Alexa, Read Me My Book

• 28 June 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 11429 replies
I have an exciting message to share with everyone from our team about what's new on Sonos with Alexa.

When we brought voice control to the Sonos system for the first time back in October 2017, we saw it as a start of a journey - a significant milestone, yes - but we knew it was only the beginning. With our launch, we committed to enhancing and improving voice on Sonos so that our customers could enjoy more of the content they love, with even easier access thanks to voice control. Back in March, we announced voice control support for Deezer, and only a few weeks ago we launched support for 20 of the most popular Alexa skills for the Sonos One.

Today, we continue our mission to bring you easier access to the content you care about: Audible is now available for voice control on the Sonos One!

It's as simple as walking into a room and asking your Sonos One:

"Alexa, read me my book." The last book you listened to will pick up right where you left off - with that incredible Sonos sound you love.

With Audible now playing to Sonos with Alexa, it's even easier to control your audiobook with your voice. Missed the sentence because your kids were getting rowdy in the next room? Just ask "Alexa, rewind or Alexa, go back," and your book will go back 30 seconds so you don't miss out on that important plot twist.

Need to pause your listening to make a grocery store run? Just ask "Alexa, pause," then pick up your Audible mobile app to continue the audiobook in your car on your way to the store.

Alexa can also play your audiobooks by name, pause and resume the book, skip forward and back chapters, and go forward or backward in 30-second increments.

To get started, go to the Alexa app and add Audible under Music and Books. Then, add Audible as a service to Sonos in the Sonos App (if you haven't yet) by going More > Add a Service.

Alexa control for Audible is available today for the Sonos One and Beam in all regions Audible is available, excluding New Zealand and Ireland.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Yes, Audible books working, as stated above, here in the UK ? ...thanks Sonos.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thank you so much.

Feature Request
Could you also work on getting Amazon Kindle books read to us by Alexa like the Amazon echo does please.
It would be great if we could say “Alexa read me my book in the kitchen” for use with standalone echos and any Sonos product that isn’t the Sonos One. This functionality is available for music but not audible.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
It would be great if we could say “Alexa read me my book in the kitchen” for use with standalone echos and any Sonos product that isn’t the Sonos One. This functionality is available for music but not audible.

this totally works for me, I now always say 'read me my book in the kitchen', or 'read the name of the wind in the kitchen' works fine - FYI Kitchen in our house is a ZP100