Answered

Group wifi settings - problems with streaming hi-res music

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

87 replies

Badge +1

All are showing WM:0 apart from the Move that is showing WM:1

Can you please look in Settings/System/About My System. Are all the devices showing “WM:0”?

Badge +1

Daft question, but how do I establish what data is showing? I have done a speedtest from my phone. I am not sure to understand what you mean by old-style HomePlug adapters, but my set up is as “clean” as instructuted in the Magic set-up: one is downstairs in a plug socket and connected to router. The other is also directly in a plug socket, with an ethernet connection to the Playbase. As mentioned, this is how I run Netflx/Amazon Prime HD too - and can watch 4K programmes without buffer which would appear to indicate a strong feed.

Are there any specific settings I should be considering on the Sonos app? you mentioned Sonosnet being switched off?

Since it’s Devolo Magic, roughly what raw data rate does their app show for the connection from the router? We might as well try and eliminate that from suspicion. (By the way, it’s not advisable to use Devolo Magic on the same circuit as old-style HomePlug adapters.)

Badge +1

Sorry, sorry...getting confused in my answers. Sub is not wired, just the Playbase. An that is wired to a Delovo powerline (I thought it was TP-Link but I checked and it is indeed a Devolo Magic). Sorry for the confusion...

Ah. 

You say the Sub is connected to a Devolo powerline? As well as the Playbase wired to a TP-Link powerline? Disconnect the Sub’s Ethernet immediately. 

Badge +1

Cheers Ratty again - glad to provide more detail. 

Yes, I would use Airplay (or the Amazon app equivalent) to stream the local songs, so in fact you are right. I just imagined it maybe places less “strain” on the network playing from a downloaded source. May be irrelevant.

The wifi set up is a good question. Our internet service actually comes in downstairs, where the main router is, while the Sonos set up is upstairs. To strengthen and extend the wifi I have a Devolo Magic Wifi extender that runs via the mains electric. Upstairs, I have the Sub connected to the Devolo Magic plug adapter via ethernet cable. I also have my TV connected in a similar way to run Netflix, and that works in HD without buffering, so no issues with speed. 

It is strange that it seems to work when the Play:3 is added, I assumed it was because the streaming quality was possibly reduced from hi-res to CD, for instance, due to the older Play:3 being added. It is an OK workaround I guess, but a bit frustrating as I dont always want the kitchen to have music just so I can listen in the living room (or maybe I should say the wife ;-)). 

When you say the other way around, would that mean unchecking all speakers and then checking the Play:3 first, letting it run and the adding in the living room set-up later?

That’s a fair comment, but the behaviour isn’t quite accounted for by powerline glitches.

For the most part they’ll tend to work if only used for the internet connection to the system. It’s when they’re internal to the system that one’s inviting trouble.

On a side note: Powerline adapters are not supported, so one can assume that the TP-Link Wifi adapter the Playbase is being wired to might be the initiating cause of the issues.

Unsupported network setups and devices

• Wireless internet connections such as satellite, mobile hotspots, or LTE routers
  • Guest networks or networks that use a portal login page
  • Networks using wireless range extenders 2
  • Ethernet over Power (EOP) devices
  • WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126?language=en_US

Thanks for the detail.

Right, last point first are you using Airplay to play the downloaded songs on your phone to your Sonos? This does require WiFi.

And is the only WiFi in your home coming from your router? You don’t have any WiFi extenders?

It seems a little strange that all the problems go away when the kitchen Play:3 is added to the Playbase (which should be the correct way round as the latter is wired). What happens if you start from the Play:3 and add the Playbase?

Badge +1

Thanks ratty for the first questions and clarifications. The Ones are indeed bonded to the Playbase as surround speakers. The Playbase is the only “wired” device. I dont believe I have disable the wifi - Sonosnet on any of the devices (actually I am not sure :-) as I havent done anything with those settings - please let me know what and how to do).

Usually I start with my living room group (with the Playbase/SuB/Sonos 1s) and then add in the Play:3 in the kitchen. Strangely enough, when I do that, it all seems to work consistently without drops/skips. When you say choice of starting room affects the way traffic flows, what is the best order?

With regard to the Quobuz/Amazon apps, yes I do them from my phone (iPhone 12) and use the Connect a device option to choose speaker directly. The phone is connected to same wifi network as the other devices - not sure how to check which frequency or band - I have made no changes. 

Finally, what I mean is that I have downloaded songs locally to my phone via the app - so that I dont require wifi to stream. But the problems with the drop outs and disconnection from the speak group happens in this instance too..which makes me think that it has something to do with how my group of speakers connect with each other when listening to hi-res. 

Thanks for your assistance on this, would be very grateful to resolve it..

Let’s clear up a few points/queries. First all your system, including the Play:3, is S2 compatible.

Next, are your Ones bonded to the Playbase as surround speakers? Is the Playbase the only wired Sonos component? Have you disabled the ‘WiFi’ (SonosNet) on any of your devices?

When you group with the Play:3 which room do you start from, before adding the other(s)? The choice of the starting room affects the way the local network traffic flows.

When you speak of streaming directly to the Qobuz or Amazon apps being problematic do you do this on your phone? If so what’s the phone connected to at the time (which WiFi, which frequency band)? Please clarify the comment about having problems even with downloaded songs; they should be playing off the phone itself.