Using a Turntable with Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

237 replies

Hello everyone!

Thanks a lot for all of your messages. 

I want to connect my mk2 technics turntable (without preamp) to my son's play 1s

I have been advice to buy a Sonos, I received it yesterday. 

I have a amplifier pioneer vsx921 for my TV, can I use this one to get music from turntable to my Sonos speakers?

What kinfof connections do I need to do on amplifier, and Sonos port?

I tried to simply connect mk2 on rca in of Sonos port and I can get sound on play 1 but the sound is very very very very low even if I put at maximum sound level... 

I am completely lost here :(

Can someone help me please? 

Thanks a lot and happy new year!

Francis 

I recently bought the Pro-ject Essential III and 2x Play 5 speakers direct from Sonos and (tried to) set everything up over the weekend. The turntable set-up was a bit fiddly, but I got there in the end. I had the same issue with sound level when I first played vinyl - it was barely audible - which is when I stumbled up on this thread. I cranked up the line-in voltage to level 10, and the sound is a little better, but still well below a level at which I would want to listen to anything. Does anyone know what the issue might be? I did wonder if I needed a pre-amp or an amp, but according to Sonos the Essential III has a pre-amp and Play 5s have an inbuilt amp. I've been stockpiling vinyl over the last couple of months and was very excited to start listening to it, but as it stands I have no motivation to use either the turntable or the Play 5s. Hoping this isn't $1300 down the drain and i'm just missing something really small and silly.....
Ignore me. I know what the issue is....

The only other option I can find is something under hardware called “touch controls.” Sounds like that Should be it, but it doesn’t do anything :(

Yes, you will need those touch controls enabled for the Connect.. and as you adjust the buttons on the device you should see the 'variable' audio volume change within the 'now playing' screen, when the line-in audio source is selected in the ‘Browse Tab’ and you have chosen the playing Sonos room from the ‘Rooms Tab’ in the Sonos App.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
@davidpaterson99 Now you got me curious…..
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi. 

I am kind of lost and I.cannot figure out which level I should use. 

i have a Technics SL-1200 MKII

https://www.technics.com/global/sl1200/heritage/#product3

which is connected to a Pro-Ject Phono Box USB V

https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/phono-box-usb-v/

which is connected to a Play 5 through the 3.5 line in. 

In the technical specification of my preamp I don’t see any output voltage that fits Sonos level recommendation. 

What would you recommend?

Thanks for your help. 
Bruno

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

advice please! I am looking to buy a Audio Technica AT-LP120 turntable with built in preamp ... I have a playbar, subwoofer and two Play 1s, all via the Sonos Bridge .. .is there a way to hook the turntable up to my set up, without paying £350 for a Connect? can I not connect the turntable to the Bridge? thanks for any advice!No, you'll need a Sonos device with Line-In capability which means getting a CONNECT, a PLAY:5, or a CONNECT:AMP.

Yes, there is a way. I wrote this instructable describing how to do it using a Raspberry Pi...
https://www.instructables.com/id/Add-Aux-to-Sonos-Using-Raspberry-Pi/

I have set up my vintage record player and amp with a Sonos Connect. I’ve finally managed to get some sound coming out of my Sonos speakers but it’s very quiet. Do I need a preamp as well? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Kumar Thank you for your prompt response.

I was starting to get into conversion table Vms to V to try to get the right data. 😊

This sentence scared me a little bit “The Line-In Source Level is extremely important,” Because I thought there was a technical risk  

Finally I set it up to 10. Thanks again. 

For my living room setup, I have a Beam, a Sub, and 2 Sonos One speakers. I’d like to set up a turntable. Is there any way to use the Ones, either with an Amp or a Port + one of the turntables Sonos sells? Or do I need the Play 5 speaker?

It’s an old Rotel record player. I’ll double check to see if it has a switch. Haven’t noticed one though. May have to purchase a pre amp. Thank you.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Kumar 

”I have set mine at 10 in both places I use Line In to have sound levels maintained at about the same volume level setting regardless of which source is in use - Line in or Wireless.”

I don’t understand the set to 10 for Wireless. I did not found anywhere in the the settings an option for Wireless level. In fact just for Play 5 and for LineIn. 

Can you specify the location of this setting? Thanks. 

There is no setting for Wireless sources; that is why it is necessary to select the Line In level so that the same volume control setting on Sonos gives, as far as possible, the same sound levels when the source changes between Line In and Wireless.

By “both places” I meant the two rooms in the house where I use Line In as a source.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks for the explication. 

Hi everyone, I’m new to this community.

As I’m getting really into vinyl, both vintage and new (something I never thought I’d ever be again), I've bought a Pro-Ject Debut Recordmaster with a built-in pre amp (plus USB). I have two Sonos Ones and a Beam.

I’m looking at the different ways of integrating my turntable into the Sonos ecosystem (and have major sticker shock!), so thinking of the cheaper solution, which is the Port. Will this give me a decent quality? 

Hoping for some good Black Friday deals! 

Just bought PLAY 5 today and a turntable (The Denon DP-26F) which claims to have a built-in RIAA equaliser amplifier. Is that different from a preamp? Is that why I'm not getting any sound? The Play 5 is working, that's no drama, the turntable is spinning, all good. No sound. Bummer. Any advice? Thanks.
Is there a switch on the TT that turns the preamp on? Under the platter perhaps?
That is what the RIAA thing is - to boost and equalise the signal from the cartridge.
Thanks Kurman, I did see that switch and have tried on and off, sadly no change.
Hahah - yes not my finest brightest audio moment. I was wondering why the needle slid a little way across the LP. Ha!
Any difference would arise from kit that is downstream of the Connect - almost entirely from the speakers employed and where they are placed compared to the 5 unit/s.
Any difference would arise from kit that is downstream of the Connect - almost entirely from the speakers employed and where they are placed compared to the 5 unit/s.

I've got a stereo pair of play5s with a sub. Curious how using a Connect for line in from turntable preamp would compare to using the line in built into the play5. Better DAC on connect?
Thanks! Yes, these are current gen 5s.

Thanks for the info, the turntable works great. Although the sound is good the volume on its highest is only about 40% of the volume when streaming. Is this normal and is there anything I can do to improve. I have a Audio Technica ATLP5X so a decent TT/pre-amp

In that case, as long as they, and Sub, remain in working condition, there will never be any need to change to get better sound quality. So long as you don't get carried away by the audiophile Kool Aid.
Make sure the ground lead from the turntable is connected securely to either the receiver or the preamp.

I have no experience of TTs with built in preamps - is the grounding always done internally in these and therefore nothing needs to be done except run the wire to the line in jack on the Sonos unit?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Make sure the ground lead from the turntable is connected securely to either the receiver or the preamp.

I have no experience of TTs with built in preamps - is the grounding always done internally in these and therefore nothing needs to be done except run the wire to the line in jack on the Sonos unit?

Hey Kumar,

That all depends on the manufacture of the turntable. There are some turntables that still include a grounding terminal whereas some do not as they are internally grounded.