Sonos App controls no longer appear on your lock screen

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

226 replies

Just realized my Apple TV had AirPlay turned on. Once I turned it off I was able to use Sonos on the lock screen.
Userlevel 2
You can’t turn airplay off on an iPhone/iPad. You have to unplug any airplay enabled devices.
Userlevel 2
Are you planning on using airplay 2 anywhere in the house? If not, you can set things so that your lock screen controls will come back.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3381?language=en_US

edit: Just realized I'm only repeating what's already been said. oops.

No, you can’t turn off Airplay. You have to unplug all airplay devices, which is really Silly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This is an issue Apple created with the Airplay 2 changes. Now sure how Sonos could win here? Delay Airplay 2 playback and face the wrath of the mob here or enable it with this issue and still face the sort of posts above. :8
Are you planning on using airplay 2 anywhere in the house? If not, you can set things so that your lock screen controls will come back.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3381?language=en_US

edit: Just realized I'm only repeating what's already been said. oops.

No, you can’t turn off Airplay. You have to unplug all airplay devices, which is really Silly.

What airplay devices devices do you have? Other users have disabled airplay through settings on AppleTV and/or Sky Q. Unplugging the device would get it done as well, but shouldn't be necessary.
Userlevel 3
Reset controller in advanced settings in sonos app restores lock screen and hardware volume controls :D

Nope...that didn't work. 😞

Adam! I know I am reviving a 2 year old post, but THANK YOU! I was going nuts and it did it for me too! Now I have my control on Lock Screen , again. THANK YOU, Merry Christmas  be well stay safe!

Currently the only solution is to downgrade to Sonos App 8.6.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Downgrading the app to v8.6 would just lead to a mismatch between controller version and firmware build.
Badge
Thank you so much, got back control on my iWatch 😃 Reset controller in advanced settings in sonos app restores lock screen and hardware volume controls :D

Thing is, this is no different to the Spotify App when using Spotify Connect. There’s no music actually playing on your device in this scenario and yet the lock screen controls work. Clearly there’s a technical workaround to this problem, even if SONOS can’t figure it out/don’t want to use it for some reason.

What’s super frustrating about the situation is that SONOS’ “solution” is to unplug all your non-SONOS Airplay kit, rather than just provide a toggleable option to disable Airplay functionality on THEIR kit, which for most would be a workable compromise as lock screen controls generally add more value than Airplay.

suggesting that customers should be happy to remove functionality of unrelated equipment to accommodate their platform is simply arrogance.

Hi, I have spent the last hour or so on this. I had to disable airplay on my 2 Sky Q devices and I then got the controls back. The Sonos message on this was not clear and I spent the first hour looking for a setting on my phone. So anything you can airplay to has to have airplay disabled on that device.
I only have an Apple TV which was configured to run AirPlay. I turned this off, updated the latest iOS software on my iPhone and boom, volume controls on lock screen is back. Phew.
Badge
I am sure Sonos will send out an update allowing us to disable the Airplay 2 Capabilities so that we can leave our old Apple TV plugged in.
I reset the sonos app and the lock screen controls returned, but then I lose them again if I use Apple Music or Podcasts app. Is there anyway to turn off Airplay so I don't have this issue? I have the Sonos One speaker.
Badge
Currently the only solution is to downgrade to Sonos App 8.6.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Unfortunately not, I was lucky to have an old version (12.5.5 ~ 12.6.3) of iTunes installed on my computer, back when the App Store was still available on the iTunes platform, and you could back up your apps to the computer.

I had 8.6 backed up there. Deleted version 9.0 and dragged and dropped 8.6 while my phone was connected.

I suppose I'll wait here until Sonos fixes this.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
I’m rather confused - my lock screen controls, including hard buttons, work fine. I just tested it, then played something from my iPad to my one Airplay compatible Sonos device, grouped it, then ungrouped it, then started playing something on a non-Airplay Sonos zone. Each time, lock screen controls were there, and worked as expected. With something playing on a non-AirPlay zone, locked the screen and the controls are there. When I used airplay2 to send something from the music app, it worked fine, and the on screen controls were for that track. When I stopped the music, set my iPad to play local instead of AirPlay, and then restarted something on the other zone, locked the screen and controls reappeared. Volume control with slider and hard butttons worked. Has this issue been changed already?
The loss of lock screen is an unacceptable loss in quality of your product. I don’t want to use airplay on Sonos but now I need to disable my Apple TV if I want the lock screen back. Ridiculous. I have two play 5s and a play bar and functionality is getting worse not better. You should refund some of the purchase price for taking away functionality.
Userlevel 1
Badge

What’s next? Remove the ability to connect to a NAS? “Oh yeah, we decided to remove that feature - get over it”

All joking aside, Intuit (Quickbooks and ProSeries) did this about two years ago, screwing professionals along the way.

Architecturally Sonos doesn’t have an issue (Intuit does), but since Sonos is a business - now at the mercy of Amazon and Apple - this wouldn’t surprise me. At all.
This really is an awful update.. makes no sense why you would add one feature and take away another. Your taking away the benefits of Sonos. I can you Airplay on other devices!

So I’m outside and have to go to my phone and open it to change a song? Can I still use my watch, probably not?

Please provide instructions on how to disable Airplay, no one can find it and I’ve wasted a lot of time on this already
Disabled AirPlay on my Apple TV (I use AirPlay once or twice a month so not a big deal to turn it back on when needed). So now I have my controls back, and I can still use AirPlay 2 from my devices to stream to the speakers. I wonder what interferes so much with the Apple TV?
Badge +4
I have the same issue. AirPlay is disabled, lock screen controls are set to "on" but I still can't use the volume buttons when on lock screen. Seconded.
Disable Airplay on Apple TV and that seems to work. Not ideal, but until they fix only solution.. please fix
I just spent 9k+ on a whole house Sonos setup and they takeaway the best feature a few days after I finish. Time to dump Sonos if this is not fixed ASAP.
Userlevel 2
I just spent 9k+ on a whole house Sonos setup and they takeaway the best feature a few days after I finish. Time to dump Sonos if this is not fixed ASAP.I feel your pain!
Yep.. total crap
Needs to be fixed