is it's good to know that we are at least being heard. There clearly need to be more collaboration on change control between sonos and its partners  especially spotify it would seem  

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi everyone, we’re working with Spotify on this issue still. It’ll only come up when using the Spotify app to control Sonos, and not for all systems. I’ll let you know as soon as we’ve got more information to share on a resolution.

Aye, after the last update the volume went all the way up between songs, and Björk’s ‘Innocence’ is not what you want blasted at you at full power without prior warning.

The real solution to this problem seems to be called Apple Music. I’ve been trying to keep away from it, but it looks like Spotify is bent on getting rid of me. This is neither the first nor the tenth big issue I had with Spotify in the last few years.

Your confirmation number is: 1066012021 

10:29AM GMT - Jumped again, not to max in the spotify app or Sonos app ( I do have the max vol set to 70%)

Apps open on the laptop but not in focus and I wasn’t at my desk

When I opened the Sonos app though it prompted for an update, so not sure if that’s a clue.

happened again 11:06AM - 825500862 -Same circumstance, not using them.

Latest update applied so didn’t fix it:cry:

Wow this is annoying this morning…

Summary:

10:29AM GMT - 1066012021 

11:06AM GMT - 825500862

11:13AM GMT - 1795524475.

11:17AM GMT - 478740751

Yeah I’m giving up logging it, it’s happening too frequently

Userlevel 1
Badge

From Spotify support:

"I've checked this and can see that our best tech folks are still looking in to this, sorry to keep you waiting. I understand this must be frustrating, but hopefully it shouldn’t be too much longer for a fix."

Userlevel 1
Badge

this has been happening to me, but today it's happening repeatedly. I play music from Spotify to any of my Sonos speakers and the the volume jumps to 100%.

Did we know if this is a Sonos bug or a Spotify bug?

And more importantly, is there a fix on the horizon?

Yup same here.  With no warning when streaming from Spotify I get 100% volume out of a pair of play 1s.  I live in an apartment and have had complaints from the neighbours as this happened whilst in the shower. I take care of my equipment and don't appreciate them being thrashed  uncommanded !  Please fix with Spotify .  Surely this is one of the most common configurations these days? They may sound great but  My word do they have some problems    Not good enough  . 

looks like i’ll have to either throw out my Sono’s or unsubscribe to spotify. unsure of which one to do yet.  My family thinks the house might be haunted with this random volume change.