Is your music cutting out? Or are your players disappearing from the app?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

385 replies

Does it still show up as a ? (how do I make this a question...add another question mark?)

That's an indication that it hasn't gotten a valid IP address from your router. For me, all I had to do was power cycle the SUB, and it picked up the correct assigned IP address.

You may need to try unplugging it, then reboot your router, and once the router comes back up, plugging it back in. This would be the safest bet, but I'll admit I didn't do so on mine.
I thought everyone should know that I have an iMac and with the recent update (by Mac), the computer snoozes after 15 minutes unless you adjust the time in your system preferences. This was the only fix for me and it works perfectly now! Give it a try!
Oh, it's also possible that there' some wifi interference going on. Read the link, and check around your PLAYBAR and SUB for anything that might be generating interference.

Hi all,

If you’re experiencing any of the above, or your app is sluggish, then your Sonos set up may be suffering from “wireless interference”. In the video, you will see how to fix this annoying issue, and get back to listening to your favorite tunes, uninterrupted.

Feel free to let us know how to get along with the video. If you need any further assistance, we’re ready to help! :D

Please note that we also have a support article explaining how to change the wireless channel here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219

Still having problems? Grab a diagnostic and add it to your reply.

Sonos Controller App for iOS or Android
From the Sonos music menu, touch Settings > Advanced Settings menu > Submit Diagnostics.

Sonos Desktop Controller App for Mac or PC
Select Submit Diagnostics from the Help menu.

Diagnostics code: 1112429071.

We have recently been experiencing music streaming from Spotify and Apple cutting out regularly. I’ve updated the app, switched channels, unplugged all the speakers, re-booted the router and changed which unit is connected to a cat5 cable.

Radio stations streaming through TuneIn work fine.

We use Ubiquity access points for our wifi, and the hard wired device is connected to our modem through a switch. We don’t have any other issues with any of our other devices (security cameras, tv’s, etc.), and hoping to get this sorted.
Badge +1
Has anyone got this fixed yet?

I only have issue where my 5.1 setup stops working. In the middle of watching something, all of a sudden the rear play 1's drop out. The sub may also be dropping but its hard to tell.

I disagree that it’s wireless interference because it only began happening after an update. I’ve tried new channel, my playbar is in boost mode, I have even plugged in other play 1s in other rooms to Ethernet as well.

It’s so annoying to be watching a movie and suddenly you lose surround sound. I’m pretty sure not just the play1s but the sub also drops out. It makes the entire 5.1 setup a waste of money. Last time I reported a diagnostic nobody replied. Wish I could just revert my Sonos back to the update before it stopped working properly. The new app is still a struggle to navigate anyway.
Does it still show up as a ? (how do I make this a question...add another question mark?)

That's an indication that it hasn't gotten a valid IP address from your router. For me, all I had to do was power cycle the SUB, and it picked up the correct assigned IP address.

You may need to try unplugging it, then reboot your router, and once the router comes back up, plugging it back in. This would be the safest bet, but I'll admit I didn't do so on mine.

Hi Bruce,

I have tried but still to no avail. Have already switched off all my wireless devices and the Sub still doesnt want to connect. No IP conflicts as well.
Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
Just curious, how can you identify that there are no IP conflicts? None of the routers I've ever used have provided any way to present that kind of information. All they do is present the data of what is connected at the moment in time the report is generated, and never have any information about what other devices might have been connected to the same IP address over the previous X amount of time

Hopefully someone from Sonos will be along to look at that diagnostic, but if you want to hit the support folks, they're on Twitter and Facebook, the moderators here are much more community folks.
Badge +1
Yeah... Restarting all my stuff can't be the fix. I have done that already and it comes back. It's whatever was changed in the 7.4 update I think.

It drops out randomly, out of nowhere. Last night it was in the middle of watching Ozark on Netflix. Then it goes back to being fine for hours.

When I bought all my Sonos stuff I was impressed with how flawless it was compared to something like airplay. Now its dropping out the same way as Airplay used to and its depressing me. I spent a ton of money on Sonos products that worked fine until that god forsaken update.

Up next I will try the last wireless channel I haven't tried yet, but I doubt that's the issue. If it were an IP conflict, they wouldn't work at all, not just stop working whenever they felt like it. I appreciate your suggestion but it's frustrating to see the same suggestion and there's literally page and pages of threads with people having the same issue.

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
My Sonos setup (2x Play 1s, 1x Playbar & 1x Sub on Velop mesh network) has been working great for past 2 months when they were initially setup until 2 days ago, my Sub begin to entirely disconnect itself and dropped out of the group. Under "Room Settings", it will show up as "Living Room (+?+LS+RS)".

I have tried:
1. Re-adding the Sub back via the "Add a Speaker or Sub" from the app.
2. Factory reset my Sub
3. Using ethernet connection instead of wireless.
4. Changing my wireless channels etc.
5. Removing all speakers and redo the whole setup of adding my Play 1s, playbar and sub.

All of the above have failed to resolve the problem. I'm not sure if a recent update has caused this issue. I have checked my Sub and it doesn't seem to have any hardware defects going on since it can be powered on/off and able to be discovered by my iPhone Sonos controller app.

My Sonos Diagnostics number is 136702528

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for sending in the report. I can see the wireless connection between your Playbar and Sub, but your Sub does not have a valid network address. This can be due to IP conflicts, as was suggested above, or other communication issues, such as wireless interference or network congestion. It may be a good idea to set up IP reservations on your network to prevent conflicts.

I do see that there are some wireless communication errors showing up. It may be due to the secondary, unnamed network your router is creating. Both networks are running on the same wireless channel and may be making it hard for your speakers and Sub to stay in communication. Try changing your main wireless network over to channel 1 and see if that helps.
My Sonos setup (2x Play 1s, 1x Playbar & 1x Sub on Velop mesh network) has been working great for past 2 months when they were initially setup until 2 days ago, my Sub begin to entirely disconnect itself and dropped out of the group. Under "Room Settings", it will show up as "Living Room (+?+LS+RS)".

I have tried:
1. Re-adding the Sub back via the "Add a Speaker or Sub" from the app.
2. Factory reset my Sub
3. Using ethernet connection instead of wireless.
4. Changing my wireless channels etc.
5. Removing all speakers and redo the whole setup of adding my Play 1s, playbar and sub.

All of the above have failed to resolve the problem. I'm not sure if a recent update has caused this issue. I have checked my Sub and it doesn't seem to have any hardware defects going on since it can be powered on/off and able to be discovered by my iPhone Sonos controller app.

My Sonos Diagnostics number is 136702528

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for sending in the report. I can see the wireless connection between your Playbar and Sub, but your Sub does not have a valid network address. This can be due to IP conflicts, as was suggested above, or other communication issues, such as wireless interference or network congestion. It may be a good idea to set up IP reservations on your network to prevent conflicts.

I do see that there are some wireless communication errors showing up. It may be due to the secondary, unnamed network your router is creating. Both networks are running on the same wireless channel and may be making it hard for your speakers and Sub to stay in communication. Try changing your main wireless network over to channel 1 and see if that helps.

hi Jeff

Thanks for the advice. I will do the above and report my findings soon as im overseas now.
Badge
I have cutting out problems, songs rarely get to the end before skipping to the next. My system should be using the mesh network but is reporting it is using wm0, wm1 and wm2 wifi modes. Submitted diagnostic 8238201. It used to work quite well but songs are constantly skipping before they get to the end
Need help with a diagnostic. Thanks! DIAG: 8232915
I have two Sonos One's (about two months old) in one room - they are 10 feet from a brand new xfinity wireless router. Up until this week they have been great, but as of this week they are unusable - they intermittently drop connection entirely, stop playing music and won't reconnect for several minutes, they skip songs, airplay works even worse and will only connect and work about 33% of the time. I have changed nothing about them or my room, they haven't moved an inch. I have tried changing my wireless channel on my router to several different channels to no avail, Ive tried resetting them both to factory settings and setting up the room from scratch. Nothing has managed to help. I have no problem chrome casting in the living room, I have no problem streaming music through any outlet. Please help me, this investment has become a pair of paper weights.

Diagnostics report: 1177339349
Hi there

Out of two speakers we have, one is always visible in the app, the other drops out/comes back/repeat.

I've switched off the offending speaker, reconnected it, etc.

Diagnostics sent - 8245950.
This being a weekend, you're unlikely to get a Community Moderator to look at that diagnostic until Monday. If you prefer a more immediate response, I'd recommend that you contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I tend to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
IP Address conflict.

Best is to first go in and assign all your Sonos and other important network devices new IP addresses reserved in your router if you are able / know how to.

After you have done that / or if you don't know how - next shut off as many network devices as you can so as to close out the offending device that is incorrectly holding on to an ip address. Once as many network devices turned off reboot router. Turn back on network devices so they all get new fresh ip addresses.

This should solve your problems and even eliminate others you haven't noticed because of the issue.
Hit reply too quickly.

Based on the symptoms you describe, I'm going to hazard a guess that you've got some duplicate IP address issues with your speakers. I'd try unplugging them from power, then rebooting your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in your Sonos devices, and see if that makes a difference to the experience. If that does work, I'd encourage you to look in to reserving IP addresses for all of your network devices in your router's DHCP table.
Badge
I have cutting out problems, songs rarely get to the end before skipping to the next. My system should be using the mesh network but is reporting it is using wm0, wm1 and wm2 wifi modes. Submitted diagnostic 8238201. It used to work quite well but songs are constantly skipping before they get to the end
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
All your units in about my Sonos under settings should say wm:0 or wm:1. Which is it. And there is no wm:2
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@tanjie.kevin ,

Thanks for the report. Overall, the wireless environment looks okay. Wireless channel 6 may be a bit better for your Sonos system, as it's less crowded. You have a group of 11 speakers set up. This can use quite a bit of bandwidth, do you have any issues playing to smaller groups?

Right now you have a Play:3 wired into your network. It's handling the communication for all of your other speakers. It may help to wire in another unit or 2 to help balance the wireless load.

If you're still having issues, send along a new report and I'll take a look.
Badge
All your units in about my Sonos under settings should say wm:0 or wm:1. Which is it. And there is no wm:2
Badge
According to the “about my Sonos system” screen in the app 2 speakers are on “wm:2” 3 of them are on “wm:1” and the speaker that is connected via cable to the router is on “wm:0”. So according to the app there is a wm:2, screenshot attached
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
your system is completely messed up. Fist I would think there is something wrong with your bridge device. Try rebooting it. If system doesn’t adjust to wm:0 on playbar then try plugging in playbar or another speaker to router and see if they adjust.

Sorry yea the play 5 if they are setup for surround say wm:2 because they are connecting direct to playbar bonded. They should say 2. But playbar should say 1.

How far from bridge to playbar?
@tanjie.kevin ,

Thanks for the report. Overall, the wireless environment looks okay. Wireless channel 6 may be a bit better for your Sonos system, as it's less crowded. You have a group of 11 speakers set up. This can use quite a bit of bandwidth, do you have any issues playing to smaller groups?

Right now you have a Play:3 wired into your network. It's handling the communication for all of your other speakers. It may help to wire in another unit or 2 to help balance the wireless load.

If you're still having issues, send along a new report and I'll take a look.

Thanks Jeff, I’ll try hard wiring another unit. I had the same issues with fewer speakers on channel 6 as well.