Using a Turntable with Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

237 replies

You may need to adjust the settings for the line in. See the FAQ for more details. 

There are some turntables that still include a grounding terminal .

How is this to be used then, when these are wired directly to a Sonos line in?
Hi Kumar

If the Turntable doesn't have a built in Preamp, in order to connect it to the line in the turntable would need to be connected to an external Preamp, then the output of the external Premap connected to the line in of the Sonos component. Most of the time if the turntable has a built in Preamp it will have internal grounding, whereas when there is no built in Preamp then the turntable would be grounded externally, so external Pre Amp's have grounding terminals see here for a bit more on Preamps and grounding etc.

ive just bought a port to join it up with a beam and surround system … seems like it doesn't work with a beam setup ???? 

is there anyway to connect my deck with the main system or is not just not possible ???

Most of the time if the turntable has a built in Preamp it will have internal grounding
Matt, my question is how to ground the turntable for the times it has a built in preamp, but not internal grounding - I ask the question because you have said " most of time" in the quote above.

I would not ask the question if you were to clarify that with a built in preamp, internal grounding is always done.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Selected It should work. You connect the Port to your source and group it with the Beam.

In the Sonos app you can also choose to let it play to the Beam automatically.

Hi Kumar

From a technical point of view if a turntable has a built in pre amp it should have internal grounding, otherwise the preamp isn't grounded and it needs to be. I guess it's possible to have an internal preamp and an external grounding cable on a turntable, it just wouldn't make much sense as the built in pre amp is to allow you to connect to components that don't necessarily have grounding terminals.

how do you group the Port with the beam … I dont seem to have that option 

Fair enough; I suppose it would then be a reasonable assumption to make that if a TT with a built in preamp has no leads hanging out of it other than stereo RCA ones or sockets for these, internal grounding has been done.
Another question with respect to the many bluetooth TTs I see these days. Hanging a small BT receiver from the line in jack of a 5 unit seems to be easy and cheap as well, and eliminates wires and/or the need to place the TT close to a 5 unit.

One can then have the TT in a safe corner and a 5 unit/5 pair placed for best sound quality, some where else in the room, if necessary/convenient.

Any reason this should not give good and reliable results? With no handheld device in the frame for the BT, stability should not be an issue?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi Kumar,

Using a small Bluetooth Turntable is definitely a solid alternative to the traditional Turntable setup. The Bluetooth connection could lead to some wireless interference, but keeping the turntable at least 3 feet away from the PLAY:5 and should help minimize that. In addition, if there is no handheld in the picture it will definitely help reduce the chance of wireless interference.
Right, thanks for that Omar. It will also avoid the all too common issues with phono preamps. I am no longer into vinyl, but that is how I would do it for a neat, modern, and yet legacy flavoured set up with visible engineering of the kind that went away ever since CDPs were invented and adopted.
Badge
Glad this thread exists. It sounds like it's better to compress the phono line-in signal to minimize drop outs. I've noticed a ton of drop outs when listening to vinyl through my gen 2 play:5 line-in feeding into the rest of the livingroom setup of playbar, sub, and 2 play:1s. I also have the wireless signal set to be uncompressed. Does that make a difference?

I currently have a cheapo Pyle pre-amp connected to my Technics MK-D3 turntable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00025742A) - would there be a noticeable sound difference if I replaced the Pyle pre-amp with something more substantial like a tube amp? (Looking at this one. A major driver for this upgrade is not only a warmer, nicer sound hopefully but also the option to plug in and listen via headphones and keeping the listening experience purely analog - https://www.amazon.com/Little-Dot-MKII-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QMAI2)

Thanks for any thoughts you might have!
Badge

Drop outs detract from the listening experience to the extent that suffering a slightly lower sound quality is much preferable. That said, I don't know anyone that has confidently picked out the difference in a blind test. But before using this option, try the Airplay trick mentioned earlier in this thread.
As long as the Pyle is working, it will do all that is needed. Tube amps meet the needs for eye candy, more often than not. Missing features are a different thing; but the headphone feature may well be available on cheaper devices.

Thanks for your insights Kumar. I've tried the Airplay trick and only had one instance of dropout in about 2 hours of listening to vinyls which is a much better track record than before. I think you're right regarding tube amps looking cooler than making a difference in sound quality especially when playing back out to a wireless sound system like Sonos. I'll stick with the trusty Pyle pre-amp as it's worked for me flawlessly. I also read that the tube amp I linked to would still require a pre-amp so it might not even work for what I wanted to accomplish anyways!
I've tried the Airplay trick and only had one instance of dropout in about 2 hours of listening to vinyls which is a much better track record than before.
That is still too much! What happens in compressed mode?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hey Ricky_3 - I'm glad you've found this topic and that it's been helpful so far. I thought I would jump in too and share my own thoughts. I've done a lot of testing at home and found that, for my ears, I don't hear a difference when setting Line-in from uncompressed to compressed. As mentioned above I've also tried the Airplay trick and had some success, but there was still a drop here and there. Since I don't hear a clear different with the line-in compression I leave it set to compressed at all times and don't have any drops.
So I have turntable wired to a stereo receiver acting as a preamp, and a line out connection to the analog input on a Sonos connect, which allows me to play the turntable audio wirelessly on my Playbar. In both "fixed" and "variable" settings I can only control the audio volume in the Sonos app and on the volume rocker on the Playbar, but not the connect or the receiver.

Is there a way to control the volume from the receiver, or at least the Connect? I'm guessing that because I'm only using the preamp in the receiver that the volume knob won't work... Also, in this setup, what exactly is the difference between the "fixed" and "variable" setting?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And if you follow these steps: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3391?language=en_US?

I think Sonos is really just consumer level garbage that cant handle an uncompressed "Audiofile" grade signal. Absolutely worthless if you are serious about the quality of your records.

Your audio receiver may have a phono input, which means you can wire the turntable directly to the receiver. To pass the analog signal along to Sonos the receiver should have a Tape/CD Out, Rec Out, or Zone 2 Out. (Note: additional configuration may be required to trigger the audio output on the receiver)

Has anyone tried this: input a turntable into Phono preamp on a receiver, then route the Rec/Tape Out to Sonos Connect, then back again into the Receiver?

As receivers will require you to select the input (eg Phono or Aux) how would the Phono preamp work if the receiver source is selected to Aux (so that to play what is coming out of Sonos Connect)?

Badge +2
Happy to find this thread ... I have 2x Play 5 G2, 2x Play 1 and 1x Play 5 G1 ..... I also have Technics 1200 MK2 turntable ... I believe they have built in Pre-Amp, also built in RCA and ground wire .... so if I connect the TT to one of the Play 5 G2 ... the album will play across ALL my Sonos system? ... or it will only play on that one Play 5?

yep followed those steps and I dont have the “groups” in the settings menu in the app … I have just updated the app 

I have added the Port into its own group but I have had no success in getting the technics deck to play through the main system 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just to be sure. When you choose the Port in the Sonos app, you do not have the option I’ve circled in the picture above?

Or the option I’ve circled in this picture in the settings for the Port (these are the settings for my Connect, they are in Dutch, my native language):

I do not completely understand what you are trying to achieve here.  

I'd say you'd connect the turntable to the Phono in on the receiver. The Sonos Connect can be wired to the Tape-in (for input from Sonos, say Spotify) and the Tape-out on the receiver (so any sound out of the receiver, i.e. turntable, tuner, and anything that's connnected to the Aux input) will go into the Sonios system.

When you want to hear music from your turntable your receiver would be set to Phono. Than you'd hear the music on the speakers connected to your receiver and the Tape out brings the sound to Sonos - so you can listen to the music playing from your turntable on other Sonos speakers.

yes you got it...its not so complicated but somewhat I started making things more difficult. Indeed, to listen to records will use phono and the tape out will send the signal to the remaining of sonos speakers!! thanks for the light!

Hi there 

I have a home cinema with a Sonos Beam, Sub and two Sonos One speakers. Is it possible to connect a turntable to the soundsystem and if yes, how?  

Best wishes 

Luke