Alexa and Sonos Megathread

• 25 September 2018
  • 38 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
A year later and still no drop-in support 😞
A year later and still no drop-in support :(

As I understand it, Amazon has not released that feature to anything but it's own echo product line at this point. I could be wrong about that, but if so, not sure Sonos can do much about that.
Badge +1
Is there any news on when/if Tidal and Alexa support will be coming to the UK? I can’t seem to find an answer on this.

thanks
Look forward Sonos with Google Home.:D
Badge +1
Are there plans to add alexa in amp or connect:amp? And when I ask about adding alexa in those sonos products, I'm talking about a built in alexa (like sonos one and beam have), rather than just an enabled skill allowing an external echo to control sonos via a skill. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They don’t lend themselves to integrated alexa. I’m sure it is s no. No real advantage building in.
Userlevel 1
Ryan -

I'm not sure where best to post the following, but this "megathread" sounded like a good starting point.

My question is:
With the recent addition of the Apple Music skill for Alexa (which, thankfully, allows Apple Music subscribers, like myself, to play my entire iCloud Music library on Amazon Alexa devices) and, keeping in my mind the Sonos skill for Alexa, do you happen to know if and/or when there will be the ability to instruct Alexa to play music from my Apple Music on my Sonos speakers? As of right now, that functionality does NOT exist and one can only play music via Alexa commands to Sonos speakers if that music falls under "Alexa music services."

I do NOT use my Amazon echos to play music in my house, as my Sonos speakers offer far superior audio quality. So, while the addition of Apple Music as an Alexa skill is certainly a step in the right direction, the inability to use Alexa voice commands to play that same music on Sonos speakers forces me to still use the iPhone app to initiate music play.

Do you know if there are plans to add this functionality? It seems silly to allow one to play Apple Music on Amazon-branded equipment, but not to allow one to use Alexa commands to play it on Sonos speakers.

Any input and/or feedback you can provide would be appreciated (and, if there's a better thread for this post, please let me know).

Thanks,
Adam
First time post. I recently bought a Sonos Beam. I have a Echo Dot in the kitchen and a Beam in the living room. Is it possible to ask the Echo Dot to set a timer and the Beam to sound the alarm when the timer is finished?
Badge
Ryan - Any update on the "ducking" issue with Amazon / Alexa ?
Badge
Ryan - Any update on the "ducking" issue with Amazon / Alexa ?

Ducking has been fixed, along with Alexa groups functionality. See this link:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-now-playing-with-alexa-groups-6817588

Awesome. Thanks! Will check it out.
I have a bit of an issue with my Sonos ones not being able to activate routines, I understand that it is not possible currently. But I have an Echo plus that I use to control all of my routines in my living room and kitichen. The problem is that the Sonos one on my kitchen counter always hears me when I activate a routine with the Echo. To which it always responds that it isn't capable of doing the routine, which I am aware of. Most of the time I am with in a few feet of the echo and the Sonos one is at least 15-20 feet away and still responds even when I talk quietly. Another odd thing is that I have another Sonos one in my master bedroom which I am closer to then the one in the kitchen and it never responds. I though maybe it was just that one and tried swapping the two around, but had the same result with the kitchen one responding to a rountine command that the echo also hears and carries out while the Sonos one is telling me It can't do it.

This gets rather annoying quickly and have currently had to mute Alexa on my Sonos One in the kitchen, which doesn't work well as the Echo that is in the living room has a hard time hearing me when I'm in the kitchen. Hence why I put a Sonos one there in the first place. Is there any plans to have a mute or similar function for things the Sonos ones can not carry out with Alexa, as hearing it tell me it can't do something multiple times a day is pointless. Even if it just responds with the no connection tone, would be a vast improvement.
Badge
Does anyone have the problem of Alexa hearing itself say “Alexa” and going on an endless loop?
I’m using a Sonos Beam with Alexa - been a few months now and been running into weird things like this.
Does anyone have the problem of Alexa hearing itself say “Alexa” and going on an endless loop?
I’m using a Sonos Beam with Alexa - been a few months now and been running into weird things like this.

No. In fact, I don't ever recall 'her' saying 'Alexa', much less triggering herself. What command is causing this to happen? Is there more than one Alexa device involved with the loop?