Alexa, play Spotify

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • Community Manager
  • 9382 replies
We’re excited to bring Spotify voice control for Alexa to Sonos with Spotify Premium.

Just ask Alexa for your favorite playlist, artist, album or song, then pause, resume, skip and adjust the volume.

For more details on Spotify and Alexa, take a look here.

Something to try?
“Alexa, play David Bowie on Spotify.”
"Alexa, Play Ultimate Indie playlist
“Alexa, play songs for working out.”

To make sure you’re listening to Spotify, you can set it as your default music service within the Alexa app.

Go to Settings in the Alexa app.
Scroll to Accounts and select Music & Media.
Select Choose default music services.
Under Default music library choose Spotify.
Tap Done.

After you’ve done this if Alexa isn’t recognizing Spotify as your default service, have Alexa discover devices.

If you don't want to change your default, just add "on Spotify" to your command to play from Spotify.

Amazon Alexa is available on the Sonos One in the US, UK, and Germany. We are committed to bringing Alexa voice control to Sonos in new regions in the future as well.

28 replies

Badge
Is this supposed to be out currently (usa)?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
sprotzman wrote:

Yes, why? Having trouble or just wondering since we got the work earlier than the timeline we gave originally?
Badge
Ryan S wrote:

sprotzman wrote:

Yes, why? Having trouble or just wondering since we got the work earlier than the timeline we gave originally?

Just some trouble. I downloaded the app (android) update this afternoon, Spotify has been set as my preferred music service within the Alexa app but Alexa responding "Something went wrong. Though... just as I typed this as a sanity check, I removed Alexa from my speakers and added back and now it works lol. I appreciate you reaching out.
Userlevel 1
Does this support family membership? ie. can my kids use their accounts to start two independant streams by voice, without affecting the other even with all Alexa devices linked to my single Amazon account?
I have added Spotify as my default music service in the Alexa app but when I ask the Play One to “play a playlist’ Alexa Just says ‘sorry something went wrong’??
Hi guys,

Just tested the Spotify integration and it seems to work reasonably well...however asking Alexa to play one Spotify playlist/album etc in one location ie Kitchen, then ask to play another Spotify playlist in another location ie Front Room stops the kitchen music.......Using the Sonos App still allows to me to select multiple streams for different rooms...but for some reason Alexa then can't control the room ie stop music/volume etc in the room that was "manually added"....is this a bug??

One of the "perks" of Sonos and Spotify was the multiple streams (when using a single Spotify account).

Furthermore......a feature request unless it is already possible....I would love to be able to assign a particular Echo Dot/product to a room for default music control.....in other words..when asking Alexa to play music with the kitchen dot I simply say "Alexa play x" which will play that on the kitchen Sonos system, rather than play out of the dot! At the moment it is really annoying Mrs S..(who I am trying to convince the merits of the Echo systems) who keeps forgetting to add the Sonos location at the end of the phrase. This could also apply to volume control etc whilst music is playing on sonos and default back to the echo dot once music is stopped.....

Keep improving though...it will get there!:D
sprotzman wrote:

Ryan S wrote:

sprotzman wrote:

Just some trouble. I downloaded the app (android) update this afternoon, Spotify has been set as my preferred music service within the Alexa app but Alexa responding "Something went wrong. Though... just as I typed this as a sanity check, I removed Alexa from my speakers and added back and now it works lol. I appreciate you reaching out.

Can I ask what you mean by removing Alexa from your speakers before adding it back? Thanks
Gavin_7 wrote:

Can I ask what you mean by removing Alexa from your speakers before adding it back? Thanks

Go to the Alexa app. Under 'Skills" disable the Sonos skill, then re-enable.
Thank you for constantly improving. I'm having the same problem as Euan S. Trying to stream different music in a separate room using Alexa and Spotify cuts off music your currently listening to. You can play multiple streams through the Sonos app. It would just be really nice to control it via voice.

And...Google Assistant support soon please. Any ETA? Like it better than Alexa

Thank you.
kevbowong wrote:

And...Google Assistant support soon please. Any ETA? Like it better than Alexa

They’ve clearly stated it will be implemented in 2018. They are unlikely to give a more specific date, due to the multiplicity of variables involved.
As I mentioned in other posts, though, while I love this integration, been waiting for it, there is a major flaw. "Alexa... Play Madonna playlist" works perfectly playing my Madonna Spotify playlist (set Spotify as default). But "Alexa... Stop...", "ALEXA... STOP", rinse and repeat, does not work. Even when she hears me. I've tried it 15x. Had to tell her to play iheartradio streaming and then tell her to stop to get it to stop. Pretty annoying.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Clinical Precision wrote:

Does this support family membership? ie. can my kids use their accounts to start two independant streams by voice, without affecting the other even with all Alexa devices linked to my single Amazon account?

Spotify on Alexa only supports one Spotify Premium account and user at a time for playback through Sonos. You can add any one of the users from your family account, but not all users. You could have all of them added to Sonos, and pick and choose which of them to use for Alexa. Then in the Sonos controller, your family could use their own accounts, and using Alexa, you could have a general family account.

Euan S wrote:

Just tested the Spotify integration and it seems to work reasonably well...however asking Alexa to play one Spotify playlist/album etc in one location ie Kitchen, then ask to play another Spotify playlist in another location ie Front Room stops the kitchen music.......Using the Sonos App still allows to me to select multiple streams for different rooms...but for some reason Alexa then can't control the room ie stop music/volume etc in the room that was "manually added"....is this a bug??

One of the "perks" of Sonos and Spotify was the multiple streams (when using a single Spotify account).

Alexa can only have one active stream to Spotify going at a time, no matter which device or Sonos play it's playing on. If you were to check your Spotify app while Alexa is playing to Sonos, you should get a message that Spotify is currently playing on the name of the Sonos player you started the stream. This is due to the standard account stream limits of Spotify. There's a special allowance for Sonos players where you can start multiple streams to Sonos players from Spotify using the Sonos app.

Also, you should be able to control a Sonos player that is playing any source using Alexa. The basic commands like pause, skip, and volume should function no matter what. If you're having trouble, it'd be good to give us a call on our support line.

Euan S wrote:

Furthermore......a feature request unless it is already possible....I would love to be able to assign a particular Echo Dot/product to a room for default music control.....in other words..when asking Alexa to play music with the kitchen dot I simply say "Alexa play x" which will play that on the kitchen Sonos system, rather than play out of the dot! At the moment it is really annoying Mrs S..(who I am trying to convince the merits of the Echo systems) who keeps forgetting to add the Sonos location at the end of the phrase. This could also apply to volume control etc whilst music is playing on sonos and default back to the echo dot once music is stopped.....

I'll pass along the request for you. This is, by the way, the way the Sonos One works. You don't need to tell it to play in a particular room unless you mean to have it control a different one.

samsneed wrote:

As I mentioned in other posts, though, while I love this integration, been waiting for it, there is a major flaw. "Alexa... Play Madonna playlist" works perfectly playing my Madonna Spotify playlist (set Spotify as default). But "Alexa... Stop...", "ALEXA... STOP", rinse and repeat, does not work. Even when she hears me. I've tried it 15x. Had to tell her to play iheartradio streaming and then tell her to stop to get it to stop. Pretty annoying.

Do you have trouble getting Alexa to hear you only when music is playing, or is it more like some commands work and not all? In either case, it'd be great to work with a technician to see if we can help sort it out. I'd also suggest that you give us a call on our support line.
Is there an Alexa voice command for adding a group? If I start by Alexa play David Bowie on Spotify in the Kitchen, how can I then add other devices, control them etc.
Euan S wrote:

I'll pass along the request for you. This is, by the way, the way the Sonos One works. You don't need to tell it to play in a particular room unless you mean to have it control a different one.

Ryan,

This particular feature would be the icing on the cake for me as it would cut down on a lot of the c**p that I have to say to Alexa to get stuff working. For those of us in the UK a similar feature recently became available for the Logitech Harmony eco-system which finally let us cut out the "ask harmony" bit.

I like the Sonos One features..but as an owner of 3 x Play 1s, Play 5 and Connect Amp....it is far easier (and cheaper!) to have Echo Dot's in each Sonos location...plus they have the extra features of Drop In/Messaging etc.

I won't hold my breath for this addition as it means selling less Sonos One's for the company....
Userlevel 1
Clinical Precision wrote:

Spotify on Alexa only supports one Spotify Premium account and user at a time for playback through Sonos. You can add any one of the users from your family account, but not all users. You could have all of them added to Sonos, and pick and choose which of them to use for Alexa. Then in the Sonos controller, your family could use their own accounts, and using Alexa, you could have a general family account.

Ryan
Thanks for the information but, for me, this is a major dissapointment. Maybe my expectations were too high but I was hoping voice integration would work the same as using the app. I'm not very technical, which is why I loved the ease of use of Sonos in the first place, but I do hope this is possible in a future improvement.
With the current set up even if we had a general account for only Alexa use, if one daughter has voice activated music in one room when my other daughter requests music in another room via Alexa it will stop the initial stream. (It will also duck music everywhere which is another issue....) Unless I'm missing something this makes using voice completely unviable in a house with numerous speakers and varying music tastes.
Badge +1
Finally Sonos one alexa now recognises spotify, but OMG it plays 3 seconds of a song then changes to the next one, then on to the next one etc,etc. Its one thing after another with sonos:@
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Nando010 wrote:

Finally Sonos one alexa now recognises spotify, but OMG it plays 3 seconds of a song then changes to the next one, then on to the next one etc,etc. Its one thing after another with sonos:@

That sounds like some network trouble that can be sorted out. Do you have trouble playing Spotify using the Sonos controller or using the Spotify app to play straight to Sonos?
I've got this working now after disabling and re-enabling the Sonos skill in Alexa as recommended here. Is it possible to play your 'Daily Mix' from Spotify through Alexa? Hasn't worked so far, even though other playlists (eg Discover Weekly) do.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Nccrow wrote:

I've got this working now after disabling and re-enabling the Sonos skill in Alexa as recommended here. Is it possible to play your 'Daily Mix' from Spotify through Alexa? Hasn't worked so far, even though other playlists (eg Discover Weekly) do.

Daily Mix isn't available on Alexa through Spotify.

From our page here we also have the following details that might help:

Spotify Radio and Podcasts are not supported when using voice with Spotify at this time. Additionally, in order to play personalized playlists (like Discover Weekly or Release Radar) via voice, you must first Follow the playlist in the Spotify app and specify "playlist" in your instruction.

You can save the playlist for your Daily Mix the same way and use it on Sonos.
I have a Dot in the living room with my PLAYBAR. If I ask "Alexa, play Discover Weekly", it plays on the Dot. If I ask, "Alexa, Play Discover Weekly in Living Room", it plays some random song from Amazon Music on my PLAYBAR. This didn't add Sonos+Spotify to Alexa, it only added Sonos One+Spotify. I'm unsure why they even sent out an email announcement for this... Disappointed again with the lack of communication by Sonos.
@Ryan S :
Spotify now works on my play 1 and play 5. That means I can play playlists BUT I can't ask Alexa to play, for instance, Michael Jackson in . It keeps telling me "I can't find songs by Michael Jackson" or any other artist for that matter. Same issue when asking Alexa to play a certain song by a certain artist. Doesn't change when I add those artists to my library... What am I doing wrong??
Badge +1
Ryan S wrote:

Nando010 wrote:

That sounds like some network trouble that can be sorted out. Do you have trouble playing Spotify using the Sonos controller or using the Spotify app to play straight to Sonos?

Just updated to 8.2.1 seems to have sorted the problem.
Thanks
dtshepherd wrote:

I have a Dot in the living room with my PLAYBAR. If I ask "Alexa, play Discover Weekly", it plays on the Dot. If I ask, "Alexa, Play Discover Weekly in Living Room", it plays some random song from Amazon Music on my PLAYBAR.

Ok so if I say “Alexa, play [playlist name] PLAYLIST in [room name]”, it works 95% of the time. If you don’t include the playlist keyword, Alexa will just play the Spotify playlist on the Dot rather than the room you specify. Petty annoying but at least there is a work-around.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
You do need to include the playlist keyword when playing a playlist. That's one of the specifics called out here

Spotify Radio and Podcasts are not supported when using voice with Spotify at this time. Additionally, in order to play personalized playlists (like Discover Weekly or Release Radar) via voice, you must first Follow the playlist in the Spotify app and specify "playlist" in your instruction.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)