Using a Turntable with Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

237 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I currently have my Technics SL-1200MK4 connected to my Mies i100 pre-amp which is connected to both my Sonos Connect & my AirPort Express. The Connect is tied into my SonosNet through the BOOST. This allows me stream my vinyl through Sonos while also having the ability to AirPlay to Sonos without having my TV on which is connected to AppleTV.
Fixes for common problems:

Setting the line-in audio compression from auto to compressed can help with audio interruptions when there are multiple players grouped together.

Don't forget the often overlooked trick of setting the Line-In source to 'Airplay Device', thereby increasing the buffering from ~70ms to ~500ms whilst leaving the stream Uncompressed.

The name can be over-typed with something more meaningful afterwards.

OK why doesnt someone ACTUALLY EXPLAIN how the heck to do this?
Actually, anyone that understands the sound quality limitations of even 180gm vinyl has moved on to digital audio a long time ago.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I do not completely understand what you are trying to achieve here.  

I'd say you'd connect the turntable to the Phono in on the receiver. The Sonos Connect can be wired to the Tape-in (for input from Sonos, say Spotify) and the Tape-out on the receiver (so any sound out of the receiver, i.e. turntable, tuner, and anything that's connnected to the Aux input) will go into the Sonios system.

When you want to hear music from your turntable your receiver would be set to Phono. Than you'd hear the music on the speakers connected to your receiver and the Tape out brings the sound to Sonos - so you can listen to the music playing from your turntable on other Sonos speakers.

The line-in can be used as a source on any and all other Sonos devices.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Happy to find this thread ... I have 2x Play 5 G2, 2x Play 1 and 1x Play 5 G1 ..... I also have Technics 1200 MK2 turntable ... I believe they have built in Pre-Amp, also built in RCA and ground wire .... so if I connect the TT to one of the Play 5 G2 ... the album will play across ALL my Sonos system? ... or it will only play on that one Play 5?

To expand on what jgatie confirmed, it will do both. You can set up the Line-in so that it will autoplay to just the PLAY:5 that's connected to the turntable. You can then group all other rooms with that PLAY:5 in order to have the turntable audio throughout the rest of the house. Conversely, if you keep everything in your household grouped at all times, you can use the "Include Grouped Rooms" option so that the PLAY:5 is not automatically removed from the group when the autoplay feature kicks in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you need a pre-amp depends on you turntable. Low volume from the turntable is a sign you could need one. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3548?language=en_US

You’d need to add a Sonos device with an analog input that you could connect your per-amped turntable to. Currently, the Sonos PLAY:5, the Port, and the Amp have one. Once the signal gets in to the Sonos ecosystem, you can play it on any of your Sonos speakers. 

I haven't come across it yet with a new turntable and its factory-fitted cartridge, but there's always a first time. I have seen it where people have tried to swap a cartridge themselves and got muddled. I have also heard of one cartridge manufacturer getting the wiring wrong during production.

Check all the rest of our wiring first , but if it's all good and vocals are still recessed on just the turntable then it's worth investigating the phase of the wiring further.

You were right, it's the turntable. Wiring is defective and it's being returned. Many many thanks for your help and response and also thanks Andy B, appreciate your help as well! It's just the worst not knowing what the h*ll is wrong so you can fix it but TT is getting replaced and soon I'll be able to enjoy my vinyl again on the Sonos 🙂.
I don't think you are actually in stereo. You have to "pair" the two PLAY:5s in the Sonos app. It's really not clear that you've done this, and this would explain the behavior your seeing. Once they're set up as a stereo pair, then the line in on either of them would play on both of them, as well as the rest of the house. Based on your description, you've got them both playing from an individual line -in, and consequently getting a stereo signal by using two mono speakers. But then you're grouping (I think) one of the two speakers with the rest of your speakers, and getting that one signal.

It's useful to me to separate the concept of the Line-In from the speaker, since they really are only tangentially related.

Effectively, you should have a stereo RCA cable from the pre-amp that goes to a single headphone (3.5mm) end, and that gets plugged in to one of the two PLAY:5s (doesn't really matter which one). Then the Line-in is sending a stereo signal from the Pre-Amp (and hence from your turntable) to the Sonos ecosystem. You then tell the room that contains the stereo paired (you do that in the app, not grouping, but actual stereo pairing) PLAY:5s to play what's coming in on the line-in. And once you've got that happening (and play a record that has good stereo effects, to be sure that the speakers really are playing left and right), then you can group other rooms. The other rooms will play either a mono (L+R) signal if they're single speakers, or if they're stereo paired speakers, they'll play just like the PLAY:5s
All is well with the world!

I think I still see my Linn Sondek, Cyrus component amps and power supplies hooked up to my beloved Sonus Fabers as a superior beast, I must admit to definitely being a convert to this Sonos malarkey. In terms of house coverage, ease of use, and pretty damn good sound, I really am starting to like it.

I will always retain my passion for the sheer ritual of protecting, caring for and playing my vinyl albums (as well as loving album artwork and sleeve notes), but my days of dismissing the Sonos revolution are now gone forever. Both concepts have their place, and biggest surprise of all for me is that they aren't mutually exclusive. Exciting times!

Happy for you and the tag team of Bruce + Kumar wins again:-).

At some time convenient, replace the cable that has things like splitters etc with the simple and standard 2 into 1 multi jack RCA cable - even good enough ones are no longer expensive.

I understand your notions of superiority - been there, done that. But I suspect that they largely stem from the sound signature of the Sonus Fabers. I found them a little thick with their sound delivery, but that is a personal noting while admitting that Italians make fine cabinetry, any of their speakers look very classy, and that always influences perceptions of sound quality. And they are built to last. Try once to feed them with streamed music via the Cyrus kit using even the USD 35 Chromecast audio as a source, and you will understand what I am saying. If you like what you hear, consider adding the USD 350 Connect as a streaming source to the Cyrus. It will sound the same as the Chromecast, but usability is better because of the buttons on the box and the way it will integrate with the other Sonos kit you have. The risk you run is reduced use of the TT thereafter!

That said, there is no denying the pleasure in the vinyl rituals - pipe smoking versus streamed cigarettes! I just got tired of the ritual and sold my TT. I did not have a huge/rare vinyl collection, so there wasn't that reason to hold on to it. But the Sondek is a fine product with the fine visual engineering that is missing in digital kit like CDP players and Sonos, so it is worth cherishing if it floats your boat.
The home cinema isn't a good idea - the processing involved in the Onkyo downstream of the Connect may leave the music from the eggs out of sync with the rest of your Sonos speakers, unless you turn the amp to stereo or direct mode, defeating the use of all eggs because only two will then play.

Why don't you just try it with the Cyrus + stereo pair Fabers? Worried about the consequent fate of the Linn?!

And a Connect can just as easily be a source to any valve amp, so long as the amp works! Digital audio source + the magic glow of tubes and their warm liquid sound - I haven't forgotten the jargon, you will note.

And to Bruce: having done the audiophile thing - power supplies, colourful and thick cables and all - for a decade before getting tired of the hobby, to my ears my play 1 pair + Sub sounds as good as any audiophile set up I have known for up to twice the price of the former. And I have known audiophile set ups that cost more than that which did not sound as good.
My living room setup. A vintage Sony PS-X65 turntable nicely matches the QUAD ESL-63 electrostatics in appearance, and is a great performer. An antique Chinese cabinet holds a small phono preamp and a Sonos Connect:Amp, which powers the QUADs with sufficient power for the Jazz I listen to. The Sonos is set up to auto-detect a signal on line-in, so playing a record is painlessly simple. An Echo across the room now serves as the voice portal for streaming content. I can’t imagine a better, simpler setup.

I have one of the great tuners, the Kenwood Supreme 600T, with an 8-gang front end (the average FM tuner has 3 gangs), and a couple of the amazing little Sony XDR-F1HD DSP tuners, but sadly, there’s just not enough quality FM content available anymore to bother with. The big Kenny tuna has a deviation meter, which shows how much dynamic range compression the station is using. With virtually all commercial stations, the meter stays static, at maximum output; the loudness wars have determined that all content must be played as loud as possible, with almost zero dynamic range. The meter fluctuates wildly on the listener supported stations, but sadly, the music content has been moved to their HD2 channel, with lower fidelity than a 128K mp3 stream. So, even though the little Sony tuna can play it, it’s just not worthwhile vs TuneIn.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'm looking to setup my turntable remotely. I do not want to use songs as an amp, I already have a great amp and a multi-room setup. I merely want move my turntable to my living room (for convenience) while leaving the rest of my setup in the basement. Am I correct in assuming the following setup: Turntable > Pre-amp > Sonos Connect > wirelessly transmits to second Sonos Connect > Receiver.

If you want to save a little money you may want to check out this Instructable I wrote describing how to set up a Raspberry Pi as a line-in for Sonos: https://www.instructables.com/id/Add-Aux-to-Sonos-Using-Raspberry-Pi/ Cheaper than buying a Sonos Connect 😃
A Connect would be sufficient. You will need a phono preamp, either built into the turntable, or a separate unit.
Good afternoon all. I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some advice/assistance. Currently I have a playbar, sub and two play:1 (all in my living room). My girlfriend is moving into my flat and is bringing her record collection with her. She doesn't have a turntable or anything. We would like to be able to play her records through Sonos but I know at present I haven't got any input that allows it. I know a Play:5 would plug into a turntable but to be honest I am not sure where this would fit in my living room. Would it be possible/a good idea to have a connect or a connect amp and a half decent turntable hooked up to the existing setup? I really do not have a clue about these sorts of things. I bought a Sonos system without really thinking I would ever have an extensive record collection! Thanks in advance all.

Unless you decide to set the turntable up in another room (where a Play:5 would compliment it nicely), sounds like the Connect would be the most affordable option here. Just make sure you purchase a turntable with a built in pre-amp.

I’m going to guess that “sounds is extremely coming” to be perhaps “quiet”?

I’d be looking at turning on the pre-amp if there is one on that turntable (from Phono to Line), and if there isn’t, adding an external pre-amp to get the phono level output from the turntable to a line level output, which is what the Sonos is expecting.

Just as a note, some turntables “hide” that switch under the platter, they’re not always on the back of the device. 

That depends. There are certainly cheap turntables without pre-amps, expensive turntables with pre-amps, and separate pre-amps priced from under $20 to hundreds of dollars (and boutique "audiophile" mostly snake oil ones for many thousands).

With a mechanical element like a turntable, I would concentrate more on the mechanicals - the stylus and an accurate, wobble free table - than I would on the electronics. Phono pre-amps are pretty simple pieces of circuitry, and finding a $100+ unit that can outperform a $20 or built-in unit in a level matched double blind test would likely be impossible, given the electronics used are basically commodity items.

Yes for not needing to remove the plug, but no, you’ll still need to switch from the line in to streaming in the app. It doesn’t happen automatically. 

If i buy the Sonos PLAY:5 to play my Vinyl player via the line-in, can I connect other Sono speakers and the sonos sub to the network so the Vinyl player can play through more than one speaker at once? And additionally how would I then also connect the TV to this setup. The Vinyl player and Sonos PLAY:5 will be on my work desk, whereas all the other speaks will be in the sitting room, hope this isn't too convoluted. thanks
To the first, yes, even if the 5 itself is left silent. See the first few posts on this thread on how to use the Line In feature. You will need a phono pre amp between the record player and the 5 though, and some players have one built in.

The TV would need to use the same line in jack on the 5, so you will have to plug/unplug the two incoming wires or get a switcher that allows both to be connected to one jack.

Yes, a turntable to pre-amp to Sonos analog input directly will work. And the quality would be the same on any analog input, be it a PLAY:5, Amp or Port. 

If you have only Sonos speakers, a Port is all you need; the Amp is a waste. If one of your Sonos speakers is a 5 that has a line in and can be conveniently wired back to the turntable, even the Port isn't needed. 

Read the opening posts of this sticky for more if needed.

Issue solved, FYI: For anyone who was following my support question, using line in on my Connect, I have been working with support and we have discovered that the culprit is actually my office WiFi router system, which uses devices on which the default setting is usually set in a way that disrupts the stream mid-device. See the issue and workaround below; when I moved the system to a different network the issue was resolved.

Problem: Ruckus WAPs by default convert incoming broadcast and multicast traffic to unicast.
Affected models: All Ruckus APs.
Background:
This feature causes Group Cast Error conditions and can prevent the Multicast Forwarding DB from being populated.
This feature is turned on for each SSID until the client count reaches 5. This feature gets disabled automatically once a 6th client joins the SSID.
Workaround: Switch to SonosNET

I’m going to guess that “sounds is extremely coming” to be perhaps “quiet”?

I’d be looking at turning on the pre-amp if there is one on that turntable (from Phono to Line), and if there isn’t, adding an external pre-amp to get the phono level output from the turntable to a line level output, which is what the Sonos is expecting.

Just as a note, some turntables “hide” that switch under the platter, they’re not always on the back of the device. 

Thanks mate … Yes, the sound coming out is quite low ! ;) 
Just ordered a Phono Pre-Amp that will be connected to the turntable and the Sonos Amp. 
Thanks for the feedback