Answered

Group wifi settings - problems with streaming hi-res music

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

87 replies

Badge +1

Morning all. Boost has arrived and set it up as @ratty describes above and per instructions. Group in the living room all working (including the now unwired Playbase) but problem appears to still be there. When streaming Quobuz through Sonos app it skips last 8 seconds. When streaming direct from Quobuz app via AirPlay it drops intermittently. 

How do i check that the Boost is integrated/working in the system and doing what it is mean to be doing? Do I need to give it time to “settle”? Apart from the Sonos app telling me that the Boost is set up, and listing it on my devices, I cannot determine anything. Do I need to restart anything?

Just want to make sure I try everything before deciding to return the Boost. Thanks 

Badge +1

Quick question to set up with the Boost: if I do set it up on the other floor, connected directly to the router, do I understand it correctly that I then disconnect the Playbase on this floor from the Magic adapter and the run it also over WiFi? 

Badge +1

Badge +1

@Smilja  hi - thanks for the question. We dont have a Horizon Box. I will check the name of the router that we got from Vodafone (I live in Germany BTW). It is a TouchStone TG3442DE Telefonie-Gateway from Arris. 

If the Boost wasn’t working you wouldn’t be able to see the players. You can look in About My System and check that everything appears to be in order.

Now that you have an officially supported configuration, i.e. no longer dependent on the powerline connection, I suggest you take a fresh diagnostic within 10 mins of a dropout and post the number.

Badge +1

Thanks @ratty . Diagnostics 1078413567 @Corry P 

Badge +1

@ratty @Smilja  - I just found the following post on here: SONOS Compatibility with Devolo Magic 2 WIFI | Sonos Community

Does this help? I read that “To make sure that the system uses normal Wifi and not SonosNet, especially if you are in a spectrum crowded area, you must disable Wifi on all the sonos unit(s) wired to network (done in the mobile app). You know the system uses Wifi when all wireless sonos units gets an IP-adress from your DHCP. You can use the mobile app to update the wifi-network info with the sonos units, if there are issues to get the sonos to connect to the wifi.”

Does that mean I need to turn off wifi on the Playbase as it is wired? Might be going down entirely wrong path...

Badge +1

The strange thing is that it is doing what it did before, when it skips the last eight seconds of the first track, it then plays the next just from the Playbase, which is no longer wired. So why just from the Playbase? That is what I meant by not being sure anything has changed (apart from me disconnecting the Playbase from the Powerline of course)

That was a somewhat strange post.

No, if you disable the wireless on the Playbase your surrounds/Sub won’t have anything to talk to.

It’s a mystery, which only a deeper look in the full diagnostics might reveal.

Badge +1

Right - just established that :sweat_smile:

To be honest, from here I can’t see anything immediately obvious which would explain the behaviour you report. Something is choking somewhere, causing packets to be dropped. 

I suggest you do in fact submit a diagnostic after a dropout incident. Note the number and post it here.

Badge +1

How do I submit/generate a diagnostic?

How do I submit/generate a diagnostic?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141

Badge +1

@ratty @Corry P  if you would be so kind to help on my last post re. Boost set up / Playbase connection. Thanks 

Badge +1

Thanks - did that and it has given me a number 1226270626. How do I associate that to the problem I am experiencing? What happens next?

You'd disconnect the Playbase from the wired connection. 

Badge +1

Thanks again for your assistance on this (both of you). Overall really pleased with Sonos and the Quobuz stream is very impressive (in case anyone hasnt tried it yet). Missing a couple of my favourite groups, but listening to music through it is impressive. I will keep everyone update on this and hope that this thread may be of use to others. Kudos to @ratty and @Smilja  for investing their time on helping me. Thumbs up to Community life. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DerkleineEnglaender 

Your most recent diagnostics show that the CPU usage is no longer stuck at 100% on the Playbase and the internal temperatures have come down to a level I’m more happy with.

That Qobuz works without issue now certainly confirms that the Playbase was the issue, and it seems the satellites were it’s issue.

We want you to be happy with your system, so if you’re happy with it as is, then great.

If you’d like to get it working reliably in the previous configuration, I would try adding the satellites back on to the Playbase, and if it starts doing the same thing again, I recommend then removing the surrounds and Sub from the room, then factory reset the Playbase and set it up from scratch.

Badge +1

Thanks @ratty . I was reading through some forum posts about adding the Boost to an existing set up, and saw that you have previously provided advice. If I understand correctly:

- first I will  add the Boost unwired to the network, albeit on the other floor of the house and near the router.

• when it has settled, then I will disconnect the Playbase from the Ethernet on the floor where my system is and go to the other floor and connect up the Boost.
  • is that right or any any particular order to follow? 

Badge +1

Thanks Corry for your continued assistance. In terms of sound stage, and particularly hi res music listening, do I lose anything with my current set up - grouping the PB with the Sub/Play1s - versus the original PB/Sub/Play1s theater set up? Or is it purely subjective listening. 

Depending on that, I may look into resetting the PB. I guess it is the most dated device in group but I don’t fancy upgrading it (as Sonos seems to want me to do) at such a price, so hope it will serve me a for a bit longer. 

I think the controller now asks for the Boost to be wired in order to be added, so:

1. Leave the Playbase wired to its powerline adapter
  2. Wire the Boost to the router
  3. Add the Boost
  4. Unwire the Playbase
Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DerkleineEnglaender 

In terms of sound stage, and particularly hi res music listening, do I lose anything with my current set up - grouping the PB with the Sub/Play1s - versus the original PB/Sub/Play1s theater set up? Or is it purely subjective listening.

This is tricky, as it’s not only down to your personal preference but also the environment that your speakers are in. Obviously, as you’ve pointed out, you’ll lose surround sound on movies and TV. In music terms, you may actually find the Playbase now produces more bass as before it would have relegated more of this to the Sub, which it is no longer aware of. I say if you prefer it then it’s better.

Depending on that, I may look into resetting the PB. I guess it is the most dated device in group but I don’t fancy upgrading it (as Sonos seems to want me to do) at such a price, so hope it will serve me a for a bit longer. 

An upgrade really shouldn’t be necessary, unless a factory reset doesn’t help in which case we’d probably look into replacement options. Of course, a replacement wouldn’t be an upgrade. I think a factory reset may indeed resolve the issue, as it seems the issue was a runaway process - presumably due to a small piece of data somewhere in configuration file getting corrupted (at a guess).

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DerkleineEnglaender 

The diagnostic you shared above has the Boost, but the later ones don’t - have you removed it again?

The problem is that the two rooms are having trouble synchronising. I suspect the issue may be due to the Devolo device transmitting WiFi on channel 6 - the same as SonosNet, and it's close to the Playbar. Can you please try SonosNet on channel 1? Settings » System » Network » Change SonosNet Channel » 1. Please also see if you can separate the Playbar and the Devolo somewhat. Thanks.

Badge +1

Spent a good hour today with the hotline - seems like I am stuck when it comes to hi-res streaming: 

1 We tried using the Boost connected to the router - but the Boost is too far away from the Playbase and the concrete floors of the house are diminishing the data flow. Only option here would be to have the Boost wired to the router, but on the same floor as my set up, which wont work as we cannot trail a cable through the entire house.

2 We tried just using wifi (i.e. no Boost or wired Playbase), but there the dropouts for the speakers were showing that the wifi isnt strong enough

3 We tested the Playbase wired to the Magic 2 powerline but that too is causing interference/ dropouts, and the Sonos technician was having problems accessing the diagnostics never mind assessing them.

I have since reduced the quality on Quobuz to CD but same issues. Cant see what options remain but to return the Boost and stream MP3 compressed music. Unless someone here knows of a reliable way of extending wifi to such a quality that it delivers the data. The technician confirmed enough bandwidth is there coming into the house, just the pipeline for Sonos is the issue. Would a mesh network be better than Poweline? Unfortunately the wife wont allow me to take up the flooring or drill through the floor to get a cable up to the first floor :-)