Answered

Volume levels too high after 15.2 update

Show first post

170 replies

Userlevel 1

Talked to the support just now. They are aware of the problem now and they are working on a solution whithout any time for when its done.

Userlevel 2

@Corry P : it would be great hearing back from you on this matter. Anything that you can share? Even if the implementation needs time it would be great to hear that the issue was at least acknowledged and is being worked on.

Not sure if you’ve missed it, but @Corry P has already commented on this topic here:

thanks for pointing this out but I saw it. The post is 22 days old in in the last sentence it’s mentioned that a possible mitigation will be pitched internally. I thought maybe there is something to share on that. lets see

Userlevel 1

On monday I will order 3 Apple HomePod and start lleaving Sonos. I dont see any other solution if Sonos dont see the problem. Anyone who have better suggestions on speakers?

I’m new to Sonos and very much an Apple fan, having multiple products over the years.  Undoubtedly the Era 300s are far superior to Homepods.  I have two black second generation Homepods just two months old if you’re serious about buying some.  Also got an older White original model.

I cannot buy another Sonos-product when I have to leave Sonos. Thanks for the offer but I want white.🤗

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

This volume issue is still not fixed in version 16.0, Apple Music is still noticeably louder than other music sources. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@Tom_69 

its one of the reasons I got rid of Apple Music the gain was to high for my tastes and I don’t listen to atmos music…

Userlevel 2

i’m generally a big supporter of Sonos...this is an unacceptable mistake by them.  i have 8 Sonos speakers in the house.  there are now useless (no hyperbole) for dinner music, work music or morning yoga all of which cover around 85% of my use case.  Fix this and notify users ASAP.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I’ve still not had a response from Sonos after sending multiple sets of diagnostics when testing.  

I’ve chased them for an update as I currently can’t use my speakers at night or if I want low volume listening. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

After a half hour of chat support, we have a fix! Remove your Apple Music account from your system. Reset the Sonos Controller App, then re-add your Apple Music to the services and the volumes seem fixed…….for now.

Hope this helps everyone else that lands on this thread!

Hi, I did the same, but that didn’t help. I even deleted the Sonos controller app from my iPhone. 

I also have a problem playing Apple Music Hits/Country/One. It stops playing after several minutes by itself.

Userlevel 2

I just chatted with customer support in Germany and they were aware of this issue. I was told that is being worked on but no ETA on the fix

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Kugelfang 

I have nothing more to share at this time.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

so @Tom_69 how do you propose that Sonos fix Apple’s bug.

If a bus provider cannot run a service to its scheduled timetables because the bridge over the local river is broken would you expect the bus company (my service provider) to mend the bridge?

It's unbelievable that they can't solve the problem. Apple Music is a relevant streaming provider. Answer from German service: I should use other services until the solution... It's been almost two weeks now.

Userlevel 2

Hi @Corry P ,

it has been a while since this issue came up. And the volume thing for Apple Music is still completely broken. Is there a slight chance that Sonos will fix this ? I cannot use Apple Music later on the day cause even at level 1 !! volume the speakers are still blasting the music out. 

best

thomas 

I think my issues were related to an update that was needed that I was not aware of.  Once updated, everything is back to normal!

Glad I found this thread. Not glad I found it AFTER I woke up half the house. Apparently still an issue. 

I just can’t love Sonos. 

Userlevel 2

15.8 release - no change.. still WAY too loud : /

My imperfect solution?
I’ve just bough an Homepod and everything works just as I want to..

I will use my Sonos speakers as satellites for Beam.. Anyone knows if it is possible to use more than two satellites for Beam/Arc?

Userlevel 2

I reached out to customer service and it was confirmed there too that the high volume level is by design now and not considered a bug ;-(

Userlevel 2

…. and we switched away….

Sonos should be aware of this, because it's never a good thing when customers will switch away from a beloved solution cause it stop working ….  cause maybe in the future the customer will switch away from Sonos ! So I think @Corry P , Sonos should bring back the old behavior before 15.2 maybe as an option for those customers who will maybe “switch away” 

Userlevel 2

Small update from Sonos support:

“Devices that do not support the Atmos format have received "boosted volume" to be more consistent with Apple Music volume.”

Can anyone confirm that this problem is only with speakers without Atmos?

They also said that they are working on it (and that many users already reported this problem)

-- 
Bohdan

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Have you tried a reboot of your speakers (power cycle?). 

I’ve also updated a bunch of PLAY:1s and PLAY:3s to 15.2, and have not experienced any change whatsoever in volume, thankfully. 

However, you may want to submit a system diagnostic, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network. 

Cheers, I haven’t actually tried the power cycle yet (doh!) so will do that on each speaker and test.

Good to know you’ve upgraded ok. 

I found this chart below online earlier this evening. The average Home noise is shown as being 40dB … I’m not personally finding Apple Music all that loud at the 1% level in the current App - certainly nowhere near the level that would perhaps stop me using the speakers at any time of the day, as they most certainly are not ‘blasting out’ here.

Any quieter, I would suspect the ‘Average Home Noise’ would likely take precedence. It’s why I was wondering if this is a thing that is only affecting some users and perhaps not everyone?

Userlevel 1

The only solution I see now is to buy HomePod. I tried Spotify instead for a month and its a little better but still too loud so I realise that itś time to leave Sonos behind.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Well, it’s a stretch, since I’m not sure I can understand why it’s changed volume….doesn’t make much sense to me, but hey, I’m not there on the ground. But that’s why I included the whole “call Sonos” thing. It’s certainly foreign to my update experience. As I type this, I’m listening to a pair of PLAY:1s that flank my computer screen (but are not connected to the computer, I just use the controller on the computer to play music).

Oh...it might be helpful to know the source of music, too. Pretty much most of what I play is from my NAS, but if you’re streaming from a particular service provider, that might be a key part of the whole possibility too. But again, guessing at this point :)

The music service is a good point, I started to consider whether that is the cause. 

Power cycle doesn’t help but it does seem like Apple Music has the higher volume compared to BBC Sounds or Sonos Radio. Will do some more testing tomorrow and then contact Sonos I think. 

Never had anything like this in over 10 years of Sonos ownership, it’s very odd! 

Am experiencing the same issue (w/ Apple Music only which is the music service I use 98% of the time).

Tried all of the solutions proposed in threads above (removing/re-adding Apple Music, reseting system, power cycling speakers, deleting/re-installing Sonos app on both Mac and iPhone) however none of these “solutions” worked.  

Am leaving this comment so that hopefully Sonos gives greater weight to fixing this issue and so that I can be notified of future threads.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

This is still not fixed in update 15.9. 

Any updates on progress for fixing it @Corry P ?