Answered

wont skip track

Userlevel 1
I have 2 sonos ones and a beam, when I ask to skip track with alexa on spotify, she just says I cant skip to the next song. Very frustrating.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 19 May 2020, 01:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

106 replies

Userlevel 1

This issue is happening to me right now. Alexa on sonos will not skip to the next song. She responds to all other requests properly.  It is a sonos problem because alex on amazon devices will skip to next song.

So if I use the Apple Music app from start I’m ok

if I start in Sonos app I’m ok

However, if I start by asking Alexa to play music, it will not skip track by voice command saying “I can’t skip track” or something of that nature. 
If I then go into either Sonos or apple app I can’t manually skip track either.

so basically the Alexa is pointless for STARTING music. Music must be started in app if you want ability to skip. This is ridiculous. The whole idea is that you don’t need your phone????

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Well add me to this list as I am having the same issues. I also noticed that if I start playing music with Alexa and stop or pause it with the Sonos app I cannot resume play at all. I have to ask Alexa to restart the song. Very frustrating.

You are on the list now, have you contacted Sonos? 

we need more customers to make the issue more urgent do phone Sonos and get a case reference. Have you updated your devices as there is an new update today.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi everyone, 

The team is working on an issue where Alexa becomes unable to skip tracks that are playing. They’re working on a resolution now, but in the meantime, you could try a few steps that might get it working on your system.

Start with removing Alexa entirely from Sonos in the Sonos app. This is in Settings > Voice Services. Then, go to the Alexa App and disable the Sonos skill and leave it disabled. Finally, go back to the Sonos app and set up Alexa again.

If that still doesn’t fix it on your system, another suggestion is to try setting this up use a different Amazon Alexa account in Sonos, if you have one.

While we get this resolved with the Alexa team, as a workaround, tracks that are added to the Sonos queue using the Sonos Controller should be skip-able with Alexa as expected. 

Thanks for your patience and I’ll update this thread when there’s more news to share. 

Hi all,

I am waking up this thread in hopes to come to a solution. I have a Sonos Beam and a Sonos One SL. I have Amazon Alexa/Music connected to Sonos Beam. As of late, I can no longer give the command “Alexa, skip this song” or “Alexa, next song”. Alexa responds with “I cannot skip this song”. Can someone please point me in the right direction. It is definitely a Sonos issue as we do have a Echo and Echo Dot that responds to the commands. Frustrating at times. Any help will be great. Thank you. 

Just adding to this long list. All working great until last week. Now no skipping and if I pause I can not restart music without starting from scratch. SONOS PLEASE FIX THIS.

I am having the same problem as well.  This all started last week when my play 5 just suddenly stopped and would not play anything through Alexa.  After basically uninstalling everything and then reinstalling all of the apps and skills then going throughthe setup process it worked fine.  Fast forward to today and now Alexa will not skip tracks upon command and only plays one song at a time.  Was there a recent update that has caused this?  I am with the other posters on here who have rightfully pointed out the fact that Sonos has known about this issue for some time now and apparently have done nothing to address it.  For what they charge for their products we deserve better than this!

Adding to this.  Had my Sonos One for over a year.  Alexa stopped skipping tracks about a week ago.  She also, won’t let me add songs to my music.  Disappointing to see this unresolved for 7 months.

I’m having the same exact issue. About a week or so ago Alexa only replies with “I cannot skip to the next song” when playing on our playbase. Everything is updated, been uninstalled/reinstalled, but nothing has worked. Extremely frustrating. I can’t even skip the song when I try to skip on the Sonos app.

Same problem here… dreadful. Fix it

Also having this issue.. extremely frustrating.

Very rarely it will work randomly but 9 times out of 10 no.

Have searched continuously and found no solution thus far

i have this problem on my Sonos One and 2 Play 3s, speaking both to the One and my echo dot.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So this problem has been going on for over 6 months Sonos are still looking into this annoying issue. The whole point was the have the facility to get music played via voice command. So I believe this will. Let be fixed as it’s a long term problem and is not a priority for Sonos. The system will skip tracks if you start playing songs direct from the app but not if you ask Alexa. 100% a Sonos issue as my Alexa Dots work fine. Even if you ask Alexa to play music she will only play one song and not go to the next track. I have tried everything under the sun to fix this but nothing. I have a case reference from Sonos but it’s not going to help they will not be rectifying this anytime soon. Such a shame from a premium product which you would expect them to fix. Vets disappointed with this as the ease of access to play songs and continue listening via our lady Alexa but only to be let down from the hardware. £2000 spent on a playbar, sub, row Sonos ones and a beam and reliability is not what you pay for. Sonos I hope you read this and do something for all your unhappy customers. I was going to purchase more Sonos speakers but not now. 

Joining the thread with the same problems. It’s been a nuisance for over a month.  Haven’t posted because I assumed it was something with my setup.  Restarted, rebooted, reinstalled, etc - started over like new, still didn’t fix it.  I’ve been a loyal Sonos customer for years and have numerous devices throughout the house.  Alexa worked fine on my Sonos One’s for over a year before this issue (using Amazon Music, won’t skip to next song).

Sonos should post a fix.

Calling support should be a last resort.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Same issue here in Germany. Can’t go to next or last song via voice command. Also won’t work when using the Amazon Music App connected to a Sonos speaker. Skipping songs simply is ignored.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yeah it's not working. 

So if I use the Apple Music app from start I’m ok

if I start in Sonos app I’m ok

However, if I start by asking Alexa to play music, it will not skip track by voice command saying “I can’t skip track” or something of that nature. 
If I then go into either Sonos or apple app I can’t manually skip track either.

so basically the Alexa is pointless for STARTING music. Music must be started in app if you want ability to skip. This is ridiculous. The whole idea is that you don’t need your phone????

I have the exact same issue. Any resolution yet???

I've been a Sonos user since 2013. Own three Play 3's, a brand new Sonos One, Amp, Connect and had a Port before returning it.  
I love(d) Sonos but it seems as though they are going down hill fast.  So I've started having this Alexa unable to skip problem for a week.  Was hoping the community would have an answer... but Sonos is asleep at the wheel it would appear.

Analysis seems that Sonos has lost it's vision.  The CEO now seeks to make higher margins on the product by simplifying the hardware, no longer supporting older products; which I was excited by the new Port to replace my Connect when I bought it, but if you put the Port next to the Connect and ask someone which is the newer product just by the look and sound output on my premium surround system.  The Connect would stand as the better product.  They are off in a patent lawsuit with Google too.  Here's a hint, focus on quality sound.

And they don't bother giving their support community the script their tech's would go through to troubleshoot and resolve a track skip issue with Alexa... c'mon.  Customer Service 101 says give customers what they desire and what we desire is answers within < 48 hours let alone > 6 months; even if the issue is not widespread make a post with answers here.

If Sonos goes bankrupt because their loyal customers don't buy products then the system dies.  All the loyal customers end up with product that's worthless.

Anyway I'm off to file a support ticket after trying a bunch 'o random things.  Yuck.

Hi everyone, as of some cloud updates that have gone out, this should be fully resolved now. You shouldn’t need to take any steps other than making sure you’ve got Alexa configured properly (if you happened to remove it or anything of the sort during troubleshooting).

Thanks Ryan! All started working again for me yesterday!!

New to the page. Bought a Sonos beam start of week. 

Tell Alexa to shuffle songs by an artist and plays but only ever plays first song. And won't skip to next song. Will be sending it back end of week. Didn't pay this amount of money for a piece of s***

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi everyone, as of some cloud updates that have gone out, this should be fully resolved now. You shouldn’t need to take any steps other than making sure you’ve got Alexa configured properly (if you happened to remove it or anything of the sort during troubleshooting).

Thanks Ryan! Now all works perfectly!

OK I tried the steps that support sent me, however it still did not work. I still cannot skip not restart the music from the Sonos app. Here are the steps in case someone else has better luck:

Steps: 

1. Unregistered all the speakers from the Alexa app
  2. Then remove the Sonos skill 
  3. Then sign out from Alexa and Sonos
  4. Then go to the Sonos app > settings > services > add Alexa
  5. Sing in to Alexa > add the Sonos skill > sing into Sonos 

Discover devices > try again 

I tried this and it did not work for me either.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

We don't have any new information to share just yet. We're still working to resolve this issue, and I'll be sure to update the thread with any news.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Here for the same reason: Alexa cannot skip a track on Apple Music radio or playlists.

Googled my error, ended up on this thread, I’m in the same boat. Playing music through my Sonos speakers starting from Alexa. Ask Alexa to skip this track or play next track and she replies “I can’t skip to the next track”.

Adding my voice to the issues with voice control from between Alexa and Sonos.

Userlevel 1
I am having the same issue when using Alexa to play Spotify on my Sonos 1 Speakers.
I have six speakers.

"I can't skip to the next song"

Happens on playlists and albums. Will work for the first few minutes but then after a couple of songs have played, she can no longer skip to the next song.

This happens on individual speakers and on speaker groups.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Buddy we are still trying to fix this and nothing. This is very frustrating just do not know why it’s stopped working. If it was an amazon Alexa issue my amazon dots would be doing the same. Where do we go from here? Are my Sonos speakers faulty what ever it is Sonos repair it as you gave lots of disappointed customers