Using a Turntable with Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

237 replies

No, and although this isn't relevant to why there is a delay, the CDP is also analog in the outputs it delivers via wire to the analog inputs on the Connect.

And the switch I referred to would be just a little more than a Y cable splitter; nothing like the Onkyo which you still need for its amplification for feeding the Bose speakers wired to it.

Solve? It’s possible that it could help, but it’s likely that you can solve this issue without an additional purchase. You’re likely experiencing some sort of wifi interference in the connection. The bandwidth required by a line in source tends to be much heavier than a normal music stream from the internet, which is why you’re only experiencing this when grouping the turntable’s music. I’d take a look at that FAQ and apply as many of the potential solutions as possible. 

There’s always a chance, however, that there’s a deeper issue, in which case I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it, or open up a new thread and post the diagnostic number, along with a detailed description of your setup here in the boards. 

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. 

Hello! I was gifted a Pro-Ject Essential III TT and a CONNECT. According to the SONOS website I should be able to plug this TT directly into the CONNECT. I did so and the record sound is still extremely muffled - even after I adjusted the line-in all the way up to ten, I have to turn the volume on the sonos app all the way up to hear what's playing on the TT, and it's still very quiet.
The SONOS instructions indicate to use the included SONOS cords to plug the TT into the CONNECT via the headphone jack on the TT. But the TT does not have a headphone jack - it has its own RCA cables coming out of the back, which are what I used to plug into the CONNECT. I'm wondering if this is the root of the problem...but I'm not entirely sure how I would fix that.
I also used the included SONOS cords and plugged my phone in to the CONNECT and it played on regular volume so I do believe the issue originates with the record player.
Thanks for any input (HAHA) you may have!
Cheers,
Alison
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Now that Sonos supports Google Assistant, is it possible to stream a turntable to Google speakers as well as Sonos speakers?
No, not at the moment. Not sure if this would ever be possible either. You currently cannot share the same stream to google/alexa with your Sonos speakers.
Classic symptoms of no phono preamp. It looks like that turntable has several models, some with and some without a preamp. If yours has a preamp, you need to switch it on, if not, you will need to purchase an external one to go between the phono output and the Sonos input.

Hey guys - can’t figure out how to delete my post, but disregard my comment.  Got on the phone with tech support, waiting 25 minutes, spoke with the tech for about 20 minutes, and it ended with him telling me it’s something on my end between my record player and my preamp.  He recommended me go buy a vinyl player with a preamp built in because apparently Sonos doesn’t approve of external preamps.  I guess the mechanics of sound are different when the preamp is inside of the record player versus being an external unit… I joke.

I’m taking the Sonos Amp back, somewhat sadly.  Sony got my money this go round.  Listening to a vinyl through the 200w Sony with the phono offset at +6… Volume at 40 is closely comparable to the Sonos Amp set at 60% just without the buzz.

ok I hooked my turntable into a preamp using the MC input, I then hooked the preamp into my Sono Connect which is streaming to my playbase...still VERY low sound coming from my turntable. Any suggestions? Have changed my room settings from 2 to 9

I don’t see anywhere on this thread where the question is answered whether you can use a Sonos Port or Amp WITHOUT a stereo receiver. I have an old Harmon Kardon but would prefer to avoid the massive physical footprint of a stereo and just hook my turntable up to the Sonos equipment and play through my Sonos speakers. Everyone else is talking about receivers and amplifiers. Does anyone know if you can go straight into Sonos Amp or Port (or EITHER) with a turntable/preamp setup and just play thru Sonos speakers? 

Realllllly hoping someone can help me here.

Just set up a new TEAC TN 400s turntable with preamp: https://www.amazon.com/Teac-TN-400S-WA-TEAC-TN-400S-Turntable/dp/B01MROT166

to a Sonos connect. The issue is: the sound quality is terrible. I do not even know how to describe it. I've uploaded a video that I am hoping someone can identify an issue with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlnRUo_egoE&feature=youtu.be

Any help would be tremendous.

...And if you can play turntable direct thru Sonos Port or Sonos Amp using ONLY Sonos speakers, which is preferred for that (sounds better, more power, etc), Sonos Amp or Sonos Port?

See my post in the other thread; though the sound in the video also sounds like it is breaking up and that isn't going to be addressed by increasing line in levels, I imagine. If so, trying the same TT into another amp will let you know if the TT is defective, or more likely, the cartridge is not properly installed. And/or, poor quality records.
ok I hooked my turntable into a preamp using the MC input, I then hooked the preamp into my Sono Connect which is streaming to my playbase...still VERY low sound coming from my turntable. Any suggestions? Have changed my room settings from 2 to 9

That turntable has a moving magnet cartridge, so preamp should be set to MM, not MC. The very low input impedance of the MC input is likely swamping the cartridge's output, which is normally around 47K ohms.
I tried that as well....I took my turntable in and they said my cartridge was damaged but I'm not sure that is truly the problem. They replaced it (with a cheaper cartridge) so I am very interested to get it plugged in and see what it sounds like : (
Hello all, hope I'm in the right place. New to Sonos and trying to build a theatre project piece. Have received a Connect and a One (which just happens to be the speaker I received from another source.) Everything is working fine in terms of network - Connect sees my Spotify account, or what's on the controlling iPad, etc. and sends the signal to the One in another room. However, need to connect an analog source, and the Line In on the Connect just doesn't seem to hear anything I put on it. Wireless mic, pre-amped or not, turntable, preempted or not, a CD player, a digital audio recorder, my phone. nothing. Every analog source checked on a mixer and output is fine, but when connected to the line in on the Connect, nothing - not at any input level setting. Even tried different cables.

Have I somehow missed a crucial step some where?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Have you actually selected the relevant Line-In input to play on the required speaker(s)? (Browse | Line-In | ...)
Have you actually selected the relevant Line-In input to play on the required speaker(s)? (Browse | Line-In | ...) Indeed I have. And then would switch over to the iPad play to check it, and then back to Line In etc.
Are you choosing the Line-In as a source from the One's Now Playing screen? Alternatively, you can set the One as the Autoplay room in the Settings->Room Settings->(Connect room name)->Line-In Settings.
Are you choosing the Line-In as a source from the One's Now Playing screen? Alternatively, you can set the One as the Autoplay room in the Settings->Room Settings->(Connect room name)->Line-In Settings. Thanks for the replies... yes. I tried setting it as the source for autoplay, and also grouped the One and the Connect, and then told it to include groups as well. And that all worked as expected for other sources but just not Line In.
The Connect looks to be having a defective line in jack; email Sonos support. Although your last sentence above is odd; most of what you describe and say it worked, will only work for line in.

Also the obvious - is the volume level slider on the Connect set to audible levels?
Hi there, I’m also having problems with connecting my turntable to my Sonos play 5 speaker and getting good sound.
My set up at the moment is turntable to phono pre amp to play 5, all cables are wired correctly so no issues there.

When using the app, I’ve selected line in, turned the record player on started playing a vinyl. Although I can hear the audio at a decent level, this is somewhat crackly and muffled and is not the clean crisp sound both the player and speaker are capable of.

I should add that when streaming from Spotify the speaker plays brilliant sound, so again, there no issues there.
I’m wondering whether there are specific settings or something similar that would improve the quality of sound.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Luke
Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m new and sure could use some help please.. I have a turntable with pre-amp hooked up to sonos port that is streaming to 2 Sonos Moves.. I dont feel like im getting all the maximum volume I would like to hear. When I stream from my phone (apple music) to the Moves it is nice and LOUD.. but from the turntable its, eh.. any advice or suggestions please? thank you

Does the turntable + preamp, when wired to another downstream amp using the same wire do a good job? I assume so, based on what you have said about the player capability. If so, a defective line in jack on the Sonos is indicated. This can be confirmed by wiring another source like a phone to the 5.

Check your cables, and reseat them. Make sure your pre-amp is working, I’d bet based on you post that it isn’t. 

I am looking for the highest sound quality available when using my turntable. It is a high-end VPI table w/ no preamp. When I tried going directly through the connect amp the sound was very poor. Can I achieve levels equal to running my TT through my McIntosh Amp assuming the speakers are equal?
Yes, on an apples to apples basis. Does the named Amp have a phono socket? The Connect Amp does not, so needs a phono preamp to be on an apples to apples basis.

Apples to apples will also mean that both amps have the same power spec of 55 wpc/8 ohms. If the speaker load needs 150 wpc that the other amp can deliver, it is not a fair ask of the Connect Amp to drive those speakers and have them sound just as good.