Answered

Group wifi settings - problems with streaming hi-res music

Badge +1

Hello all - new to the community, and relatively new to Sonos, and I am looking for assistance. 

I have a group set-up in my living room consisting of a Playbase (connected by ethernet to a TP-Link powerline wifi adapter), a Sub (Gen 2) and two One SLs. All works perfectly with TV and streaming music Apple/Spotify etc) in standard resolution. 

I wish to stream hi-res music on this group - either Amazon HD or Quobuz - as I am impressed by the difference in audio clarity. I find that when I stream either of these services (through Sonos app), the first song plays, and then skips the last 8 seconds of the song and jumps to the next. Then, by the second or third song of the playlist, the music just comes through the Playbase (which has the ethernet connection) and the other speakers no longer play. If I skip back to the start of that particular track, then I get full surround again, but the whole problem happens again by the time of the next song.

Having read a bit on the web and in this forum, the indication is that this is due to wifi speed or settings, but I dont know what I need to change or optimise. If I check my wifi speed in the living room I get 90 Mbps download speed - which I reckon should be Ok - I also have no problem streaming Netflix HD from the same TP-Link Powerline). 

I have seen there are network settings to be made on the Sonos app that could help - but I am not sure what and how to change and would welcome any guidance on that. I also notice that if I group my living set-up with the Play:3 I have in my kitchen (which is older and therefore not S2 compatible) then the problem stops, but I am assuming that this is because the stream quality is reduced for all devices (??). 

If I stream music direct from either the Quobuz or Amazon Music HD apps (i.e. not through Sonos) then the experience is even worse with drops outs and skips on every song. Same if I download the songs. 

Sorry for the long, rambling post but I hope to have described the issue accurately. As said, I am no technophile and would welcome any simple guidance on things I can try to optimise my setup and enjoy the hi-res providers. 

Thanks

icon

Best answer by DerkleineEnglaender 21 April 2021, 19:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

87 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DerkleineEnglaender 

Sorry, I was in a meeting. 

I don’t create cases, so you won’t have an existing case in relation to this thread - just the one you started on the 24th via chat.

I’ll add some notes to that case for you.

Badge +1

I am speaking to tech now, and they are looking for a case number. He cannot find the CPU usage data either. Any way of helping him or putting you in touch with each other?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DerkleineEnglaender 

It’s maxing out on the CPU usage again, as I’m sure you guessed.

At this point, all I can do is refer you to our technical support team, and I highly recommend you tell them about this thread to save yourself some time.

Badge +1

Curious to see if a reset would allow me to go back to the 5.1 set up, I reset the PB and added back in the Sub and Satellites. Unfortunately, first track I played did the quiet 8 seconds thing, and then the second just came out of the Playbase (so back to square 1 :disappointed_relieved: ) . Diagnostics is 977567435 in case you can look into it @Corry P . Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DerkleineEnglaender 

In terms of sound stage, and particularly hi res music listening, do I lose anything with my current set up - grouping the PB with the Sub/Play1s - versus the original PB/Sub/Play1s theater set up? Or is it purely subjective listening.

This is tricky, as it’s not only down to your personal preference but also the environment that your speakers are in. Obviously, as you’ve pointed out, you’ll lose surround sound on movies and TV. In music terms, you may actually find the Playbase now produces more bass as before it would have relegated more of this to the Sub, which it is no longer aware of. I say if you prefer it then it’s better.

Depending on that, I may look into resetting the PB. I guess it is the most dated device in group but I don’t fancy upgrading it (as Sonos seems to want me to do) at such a price, so hope it will serve me a for a bit longer. 

An upgrade really shouldn’t be necessary, unless a factory reset doesn’t help in which case we’d probably look into replacement options. Of course, a replacement wouldn’t be an upgrade. I think a factory reset may indeed resolve the issue, as it seems the issue was a runaway process - presumably due to a small piece of data somewhere in configuration file getting corrupted (at a guess).

Badge +1

Thanks Corry for your continued assistance. In terms of sound stage, and particularly hi res music listening, do I lose anything with my current set up - grouping the PB with the Sub/Play1s - versus the original PB/Sub/Play1s theater set up? Or is it purely subjective listening. 

Depending on that, I may look into resetting the PB. I guess it is the most dated device in group but I don’t fancy upgrading it (as Sonos seems to want me to do) at such a price, so hope it will serve me a for a bit longer. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DerkleineEnglaender 

Your most recent diagnostics show that the CPU usage is no longer stuck at 100% on the Playbase and the internal temperatures have come down to a level I’m more happy with.

That Qobuz works without issue now certainly confirms that the Playbase was the issue, and it seems the satellites were it’s issue.

We want you to be happy with your system, so if you’re happy with it as is, then great.

If you’d like to get it working reliably in the previous configuration, I would try adding the satellites back on to the Playbase, and if it starts doing the same thing again, I recommend then removing the surrounds and Sub from the room, then factory reset the Playbase and set it up from scratch.

Badge +1

Interesting:

I set up a new „room“ (living room) as described above, pairing the Play 1s with the sub. Then streaming Quobuz at hi-res, 24 hz, and it is lossless, without skips and jumps, without having the Boost connected. Which would seem to indicate the Playbase was the blockage??

More interestingly, I have the Playbase now on its own (TV room), and for fun, added that room to the living room with the Sub/Play 1s, and now they are all streaming seamlessly, on a sound stage that feels as full as when the Playbase was driving it. Understand that this is probably not strictly 5.1, but for music that is less important and there is a nice balance in the room. 

Does any of this make sense? Diagnostics is 1745043439 in case it helps.

Badge +1

Different question/approach, which may save me some hassle and will allow me to listen to hi-res: 

• Considering Quobuz is hi-res music, and I enjoy listening to music over my Sonos more than the films, I was thinking about setting up the two Play 1s with the Sub as group. I have read the sound stage is impressive and this may prevent the skipping
  • If I understand Sonos logistics correctly, then I would set that up as a group, disconnecting the Sub from the Playbase. 
  • This would mean that when I want to watch TV, it will be with the Plyabase only right? As you cannot connect that Sub to 2 different groups? This would be a marginal loss as I find the soundfield from the PB sufficient for films.

Would that be an option to work around the issue and save me requiring the additional Boost?

Welcome your opinions @ratty @Corry P or @Smilja as contributors so far on my journey through the Sonos networks :-)

Badge +1

Reconnected the Playbase and listening to Quobuz - second song dropouts 2144520550

Badge +1

interrupt storm sounds exotic? What does that mean and what resolves it?

I’d better stop treading on official toes, but I don’t see how the Sub location should be a problem. Besides, the internal temperature looks well within bounds.

Unless it's a runaway process slugging the CPU, I’d start wondering about an interrupt storm ...

Badge +1

So to summarize: I will run just the PB (with the Boost or can I go back to wired Ethernet from the powerline) with Quobuz for an hour or so (disconnecting the Sub and Surrounds). Assuming that works (which I guess it will as that was never the issue), do I send a diagnostics after that time so you can see CPU performance? Once you have confirmed that we re-add the Sub and Surrounds? 

Sub can potentially be moved but will require some negotiation with the wife - so preferred option would be to keep it where it was.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

That’s well within bounds. The unit is spec’d to operate in 40 degrees ambient. If the CPU is throttling it suggests a hardware issue.

It’s starting to look that way, but we’d like to see what happens after a chance to cool down. A factory reset could also fix the issue if it’s not the temperature, but the CPU being maxed-out by a process (the high CPU usage could be throttling and thus less processing power, or a runaway process could be using all the normal processing power available).

It does seem that the Playbase is solely responsible for it’s internal temperature (39 degrees, in case you were worried).

That’s well within bounds. The unit is spec’d to operate in 40 degrees ambient. If the CPU is throttling it suggests a hardware issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DerkleineEnglaender 

Does this thing happen now and again? Do I therefore assume that from a data package point of view, this latest set up (with the Boost more directly under the Playbase, and Channel 1 ) has helped?

We’re still seeing a packet error rate of about 12% (12% of the time, the Boost has to re-transmit a failed packet of data) which is not ideal, but it was enough to distract me from the CPU reports and assume that was the problem. It still is a bit of a problem, but it may be one that the system can overcome so that you don’t hear dropouts. The fact that the issue you experience is the same as when the Playbase was wired, suggests that it was the CPU back then (diagnostics support this) and not the Devolo as I originally thought.

The PB is on a TV shelf, with a few cm above it (TV is not sat on it directly), so I would have thought that wont be an issue as they are designed for TVs to be place on them. Then, on the shelf below, there is the Sub. I can send a pic.

The first step I would take to try and remedy the lost packets is to move the Sub away from the Playbase - I appreciate that it’s at it’s tidiest there, but it may be the cause of the lost packets. If that’s going to be awkward, please remove the Sub from the Playbase in the app and remove power - if that increases network performance, then you can think about rearranging cables.

It does seem that the Playbase is solely responsible for it’s internal temperature (39 degrees, in case you were worried).

By the way, when you say “plug the PB back in”, do you mean add the Surrounds back in too? I guess so, so that we fully test the system.

Not yet please. We want to test if we get the same CPU usage when the Playbase is technically doing less work due to not being linked to the surrounds. Also, should we try a factory reset (don’t yet) it’s best to not have the surrounds set up (to aid setup later).

Badge +1

Hi @DerkleineEnglaender 

We looked a bit deeper into the diagnostics and we’ve come to the conclusion that the CPU of your Playbase is maxing out and cannot keep up with playing music. It’s possible that this is due to CPU throttling (performance reducing) due to the high (not dangerous, but higher than we’d like to see) temperature inside the Playbase’s case. 

Please go into the Sonos app and remove the surrounds from the Playbase (Settings » System » Family Room » Remove Surrounds), then unplug the Playbase from power for 15 minutes or so. If the Playbase is on top of (or under?) anything that might be warming it up, please move or power off that device and test things while they’re as cold as they’re going to get.

Plug the Playbase back in and test Qobuz playback long term (an hour or so, but you can stop if you hear the issue). If the issue comes back, please submit another diagnostic and reply here with the number. Thanks.

By the way, when you say “plug the PB back in”, do you mean add the Surrounds back in too? I guess so, so that we fully test the system.

Badge +1

Badge +1

Thanks again @Corry P . Interesting chain of thought, I will try and report back. Does this thing happen now and again? Do I therefore assume that from a data package point of view, this latest set up (with the Boost more directly under the Playbase, and Channel 1 ) has helped? The PB is on a TV shelf, with a few cm above it (TV is not sat on it directly), so I would have thought that wont be an issue as they are designed for TVs to be place on them. Then, on the shelf below, there is the Sub. I can send a pic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DerkleineEnglaender 

We looked a bit deeper into the diagnostics and we’ve come to the conclusion that the CPU of your Playbase is maxing out and cannot keep up with playing music. It’s possible that this is due to CPU throttling (performance reducing) due to the high (not dangerous, but higher than we’d like to see) temperature inside the Playbase’s case. 

Please go into the Sonos app and remove the surrounds from the Playbase (Settings » System » Family Room » Remove Surrounds), then unplug the Playbase from power for 15 minutes or so. If the Playbase is on top of (or under?) anything that might be warming it up, please move or power off that device and test things while they’re as cold as they’re going to get.

Plug the Playbase back in and test Qobuz playback long term (an hour or so, but you can stop if you hear the issue). If the issue comes back, please submit another diagnostic and reply here with the number. Thanks.

Badge +1

Hmmm...doesn’t seem to have helped. Still skipping and jumping speakers 349273157

Badge +1

Thanks @Corry P . What do you mean by testing each room? I had sent the diagnostics so you could perhaps see if enough data is getting through.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@DerkleineEnglaender 

That did the trick - they’re all on channel 1 now. Please test each room, then groups too.

Badge +1

Reset to channel 6, then tried 1 again (after letting it run a few minutes). Hopefully this time? 1145407878

Thanks, I will look into the former. No idea how to change the Devolo broadcast channel? Any ideas

You can go via the app you downloaded, and touch the Magic WiFi adapter. For the settings it should open a browser page on the WiFi unit. 

I have a slight suspicion that Devolo defaults to a 40MHz channel width for 2.4GHz. Whilst you’re in the WiFi settings put it on 20MHz only.