Using a Turntable with Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

237 replies

What do you mean by missing tracks - this can be easily seen on a visible turntable platter: Do some songs not play at all from beginning to their end while the needle continues to move in the groove?
As to hearing only some content, it sounds like only one channel works. Are you using the correct cable from preamp to play 5, one with a single but stereo jack at the 5 end?

I haven't come across it yet with a new turntable and its factory-fitted cartridge, but there's always a first time. I have seen it where people have tried to swap a cartridge themselves and got muddled. I have also heard of one cartridge manufacturer getting the wiring wrong during production.

Check all the rest of our wiring first , but if it's all good and vocals are still recessed on just the turntable then it's worth investigating the phase of the wiring further.

You were right, it's the turntable. Wiring is defective and it's being returned. Many many thanks for your help and response and also thanks Andy B, appreciate your help as well! It's just the worst not knowing what the h*ll is wrong so you can fix it but TT is getting replaced and soon I'll be able to enjoy my vinyl again on the Sonos 🙂.

Hi StephJoyce, I'm facing the same issues you were a couple weeks back. How did you establish that the wiring in your cartridge/TT was defective?
Hi, I have a Play 5 and a Audio Technica AT-LP60 which has a pre-amp - I hooked it up and it seemed to kind of work, but it seems like some of the "tracks" are missing? So, I played Money by Pink Floyd. I can hear the instrument tracks but none of the vocals, etc. Any thoughts?

Hey adstasa, on page two of this thread, StephJoyce asked a similar question. Check and see if any of the tips there help you out!
Thank you Kumar, I think it is either the 3mm RCA Y cable or the Play:5 jack. it does not seem to fit properly - somewhat loose. It crackles like a bad connection, when you try to re-seat. Like a bad iPhone jack with different volumes, channels, tracks, etc. as you mess with it. Cable looks normal, but ordered one to troubleshoot. Have a feeling it is bad Jack on the Play:5.
It could be a bad jack, but unlikely and a new cable should either solve the problem or tell you the way forward. Good luck!
For those reasons I expect the market for even new turntables/vinyl to continue long after CD players have gone out of production. With better ways of managing digital music, they are already obsolete.

A bit like Morgan sports cars. Or Montblanc and other fountain pens - TTs I mean.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I haven't come across it yet with a new turntable and its factory-fitted cartridge, but there's always a first time. I have seen it where people have tried to swap a cartridge themselves and got muddled. I have also heard of one cartridge manufacturer getting the wiring wrong during production.

Check all the rest of our wiring first , but if it's all good and vocals are still recessed on just the turntable then it's worth investigating the phase of the wiring further.

You were right, it's the turntable. Wiring is defective and it's being returned. Many many thanks for your help and response and also thanks Andy B, appreciate your help as well! It's just the worst not knowing what the h*ll is wrong so you can fix it but TT is getting replaced and soon I'll be able to enjoy my vinyl again on the Sonos 🙂.

Hi StephJoyce, I'm facing the same issues you were a couple weeks back. How did you establish that the wiring in your cartridge/TT was defective?

He heard the effect of something called destructive interference. Sounds that you would expect to come through loudly and from the centre of a stereo recording were much weaker than expected, but sounds on the more extreme left and right edges of the stereo soundfield were still strong.

You'll hear this effect (even with a mono speaker) when one side of a 2-channel system is out of phase with its partner. The cause is the the Plus and Minus wires for one channel are crossed over.
Hi everyone I’m hoping I can get an answer to my question please. I have a Playbar, Sub & 2 Play 3s as rear surrounds. I use a Toslink switcher to hook up my Sky Box & Xbox as I found the sound quality was better than running a Toslink from the TV.
I’ve found a thread where someone has connected their Pre-amp TT to their Playbar & Sub set up using an RCA to SPDIF converter so it goes from RCA to Toslink. They say it sounds great.
My question is: would I get sound from my rear surrounds as well with the same set up bearing in mind I think the Playbar would be receiving a Stereo 2 channel line in input?
If I were to only get sound from the Playbar & Sub I wouldn’t be interested in getting the turntable. I don’t want to get a Sonos Connect as I don’t have Sonos products elsewhere in the house.
Any help would be much appreciated thanks guys.

Is there any way of avoiding / overwriting the turntable delay from 75ms to 0ms? I’m using the amp currently to run 2 x turntables through it via a mixer so I can DJ through it, so it’s impossible for me to mix the two records as the delay between the headphones in the mixer and the sound through the speaker is too great.

Definitely. I am too old to get beyond the aesthetic beauty and rituals of turntables and vinyl, but I have noticed in charity stores here in Scotland, vinyl is now starting at £2 for even non descript stuff, whereas CDs are now 3 for £1.
In a wee Victorian house with Victorian wallpaper, my compromise has involved painting not only my Sonos 5s, but also my pre-amp and TT too. She is happy, and tbh, I think it's ok too! Nice clean lines if nothing else.

Looks nice! I'd be worried about acoustic feedback, though, with the speaker and TT on the same shelf.

Records are still $2 here, thankfully, including some valuable Blue Notes I've snagged over the years. 😉

No, unfortunately not, it’s inherent in the software, as a method by which Sonos prepares the stream for being played in sync across all connected ‘rooms’. There’s no bypass, and is why Sonos doesn’t market themselves as direct (DJ, Computer, PA) speakers. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hi everyone I’m hoping I can get an answer to my question please. I have a Playbar, Sub & 2 Play 3s as rear surrounds. I use a Toslink switcher to hook up my Sky Box & Xbox as I found the sound quality was better than running a Toslink from the TV.
I’ve found a thread where someone has connected their Pre-amp TT to their Playbar & Sub set up using an RCA to SPDIF converter so it goes from RCA to Toslink. They say it sounds great.
My question is: would I get sound from my rear surrounds as well with the same set up bearing in mind I think the Playbar would be receiving a Stereo 2 channel line in input?
If I were to only get sound from the Playbar & Sub I wouldn’t be interested in getting the turntable. I don’t want to get a Sonos Connect as I don’t have Sonos products elsewhere in the house.
Any help would be much appreciated thanks guys.

You can answer your own question by testing it yourself.

Go to your Sky box or better still your Xbox and set it for basic stereo out. So that's PCM Stereo with no Down-mixing. Play that through your Sonos system. I'll be that the rear surrounds still run because the Playbar will apply a surround algorithm when it detects basic 2 channel.

However, there is a better way.

The surround algorithm makes educated guesses as to what the rear channels should be doing. You can have the rears play in a sort of 4 Channel Stereo mode. Go to Settings - Room settings - "Your Playbar group" - Advanced sound - Surround settings. Set the "Playing Music" option to Full rather than Ambient.

You can try this now without making any changes to either the Sky box or XBox. Try a Sky radio station as they play in stereo with no surround encoding. See how you get on.

Thanks for the feedback, I thought as much. Looks like I’ll need to return the Amp unfortunately. 

Userlevel 1
Badge
Definitely. I am too old to get beyond the aesthetic beauty and rituals of turntables and vinyl, but I have noticed in charity stores here in Scotland, vinyl is now starting at £2 for even non descript stuff, whereas CDs are now 3 for £1.
In a wee Victorian house with Victorian wallpaper, my compromise has involved painting not only my Sonos 5s, but also my pre-amp and TT too. She is happy, and tbh, I think it's ok too! Nice clean lines if nothing else.

Looks nice! I'd be worried about acoustic feedback, though, with the speaker and TT on the same shelf.

Records are still $2 here, thankfully, including some valuable Blue Notes I've snagged over the years. ;)

Got to admit, I had the same concerns too, and I actually swapped the pre-amp and turntable locations, but in both configurations, there seems to be zero feedback. The table itself is one solid bit of engineering, and the hairpin legs were made for me to a pretty high standard.....no spikes though. One compromise I did have to make! Envious of the vinyl market in the US. Prices here in the UK are definitely on the climb.
Just need to to chase down Kumar on the subject of the Connect I have linked up to the home cinema system. By sheer luck, none of his concerns have come to pass, and the entire 7.1 system is pumping out synced sounds. Happy bunny here.
Oh, I added a Sub lying flat underneath the table (yep, yet another compromise), and really happy with the results so far. A much more mellow addition to vinyl sounds compared to the REL Storm attached to the cinema system, but that's ok.
Just surprised at how many old school liberties I can take with the Sonus/analogue interface without having the sorts of issues I have spent my life encountering on purely analogue set ups.

Just surprised at how many old school liberties I can take with the Sonus/analogue interface without having the sorts of issues I have spent my life encountering on purely analogue set ups.

Lol. Welcome to the club. Although in my case by now I have phased out all analogue except two zones with passive speakers that still work very well with a Connect Amp.

As to vinyl prices in the UK, I believe that the USD 2 reference is for used records. Doesn't the UK do garage sale equivalents? Or have stores that also sell used records? New is expensive in both places, I think.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you can find a more suitable system for your needs.

Oh, i never buy new records. I love hitting the GoodWill thrift that's within walking distance of my job. Jazz records are hard to find, but persistence has paid off over the years. They sometimes put popular albums, like The Beatles and Stones behind the counter with high prices, but i don't care for pop, so no problem. Had to laugh, in the weeks after MJ died, they were trying to sell Thriller for $$$. There were something like 25 million copies pressed. It will never be worth more than $2, lol.
They sometimes put popular albums, like The Beatles and Stones behind the counter with high prices, but i don't care for pop, so no problem.
Used Vinyl seems to be one of those happy exceptions where it is cheaper to be of a discerning bent!

I’m having a serious grounding/buzz issue with my brand new Sonos Amp, and after 2 weeks, I’m about to give up and take it back.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Numark TT-1510 into ART DJ Pre II.  At my old residence, this setup fed into a Samsung surround sound system.  Never had any issues, sounded great.

Moved to a new location and the vinyl setup is in a different room than the surround sound system, so had not put together a new setup yet.

Bought a Sonos Amp to complete the system, which is feeding 2x late 80’s model 3 way speakers.  Feeding Spotify through Sonos Amp to these speakers, sounds amazing.  Switch over to Line-In for vinyl and there is this terrible buzz.  The buzz even feeds into my Sonos One which I was also porting the vinyl output to (via the Amp).

I went to Guitar Center and bought all new RCA cables to ensure it wasn’t a cabling problem.  No change.

I took the record player and the Art preamp to a local electrician to test both units out for a grounding issue and after having for a couple of days, he said there was nothing wrong with either unit.  Said he cleaned out the connections, plugged it up to his amplifier and his records sounds great.  No buzz.

Got home, hooked it back up, still a buzz.  THEN found this article, which spoke about setting the input Volume 1-10.  This made complete sense.  My input was set to 3.  I SWEAR that when I changed it to 10, the buzz went away.  A day or two later, the buzz was back.  Just want to be clear, I was troubleshooting this issue so many ways from Sunday, that I was pretty burnt out.  So maybe the buzz never went away, but maybe when I turned to 10, I turned the volume down, and the buzz was just less audible.  Changing the Input from 1-10 does nothing other than adjust the noise floor where the buzz is quieter at 1 (but so is the playback) and the buzz is loud at 10 (but so is the playback).

SOLVED?? I went and bought a Sony 2ch. 200watt receiver with a phono input.  Plugged up the record player to the phone input and it sounded clean.  Turned it up to 50, sounded loud and great.  When I took the needle off the vinyl, I could hear a slight buzz, but that sound pretty normal for vinyl.  Could really only hear it if I put my ear close to the horn.

I hooked the player back up to the Art preamp, and then into a line input on the Sony, to see if the Pre-amp was the culprit.  Still at volume 50, the vinyl sounded loud and clear.

I’ve hooked my player, the preamp, and the Sony, in 9 different power configurations using 2 different 20A circuits in my house, and switching the ground from between the Sony receiver terminal and the Art Preamp terminal.  With all 3 devices (player, preamp, Sony) hooked up to the same circuit, with the ground on the preamp, the buzz is SUPER minimal.  At a volume of even 60, the only way to hear the buzz is to put your ear up to the horn.

I then reintroduced the Sonos Amp.  Player, to preamp, to Sonos Amp.  Volume of Sonos Amp halfway up, and the buzz can be heard from across the room.  No matter how I interchange the devices using the 2x different 20amp circuits, the buzz is consistently the same and loud.

I have used an Edison tester on these 2x circuits and they are showing a correct wiring including being grounded.

The only thing to note is that the buzz present when using the Sony receiver is an extremely quiet, electrical buzz.  The buzz from the Sonos Amp sounds more digital like interference but not RF interference. 

I really liked the idea of the Sonos Amp because it was streamlined in how you cast and control the volume, but can’t afford to have a $700 equipment that has a buzz equal to that of quieter parts of a song.  If I can’t get this Amp issue figured out, I’ll return it, keep the Sony, and buy a Sonos Port.  The Sony has a line level RCA output that I could then feed into the Port.  Likewise, have the Port feed the Sony in order to feed Spotify/Sonos.  This will work cleanly, but causes more steps to switch inputs plus the need for 2 methods of controlling volume :(

Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to setup my turntable remotely. I do not want to use songs as an amp, I already have a great amp and a multi-room setup. I merely want move my turntable to my living room (for convenience) while leaving the rest of my setup in the basement. Am I correct in assuming the following setup: Turntable > Pre-amp > Sonos Connect > wirelessly transmits to second Sonos Connect > Receiver.
That will do it.
I have a Sonos One and a connect. I cannot get the connect hooked up with my turntable so all will play with the one. My turntable has a preamp built in and when I hook up the connect I get no sound from my existing speakers or the Sonos one.

Got something similar to you guys. 
Just got a Sonos Amp, Sonos One SL and a Turntable Pro-Ject …. but sounds is extremely coming out of the Sonos One SL. 

Everything works fine, it is connected, the Amp recognises it but sounds is quite low compare to Streaming.
Tried to change the Line-In and the Source Level to 10 (High) … but doesn’t seem to work. Sounds is still at 30% of what it could be.

Any Advice ? Will try to connect proper speakers to my amp and give it a try

OK, first thing I'd try is flipping the switch on the pre-amp a couple of times. I've seen issues before where it doesn't actually actuate, although you haven't specified what kind of turntable you have. It's worth a shot, at least, just to make sure the pre-amp is turned on.

Next, I'd take a look at the settings in the Sonos app for the Line in, and make sure it's turned up properly. You may want to try several settings, before you're happy. Shoot, since it's a CONNECT, it might be worth making sure you're connected to the Analog in jacks, rather than the Analog out. Who knows? :)

Finally, if none of that works, I'd recommend that you submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If you want to save a little money you may want to check out this Instructable I wrote describing how to set up a Raspberry Pi as a line-in for Sonos: https://www.instructables.com/id/Add-Aux-to-Sonos-Using-Raspberry-Pi/ Cheaper than buying a Sonos Connect :D

Cute -- good work. I use Raspberry Pis for lots of things -- some Sonos related -- but not this. Will give it a try when I have some time for home projects.