Answered

wont skip track

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

106 replies

Yes, same issue here now, used to be able to unplug the sonos one and then plug in again and it would then work for a day or two, but now permanently wont skip, as with others if started through the sonos app then it’s all good.

Had this issue for ages. Won’t skip or o my plays one song at a time. Have 3 Sonos speakers. Can see this has been a known issue for 6 months and still not sorted. Bloody disgrace Sony!!! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I noticed the following:

• Pause does not work
  • Next song does not work
  • Previous song does not work
  • If you request any of the above, playback stops after the current song
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Had this issue for ages. Won’t skip or o my plays one song at a time. Have 3 Sonos speakers. Can see this has been a known issue for 6 months and still not sorted. Bloody disgrace Sony!!! 

Have you called Sonos? Everyone needs to complain I really upset with this now. Sonos is not cheap so it must be fixed. So happy with Sonos until Friday then not happy. I do not believe Sonos have this as a priority to repair as you have had this problem for 6 months. Come on Sonos give us the premium service that we have paid for 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Not working here either. Only had my Sonos one for a couple of days, my first foray into their products, an impressive sound, but the lack of skipping on Amazon Music is very poor and doesn’t look like they know how to fix it by the look of this thread. Another problem I have is with dropout every 5 seconds on radio stations on Tunein, but they blame wifi interference, yet other radio stations work fine and it works ok if you play direct from the phone on sonos app, so it’s obviously not that, while the main thread is 8 months old, with still no fix. If they can’t be bothered to fix these issues, I’ll be returning my Sonos One. I planned to buy another for stereo and maybe a playbar and more speakers later on,  but if the support is so poor I won’t bother. They should stop chasing sales and concentrate on fixing their products and the sales will come as a result.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Not working here either. Only had my Sonos one for a couple of days, my first foray into their products, an impressive sound, but the lack of skipping on Amazon Music is very poor and doesn’t look like they know how to fix it by the look of this thread. Another problem I have is with dropout every 5 seconds on radio stations on Tunein, but they blame wifi interference, yet other radio stations work fine and it works ok if you play direct from the phone on sonos app, so it’s obviously not that, while the main thread is 8 months old, with still no fix. If they can’t be bothered to fix these issues, I’ll be returning my Sonos One. I planned to buy another for stereo and maybe a playbar and more speakers later on,  but if the support is so poor I won’t bother. They should stop chasing sales and concentrate on fixing their products and the sales will come as a result.

What we experience seems to be a temporary issue. The thread started 6 month ago but is getting many more posts these days.

I have the 'skip'/'next' track issue with Alexa too. I am resident in the U.K. Some users here however are apparently still working okay in regard to this feature. 

I’ve tried everything I can think of to try to fix this at the user end, including removing the Alexa Assistant from all Sonos devices, deleting the Sonos Skill in the Alexa App, deregistering every Sonos device in my online Amazon account and removing the sharing agreements at ‘logon with Amazon’ .. even destroying and recreating my 'Amazon Alexa Enabled Groups’.

Despite restoring all from a 'blank canvas' and ensuring all Sonos device names remained 'unique' and did not clash with other smart-home devices etc; I still had no joy getting this issue to work correctly.

‘Skipping tracks' is currently working fine on my echo devices.

I have spoken, albeit briefly, with Sonos Staff and they were extremely helpful (as always) and have stated they are liaising with Amazon over this issue and hope to get the matter resolved soon. It clearly is only affecting some user accounts. It appears to just be case of some users waiting for a fix on the 'account' side.

Meanwhile as a bit of a workaround, Sonos Staff stated that if I initiate a playlist, or album, etc; direct/manually via the Sonos App, that the 'skipping’ of tracks using a voice instruction should then work… which it does.

So this only appears to be an issue where audio playback is started by using an Alexa voice instruction. I will now just wait patiently for this matter to be resolved and I hope the info. here may help other users who encounter this issue and perhaps saves them a little time trying to seek their own fix for the issue.

I had a similar interaction with Sonos support with the same conclusion. The technical team contacted a couple of days later to confirm that they are working on a fix. From a customer’s perspective it does reduce the usability of the device for me and am tempted to escalate it as a complaint where possible.

By the looks of it the skipping issue occurs in specific areas, it’s not widespread. Investigating will take some time. A viable alternative is to start playback from the Sonos app proceeding via voice control.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

so basically the Alexa is pointless for STARTING music. Music must be started in app if you want ability to skip. This is ridiculous. The whole idea is that you don’t need your phone????”

Agreed. Why put ‘works with Alexa’ on the box and in the speaker if it really just does not work with AlexaThis seems to be false advertising at best. Just wanting to jump on the smart speaker bandwagon and then for customers who really like the idea of voice control...we’re all simply out of luck. ‘Now works with Alexa to start music sometimes and nothing else’ might be a better line for the packaging?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

New to the page. Bought a Sonos beam start of week. 

Tell Alexa to shuffle songs by an artist and plays but only ever plays first song. And won't skip to next song. Will be sending it back end of week. Didn't pay this amount of money for a piece of s***

First call Sonos get a case reference and get them to run a diagnostic check. It’s a Sonos problem they need to fix. I totally understand when you pay for a superior brand you expect it to work. I hear it’s a server problem between Sonos and Alexa you would think 6 months after the first complaint on this forum Sonos would look into it or maybe they don’t care  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just found this thread after googling this problem. I am having the same issue here. Was very excited to finally connect Alexa (via echo dot) to my Sonos amp. I quickly became very disappointed when I realized Alexa cannot skip tracks if started by voice. Hopefully if enough of us complain about this issue, Sonos will fix it!

I purchased 5 of these Amps. This is completely unacceptable for systems that are so expensive. How can they advertise this as such a premium product but neglect a problem like this?

The problem is customers have been complaining for over 6 months but Sonos don’t seem to be bothered. I called yesterday and they said they are aware of the problem but why have they not resolved this problem??? Maybe we need to goto trading standards to take this up. I’ve looked into the amazon Alexa app Sonos skill and the number of negative reviews are over 1500 maybe more. I wanted to add my own review but I was not allowed to. This stuff isn’t cheap so as customers we pay for the ease of use and the reliability. Sonos get your act together and make your customers happy. If Amazon Dots work it has to be a Sonos issue. Awaiting a reply for Sonos for us all. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Also having this issue.. extremely frustrating.

Very rarely it will work randomly but 9 times out of 10 no.

Have searched continuously and found no solution thus far

i have this problem on my Sonos One and 2 Play 3s, speaking both to the One and my echo dot.

Has your Sonos system been sorted?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Also having this issue.. extremely frustrating.

Very rarely it will work randomly but 9 times out of 10 no.

Have searched continuously and found no solution thus far

i have this problem on my Sonos One and 2 Play 3s, speaking both to the One and my echo dot.

When did this start? Call Sonos on Monday +44-800-026-1526. We need more customers to raise this with them so they get it fixed I’m really annoyed as I use this facility so much well I used to. Maybe if we can link our amazon dots to our Sonos speakers it may work but that’s not the point. Let me know how you get on with the call to Sonos.

This is most certainly not a widespread problem, and is likely due to individual configurations rather than something Sonos must “fix”.  How do I know this? Well the one time there was a widespread problem (dropouts on the Playbar), the main thread hit 1000 posts in a few days, and that’s not including the dozens of peripheral threads on the same subject.  This thread has 34 replies in 6 months, mostly by the same few posters.  

So submit a diagnostic, and get ahold of Sonos support.  They can figure it out.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

We'd like to take a look at some data from your systems. Please reproduce the issue, then submit a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation numbers, thanks.

I assume it is a partial server overload at Amazon Web Services due to the current COVID-19 home quarantine situation.

Morning All,

My sonos 1 in last last few days will not skip to the next track when using Alexa. Works okay if I stream music from my iPhone and ask Alexa to go to next song.

I couldn’t find anything to help and spent the last hour working through the issue.

This is not a sonos issue but an Alexa problem.

I went to the skills section on the Alexa app, disabled the skill. Turned the Sonos off and back on. Re-enabled the skill “sonos” on Alexa. Didn't work the first time but definitely working again. Worked on second attempt.

As I write this, I ensured it is still working!!!

What do you mean by you turned Sonos off then back on?  I just want to make sure I do it correctly. Thanks. 

I have 3 sonos 1 speakers and a beam, and was having the same issue. I found that unplugging one speaker for a minute or so was enough to reset the whole system. Each of the speakers will now skip to the next song.
Badge

Also experiencing the same issue with Alexa and Amazon Music unlimited. Will start a playlist but not skip to the next song, will also stop playing randomly, the first playlist stopped after approximately 10 songs and the second playlist stopped after the first song.

i have sent diagnostics with code: 766986415

Hi Sonos Staff, 

Can you please advise if the issue when Sonos with Alexa doesn’t want to skip track on Spotify was resolved? 

Badge

I can also start the playlist from the app and voice commands work fine?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Same here. I’m beyond troubled they simply are not present in any threads on this issue. Either Sonos don’t care about Alexa integration or have been told don’t comment. The absence of any community presence on this topic isn’t oversight or neglect. It’s absolutely intentional. Sonos do not want to acknowledge this and either can’t fix it or don’t have any interest in fixing it.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi everyone, 

The team is working on an issue where Alexa becomes unable to skip tracks that are playing. They’re working on a resolution now, but in the meantime, you could try a few steps that might get it working on your system.

Start with removing Alexa entirely from Sonos in the Sonos app. This is in Settings > Voice Services. Then, go to the Alexa App and disable the Sonos skill and leave it disabled. Finally, go back to the Sonos app and set up Alexa again.

If that still doesn’t fix it on your system, another suggestion is to try setting this up use a different Amazon Alexa account in Sonos, if you have one.

While we get this resolved with the Alexa team, as a workaround, tracks that are added to the Sonos queue using the Sonos Controller should be skip-able with Alexa as expected. 

Thanks for your patience and I’ll update this thread when there’s more news to share. 

I removed , de-registered accounts, factory reset all my Sonos. And the problem is still there. 
please fix Sonos. 

Multiple Sonos speakers controlled by Android mobile and OS x apps. Everything up to date.

Random error when I ask to skip a song it fails -

Alexa skip song....

"Sorry I cannot skip this song."

Can provide diagnostics if necessary.
I have the exact same problem she said she can’t skip songs on all four rooms kind of defeats the purpose of having her tbh¡ Is this going to be fixed