Sonos App controls no longer appear on your lock screen

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

226 replies

Thank you so much, got back control on my iWatch 😃 Reset controller in advanced settings in sonos app restores lock screen and hardware volume controls :D

How did you manage that, my watch still shows blank on ‘now playing even when after turning off the one airplay device (that I don’t even use!) and got the lock screen back on my iPhone?’ I turned off the only device in my house that came up on ‘screen mirroring’ which ironically was an android box?!

Absolutely devastated by this ‘update’ downgrade, the lock screen controls and watch control are literally the most important aspects of the experience, what an idiotic implementation.. PLEASE GET IT SORTED SONOS, THE AIRPLAY TOGGLE ON/OFF IS A MUST!!
Badge +1
Re the ability to turn airplay on and off from Sonos: This really would be a most unsatisfactory solution for most users. Why should users have to remember to turn airplay on/off? Talk about a band-aid solution! The only real solution is for a consumer device like Sonos is for the Sonos app to work correctly WITH airplay. They need to fix the problem, not expect users to work around it forever. It must be possible to do. Spotify, Plex and others do it -- the lock-screen controls appear with their apps. Sonos needs to work out how to do it as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll get it to the team. You may have heard this already, but iOS does not natively provide a way to control devices on your home network from the lock screen in iOS, the controls are only available for audio being played on the device itself. Because of this, the Sonos implementation of lock screen controls was built in a way that's no longer viable and with the launch of AirPlay 2 on Sonos.

You can bring back the lock screen on Sonos by turning off AirPlay on any devices in your home that aren't Sonos devices, which does work for many households. But if AirPlay is used in your home, this might not be an option.
I do not have any AirPlay devices. Despite this fact, I cannot get the controls back on the lock screen. Restart Controller not working. Turning off Bluetooth not working. Voiceover is disabled. What am I doing wrong? I used lock screen Sonos controls MULTIPLE TIMES EVERY DAY. It was arguably the MOST USED FEATURE of the Sonos app. Idiots.
Sonos, are you kidding with this 9.0 downgrade? Further Sonos buys cancelled and looking into Apple Homepod. Bring back Lock-screen functionality and for Apple watch!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I do not have any AirPlay devices. Despite this fact, I cannot get the controls back on the lock screen.
An Airport Express or similar device would also count as an AirPlay device. If you open up AirPlay from one of your apps, does anything on the network show up?
This is total and absolute BS on behalf of Sonos and if they don’t return my lock screen controls I’ll be looking for another solution!
I do not have any AirPlay devices. Despite this fact, I cannot get the controls back on the lock screen.
An Airport Express or similar device would also count as an AirPlay device. If you open up AirPlay from one of your apps, does anything on the network show up?

I have nothing showing and I don’t use AirPlay. Still can’t get the lock controls back? Shambles.
I have a work around for this. While I’m not impressed by the roll out and got very confused with ‘turn Airplay’ off comments as I have Mac’s, Apple TV’s, Sky Q all with airplay .... anyway .... I have changed from playing music using the Sonos app to playing music on the Spoitify app and then selecting the speaker to use. I can now use my iPhone hard buttons from the lock screen and my Apple Watch to change music and the crown to control the volume. I know this won’t be the best solution for everybody my at least it will work for some and I know my phone is now playing the music which again is not great. I do hope this changes back to how it was AND allow airplay2 as I’m sure there is a thread where people wanted this.
Sonos you really need to fix this. You cant give new products/futures that affect futures you have allready implemented and are functioning vel. Remember that a large portion of your customers have products from you that are not airplay 2 compatible. You should make it possible to turn off the airplay 2 functionality inn your app and devices and not the other way around. We should not have to disable airplay 1/2 on our other devices for lockscreen controls to come back. This is your problem and you need to fix it not us. If i dont use airplay on sonos i should be able to disable it so that i get the true sonos experiance that you talk about and want oss to have. I think you should talk to spotify about how they do there lockscreen controls that functions or talk directly with apple and find a solution together så that people get there lockscreen controls back and apple watch controls back. You should implement apple watch control inn your app regardless. Spotify has it natively supported in there ios app.
Airplay 1/2 should be an extra function i should be able to disable if i want to. You need to think of your properatary sonos system first that functions extreamly well and airplay that is apples secound.
You can’t turn airplay off on an iPhone/iPad. You have to unplug any airplay enabled devices. how do I unplug my iPad?
I've just disconnected my Play1 and put it in a cupboard. Using old bluetooth and harddock speakers until I find something better. Maybe Sonos will wake up and do a software update. My Sonos 3 will be going the same way, but more difficult to disconnect.

I live by my iPhone as I live on three floors so it is the only "controller" that is sensible to use.

If the integrity of the software Sonos provided was as good as the physical hardware then it would be great!
I've just disconnected my Play1 and put it in a cupboard. Using old bluetooth and harddock speakers until I find something better. Maybe Sonos will wake up and do a software update. My Sonos 3 will be going the same way, but more difficult to disconnect.

I live by my iPhone as I live on three floors so it is the only "controller" that is sensible to use.

If the integrity of the software Sonos provided was as good as the physical hardware then it would be great!

Yes, it's entirely and wholly Sonos fault. Has nothing to do with the iOS side of things. Blimey, blaming Apple is like committing sacrilege.
You may have heard this already, but iOS does not natively provide a way to control devices on your home network from the lock screen in iOS, the controls are only available for audio being played on the device itself. Because of this, the Sonos implementation of lock screen controls was built in a way that's no longer viable and with the launch of AirPlay 2 on Sonos.

Well, how do Spotify do it? Using Spotify connect, Spotify plays through Sonos Speakers. And you get the lockscreen controls after the Sonos 9.0 upgrade and with airplay 2 devices, like apple TV gen 4, running. Spotify is NOT playing on the device itself. You can remove spotify from memory, take the iPod to another location, even destroy it if you want, and Spotify continues playing through the Sonos Speakers. So your statement "the controls are only available for audio being played on the device itself" is incorrect. If we can have the lockscreen control when using Spotify connect with airplay enabled devices on the network, then why we have it when using the Sonos app? Perhaps the Sonos developers should ask Spotify how they do it.

I just logged into both of my Apple TVs, disabled Airplay, disabled playback controls and lock screen controls, reset my iPhone Controller, and the opened the app and the controls are back. All good but a bit of a faff.
This is an insane feature to remove. Sonos now not practical to use at all.
The decision to do this by Sonos was clearly a huge error and shows that they have lost their way. I would suspect that the ratio of customers hurt to benefitted is huge (like 10:1 or more). Why not just give us an option in the app: A. Use Airplay 2 and lose lock screen or B. Disable the "new" feature of Airplay 2 and all its excitingness and let the user use the lock screen controls (which include using hardware volume adjust). Why not do that, Sonos?

You do have that option. As Ryan from Sonos stated above, you can bring back the lock screen on Sonos by turning off AirPlay on any devices in your home that aren't Sonos devices.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
This update is terrible. Please reverse this! I have two homes fully equipped with Sonos everywhere. I need lock screen controls! And my Apple Watch controls back!
Here’s a worse fact: I have diligently disabled (by unplugging) my AirPlay devices, re-set the Sonos controller, and I STILL have no lock-screen control of the Sonos app. Would appreciate any thoughts, other than the now-universal disappointment with this update. Running iOS 11.4.1 on an iPhone X (and other devices).
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Here’s a worse fact: I have diligently disabled (by unplugging) my AirPlay devices, re-set the Sonos controller, and I STILL have no lock-screen control of the Sonos app. Would appreciate any thoughts, other than the now-universal disappointment with this update. Running iOS 11.4.1 on an iPhone X (and other devices).

After resetting the controller, did you toggle the lockscreen controls to "ON" in settings?
Yes, and toggled off and back on for good measure, relaunched the app, etc.
You should be able to see the lock screen controls if there are no non-sonos airplay devices on your network. I would double check to make sure there are no airplay speakers on your network. If that's clear, the next option I'd try would be to reinstall the Sonos app.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Yes, and toggled off and back on for good measure, relaunched the app, etc. What a mess! SONOS, you have to fix this. You knew this was going to be a big problem and even devoted an entire blog entry to explain the issue to your users. Your "fix" is not acceptable. You need to pull back on this update and rethink the user interface in light of what you are hearing. I suspect that the majority of your user base use either the lockscreen or an Apple Watch to control their music while it is playing. Nobody wants to waste time unlocking the phone, launching the app and then proceeding to control the music. Too many steps in the process. Disabling AirPlay on my AppleTV seems to have worked for me but as KMcWalter and others on this thread have indicated, the solution is not universal. And even if it were, the solution is a band-aid solution for the the time being only. We should not have to lose out in this manner, especially if we have no intention of ever using AirPlay2.

I need one clarification here: Do the older versions of the Sonos controller still work with the lockscreen? Or are those broken due to the iPhone's update to 11.4.1? This is a critical piece of the puzzle. If Apple broke the functionality via the 11.4.1 update then Sonos needs time to find a workaround. If, however, Sonos broke the functionality via their update to 9.0 which hit simultaneously, I think?, with the Apple update, then Sonos should be in a position to release a software fix ASAP with an update to the controller on iOS.

As an aside, for those of you wishing to use your Apple Watch, you could always use the "Sonobit" widget (download from teh AppStore) which works in both iOS and WatchOS. Just a recommendation as a temporary workaround until these issues get resolved.
Yes, and toggled off and back on for good measure, relaunched the app, etc. What a mess! SONOS, you have to fix this. You knew this was going to be a big problem and even devoted an entire blog entry to explain the issue to your users. Your "fix" is not acceptable. You need to pull back on this update and rethink how the user interface in light of what you are hearing.

That's not going to happen. Sonos isn't going to pull airplay 2 from customers, so that customers effected by the lock screen control are happy. And since they were aware of the issue, as you pointed out, what makes you think a better solution is possible?

I suspect that the majority of your user base use either the lockscreen or an Apple Watch to control their music while it is playing.

Well, probably 50% use android or iPhone, but of the Apple users who use their iphones for control, probably right.

Nobody wants to waste time unlocking the phone, launching the app and then proceeding to control the music. Too many steps in the process. Disabling AirPlay on my AppleTV seems to have worked for me but as KMcWalter and others on this thread have indicated, the solution is not universal.

I believe it is universal. There are some cases that are having problems still, but that doesn't mean that airplay should be taken away from all so the exception get the lock screen back...if that even resolves their issue at all.

And even if it were, the solution is a band-aid solution for the the time being only. We should not have to lose out in this manner, especially if we have no intention of ever using AirPlay2.

I wouldn't look at this as a Band-Aid. From what I understand, Apple doesn't even really support the lockscreen controls for home audio products the way android does. Sonos implementation of it was really the Band-Aid that eventually had to be removed for some scenarios.

I need one clarification here: Do the older versions of the Sonos controller still work with the lockscreen? Or are those broken due to the iPhone's update to 11.4.1? This is a critical piece of the puzzle. If Apple broke the functionality via the 11.4.1 update then Sonos needs time to find a workaround. If, however, Sonos broke the functionality via their update to 9.0 which hit simultaneously, I think?, with the Apple update, then Sonos should be in a position to release a software fix ASAP with an update to the controller on iOS.

As I understand it, it's the Sonos update, not iPhone update that broke the functionality. Again, it was done in order to accommodate airplay intentionally, so don't expect a fix. It's not a matter of meeting customer expectations, it's a matter of what is technically possible for Sonos to do.
Reinstalled the app, same result. I've disabled all the obvious Airplay devices in my household, as well as the Airplay embedded in non-Apple devices like the TV and media amp, but I suppose some could be lurking somewhere (how silly is this?). Is there a way to detect Airplay devices on a network? My net analyzer app doesn't flag them.
@KMcWalter, I believe you should see everything that's compatible when you attempt to use airplay from your phone. So for example, go to an app that uses airplay, like iTunes, play a tune, and then hit the airplay button (I forget what it looks like exactly, but I believe it's on the bottom center). Apple will pop up a list of airplay compatible speakers you could stream to. If you disable airplay on all the nonsonos devices on the list, you should get your lock screen back.

The way I understand it, each airplay compatible device is supposed to send out a beacon that your phone picks up on. That's what it uses to generate the list.