End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Sonos Staff
  • 12372 replies

We announced yesterday that some of our oldest Sonos products will be moving into a legacy mode in May of 2020. Our commitment is to support products with regular software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting products far longer. 

Here is some public information we’ve shared, gathered into one place to respond to some of your questions in one easy thread, so that people can find the correct information easily.

Beginning in May, software updates and new features from Sonos will only be delivered to systems with only modern products.

After May, systems that include legacy products will continue to work as before - but they will no longer receive software updates or new features. 

Sonos will work to maintain the existing experience and conduct bug fixes, but our efforts will ultimately be limited by the lack of memory and processing power of these legacy products.

We don’t expect any immediate impact to your experience, but access to services and overall functionality will eventually be disrupted, particularly as partners evolve their own services and features. 

Customers with both legacy and modern products have time to decide what option is best for them. You can continue to use your whole system in legacy mode - in this case, it will stop receiving updates and new features. 

You will also be able to separate your legacy products from your modern products, so that the modern products can still receive updates and new features, and legacy products can still be used separately. We’ll have more information on how to do this in May when you can take that action.

Another option available to all customers with legacy products is to take advantage of the Trade Up program, which allows you to upgrade older Sonos products to modern ones with a 30% discount. Trade Up will be open to customers at any time should they decide to upgrade. 

We recognize this is new for Sonos owners, just as it is for Sonos. We are committed to help you by making options available to you to support the best decision for your home.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate with asking.

Update 2/22: A message from our CEO

We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you of the path forward:

First, rest assured that come May, when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work as they do today. We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away. Many of you have invested heavily in your Sonos systems, and we intend to honor that investment for as long as possible. While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

While we have a lot of great products and features in the pipeline, we want our customers to upgrade to our latest and greatest products when they’re excited by what the new products offer, not because they feel forced to do so. That’s the intent of the trade up program we launched for our loyal customers.

Thank you for being a Sonos customer. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that you’ll forgive our misstep, and let us earn back your trust. Without you, Sonos wouldn’t exist and we’ll work harder than ever to earn your loyalty every single day.

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Patrick Spence
CEO, Sonos

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

@John B: I don’t know what percentage will opt for legacy mode but I would not assume that it will be tiny.

I would guess that it’s somewhere around 10%.  I’m not sure that it really matters though, as that percentage is only useful for customers who want claim this decision will be the end of Sonos, or by those that want to claim it’s not.  We will see how it unfolds in the next year or so.  Regardless, customers should do what they feel is best for them regardless of what everyone else is going to do.

If it was so tiny then Sonos could have offered better terms for upgrading legacy equipment as it would have been a small impact on their bottom line and they would have been praised instead of vilified.

Such decisions are not just about current financial impact though.  If the decision is technical in nature than it stands to reasons that some time in the future, there will be another batch of speakers marked as legacy, and they will want to be able to match the 30% discount at that time.

The fact is that they offered a relatively meager discount in exchange of components, that at least at this point in time, have less functionnality than the components they are meant to replace (e.g. Port doesn’t have optical line in which the Connect has).

The trade discount, is not limited to like products.  You can use the trade for anything in the Sonos store.  I get that a lot of people are going to trade “like for like”, but in many cases, people are going to trade in a Connect:amp for a pair of Sonos Ones, for example.

The fact is that anybody who doesn’t feel that the meager trade in offer is of value will have a legacy network (maybe all legacy or maybe mixed and limiting modern equipment). I suspect those will not be small numbers.

The trade in offer is not the only motivation for people to opt for a modern system though.  The other reasons are the potential new upgrade features and Sonos products that you won’t be able to use in a legacy system. It’s those reasons that people are upset about the legacy system to begin with.  

I have a mixed environment throughout my house which includes almost every class of component made by Sonos (Play:1, 3, 5 (gen 1), Connect, Connect:Amp, Playbar, Sub, CR200). I also support a friend’s system so I have over 15 components on my account that will be legacy. 

There is no way that I will be giving Sonos the amount of money they are expecting. I believe I am much better off giving it to other’s who provide more functionality (e.g. 5ghz wifi, bluetooth, airplay, chromecast) which will likely allow me to continue to use the equipment after they choose to stop supporting it.

5 GHz WiFi isn’t an advantage for audio, except in the case of home theatre setups, which Sonos uses.  Almost  all the products Sonos currently offers has airplay 2.  I don’t get the last part of your statement as Sonos does allow you to use your equipment after they choose to stop supporting it   If that were not the case, there would be no legacy system to talk about.

The Connect doesn't have an optical line in.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@John B: I don’t know what percentage will opt for legacy mode but I would not assume that it will be tiny.

I would guess that it’s somewhere around 10%.  I’m not sure that it really matters though, as that percentage is only useful for customers who want claim this decision will be the end of Sonos, or by those that want to claim it’s not.  We will see how it unfolds in the next year or so.  Regardless, customers should do what they feel is best for them regardless of what everyone else is going to do.

If it was so tiny then Sonos could have offered better terms for upgrading legacy equipment as it would have been a small impact on their bottom line and they would have been praised instead of vilified.

Such decisions are not just about current financial impact though.  If the decision is technical in nature than it stands to reasons that some time in the future, there will be another batch of speakers marked as legacy, and they will want to be able to match the 30% discount at that time.

The fact is that they offered a relatively meager discount in exchange of components, that at least at this point in time, have less functionnality than the components they are meant to replace (e.g. Port doesn’t have optical line in which the Connect has).

The trade discount, is not limited to like products.  You can use the trade for anything in the Sonos store.  I get that a lot of people are going to trade “like for like”, but in many cases, people are going to trade in a Connect:amp for a pair of Sonos Ones, for example.

The fact is that anybody who doesn’t feel that the meager trade in offer is of value will have a legacy network (maybe all legacy or maybe mixed and limiting modern equipment). I suspect those will not be small numbers.

The trade in offer is not the only motivation for people to opt for a modern system though.  The other reasons are the potential new upgrade features and Sonos products that you won’t be able to use in a legacy system. It’s those reasons that people are upset about the legacy system to begin with.  

I have a mixed environment throughout my house which includes almost every class of component made by Sonos (Play:1, 3, 5 (gen 1), Connect, Connect:Amp, Playbar, Sub, CR200). I also support a friend’s system so I have over 15 components on my account that will be legacy. 

There is no way that I will be giving Sonos the amount of money they are expecting. I believe I am much better off giving it to other’s who provide more functionality (e.g. 5ghz wifi, bluetooth, airplay, chromecast) which will likely allow me to continue to use the equipment after they choose to stop supporting it.

5 GHz WiFi isn’t an advantage for audio, except in the case of home theatre setups, which Sonos uses.  Almost  all the products Sonos currently offers has airplay 2.  I don’t get the last part of your statement as Sonos does allow you to use your equipment after they choose to stop supporting it   If that were not the case, there would be no legacy system to talk about.

I don’t agree that “that percentage is only useful for customers who want claim this decision will be the end of Sonos, or by those that want to claim it’s not.” I think it’s relevant in that Sonos has demonstrated that they are willing to sacrifice 10% of their user base with little notice and litte incentive to upgrade. Furthermore, assuming that your 10% number is correct, then these are certainly longer term customers and are likely more heavily invested in the ecosystem. I would love ot know what percentage of customers own legacy equipment and of those how many also own “modern” equipment and will be forced to either neuter their modern equipment, split their network, or get rid of the legacy components. 

The problem is that Sonos has yet to announce any of these “new upgrade features”. I have yet to see one I’m interested in. I never bought a Sonos One because I don’t want the additional features. They should have started by rolling out new features so that people actually want to upgrade vs trying to get people to upgrade just because they would like you to. 

This is why I say that they should have focused on finding a way to make the components interoperable and roll out new features to modern equipment without breaking their basic functionality of providing an integrated single multi-room system. Sonos has in the past been able to provide new functionality, such as airplay, only when components that support them are added so I have a hard time accepting that this is suddenly impossible. 

My point is not audio benefit but rather more means to interact with the equipment and therefore greater likelyhood that the equipment will be usable over a longer period. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

you are correct, I meant to say optical line out. Still, supports my point, asking for more money and doesn’t  provide the same functionality as the “legacy” device it’s meant to replace.

you are correct, I meant to say optical line out. Still, supports my point, asking for more money and doesn’t  provide the same functionality as the “legacy” device it’s meant to replace.

Better DAC, Airplay 2, 12V trigger. 95% of users don't need optical out. The 5% that do can get a coaxial to optical converter for a tenner. If you think that proves your point then you are the one living in a post fact world. 

I don’t agree that “that percentage is only useful for customers who want claim this decision will be the end of Sonos, or by those that want to claim it’s not.” I think it’s relevant in that Sonos has demonstrated that they are willing to sacrifice 10% of their user base with little notice and litte incentive to upgrade. Furthermore, assuming that your 10% number is correct, then these are certainly longer term customers and are likely more heavily invested in the ecosystem. I would love ot know what percentage of customers own legacy equipment and of those how many also own “modern” equipment and will be forced to either neuter their modern equipment, split their network, or get rid of the legacy components. 

I think we are pretty much on the same page here. I said that the % is useful for  ‘will be the end of Sonos’ and you’re saying that it shows a ‘willing to sacrafice X percentage of user base.  The point being that there sees to see some magic percentage number that’s above which, Sonos is immoral, hurting too many customers, making a mistake, etc.   Below that percentage, whatever it is, it’s morally acceptable.  We don’t know what the actual numbers are, and probably don’t have a consensus on what’s morally acceptable, so I don’t know what the point is.  If you did know the numbers, I’d imagine you’d feel more comfortable (as would I ) of claiming the decision was right or wrong.Regardless of the number, and individual has to a right to take the decision whatever way they want to.

The problem is that Sonos has yet to announce any of these “new upgrade features”. I have yet to see one I’m interested in. I never bought a Sonos One because I don’t want the additional features. They should have started by rolling out new features so that people actually want to upgrade vs trying to get people to upgrade just because they would like you to. 

You just stated that the Sonos One has additional features, then said that customers don’t know what the new features of modern products are to determine whether it’s worth upgrading or not.  A little confusing.  I think though you’re referring to future features that will be in modern systems, but not legacy systems.  And that makes sense.  However, a customer does have the option to stay on in a legacy system until the point there is a feature they deem is worth upgrading to.  You can wait to make the decision till you know what the features are.

This is why I say that they should have focused on finding a way to make the components interoperable and roll out new features to modern equipment without breaking their basic functionality of providing an integrated single multi-room system. Sonos has in the past been able to provide new functionality, such as airplay, only when components that support them are added so I have a hard time accepting that this is suddenly impossible. 

The obvious guess then would be that whatever feature/change is coming has to do with how the speakers communicate with each other.  Not impossible at all.  Whether you or anyone else thinks the change, whatever it actually is or when it comes to be, is worth it is a different matter.   

My point is not audio benefit but rather more means to interact with the equipment and therefore greater likelyhood that the equipment will be usable over a longer period. 

It’s been pretty clear that the limitations of the legacy products has been hardware related, mostly specifically the 32 MB or less of memory, that is the limiting factor.  Not lack of features.  However, others have argued that Sonos should have enabled the aux input on recycled devices so that could be used as an effectively, dumb speaker.  Not a part of any Sonos system, but a standalone system.

Badge

Better DAC, Airplay 2, 12V trigger. 95% of users don't need optical out. The 5% that do can get a coaxial to optical converter for a tenner. If you think that proves your point then you are the one living in a post fact world. 

How do you know 95% of users don't need optical? Does Sonos measure this data and if so have you seen it?

How do you know 95% of users don't need optical? Does Sonos measure this data and if so have you seen it?

Most hifi amplifiers don't have a built in DAC so can't take a digital input. Most that do have a DAC have a digital coaxial input instead of or as well as a digital optical. 

Hardly anybody needs an optical out. THAT IS WHY THE PORT DOESN'T HAVE AN OPTICAL OUT. 

Give me strength. 

Couldn't care less

Can we just agree how absurd it is to call people with 10’s of thousands of posts as “working for Sonos”?  Never mind that Sonos has stated on numerous occasions that anyone paid by Sonos is duly marked as such.  If it were truly the case that Sonos is paying people like myself to do PR on this situation, I’d be the most embedded of embedded shills ever, seeing I joined in 2008.  So either Sonos would have had to see 12 years into the future, or they would have to create a 12 year old persona and manufacture 10’s of thousands of fake posts, along with any post that quotes my posts.

Or, maybe we just disagree with you?  Nah, that makes no sense.

Userlevel 1

Sorry Patrick

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Couldn't care less

Can we just agree how absurd it is to call people with 10’s of thousands of posts as “working for Sonos”?  Never mind that Sonos has stated on numerous occasions that anyone paid by Sonos is duly marked as such.  If it were truly the case that Sonos is paying people like myself to do PR on this situation, I’d be the most embedded of embedded shills ever, seeing I joined in 2008.  So either Sonos would have had to see 12 years into the future, or they would have to create a 12 year old persona and manufacture 10’s of thousands of fake posts, along with any post that quotes my posts.

Or, maybe we just disagree with you?  Nah, that makes no sense.

For the record, I don’t think any of the fanatical Sonos defenders are on the Sonos payroll, but its certainly not absurd. Sonos could easily have several user accounts that different (dozens?) employees over the years could have control of and post thousands of messages. You’d just need the log-in credentials.  Maybe writing style would be different, but it wouldn’t be the most diabolical thing that any one of us could imagine. It’s also not bonkers to imagine that some of the most avid posters have received “free” Sonos gear for their contributions to the community.

Anyway, again, I don’t think this is the case. I just think that forums like this attract some of the same personalities that inhabit sports forums. There is going to be a small fraction of very industrious posters who are zealots and entrenched in their views. I think we are seeing them on both sides of this issue.  

Only one person on here has had multiple user accounts, and I know it isn’t me!  And Sonos checks IPs for multiple socks and bans those accounts. (as some here very well know)

Anyway, again, I don’t think this is the case. I just think that forums like this attract some of the same personalities that inhabit sports forums. There is going to be a small fraction of very industrious posters who are zealots and entrenched in their views. I think we are seeing them on both sides of this issue.  

IMO, if a fact is stated, it does not matter who stated it.  If you’re going to makes assumptions or speculate, does it fit with the facts we already know?  It really doesn’t matter whether someone likes Sonos or not.

As well, I think when an ‘industrious poster’ actually points out negative/positive points on the other side of a discussion, it tends to be overlooked.  I’ve said several times that I think Sonos should have given more notice, and I completely understand why people are upset, particular those with big investments.   At the same time, I’ve seen people that are very frustrated admit that they do believe that are real technical issues involved here.  These posts just don’t get the same attention.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

IMO, if a fact is stated, it does not matter who stated it.  If you’re going to makes assumptions or speculate, does it fit with the facts we already know?  It really doesn’t matter whether someone likes Sonos or not.

As well, I think when an ‘industrious poster’ actually points out negative/positive points on the other side of a discussion, it tends to be overlooked.  I’ve said several times that I think Sonos should have given more notice, and I completely understand why people are upset, particular those with big investments.   At the same time, I’ve seen people that are very frustrated admit that they do believe that are real technical issues involved here.  These posts just don’t get the same attention.

I don’t disagree with you. My personal rub with the community is when people state their opinion or speculation as fact possibly in an effort to influence visitors who aren’t as informed as others. For many, it may just be venting and the influence that could occur would be collateral. 

Statements like “Sonos is going to make our speakers useless in May.” as well as statements like “Your devices will continue working just as they always have for a long time, there is nothing to worry about.” are both wrong, but frequently stated. The truth is somewhere in between. Added to this confusion is the ambiguity in the limited statements that Sonos has made.

I don’t disagree with you. My personal rub with the community is when people state their opinion as fact possibly in an effort to influence visitors who aren’t as informed as others. For many, it may just be venting and the influence that could occur would be collateral. 

Statements like “Sonos is going to make our speakers useless in May.” as well as statements like “Your devices will continue working just as they always have for a long time, there is nothing to worry about.” are both wrong, but frequently stated. The truth is somewhere in between. Added to this confusion is the ambiguity in the limited statements that Sonos has made.

Part of that has to do with posters not wanting to spell out all the details with every post.  The poster may know exactly what’s going on but feel that a speaker that lacks future updates is useless (stretching a bit here).  They would assume readers know what they are talking about.  On the other side, posters are not wanting to always get into the unlikely but possible scenarios where legacy systems could lose partial functionality at some possible future date.  It takes time, and tends to open the discussion up to speculation on the possibility of these scenarios….again.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I don’t disagree with you. My personal rub with the community is when people state their opinion as fact possibly in an effort to influence visitors who aren’t as informed as others. For many, it may just be venting and the influence that could occur would be collateral. 

Part of that has to do with posters not wanting to spell out all the details with every post.  The poster may know exactly what’s going on but feel that a speaker that lacks future updates is useless (stretching a bit here).  They would assume readers know what they are talking about.  On the other side, posters are not wanting to always get into the unlikely but possible scenarios where legacy systems could lose partial functionality at some possible future date.  It takes time, and tends to open the discussion up to speculation on the possibility of these scenarios….again.

It’s true, but it usually only takes a couple of extra words to qualify a statement to let it be known that there is more to the situation.

On a slightly different note, regarding the “unlikely by possible scenarios”, I don’t think this is accurate as Sonos themselves have said that it is going to happen, so reduced functionality of legacy devices is not an “unlikely” event. It is expected at this point. The main question that has not been answered is when? Maybe it will be 10 years down the line or more (that would be great). Maybe it will be 5 (the minimum Sonos has guaranteed if you purchase directly from them).

Maybe Sonos will walk back some of their statements. Maybe they won’t. Maybe they’ll offer a program to keep streaming music services going on older devices for a fee. No one knows at this point.

On a slightly different note, regarding the “unlikely by possible scenarios”, I don’t think this is accurate as Sonos themselves have said that it is going to happen, so reduced functionality of legacy devices is not an “unlikely” event. It is expected at this point. The main question that has not been answered is when? Maybe it will be 10 years down the line or more (that would be great). Maybe it will be 5 (the minimum Sonos has guaranteed if you purchase directly from them).

I made the statement in context of the previous statement...“Your devices will continue working just as they always have for a long time, there is nothing to worry about.”     It is unlikely, but possible, that a device will stop working as they always have in the near future (in contrast to ‘long time’).  Also, I was not referring to the transition of a modern device to legacy device.  I assumed ‘device’ in the italics statement was also referring to legacy devices.  Regardless, I think this goes to the argument that it’s a complicated issue that can be difficult to explain, and statements are often misunderstood.  That could be fixed by posters like me communicating better.  It also would be nice if Sonos made things less complicated.

Maybe Sonos will walk back some of their statements. Maybe they won’t. Maybe they’ll offer a program to keep streaming music services going on older devices for a fee. No one knows at this point.

I’ve never seen Sonos fully walk back a change before.  They do make adjustments from time to time, but never fully walk things back.  I also doubt they will here as that would mean that the change is not for technical necessity reasons as they claim it is.  So a lot of customers would likely still be upset with Sonos.  Just my guess.

As far as charging a fee to continue legacy streaming, they have stated that they will provide fixes within the limitations of the hardware to legacy systems.  So it sounds to me like they are offering it for free.  But if things changed, I don’t think we’re going to see any fee system in place for 3 main reasons.

1 - People don’t like paying a fee for something they have historically got for free.

2  - Managing a subscription fee systems has some costs to setup.  Sonos doesn’t really do that anywhere right now, so I don’t know they want build that system out for this case.

3 - The market size for people who would pay the fee will always be shrinking as people move away from Sonos or move to modern systems.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I made the statement in context of the previous statement...“Your devices will continue working just as they always have for a long time, there is nothing to worry about.”     It is unlikely, but possible, that a device will stop working as they always have in the near future (in contrast to ‘long time’).  Also, I was not referring to the transition of a modern device to legacy device.  I assumed ‘device’ in the italics statement was also referring to legacy devices.  Regardless, I think this goes to the argument that it’s a complicated issue that can be difficult to explain, and statements are often misunderstood.  That could be fixed by posters like me communicating better.  It also would be nice if Sonos made things less complicated.

Understood.

I’ve never seen Sonos fully walk back a change before.  They do make adjustments from time to time, but never fully walk things back.  I also doubt they will here as that would mean that the change is not for technical necessity reasons as they claim it is.  So a lot of customers would likely still be upset with Sonos.  Just my guess.

As far as charging a fee to continue legacy streaming, they have stated that they will provide fixes within the limitations of the hardware to legacy systems.  So it sounds to me like they are offering it for free.  But if things changed, I don’t think we’re going to see any fee system in place for 3 main reasons.

1 - People don’t like paying a fee for something they have historically got for free.

2  - Managing a subscription fee systems has some costs to setup.  Sonos doesn’t really do that anywhere right now, so I don’t know they want build that system out for this case.

3 - The market size for people who would pay the fee will always be shrinking as people move away from Sonos or move to modern systems.

I’m not anticipating that Sonos is going to alter their path significantly from what they have laid out, but I don’t see it as something that couldn’t be done.  They haven’t stopped updates for music playing devices in the past, so personally, I’m not going to apply other things they have not historically done to this situation.

They haven’t explicitly said that they would work to keep streaming music services going.  They said in the original communication that they would not. In the follow up message from the CEO, he said that legacy devices would receive bug fixes and security updates, but never did he address updates to ensure streaming music services continue to work. It has been left up to our interpretation what “bug fixes” means. Perhaps, this includes this service, but there is no way for any of us to know at this point.

I don’t think Sonos is going to offer a subscription update service. I was only illustrating the uncertainty.

They haven’t explicitly said that they would work to keep streaming music services going.  They said in the original communication that they would not. In the follow up message from the CEO, he said that legacy devices would receive bug fixes and security updates, but never did he address updates to ensure streaming music services continue to work. It has been left up to our interpretation what “bug fixes” means. Perhaps, this includes this service, but there is no way for any of us to know at this point.

@Ryan S stated in the first post in this thread…

Sonos will work to maintain the existing experience and conduct bug fixes, but our efforts will ultimately be limited by the lack of memory and processing power of these legacy products.

In my opinion, you can’t claim to work to maintain the existing experience if that doesn’t mean attempts will be made to keep streaming services running, but I can see where that’s open to different interpretations.   There may be other posts where Sonos has clarified this further, but I don’t trust my memory and am not going to go hunting for it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

In my opinion, you can’t claim to work to maintain the existing experience if that doesn’t mean attempts will be made to keep streaming services running, but I can see where that’s open to different interpretations.   There may be other posts where Sonos has clarified this further, but I don’t trust my memory and am not going to go hunting for it.

I think it’s very open to interpretation considering the original statement said explicitly that music services would stop working (over time). If they intended to reverse that statement, I think it would make more sense to address it directly rather than something so ambiguous. Again, I suppose this gets back to poor communication. If Sonos does indeed intend to provide updates that would allow legacy devices to continue streaming from services like Spotify, Pandora, Tidal, etc, then it would behoove them to let us know in the most unequivocal way possible. Thats about the only bone to pick I have at this point. I’ve never expected new features.

I think it’s very open to interpretation considering the original statement said explicitly that music services would stop working (over time). If they intended to reverse that statement, I think it would make more sense to address it directly rather than something so ambiguous.

I took the clarification email/statement to supersede the original statement, and one of the reasons the original thread was closed while this second thread was not.  Even if it doesn’t, the two statements, on this specific issue, are not in conflict.  Sonos can make attempts to keep streaming services running within the limitations of the hardware AND there can be a point were Sonos can’t fix it and the service will no longer run.

I also think it’s worth noting that there are going to be other factors that keep a service from running on legacy systems, or modern systems for that matter.  The service provider could fold, or decide that they don’t want to work on Sonos anymore for whatever reason.  The service could change their rate structure, or decide they aren’t going to hold your personal tracks in the cloud the way they used to (like Amazon did previously).  Sirius XM recently bought Pandora, so I wouldn’t be too surprised to see Pandora absorbed into XMs service in some way (though probably still with a free version).  

Again, I suppose this gets back to poor communication. If Sonos does indeed intend to provide updates that would allow legacy devices to continue streaming from services like Spotify, Pandora, Tidal, etc, then it would behoove them to let us know in the most unequivocal way possible. Thats about the only bone to pick I have at this point. I’ve never expected new features.

I think Sonos could clarify what an ‘experience’ is, but I think they are going to avoid making any specific guarantees since they can’t control the hardware limitations or what changes streaming services are going to make.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I think it’s very open to interpretation considering the original statement said explicitly that music services would stop working (over time). If they intended to reverse that statement, I think it would make more sense to address it directly rather than something so ambiguous.

I took the clarification email/statement to supersede the original statement, and one of the reasons the original thread was closed while this second thread was not.  Even if it doesn’t, the two statements, on this specific issue, are not in conflict.  Sonos can make attempts to keep streaming services running within the limitations of the hardware AND there can be a point were Sonos can’t fix it and the service will no longer run.

I also think it’s worth noting that there are going to be other factors that keep a service from running on legacy systems, or modern systems for that matter.  The service provider could fold, or decide that they don’t want to work on Sonos anymore for whatever reason.  The service could change their rate structure, or decide they aren’t going to hold your personal tracks in the cloud the way they used to (like Amazon did previously).  Sirius XM recently bought Pandora, so I wouldn’t be too surprised to see Pandora absorbed into XMs service in some way (though probably still with a free version).  

I did as well, but when an original email says that streaming music services will stop working, and the subsequent email doesn’t say that they won’t, that doesn’t mean that the music services will continue. It just means they omitted to reiterate that they would stop.

I think most people understand that the connection between Sonos and various services is a cooperation between two companies and not entirely under Sonos’ control. I understand that its not possible for Sonos to guarantee that these type of circumstances won’t arise, but a simple commitment to continue to update their code to allow streaming music services to run on both legacy and modern devices would suffice.  

Again, I suppose this gets back to poor communication. If Sonos does indeed intend to provide updates that would allow legacy devices to continue streaming from services like Spotify, Pandora, Tidal, etc, then it would behoove them to let us know in the most unequivocal way possible. Thats about the only bone to pick I have at this point. I’ve never expected new features.

I think Sonos could clarify what an ‘experience’ is, but I think they are going to avoid making any specific guarantees since they can’t control the hardware limitations or what changes streaming services are going to make.  

Perhaps this is true, but I’m not aware of any need for larger amounts of RAM or processing power to stream music from these services at this point. I’m dubious about this. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’d gladly sacrifice any of the new features introduced since I purchased my equipment that may take up additional code and RAM for the the continuation of streaming music services.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Sonos has set a clear expectation that the “Legacy” experience will degrade over time…  Why is this up for debate?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Sonos has set a clear expectation that the “Legacy” experience will degrade over time…  Why is this up for debate?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US

It’s hard to know because we don’t know what Sonos is planning on doing to keep them going. Its possible they mean that they will keep them going as long as technologically possible or its possible they mean that they will keep them going until they don’t feel like it anymore and would prefer customers to buy new equipment. We do have this little tidbit from 1 month ago and the 10.6 update:

benernotte wrote:

Edward R wrote:

In 10.6, we have made a number of changes. We have made additional performance enhancements and improved reliability for Sonos systems. 

Another important thing to note is that soon, there will be some changes in the way Spotify connects to your Sonos system.

Are these kind of changes will make a legacy product not able to play Spotify??? 

If it is... Our legacy products will very soon be unable to stream music from major music streaming music.  It's a shame. 

Really SONOS must provide solutions to continue using main function on our legacy products. 

This sort of change could, however, all legacy devices should have already gotten this update, and certainly will have the chance to do so between now and May when they stop receiving future updates.

So as recent as 1 month ago there was a change with Spotify that could have resulted in the service no longer working with Legacy devices had it come in June instead of a month ago. I don’t know how often these types of changes occur, but from Ryan’s response, it makes it sound like Sonos would not have patched their software in the form of an update to allow Spotify to continue to work.

Anyway, even this is conjecture and my interpretation of the situation I suppose. I also don’t know how much management information the Community Managers are privy to.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

There is no ‘what if’ in the support article.  It says (many times) ‘over time functionality of features and services will be impacted’