Answered

wont skip track

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

106 replies

Just found this thread after googling this problem. I am having the same issue here. Was very excited to finally connect Alexa (via echo dot) to my Sonos amp. I quickly became very disappointed when I realized Alexa cannot skip tracks if started by voice. Hopefully if enough of us complain about this issue, Sonos will fix it!

I purchased 5 of these Amps. This is completely unacceptable for systems that are so expensive. How can they advertise this as such a premium product but neglect a problem like this?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi, i have the same problem. Have tried to delete any amazon app, erase any login, delete the sonos app, revoke the authorization to skill sonos on alexa, turn off the iphone and restore all, but the answer is always the same "sorry i can't play next song". 

If I start the music with Alexa after the first song it stops, but if I use the sonos app or airplay I have no problems.
I only have problems with Alexa / sonos

I tried everything, I assure you.

Strangely, however, the queue of the songs is seen on the Sonos app, while on the Alexa app it is not and does not play them.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Yep. Basically the Sonos and Alexa integration allows you to start music and that is it. Can’t resume properly (“sorry...there’s nothing to resume”) can’t skip (“sorry I can’t play next track”)

I am at a loss as to how Alexa and Google Home are the future’ and selling so many units because the most useful thing for me would be if you could just consistently play, pause, resume and skip and SHUFFLE.

Don’t get me started on Shuffle! No IFTTT or Yonomi or Orto or Alexa integration allows me to shuffle a playlist with voice or automation. Not a single option to say Alexa shuffle playlist or to have a third party shuffle a favourite playlist via Sonos?

I’m super keen to hear what people even bother buying Alexa enabled Sonos products for or why anyone is signing up for Google Home devices when the most basic stuff like this is beyond most people.

If you’d been in my house this week and seen me shouting at Alexa and my Sonos speakers it would have made a tragic comedy. No one would ever sign up for smart speaker technology if they’d see. My frustration this week - and I’m tech savvy. My wife is over it. She wants a CD player and tape deck back and plain old fashioned light switches! (To be fair my Lifx lights and Alexa are heaps better than my Sonos and Alexa experience so far!) 

And how’s our community support going? Got any staff here answering the issue? Any Sonos or Alexa programmers know what is up? Crickets chirping. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

There's a few threads of this. Many many people with same issue. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’m having the same exact issue. About a week or so ago Alexa only replies with “I cannot skip to the next song” when playing on our playbase. Everything is updated, been uninstalled/reinstalled, but nothing has worked. Extremely frustrating. I can’t even skip the song when I try to skip on the Sonos app.

This. This is my experience too. when it fails with Alexa, the Sonos app then can’t skip either. Why is there no acknowledgement of this from the Alexa skill team at Sonos or any Sonos tech?

Having same problem. Using Apple Music. Can’t skip song in Sonos app or via Alexa. Alexa is rubbish on this. Was a pain to get going. Bit great for Apple Music users. Considering returning if I don’t get a quick fix

Morning All,

My sonos 1 in last last few days will not skip to the next track when using Alexa. Works okay if I stream music from my iPhone and ask Alexa to go to next song.

I couldn’t find anything to help and spent the last hour working through the issue.

This is not a sonos issue but an Alexa problem.

I went to the skills section on the Alexa app, disabled the skill. Turned the Sonos off and back on. Re-enabled the skill “sonos” on Alexa. Didn't work the first time but definitely working again. Worked on second attempt.

As I write this, I ensured it is still working!!!

Tried it but nothing great to report. Didn’t work for the first time and as you said worked the second time but stopped working again. 

Having the same issue. Must be a recent update issue? Hmm...
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Well add me to this list as I am having the same issues. I also noticed that if I start playing music with Alexa and stop or pause it with the Sonos app I cannot resume play at all. I have to ask Alexa to restart the song. Very frustrating.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Having just seen an app update overnight I got quite excited it might be a fix for this. Apparently it’s just more Sonos branded radio stations. Does anyone need another music source? I need the integration between the smart speaker and the Alexa skill to work with the sources I have, not have Sonos add another level of content.

Perhaps the fact that this was in the works is why it’s been quiet re a response from Sonos?

Sonos Radio isn’t nearly as important to me as Sonos working as advertised with the existing services.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Just got off the phone with them. Support person was very polite and helpful. They are going to send me some instructions to try and I will see if they work. Case number 00528661.

I’m in this boat too. Have been for months. thought it was just me until I found this thread.

I think what Sonos need to understand here, is that it doesn’t actually matter whether it’s Amazon or Sonos who are at fault for this problem.
It is Sonos users who are being affected.

It is Sonos users who are looking at the crippled functionality of their Sonos kit, and wondering whether to replace it with Amazon kit.
I’m certainly not buying any more Sonos kit until this is resolved, and if it takes long enough, I’ll start replacing it with something like Echo Studios. And once I start, I’ll replace the lot.

Sonos, this is not acceptable.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just got off the phone with them. Support person was very polite and helpful. They are going to send me some instructions to try and I will see if they work. Case number 00528661.

They are polite and helpful just annoying that this can’t be fixed. The instructions will be to ask you what music service you have do a diagnostic test give you a temporary email account to use. Let us know how you get on. Have you done today’s update?

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi everyone, as of some cloud updates that have gone out, this should be fully resolved now. You shouldn’t need to take any steps other than making sure you’ve got Alexa configured properly (if you happened to remove it or anything of the sort during troubleshooting).

Thanks for the reply/update Ryan S.

Just to confirm the ‘next/skip’ issues, using Alexa, are now all sorted with my system and everything is working fine again here.👍

I assume it is a partial server overload at Amazon Web Services due to the current COVID-19 home quarantine situation.

This can’t be a serious comment ? The thread has been here for for more than six months. Moreover, I have a few amazon Alexa devices and skipping on Apple Music works perfectly fine on them. This seems like an Amazon to Sonos to music service integration to me affecting a fair proportion of people. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Very annoying just spent 2 hours on the phone and nothing said it was due of my Sky Q box really it was working fine up till 10am. Reading on the forum the question to look for is won’t skip track, a lot of customers are having the same problem. Sonos fix this as we have paid so much for this equ

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

OK I tried the steps that support sent me, however it still did not work. I still cannot skip not restart the music from the Sonos app. Here are the steps in case someone else has better luck:

Steps: 

1. Unregistered all the speakers from the Alexa app
  2. Then remove the Sonos skill 
  3. Then sign out from Alexa and Sonos
  4. Then go to the Sonos app > settings > services > add Alexa
  5. Sing in to Alexa > add the Sonos skill > sing into Sonos 

Discover devices > try again 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

They are polite and helpful just annoying that this can’t be fixed. The instructions will be to ask you what music service you have do a diagnostic test give you a temporary email account to use. Let us know how you get on. Have you done today’s update?

Yes I have the latest Sonos app update from today. Hopefully we can get this fixed.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

By the looks of it the skipping issue occurs in specific areas, it’s not widespread. Investigating will take some time. A viable alternative is to start playback from the Sonos app proceeding via voice control.

Is that a viable solution when promising “Sonos works with Alexa”? When it clearly isn’t working with Alexa and we can’t get an official statement from either party?

I don’t think a viable solution for voice controlled Sonos speakers is ‘don’t use voice control’ and I would say many others will agree.

Alexa on Sonos will not't play NEXT song on my spotify playlist. If not fixed promptly, I'm returning my two Sonos One speakers back to Sonos because I'm in 45 day grace period and will research buying competitor. Very pissed.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

News?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

and someone should understand that the wait has lasted for months

I think the point was that even if a solution is found in the next day or two, it’s unlikely Sonos will push an update to customers since they just had an update a short time ago.  You may be eager for the change, but others will be annoyed that there is yet another update. 

Yes it is, but I still have a few weeks to return the sonos for free. For me this option is primary and if my sonos doesn't work fine with Alexa I will be forced to return it and buy an Amazon Studio…

@jgatie more important? the Sonos one is sold with the specification "work with Alexa" not “work almost, sometimes, with alexa”.Easy 😉 

Alexa on Sonos will not't play NEXT song on my spotify playlist. If not fixed promptly, I'm returning my two Sonos One speakers back to Sonos because I'm in 45 day grace period and will research buying competitor. Very pissed.
I agree is absolutely terrible and they seem to be ignoring the problem as well!!!

for a month now we have said that there is a problem here and only now have they admitted it.

Perhaps that was on another thread? Your own first post on this thread was less than two weeks ago, and until three weeks ago there had been only one post in 5 months on this thread. 

Let's give Sonos a bit more time. If it doesn't get fixed it will be because Sonos has higher priorities. (Or it is harder than expected or cooperation with Amazon is needed and they have other priorities.)