Meet Sonos Beam

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
  • Community Manager
  • 10066 replies
Available on July 17th, Sonos Beam is the all-new smart speaker for your living room. Sonos Beam is everything you know to expect from a Sonos home theater speaker, now with voice control. Amazon Alexa comes built-in and support for multiple voice assistants, including Google Assistant, is coming in the future. Experience incredible sound while streaming music, watching TV and movies, enjoying podcasts and audiobooks, or playing video games.

Sonos Beam delivers rich, room-filling sound as the center of your home theater. You can make a surround sound setup with a pair of Sonos Ones, Play:1, Play:3, or Play:5 for rear speakers with the Beam, and even add a SUB for the full 5.1 surround sound experience to shake the house.

Seamless Design

The Sonos Beam comes in white or black to complement your home, and the curved silhouette quietly blends into its surroundings. With a low profile and compact size, Beam was designed to fit on credenzas or under wall mounted TVs, providing versatility. At only 25.6 inches long, Sonos Beam won’t hang off furniture, block the TV or overwhelm your space.

Every acoustic component is custom-designed by Sonos and tuned for immersive sound to fill the entire room. The Beam has four full-range woofers and a tweeter to ensure you’ll hear the true playback of mid-range vocals, plus deep, rich bass. Powered by five Class-D digital amplifiers perfectly tuned to match the speaker drivers and acoustic architecture. Three passive radiators will make deep, warm bass fill the room. Beam plays Dolby Digital 5.1 over HDMI-ARC, or PCM stereo sound.

Ready for Voice control

Sonos Beam will support Amazon Alexa in the US, UK, Germany, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and soon in France, with support for Google Assistant coming this year. If you’re in another country, Beam is future-ready for when Sonos and a voice service launch together in your region.

On top of the Alexa control already available for Sonos devices, you can use Beam with the latest Alexa-enabled video streaming devices such as Fire TV to unlock more hands-free control. You can find, launch and control video streaming content using your voice and even change channels within supported apps. Just say:  

“Alexa, turn on the TV”
“Alexa, find adventure movies on Netflix”
“Alexa, play Handmaid’s Tale on Hulu”
“Alexa, open ESPN”
“Alexa, pause.”

Some more details on Sonos Beam:
  • Simple to set-up. Plug Sonos Beam into power and then connect it to your TV using the HDMI cord. That’s it.
  • Control your way. Control Sonos Beam with your voice, the Sonos app, your existing TV remote, your favorite music service’s app, and soon, AirPlay. Capacitive touch controls for volume up/down, previous/next track, play/pause, add to group, microphone mute. LED indicates status, mute status and voice feedback.
  • Smart voice recognition. A five far-field microphone array used for advanced beamforming and multichannel echo cancellation makes sure you’re heard, even when the music is blasting, even when playing with a full 5.1 listening experience.
  • Optimized for your listening. From within the Sonos App, tap Speech Enhancement so you never miss a word, or Night Sound to amplify quiet noises and reduce loud ones so you can enjoy late night TV without waking the entire house.
  • Tune with Trueplay. Trueplay analyzes all the acoustic factors in your room—size, layout, décor and speaker placement—and tunes Beam to sound its absolute best.
  • Low profile and compact size. The dimensions are 25.625 x 3.94 x 2.70 in. (651 x 100 x 68.5 mm) and it weighs 6.2 lbs (2.8 kg).

Pre-order today on Sonos.com in stunning black or white for $399 US (€449 EUR, €449).

For more details, check out our blog post on the Sonos Beam here.

233 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I'm really excited about this. I have lots of questions but for now will just say Congratulations to everyone at Sonos as this looks like a great product ( and the Google assistant integration is great news. )
Looks perfect for bedrooms, and will hook a lot more first timers into the Sonos ecosystem.

You'll need to start another thread on compatible TVs...
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Does it support full channel stereo with HDMI-ARC input?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thanks, Sononos_fan and Chicks! We've been hard at work on this and others!

chicks wrote:

You'll need to start another thread on compatible TVs...

Agreed! HDMI-ARC with CEC will get you the best experience.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Wondering how many bedroom tv's have hdmi-arc.
Where are the upward firing Atmos speakers?;):)
Badge
So can we finally add four Sonos Speakers and a sub to get "real" 5.1 audio? For example the Beam as Center, two Play 5s as L/R and two Play 1s as Rear L/R?
So disappointed in not having Google Assistant or even mentioning that it's planned. I don't use Alexa and I'm not going to switch.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Does it mention separate front speaker channels?
ylexot wrote:

So disappointed in not having Google Assistant or even mentioning that it's planned. I don't use Alexa and I'm not going to switch.

Huh? Did you even read the post?

Sonos Beam will support Amazon Alexa in the US, UK, Germany, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and soon in France, with support for Google Assistant coming this year. If you’re in another country, Beam is future-ready for when Sonos and a voice service launch together in your region.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
sjw wrote:

Does it mention separate front speaker channels?

It does not mention at all
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
camillo777 wrote:

Does it support full channel stereo with HDMI-ARC input?

The Beam will play stereo PCM, multiple channels beyond that won't be played. With HDMI-ARC, a handshake with your TV will assure that Dolby Digital 5.1 is sent for the best sound when your source is in Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby Atmos.

Wunderwally wrote:

So can we finally add four Sonos Speakers and a sub to get "real" 5.1 audio? For example the Beam as Center, two Play 5s as L/R and two Play 1s as Rear L/R?

Not yet, but that would be awesome wouldn't it? I'll make sure the request is heard but I don't have any specifics to share. Beam will play a full 5.1 signal, even when solo, but when used with surround speakers the outer facing woofers will make a wide sound stage to get you those great sounds from the side.

sjw wrote:

Posts already being removed from this thread?

Just the spam filter hard at work. I've reclaimed your post.
sjw wrote:

Is hdmi-arc common on bedroom tv's?

It's pretty common on most TVs these days.

ylexot wrote:

It's planned, it's on the way. We haven't shared the date yet but development is ongoing. It's mentioned above in the post in the second sentence:
Ryan S wrote:

Amazon Alexa comes built-in and support for multiple voice assistants, including Google Assistant, is coming in the future

Userlevel 2
Badge
Yay, HDMI. Does this mean we finally ge additional sound formats such as DTS and Dolby Digital + ?
jgatie wrote:

ylexot wrote:

Huh? Did you even read the post?

Sorry, just read about it in a bunch of tech blogs and none of them mentioned it. I guess they didn't mention it at the event.
Badge
This is a great center speaker... Nothing more. Really was hoping for a PlayBar upgrade.... Guess Ill blow my money elsewhere.
Whyyyy!!!! I was REALLY looking forward to today’s announcement... especially given it was following the Apple keynote (hoping for a little collaboration perhaps).

I have HEAVILY invested in the Sonos ecosystem over the last few years with multiple speakers including play:1s, Play:5 (Gen 2), playbar, sub, etc. and that’s without entering the hardware controller discussion (which isn’t the point of this comment).

I was desperately hoping that today would finally bring a soundbar that works with and connects to the other equipment I have. Literally everything else in my very modest home theatre supports Dolby Atmos. WHY WON’T SONOS DO THE SAME?!

The new beam has HDMI which as cited as the reason for not including DTS or other Dolby support for the playbar (optical isn’t sufficient bandwidth I believe), and yet still we’re limited to 5.1 pcm ob this new product!

What’s wrong with grouping a playbar, sub and the required number of Sonos One speakers to achieve the ideal Atmos setup? I can group this number of speakers together now to play something from Spotify with no issue at all.

I’m VERY FAST starting to believe that Sonos aren’t interested in home theatre (just the music streaming market); but in that case; don’t release products for “home theatre” that aren’t fit for that purpose!

Very disappointed again, as with the lack of airplay 2 support on a soundbar that cost me £649 less than a year ago...
Userlevel 1
Badge
Please, please, please enable Dolby Atmos support on the Beam! :)
Nobody ever cited lack of HDMI as the reason for no DTS. DTS preceded HDMI; optical out has more than sufficient bandwidth for standard DTS and handled it just fine. Matter of fact, optical has more than sufficient bandwidth for any codec out there, even 7.1 channel lossless DTS-HD and Atmos. It's just that the manufacturers prefered HDMI because it has integrated DRM, whereas optical does not, so the advanced codecs are limited to HDMI.
Jgatie - apologies for not understanding. In which case, even less reason to include Atmos on the playbar then?
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
koppah wrote:

Please, please, please enable Dolby Atmos support on the Beam! :)

Nope. PCM, DD, DD5.1 are supported (based on what I've read). No Atmos, DTS etc
How does Beams sound compared to Playbase?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dolby Atmos requires a lot more bandwidth than the 1 Mbps that HDMI-ARC provides. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO PROVIDE ATMOS AUDIO OVER HDMI-ARC. The only way Atmos could have been provided now is if Sonos provided an HDMI passthrough... but then only one device would have Atmos support... everything else connected to the TV would still be limited to DD 5.1.

If Sonos is able to upgrade their HDMI firmware to support eARC later this year or early next year, THEN they'd be able to support Atmos and other encoding formats that need more bandwidth... assuming your TV also gets upgraded to support eARC or has HDMI 2.1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
ericsson wrote:

They both sound great! Probably best to check them out for yourself to make the decision.
n/a
Badge
ericsson wrote:

From what everyone has said that was and is still at the event. If you have a small studio or an apartment ,the beam is sufficient enough. However the PLayBar and Base still out perform the beam.
Mattmiles83 wrote:

Jgatie - apologies for not understanding. In which case, even less reason to include Atmos on the playbar then?

Yes, Atmos will never be available on the Playbar. As to the Beam? As MikeV has stated, eARC support may bring Atmos and other advanced codecs. However, eARC is fairly new, and whether Sonos is going to (or even can) bring it to this new unit remains to be seen.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings