Sonos App controls no longer appear on your lock screen

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

226 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I was beaten up over my opinion of this when it leaked that this would be an issue.
Now, everyone is up in arms and Sonos basically says “it’s unfortunate” but insinuates “screw all of you.”
Jolly good!
Very unhappy customer. I have had this system up and running for a total of one month before you completely ruined the experience by disabling lockscreen control. If you want to force me to go back to using airplay please tell me you have no plans to fix this, and I will return my Sonos Connect a.s.a.p.
Badge +1
I would not have bought my play:1s last year if it didn’t have lock screen controls. Scam. I bought a Sonos one today to help it but sound adjustment is even more convoluted. I’ll be returning my one tomorrow.

Sonos does not care about their customers.
Dear Sonos Team,

This was really disappointing. Removing this function was a move in wrong direction. Hope you are able to get it back as soon as possible.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I agree: There needs to be a way to disable AirPlay 2 from the Sonos App in order to return what can only be described as basic functionality.
I'm in complete agreement that this is a serious issue and one that needs to be addressed by Sonos (and/or Apple of course).

In the meantime and for those like me that found the original Sonos warning about losing lock screen controls and how to reinstate them unhelpful "refer to your equipment manufacturer" - here's what you need to do to to get the lock screen controls back if you have one or more AppleTVs on your network (which I suspect is the only Airplay device most people have):

On the AppleTV menu, go to Settings> Airplay> Airplay (toggle to "Off").
Do this on all AppleTVs on your network.
Restart the Sonos app on your phone (just kill and relaunch worked for my, there was no need to go into Sonos settings> Advanced Settings> Restart Controller as others have suggested).
Hey presto - Lockscreen controls are back!

Sonos/Apple - please fix the underlying problem though...
Badge +1
Suggesting that reinstating the lock screen control (which is essential on a consumer device like Sonos to make it usable) by disabling airplay, which is a key feature required by other components in our systems, is just absurd. eg Many of us use apirplay on apple TV multiple times a day. It's essential so why on earth would we disable it? I can't believe that disabling airplay is put forward as a solution.

I also find it hard to accept that if the Sonos app is being used lockscreed controls are no longer available. If Spotify can do it when connected to Sonos (not the app; to the sonos speakers) then surely the Sonos app can do it when connected to Sonos.
Userlevel 1
Badge
My Sonos Connect runs through an AV Receiver which has AirPlay built into it - this cannot be switched off.

This situation should not have occurred and the contempt that Sonos have shown to users by dismissing their concerns is worrying. They have withdrawn a key feature.

What’s next? Remove the ability to connect to a NAS? “Oh yeah, we decided to remove that feature - get over it”
I also downgraded to this new version 9 and my lock screen controls are unexpectedly also gone.
unexpectedly, because the only device I see when I look for airplay devices on my iPhone is my Sonos Play:5
We have 4 iPhones and 2 iPads in the house but no other devices capable of either airplay 1 or 2.
Still the Sonos app doesn't show the lock screen controls. How can I switch off airplay on my Sonos Play:5?
I couldn't care less about airplay, but losing the lock screen controls seriously cripples the Sonos experience.
You guys caused this defect by software, so you can solve it by software.
Please do so asap.
Well this is a step backward for Sonos. This functionality was great. Please bring it back again.
I'm a huge Sonos proponent but this latest update is terrible. I still don't really understand the big deal of using Airplay with Sonos? Sonos needs to address this as soon as possible. I'm terribly disappointed.
I'm hoping iOS13 can bring this feature back. I never knew I needed it until it was gone
As already said by the Sonos Community this « downgrade » 9.0 (let’s name it so) is a huge step back in term of ergonomy ! Happy owner of 3 sonos products till now i hope also a 9.1 update asap to correct this problem. How can we use out favorite speaker without a décent UI.
I was literally in the final stage of convincing my parents to kit out their retirement home with a Sonos whole home system (think £££) and after a few months playing with some of my spare speakers and getting them used to it - you go and do this.... I’m sorry to say you just lost some potential customers there with a really dumb move.

I hope you listen to the forums and don’t end up destroying your own reputation further.

Unbelievable.
Badge +1
You may have heard this already, but iOS does not natively provide a way to control devices on your home network from the lock screen in iOS, the controls are only available for audio being played on the device itself. Because of this, the Sonos implementation of lock screen controls was built in a way that's no longer viable and with the launch of AirPlay 2 on Sonos.

Well, how do Spotify do it? Using Spotify connect, Spotify plays through Sonos Speakers. And you get the lockscreen controls after the Sonos 9.0 upgrade and with airplay 2 devices, like apple TV gen 4, running. Spotify is NOT playing on the device itself. You can remove spotify from memory, take the iPod to another location, even destroy it if you want, and Spotify continues playing through the Sonos Speakers. So your statement "the controls are only available for audio being played on the device itself" is incorrect. If we can have the lockscreen control when using Spotify connect with airplay enabled devices on the network, then why we have it when using the Sonos app? Perhaps the Sonos developers should ask Spotify how they do it.
Same here. I do not use AirPlay at all. My Pioneer Elite receiver has it built in so I had to take it off my network so it doesn’t broadcast AirPlay. I have a Logitech RF remote so I can control the receiver from a remote area but it would be nice to have it networked for all of the features that use the internet.

I suspect this an Apple permission thing BUT can’t Sonos just give us the option to turn OFF AirPlay in our Sonos system???

My Sonos Connect runs through an AV Receiver which has AirPlay built into it - this cannot be switched off.

This situation should not have occurred and the contempt that Sonos have shown to users by dismissing their concerns is worrying. They have withdrawn a key feature.

What’s next? Remove the ability to connect to a NAS? “Oh yeah, we decided to remove that feature - get over it”
Userlevel 3
Sonos. As others have stated, multi-device audio control from multi-user devices on the lock screen was a HUGE differentiator for Sonos. Removing it removes one of the key benefits of Sonos. (Likely why Apple is making it difficult!). Other apps seem to have found a workaround and you need to as well. Ideally let users choose whether or not to enable airplay support. As so many have stated. We bought Sonos because of airplay deficiencies. Not a good plan to make Sonos more like Airplay!!!
Userlevel 1
Because of this, the Sonos implementation of lock screen controls was built in a way that's no longer viable and with the launch of AirPlay 2 on Sonos.

And rather than delay the launch of AirPlay 2 to develop a new implementation, or allow users to opt-out of the AirPlay 2 launch, Sonos killed a feature we actually want for one we don't.

Presumably Sonos is working on fixing their implementation of the lock screen controls, or disabling AirPlay2 in favor of maintaining lock screen controls - is there an ETA for when we can get this capability back?
The decision to do this by Sonos was clearly a huge error and shows that they have lost their way. I would suspect that the ratio of customers hurt to benefitted is huge (like 10:1 or more). Why not just give us an option in the app: A. Use Airplay 2 and lose lock screen or B. Disable the "new" feature of Airplay 2 and all its excitingness and let the user use the lock screen controls (which include using hardware volume adjust). Why not do that, Sonos?
The decision to do this by Sonos was clearly a huge error and shows that they have lost their way. I would suspect that the ratio of customers hurt to benefitted is huge (like 10:1 or more). Why not just give us an option in the app: A. Use Airplay 2 and lose lock screen or B. Disable the "new" feature of Airplay 2 and all its excitingness and let the user use the lock screen controls (which include using hardware volume adjust). Why not do that, Sonos?

You do have that option. As Ryan from Sonos stated above, you can bring back the lock screen on Sonos by turning off AirPlay on any devices in your home that aren't Sonos devices.

No need to restate the obvious that is all over this thread. Most of us either can't or don't want to "disable" Airplay (which for certain apple devices means unplugging them). What we want is a switch on the Sonos app that trades off the amazing capability to go around the whole Sonos concept and use Airplay 2 vs being able to control Sonos via the lock screen. That is all.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I believe I've read all the posts on here, but does anyone know if this lack of lock screen control with SONOS is due to them or to Apple?

As a few others have said, disabling Airplay on my laptops/Apple TV/tablets isn't practical. I actually use Airplay for those. I don't personally see the need of using Airplay for music as SONOS does that pretty well.
If it's an Apple issue, I suppose we are just stuck lock-screen-less.
Hopefully it's a SONOS issue that they can fix.
We shall see.
While Apple is not really a friend to anyone outside their walled garden, this problem falls squarely on Sonos.

Spotify has neatly solved this. They have lock screen controls for both their own Spotify Connect protocol as well as when using AirPlay.

Spotify is a music service, not a home audio system. Not a parallel situation.

There is no technical reason Sonos can’t do the same. I’m not saying it’s not complex to implement, but that’s not our problem.

Sonos took away critical functionality to support an inferior multi-room protocol, that makes their speakers act just like any run of the mill AirPlay speaker.

Understandable that you aren't a fan of airplay, but a ton of people do care. And has been explained several times, if you don't want to use airplay, turn it off and your lock screen controls for Sonos return.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Spotify is a music service, not a home audio system. Not a parallel situation.

I think people who use Spotify Connect in their homes to play audio to their speaker systems would be surprised to hear it isn't a home audio system lol.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Got the notice in my iOS app, came here to look, and found this thread. Read comments on page 1 and half of page 2, then skipped to page 6 (the last page as of this moment) hoping there was a better answer, and instead, still people complaining and nothing official from Sonos.

Why is it that every time SONOS updates their app, they "F" things up terribly? Every time I get a notice that Sonos needs to update, I have to pop some anxiety meds before I do the update!

I read that SONOS is struggling as a company. No doubt. With this last update, my android controller (an Amazon Fire HD8 tablet) has been screwy, switching to other rooms all by itself, not refreshing the screen with whatever is playing, not responding to what I tell it to do, and just being plain difficult. It's NEVER done that before.

Are these software releases coming too fast to have been properly tested?
Userlevel 3
Badge
Sonos is garbage. Not only is the lock screen disabled, but I can’t even play music from my phone’s iTunes library without it skipping to the next track every couple minutes. Used to only be an issue with podcasts but now it’s gotten so bad that I can’t even play a three minute song all the way through without interruption. What a rip off.