Is your music cutting out? Or are your players disappearing from the app?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

385 replies

Diagnostic submitted. 709448844

Have been getting “bufffer insufficient to maintain playback” off and on for months. Have tried all kinds of fixes - using boost mode, changing wireless channel, bought a wireless booster etc - and nothing has worked. It’s extremely frustrating.

Please help!
Can't tell if my issue is sonos related or Amazon echo randomly ducking my sonos. I have 5 echo s that will duck the sonos when being used, but when I'm listening in bed at night (no one else in the house) my sonos randomly quiets. Diagnostic 8142623
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Diagnostic 748375781

Hello
I run a very small restaurant and bar ( less than 12 tables) and having significant issues with Sonos connectivity. We have two Sonos play 1.. one in bar area and one in dining area.

We have an access point in the bar area with the router on the floor upstairs. Tracks keep skipping and the second dining area Sonos keeps losing connectivity. I’ve tried tunein...Spotify...amazon...all the same. I’ve changed wireless channels and tried moving the Sonos devices around to see if that helps

I’m really at a loss as to how to resolve. The music is not smooth at all and makes for an unpleasant experience. We’ve had to resort to older less desirable options which we don’t want to do.

Please could you advise how to resolve?

Thanks

Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply. In your diagnostic report I see that your wireless access points are running on different wireless channels. This can make it hard for the Sonos speakers to stay in communication. Please try changing all of your access points over to the same channel, and make sure that it's a different wireless channel than your guest network. We recommend using channels 1, 6, and 11 as they do not overlap.
I've noticed a similar issue the last 48 hours. Usually, I've attributed this to the TV triggering one of my Echo devices, but I know for a fact last night the TV wasn't on, I was just listening to music in the kitchen. And it was instrumental, so there was no "voice" that could have said something that remotely sounded like the trigger word. Next time that happens, I'll do a diagnostic as well, but I'm guessing that the data that's necessary may not be in Sonos' files, but in Amazon's, since it's their software that's triggering the ducking feature.

Thanks for the post. I'd brushed it off last night as being a 'weird' thing. But now you've got me thinking 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sending in the report. It looks like you're streaming from an iOS device's library. You're probably running into an issue where non-Sonos Airplay devices on your network interrupt streaming from the iOS device. You can get it working by disabling Airplay on those devices, or by disabling the auto lock feature on your iOS device's settings menu under display and brightness.

Another option is to move your library from your iOS device onto a computer or NAS drive,, then setting up a music share. Doing so will allow you to play your library, using any controller without issues if you have Airplay devices active, and even if your iOS device goes offline.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I've noticed a similar issue the last 48 hours. Usually, I've attributed this to the TV triggering one of my Echo devices, but I know for a fact last night the TV wasn't on, I was just listening to music in the kitchen. And it was instrumental, so there was no "voice" that could have said something that remotely sounded like the trigger word. Next time that happens, I'll do a diagnostic as well, but I'm guessing that the data that's necessary may not be in Sonos' files, but in Amazon's, since it's their software that's triggering the ducking feature.

Thanks for the post. I'd brushed it off last night as being a 'weird' thing. But now you've got me thinking :)

Intrigued to know what "ducking" is? Not having used an Echo or similar, where does the term ducking come into it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Diagnostic submitted. 709448844

Have been getting “bufffer insufficient to maintain playback” off and on for months. Have tried all kinds of fixes - using boost mode, changing wireless channel, bought a wireless booster etc - and nothing has worked. It’s extremely frustrating.

Please help!

Thanks for sending in the report. I see that your Family Room component is getting hit with a lot of wireless interference. Take a look around the Connect to see if there are any third party electronic devices nearby which could cause interference. Common sources of interference include cordless phones, wireless baby monitors, wireless cameras, and wireless printers. Try moving away any nearby devices and see if that helps.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I have five play 5 connected to a sonos bridge which is hard wired to the router

seems to cut music more often than not thats why I had the bridge installed

should I just connect them to wifi and do away with the bridge

diagnostic number 342983582
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I think I will "wait" before introducing Alexa to our Sonos household in that case .... I can see myself getting seriously agitated if ducking were happening around me 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have five play 5 connected to a sonos bridge which is hard wired to the router

seems to cut music more often than not thats why I had the bridge installed

should I just connect them to wifi and do away with the bridge

diagnostic number 342983582

Thanks for sending in the report. Your Bridge overall has a clean signal, but your other speakers are reporting a high level of wireless noise. There are some wireless communication errors between a few of your speakers as well. If you haven't already done so, try the steps found in this guide, which help with many of the issues that can cause audio interruptions.

You might look around and in between your speakers for third party wireless electronics which could cause interference. Devices such as cordless phone bases, wireless baby monitors, wireless cameras and wireless printers all could make it hard for nearby Sonos speakers to stay in sync. Try moving away any such devices and see if things improve
Heh. In a single person household, it doesn't really bother me. But I can see the frustration that some are having with it. If I had a daughter who was chatty with Alexa, while I'm listening to music in my den, it would make me batty, too. Well, more batty than I already am.
Please help, I’m having trouble playing music via Spotify on my Sonos Play 1. It will start playing a song then stop at 15 seconds in (sometimes less) and then go on to the next song. My WiFi is working fine. It’s also up to date with updates. Any ideas?

I did a support diagnostic and my number is: 290947313.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Please help, I’m having trouble playing music via Spotify on my Sonos Play 1. It will start playing a song then stop at 15 seconds in (sometimes less) and then go on to the next song. My WiFi is working fine. It’s also up to date with updates. Any ideas?

Hi there,

Thanks for sending in the report. Your speaker is having a hard time staying connected to your wireless network due to interference from nearby networks running on the same wireless channel as your own. Try changing your router's wireless channel to 1 and see if that helps.

Hi there,

Thanks for sending in the report. Your speaker is having a hard time staying connected to your wireless network due to interference from nearby networks running on the same wireless channel as your own. Try changing your router's wireless channel to 1 and see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve changed it to 1, the songs started playing a little longer but are still skipping into the next song? New diagnostic number: 1338757870.
Userlevel 2
Hi,

I have been experiencing dropouts on my sonos system so I have changed a couple of things:
1. Adjusted the Wireless Channel for 2.4 and 5ghz for the main router - (11 and 36 respectively)
2. Moved any other wireless device (thermostat, telephone etc) away from the router
3. I have a 15Mb download so i dont think it is that

I still got some dropouts so I have now added a boost to the set-up (This is now configured for Channel 1) and all seemed fine for a few hours but then i started getting dropouts again.

Everything is updated to the latest versions, I have two play1 and a play5.

Would someone be able to take a look at the diagnostic and recommend any other actions that i might be able to take.

Diagnostic number is: 8192808

Thanks very much in anticipation :D

Chris
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. I’ve changed it to 1, the songs started playing a little longer but are still skipping into the next song? New diagnostic number: 1338757870.

Your speaker is still having a hard time keeping the communication going with your router. How far away from the router is the speaker? Can you try moving it closer? Are there any environmental factors in between the speaker and router, such as walls or cabinets?
I too have had several drop outs of Sirius and Pandora. When I connect to pandora through Sonos the station drops often when I connect using pandora app it drops after about 29 minutes. Diagnostic 8200138
I am having an issue with Play:3 continuously dropping off our network. We have 3 play:1's and and sub on the wireless network currently. The play 1's and the sub work fine on the wireless network. I have reset the play 3 and connected it via ethernet and gone through the setup multiple times adding it into the Sono controller (10.0).

Please use diagnostic number: 1861727639 . The Play 3 gets added into Controller and then I play 1 or 2 songs and then Controller responds with cannot play the next song and the room that is associated with the play 3 disappears or disconnects.

The light is white on top of the Play 3 and and the ethernet port is lighting up green and orange showing activity. The speaker was working fine before and it cannot stay connected.
Mine is still cutting out and I am not sure if it is my iMac (I also have an iPhone, iPad, Mac Air, and an iHeadache) or the Sonos system. It keeps dropping after about 4 songs. I changed to channel 11 and I modified to a compressed setting. My diagnostic number I just sent in is 8219477. I have 2 Play-3's and 2 Play-5's together with one bridge. I've never had any problems before and I sense someone may be onto something with the most recent updates. Thoughts?
Any guidance is much appreciated.
I doubt it has much to do with the recent software updates, other than an issue being exposed during the soft reboot done by the speakers at that point. Basically, in most cases at least, what's happening is that the router is losing its place in the IP assignment table. Fairly easy to rectify, you have to unplug your Sonos devices, reboot the router, and then plug the Sonos speakers back in one at a time, allowing each to have enough time to fully boot up before moving to the next.

A more permanent fix would be to go in to the router manual, and figure out how to assign reserved IP addresses to all of your Sonos devices (and might as well do everything else, while you're mucking about in there).
We have a retail store with 14' ceilings, both speakers are installed into the ceiling plugged into ceiling outlets at either end of the shop. constant cutting out and one or both speakers dropping off the menu, which is especially rough for us as we have to get on a gigantic ladder to reset. diagnostics: 810930852
I have a Sonos Beam connected to a Samsung UE40NU7120 TV by optical. Both devices are connected to my router via wi-fi. When the TV is off and I play music using Deezer, Google Play, etc. the music often cuts out. When I open the Sonos app to find out what has happened, I can see that the TV has "taken over" even though it is off. How can I stop this happening?

Diagnostic: 1314131821
Hmmm... Still doing it after about 6 songs... About 15 minutes. I noticed my iMac goes to sleep after 15 minutes. I'm adjusting that bar to "Never" to see if that makes a difference. (However, I could control music from my iPhone or iPad.
I just dug up the manual to my Asus RT-AC68U... Just trying to get it set up. So much for plug and play!
BTW... Does Sonos work with 5G? Would that make a difference?
My Sonos setup (2x Play 1s, 1x Playbar & 1x Sub on Velop mesh network) has been working great for past 2 months when they were initially setup until 2 days ago, my Sub begin to entirely disconnect itself and dropped out of the group. Under "Room Settings", it will show up as "Living Room (+?+LS+RS)".

I have tried:
1. Re-adding the Sub back via the "Add a Speaker or Sub" from the app.
2. Factory reset my Sub
3. Using ethernet connection instead of wireless.
4. Changing my wireless channels etc.
5. Removing all speakers and redo the whole setup of adding my Play 1s, playbar and sub.

All of the above have failed to resolve the problem. I'm not sure if a recent update has caused this issue. I have checked my Sub and it doesn't seem to have any hardware defects going on since it can be powered on/off and able to be discovered by my iPhone Sonos controller app.

My Sonos Diagnostics number is 136702528

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Good catch. Yes, your Mac going to sleep would cause it to stop, if you're playing music that's on your Mac's hard drive. I've actually switched over to an always on NAS. I think you can also click on the "Wake for LAN access" box, but switching it to "never" should work too.

Heh. Not sure how to answer your other question. No, it doesn't work with 5Ghz, only with 2.4Ghz. Kinda. For streaming music and connection to the wifi, that's true. There's an odd case with the PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE where they communicate with the surround speakers and SUB via 5Ghz, as it has lower latency. But you don't have access/see that connection, it just looks like a normal connection to the app.

There's been a fair share of people who post in these forums about trying to connect their systems with only a 5Ghz connection, to no avail. It's pretty plain on the instructions / product sheet, etc that it's a 2.4Ghz connection. But few of us read that stuff. I just happened to look at the Sales website yesterday to look up something else and saw it, otherwise I wouldn't have remembered that it said so. It also was in the manual that came with the used PLAY:5 gen 1 I got on Tuesday. 🙂