End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

“simple magic box” sounds quite dismissive of the idea of the device. The thing is, it would not only solve the current issue but it would also ensure reasonable confidence in the products going forward. Device reaches end of life? No issues, you flash a basic, dumb, receiver only firmware that will never die and your magic box handles actual software upgrades. Perfect? No. But *if* such a simple magic box were to come into production (at a reasonable price as it’s intention is to fix “shortcomings” in the product range, and you may need more than one to cover your estate) then I would be happy to keep buying Sonos.

That all sounds great from a consumer perspective, but does it makes sense from a Sonos  perspective?  We are talking about a device that only has interest in a limited market (consumers who already have legacy products, and are interested in keeping them running), that will only get smaller in time.  Although  I imagine Sonos would be happy to break even or take a slight loss with this product, can they do that after considering the cost of development, manufacturing, and support...all under an accelerated process to get in to consumers by May?  Perhaps if Sonos could make up the loss in other sales, like an Amazon or Google could, then they could afford to take a big loss.  I don’t even know if it would really help keep customers buying Sonos products, since many of the legacy effected customers will go eles where,  prefer to by modern products, or are insulted that they are asked to pay at all.

As John said, maybe it happens in May, but there are plenty of reasons that it won’t happen, despite some customers feeling it would be great for their system and fix any concerns they have about Sonos.

Yes, I do not know Sonos sales figures so it’s all conjecture. All I can say is that even though I have a fully modern system currently (my Connect was the newer one) I have put all future Sonos purchases on hold because of this situation. I am looking elsewhere while taking into account that this type of situation isn't necessarily confined to Sonos, If Sonos had a guaranteed future-proofed path for historical products  (even if it had SOME costs associated, hopefully a fraction of the actual products) then I would stay with them. I accept that perhaps I am a minority - I really have no idea if that is so. And I’ve already “stopped” 2 people from buying Sonos where i used to recommend them. I was honest about the situation, I didn’t overplay it, but they agreed that they were looking for “lifetime” products rather than potentially disposable technology products. 

“simple magic box” sounds quite dismissive of the idea of the device. The thing is, it would not only solve the current issue but it would also ensure reasonable confidence in the products going forward. Device reaches end of life? No issues, you flash a basic, dumb, receiver only firmware that will never die and your magic box handles actual software upgrades. Perfect? No. But *if* such a simple magic box were to come into production (at a reasonable price as it’s intention is to fix “shortcomings” in the product range, and you may need more than one to cover your estate) then I would be happy to keep buying Sonos.

That all sounds great from a consumer perspective, but does it makes sense from a Sonos  perspective?  We are talking about a device that only has interest in a limited market (consumers who already have legacy products, and are interested in keeping them running), that will only get smaller in time.  Although  I imagine Sonos would be happy to break even or take a slight loss with this product, can they do that after considering the cost of development, manufacturing, and support...all under an accelerated process to get in to consumers by May?  Perhaps if Sonos could make up the loss in other sales, like an Amazon or Google could, then they could afford to take a big loss.  I don’t even know if it would really help keep customers buying Sonos products, since many of the legacy effected customers will go eles where,  prefer to by modern products, or are insulted that they are asked to pay at all.

As John said, maybe it happens in May, but there are plenty of reasons that it won’t happen, despite some customers feeling it would be great for their system and fix any concerns they have about Sonos.

Yes, I do not know Sonos sales figures so it’s all conjecture. All I can say is that even though I have a fully modern system currently (my Connect was the newer one) I have put all future Sonos purchases on hold because of this situation. I am looking elsewhere while taking into account that this type of situation isn't necessarily confined to Sonos, If Sonos had a guaranteed future-proofed path for historical products  (even if it had SOME costs associated, hopefully a fraction of the actual products) then I would stay with them. I accept that perhaps I am a minority - I really have no idea if that is so. And I’ve already “stopped” 2 people from buying Sonos where i used to recommend them. I was honest about the situation, I didn’t overplay it, but they agreed that they were looking for “lifetime” products rather than potentially disposable technology products. 

Quite opposite to you and your friends, yesterday, I added two new Sonos Ones to my existing Home audio setup… I personally don’t see an advantage in switching to another ‘similar’ brand, which may only follow in Sonos’ shadow anyway when it comes to 'product' support. 

My experience of Sonos Customer Support in the past has been excellent too. (10 out of 10, in fact).

I prefer the convenience of their 'all in one' wireless smart-home computerised multi-room active speakers, that can 'pair’, 'bond' and 'group' together, rather than the thought of trying to do things with separate amps and passive speakers etc. I have (albeit briefly) viewed some of the competition, in the past, but keep coming back to Sonos. 

I am more than happy to still recommend Sonos to my family and friends and love the sound, look and capabilities of their devices, particularly my new Sonos One gen 2’s. (Highly recommended).👍They sound great here. You and your friends are the ones that are missing out.

I personally don’t see an advantage in switching to another ‘similar’ brand, which may only follow in Sonos’ shadow anyway when it comes to 'product' support. 

A rather strange analogy, when I was referring to a home audio system.🤔

I have made my recent purchase choice based on both the 'past' and 'present' experience of Sonos devices and their excellent track record for supporting their products. I actually prefer their devices too, compared to what competitors have on offer. I don’t see anything better, that will do exactly what I want them to do. Their speakers are so easy and convenient to add to any home ..and they sound/look just fine to me. Build quality is quite excellent. So all these things played a part in my decision to stick firmly with Sonos products.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I personally don’t see an advantage in switching to another ‘similar’ brand, which may only follow in Sonos’ shadow anyway when it comes to 'product' support. 

A rather strange analogy, when I was referring to a home audio system.🤔

I have made my recent purchase choice based on both the 'past' and 'present' experience of Sonos devices and their excellent track record for supporting their products. I actually prefer their devices too, compared to what competitors have on offer. I don’t see anything better, that will do exactly what I want them to do. Their speakers are so easy and convenient to add to any home ..and they sound/look just fine to me. Build quality is quite excellent. So all these things played a part in my decision to stick firmly with Sonos products.

All those are fine reasons to stick with Sonos and in no way was I criticizing your decision. I was only commenting on what I quoted. You have said this multiple times, but I fail to see the logic in it. I also find it illogical that while you don’t see the advantage to switching to a different company who has not made the business decision to cut support for older products because they may very well do the same thing in the future, you do feel like you should stick with Sonos because they have treated you well in the past.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Would you see any advantage to asking a friend for an important favor who has not let you down in the past over one who has let you down?

Would you see any advantage to asking a friend for an important favor who has not let you down in the past over one who has let you down?

I would more likely look at all the available information to see which friend was best positioned to undertake such a favour and achieve the required outcome, so that it met the needs I was looking for. If that helps you at all?

The fact a friend had let me down in the past would only form ‘part’ of the gathered information that would eventually lead to my eventual choice. I find it helpful to try to leave no stones unturned when making some decisions.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I would more likely look at all the available information to see which friend was best positioned to undertake such a favour and achieve the required outcome, so that it met the needs I was looking for. If that helps you at all?

The fact a friend had let me down in the past would only form ‘part’ of the gathered information that would eventually lead to my eventual choice. I find it helpful to try to leave no stones unturned when making some decisions.

Then maybe you should alter your original statement to fit with your now amended explanation? Or perhaps you just enjoy saying things that don’t make sense (but fit your position) and then backtracking later?

Then maybe you should alter your original statement to fit with your now amended explanation? Or perhaps you just enjoy saying things that don’t make sense (but fit your position) and then backtracking later?

Like your strange analogies you are not making much sense here. If anything, I feel quite sure I declared a summary of the information that I had gathered, both ‘past’ and ‘present’ in my original statement, that in turn led to my decision/recent purchase ..and to stick with Sonos?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Like your strange analogies you are not making much sense here. If anything, I feel quite sure I declared a summary of the information that I had gathered, both ‘past’ and ‘present’ in my original statement, that in turn led to my decision/recent purchase ..and to stick with Sonos?

The statement that I quoted was not part of your summary.  Once again, I think your purchase and conclusion are perfectly reasonable for you. I simply pointed out a statement you have repeatedly made as a way of explaining away other people’s concern. Your statement doesn't make senses. It comes across that you can’t acknowledge anything that could be perceived as negative about Sonos. I love my current Sonos products, but am obviously willing to criticize shortcomings.

User694694,

Ah, thats actually not the case, but I think I now see what you are doing here... You are taking part of one of my messages and highlighting that information, out of context, rather than taking the statements I made collectively... that’s perhaps a bit like me saying that **************. When isolated statements are mentioned and taken entirely out of context, it can perhaps sometime deliver the wrong message to the recipient.

I would suggest folk read my recent messages collectively, as I was trying to show the actual valid reasons why I chose to buy and stick with Sonos products.

The reasons not to buy my two Sonos Ones and go with a competitor instead were briefly  mentioned and I rejected them and went onto say I would still recommend Sonos to both my family and friends.

My purchase decision is quite a valid one and still entirely justified in my book.

As mentioned earlier, before I make such decisions, I do try to see the complete picture, rather than just a part of it taken in isolation.

*Moderator Note*  Off Topic

Edited quote referring to previous post. No need for anyone else to use it out of context.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Sorry, the quote was not taken out of context. I’ve repeatedly said that none of the rest of the things you mentioned were unreasonable. 

Sorry, the quote was not taken out of context. I’ve repeatedly said that none of the rest of the things you mentioned were unreasonable. 

It is not a case about being right, or wrong here. It’s about presenting facts, so that folk can see the entire picture and make an informed decision, rather than choosing to select isolated statements from others, taken out of context (or otherwise) in order to attempt to criticise a particular viewpoint.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

It is not a case about being right, or wrong here. It’s about presenting facts, so that folk can see the entire picture and make an informed decision, rather than choosing to select isolated statements from others, taken out of context (or otherwise) in order to attempt to criticise a particular viewpoint.

1. I wasn’t criticizing your view point. I stated multiple times that you view point was reasonable.
  2. It’s really funny that this specific quote is you trying to shut down someone else's view point and objection.
  3. My quote was not taken “out of context (or otherwise)” unless by otherwise, you mean not at all.

1. I wasn’t criticizing your view point. I stated multiple times that you view point was reasonable.
  2. It’s really funny that this specific quote is you trying to shut down someone else's view point and objection.
  3. My quote was not taken “out of context (or otherwise)” unless by otherwise, you mean not at all.

You should perhaps take into account all of my comments on the recent Sonos purchase topic, rather than simply choosing any single isolated comment, or single area of research. Particularly as each remark made, taken collectively, help justify (in my view) the recent decision to choose to buy the two excellent Sonos One Speakers, rather than me opting to buy ‘similar’ products from some other competitor. I’ve certainly no regrets with that decision.

I am also happy to say once again here, based on my own research and experience of Sonos devices, both in the past and more recent times, pre/post announcements from the company, that I personally shall continue to recommend Sonos products to both family and friends.

I’m not sure I can add further to those things that I have said here already.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

You should perhaps take into account all of my comments on the recent Sonos purchase topic, rather than simply choosing any single isolated comment, or single area of research. Particularly as each remark made, taken collectively, help justify (in my view) the recent decision to choose to buy the two excellent Sonos One Speakers, rather than me opting to buy ‘similar’ products from some other competitor. I’ve certainly no regrets with that decision.

I am also happy to say once again here, based on my own research and experience of Sonos devices, both in the past and more recent times, pre/post announcements from the company, that I personally shall continue to recommend Sonos products to both family and friends.

I’m not sure I can add further to those things that I have said here already.

You don’t need to add anything further. I’ve never criticized your devotion to Sonos or decision to make further purchases. I’m sure many companies would be ecstatic to have evangelists like yourself devoted to them. I’ve only pointed out that your dismissive statement to another poster isn’t logical taken as an isolated comment or in the context of your larger view.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Quite opposite to you and your friends, yesterday, I added two new Sonos Ones to my existing Home audio setup… I personally don’t see an advantage in switching to another ‘similar’ brand, which may only follow in Sonos’ shadow anyway when it comes to 'product' support. 

My experience of Sonos Customer Support in the past has been excellent too. (10 out of 10, in fact).

I prefer the convenience of their 'all in one' wireless smart-home computerised multi-room active speakers, that can 'pair’, 'bond' and 'group' together, rather than the thought of trying to do things with separate amps and passive speakers etc. I have (albeit briefly) viewed some of the competition, in the past, but keep coming back to Sonos. 

I am more than happy to still recommend Sonos to my family and friends and love the sound, look and capabilities of their devices, particularly my new Sonos One gen 2’s. (Highly recommended).👍They sound great here. You and your friends are the ones that are missing out.

Your friends maybe have more money to (potentially) waste than mine.

I’ve never used Sonos support - never needed it (which is a positive thing), so cannot comment on whether I see it as good or bad. 

“I prefer the convenience of their 'all in one' wireless smart-home computerised multi-room active speakers, that can 'pair’, 'bond' and 'group' together, “ - Good luck with that come the era of split systems.

Missing out? I think not - I actually just back from another friend’s house who has Bluesound - his main speakers (Pulse, I think?) totally outshine my Play 5! They’re looking a good contender for me - I just need to investigate any potential issues in the future pipeline.

Your friends maybe have more money to (potentially) waste than mine.

I’ve never used Sonos support - never needed it (which is a positive thing), so cannot comment on whether I see it as good or bad. 

“I prefer the convenience of their 'all in one' wireless smart-home computerised multi-room active speakers, that can 'pair’, 'bond' and 'group' together, “ - Good luck with that come the era of split systems.

Missing out? I think not - I actually just back from another friend’s house who has Bluesound - his main speakers (Pulse, I think?) totally outshine my Play 5! They’re looking a good contender for me - I just need to investigate any potential issues in the future pipeline.

It’s each to their own WSu, good luck with your choice.

My friends/family don’t have money to waste by the way, but a few of us here will be aiming, long term, for a modern Sonos system, going forward.👍

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

My friends/family don’t have money to waste by the way, but a few of us here will be aiming, long term, for a modern Sonos system, going forward.👍

Ha ha, but “a modern Sonos system, going forward” does involve “wasted” money for many as it involves replacing components they had no intention, or desire, to replace. :joy:

Yes, it all comes down to a personal decision… this is just a discussion. I suppose the only reason I’m still expressing my views is in the hope that Sonos do come up with a better solution that means I can stay with them. I don’t actually WANT to leave the Sonos I bought into, just the newer Sonos that is more tech company attitude than hifi company attitude.

Ha ha, but “a modern Sonos system, going forward” does involve “wasted” money for many as it involves replacing components they had no intention, or desire, to replace. :joy:

Yes, it all comes down to a personal decision… this is just a discussion. I suppose the only reason I’m still expressing my views is in the hope that Sonos do come up with a better solution that means I can stay with them. I don’t actually WANT to leave the Sonos I bought into, just the newer Sonos that is more tech company attitude than hifi company attitude.

No, my friends 'hopefully' may not waste any money whatsoever WSu, but that would be their own personal choice in any event and not something that had been imposed on them by me, or by Sonos, for that matter

Just as an example to perhaps explain things…

As a 'friends' Sonos device reaches its 'end of life', it simply gets replaced with a modern product, it’s what we would do normally anyway, or in some cases, our 'friends’ or family, may choose to sell-on their devices, or (as I tend to do in some cases) simply give them away to other friends & family.

Those who have been given these legacy Sonos devices, can continue to run those devices for the 'foreseeable' future. That is just like any other product on the market, from every other manufacturer. Nothing is 'deliberately' wasted along the way and we all do try our level-best to 'responsibly' recycle 'end of life' things too, rather than sending things off to landfill.

In the long-term however we still will have much enjoyment from our Sonos products, as we move towards the aim of having all 'modern’ Sonos system. The good thing is other folk, get some of the benefit too, along the way.

So I think you possibly may have misunderstood my earlier post, or maybe chosen to put your own slant on things before checking-out the detail here. 

In my own case I have/had 5 legacy Sonos products... 

2 x Play:5 (gen 1’s) .. these have been handed over to my son and his family and are being used in their home.

2 x CR200 controllers … these are partially working, but screens have the usual 'non-responsive’ issues. I cannot sell these, or give them away, due to their faulty condition, but will responsibly recycle them for two Sonos vouchers, as they are at the brink of their 'end of life' in any event. I will likely ‘sell” (to cover any postage costs) the charging ports, as they are working fine, but no use to me, family, or friends, for that matter.

Bridge … this was faulty and replaced by a Sonos Boost, just before Christmas, so I have no need for this device. Friends and Family don’t want it either. I have purchased a new power supply for it (old one had voltage fluctuations). I’ve not decided what to do with this yet, but it won’t be wasted.

Oh and when I mentioned earlier that I purchased two Sonos Ones, they actually replaced two old Play:1’s that were in turn passed onto my daughter and her family ...and they are still being used too… I made the purchase decision as I wanted the addition/benefit of 'Airplay-2' and 'Voice Services' of those new devices, hence I chose to add those to my current setup.

The two  30% vouchers I get from the two CR200’s will be used towards my next purchase … I’m in the market for a new Home Theatre  System, but waiting to see what happens in that area from Sonos, either during this year, or next, but I’m hoping to achieve an overall decent discount from some of the Sonos 'combined sets’.. and grab what I call ‘great value’ from the Sonos 'trade-up’ programme.

So lots of benefit and very little waste here, as we move towards a 'modern’ Sonos system. Everyone.. including close family and friends (and a few others) remain extremely positive about the road ahead with our evolving Sonos systems.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

No, my friends 'hopefully' may not waste any money whatsoever WSu, but that would be their own personal choice in any event and not something that had been imposed on them by me, or by Sonos, for that matter

Just as an example to perhaps explain things…

As a 'friends' Sonos device reaches its 'end of life', it simply gets replaced with a modern product, it’s what we would do normally anyway, or in some cases, our 'friends’ or family, may choose to sell-on their devices, or (as I tend to do in some cases) simply give them away to other friends & family.

Those who have been given these legacy Sonos devices, can continue to run those devices for the 'foreseeable' future. That is just like any other product on the market, from every other manufacturer. Nothing is 'deliberately' wasted along the way and we all do try our level-best to 'responsibly' recycle 'end of life' things too, rather than sending things off to landfill.

In the long-term however we still will have much enjoyment from our Sonos products, as we move towards the aim of having all 'modern’ Sonos system. The good thing is other folk, get some of the benefit too, along the way.

So I think you possibly may have misunderstood my earlier post, or maybe chosen to put your own slant on things before checking-out the detail here. 

In my own case I have/had 5 legacy Sonos products... 

2 x Play:5 (gen 1’s) .. these have been handed over to my son and his family and are being used in their home.

2 x CR200 controllers … these are partially working, but screens have the usual 'non-responsive’ issues. I cannot sell these, or give them away, due to their faulty condition, but will responsibly recycle them for two Sonos vouchers, as they are at the brink of their 'end of life' in any event. I will likely ‘sell” (to cover any postage costs) the charging ports, as they are working fine, but no use to me, family, or friends, for that matter.

Bridge … this was faulty and replaced by a Sonos Boost, just before Christmas, so I have no need for this device. Friends and Family don’t want it either. I have purchased a new power supply for it (old one had voltage fluctuations). I’ve not decided what to do with this yet, but it won’t be wasted.

Oh and when I mentioned earlier that I purchased two Sonos Ones, they actually replaced two old Play:1’s that were in turn passed onto my daughter and her family ...and they are still being used too… I made the purchase decision as I wanted the addition/benefit of 'Airplay-2' and 'Voice Services' of those new devices, hence I chose to add those to my current setup.

The two  30% vouchers I get from the two CR200’s will be used towards my next purchase … I’m in the market for a new Home Theatre  System, but waiting to see what happens in that area from Sonos, either during this year, or next, but I’m hoping to achieve an overall decent discount from some of the Sonos 'combined sets’.. and grab what I call ‘great value’ from the Sonos 'trade-up’ programme.

So lots of benefit and very little waste here, as we move towards a 'modern’ Sonos system. Everyone.. including close family and friends (and a few others) remain extremely positive about the road ahead with our evolving Sonos systems.

Yes, like I said it’s a personal decision. I don’t want to keep replacing items so I’ll just move wholesale to another solution - simple… or it will be once I’ve decided where to go. My Sonos will not go to waste either though - I’ll flog it on ebay.

Yes, like I said it’s a personal decision. I don’t want to keep replacing items so I’ll just move wholesale to another solution - simple… or it will be once I’ve decided where to go. My Sonos will not go to waste either though - I’ll flog it on ebay.

Yes, that’s sounds fine, as perhaps a 'loss' in those type of circumstance, is often someone else’s gain ...and of course, potentially a new generation of customer for Sonos too. All good stuff and entirely your choice of course.👍

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

So, I have only Legacy equipment.

Can I still add a new Sonos component after say half a year?

Because….. for adding new components I need to perform a sw update, but that will not be possible because I only have Legacy products.…

Am I missing something?

Because….. for adding new components I need to perform a sw update, but that will not be possible because I only have Legacy products.…

Am I missing something?

You will be able to add Sonos products that exist at the time the legacy software goes into effect in May.  If Sonos brings a brand new device to market a year from now, the legacy software will not know about the new device, so you will not be able to add that.  

Am I missing something?

It’s my understanding, though I can’t recall where I picked up that understanding, is that you will be able to add any of the devices that you currently can add.   You won’t be able to a product that Sonos doesn’t currently make.  This will be made clear, and exactly how new speakers can be added, in May.

Am I missing something?

My thoughts on this particular topic...

We can perhaps only speculate a little here, until the full detail is announced, but from all the things I have personally read so far, the existing Sonos announcements and Staff comments seem to 'infer' that if the 'new' product you purchase to add to your existing Home system is one that is available at the time of the separation into 'modern' and 'legacy’ systems (around May-time 2020), like a Sonos One SL for example, you will be able to add that speaker to a legacy setup at any point, going forward and for the foreseeable future. Obviously you can also choose to separate out such a device and place that into a separate 'modern' setup instead.

However, if say your purchase was a brand new product, like a 'yet to be invented' Sonos Three (gen 2) (just an example), that is maybe launched much later in the year, you will 'likely' not be able to add that to the 'existing' legacy system, but will need to run that under a 'modern' setup. 

You can still run both 'legacy' and 'modern'  systems however, side by side… what is not yet clear, is if the two will be able to 'play together' nicely for 'some' things, or if we will have to always treat them as two separate systems, within the same Home.

Just to say that this is merely 'my own take' on things and so these things are therefore 'subject to change', so to speak, but hope that perhaps may assist you a little.