Sonos App controls no longer appear on your lock screen

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

226 replies

@melvimbe, thanks. I so rarely use Airplay that I hadn't thought of it as way to detect Airplay devices (duh). There was indeed a second amp lurking on my system with active Airplay. With that disabled, the lock screen controls are back, thank you!

But seriously, what a chore. I'm quite sure you're correct and that our ire should be directed at Apple (which no doubt considers its lock screen as valuable real estate that only it should control) rather than Sonos, but "meeting customer expectations" is after all what a consumer products company, especially one like Sonos on the cusp of an IPO, should be all about, and the roll-out of this latest "upgrade" was surreptitious in its failure to warn that it would involve the trade-off of losing one important function in order to gain another (which in my and obviously many other cases, was a net loss). I've been a Sonos customer for over 10 years and have been increasingly dismayed by the direction the software interface has taken, sacrificing simplicity for sub-menus and multi-step processes -- and now this. The irony, of course, is that Sonos started with the ultimate lock-screen/hardware volume control -- i.e. dedicated controller hardware, which they stopped supporting, forcing everyone onto third party devices whose makers ultimately call the shots. Perhaps not the smartest strategy. Indeed, it wouldn't be a bad idea for Sonos to re-introduce a dedicated handheld device to replicate the top-screen functionality we've just lost by this upgrade. I'd probably buy it, however resentfully.

Thanks again.